Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (152718 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 4:30pm On Mar 09, 2015
Plus234:
I still maintain that Agu is a Lion

Please translate the Igbo biblical phrase, 'Odum ebo Judah' for me in English.

Thank you. smiley
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

dalu nwanne m, i just wanted to straightened it out for the, even i explained cheetah and leopard with pictures

thats it

i respect your submission on igbo matters

Deeme so. smiley
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 09, 2015
kingstony2k:

I always lik dis girl.taprooted igbo girl. Go girl. GABA N' NAESOM GI NA AZU
So does dat mean u re buyin the ewe for me?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

kedu nke bu your category k am deliver the solution

jukwa ese
lol.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Kanyol(m): 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

People often mistake egbe = hawk for 'kite'. While growing up I've always known 'egbe' to be the bird that preys on chicken when its mother is unwary and each time the bird swoops down and lifts a chick, people around would shout 'egbe e burula nwa okuko o'. In English, hawks are known to prey on chicks (poultry) and kites on insects. More correctly, 'egbe' = hawk.
Hawk is ogankwo, kite is egbe
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Kanyol(m): 7:00pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Hyena is edi abali
Hyena or fox? undecided
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Kanyol(m): 7:07pm On Mar 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Please translate the Igbo biblical phrase, 'Odum ebo Judah' for me in English.

Thank you. smiley
Bros, there are only agu and odum in Igbo literature, and they refer to leopard - or any spotted cat - and lion. Tiger is not recognised, but if we must give it a place, it should be called odum too
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2015
Hyena

Fox is also not found in a$rica just like wolf and racoon but these animals are. Dogs

Kanyol:

Hyena or fox? undecided
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:50pm On Mar 09, 2015
LovelyLilac:
lol.

Nne nke ina amuli ka onye ana etinye aka na ikpu..:i hope that udo di

Emecha ka anyi chuo na owere nchi
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by simdam500(m): 9:10pm On Mar 09, 2015
LovelyLilac: Ok boss. When you cook your Otu and Amu soup finish, let me know. wink

I'll take that as a clue cheesy wink wink
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 9:32pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:
Hyena

Fox is also not found in a$rica just like wolf and racoon but these animals are. Dogs

That's wrong. Foxes are found in Africa and even Nigeria. Some of them are exclusively found only in Africa. These species include, The bat eared fox (east and southern Africa) and Fennec fox (sahara and north Africa) and the pale fox (Sahel and sometimes savanna belt of Africa, where parts of Nigeria fall in)
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 9:42pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:
Hyena

That's wrong. Foxes are found in Africa and even Nigeria. Some of them are exclusively found only in Africa. These species include, The bat eared fox (east and southern Africa) and Fennec fox (sahara and north Africa) and the pale fox (Sahel and sometimes savanna belt of Africa, where parts of Nigeria fall in)

There are wolfs that are native to Africa too. Like the Ethiopian wolf and Egyptian wolf...It is possible that wolf existed in Nigeria too. There is a popular name in Yoruba, "Ajanlekoko"...meaning "Dog chases the wolf".
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 9:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
Eke40seven:

There are wolfs that are native to Africa too. Like the Ethiopian wolf and Egyptian wolf...It is possible that wolf existed in Nigeria too. There is a popular name in Yoruba, "Ajanlekoko"...meaning "Dog chases the wolf".

Dont cofuse similarity. Wolfs are not found here and foxes might cos I recall those night dogs that eat hen

But you don't find wolf and raccoon here

What was that langauge you spoke again dear
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 10:18pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Dont cofuse similarity. Wolfs are not found here and foxes might cos I recall those night dogs that eat hen

But you don't find wolf and raccoon here

What was that langauge you spoke again dear
If you read my post well you will see that I was specific about the names of these species and not just give a generic term to show you that I am actually stating what i am sure of and for you to further verify the veracity of my statements. Check IUCN list of animals and their locations and descriptions to see what I mean or just Google them out and check their geographical distribution. I gave that example to show that the name didn't only occur among the Igbos but also our southern neighbours, the Yoruba's. That's no coincidence or is it?

And the fact that they may not be found now doesn't mean they could not have existed sometimes in the past.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 09, 2015
simdam500:

I'll take that as a clue cheesy wink wink
How do you mean?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 09, 2015
Hmmmm! O gi na arunye mu aka n'ikpu? So gi jebe owere nchi.
tonychristopher:

Nne nke ina amuli ka onye ana etinye aka na ikpu..:i hope that udo di

Emecha ka anyi chuo na owere nchi

2 Likes

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 3:57am On Mar 10, 2015
Kanyol:

Bros, there are only agu and odum in Igbo literature, and they refer to leopard - or any spotted cat - and lion. Tiger is not recognised, but if we must give it a place, it should be called odum too

You are only re-iterating what I already said before: lion = odum, and agu = leopard. So, what is your point?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 4:01am On Mar 10, 2015
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 4:16am On Mar 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Erm...I've seen 'egbe' carry chicks many times before, and I have a pretty good idea what they look like. When I checked out the pictures of hawks and kites, I found out that the pictures of the kites, especially the Black kites (and not the hawks) match the 'egbe' I have seen. Their behaviour as described in available literature also match that of 'egbe'.
For example, the black kites, apart from carrying off chicks and other little birds are attracted by fires. This is typical 'egbe' behaviour.

Chinua Achebe in his novels also translated 'egbe' as 'kite'.

I think Google Translate has got this one wrong.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by bigfrancis21: 4:45am On Mar 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Erm...I've seen 'egbe' carry chicks many times before, and I have a pretty good idea what they look like. When I checked out the pictures of hawks and kites, I found out that the pictures of the kites (and not the hawks) match the 'egbe' I have seen. Chinua Achebe in his novels also translated 'egbe' as 'kite'.

I think Google Translate has got this one wrong.

Could there be physical variations in the african kite and the pictures of kites you looked up online, probably foreign species? Many dictionaries I've checked becaue of this issue renders hawk = egbe.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 4:56am On Mar 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Could there be physical variations in the african kite and the pictures of kites you looked up online, probably foreign species? Many dictionaries I've checked becaue of this issue render hawk = egbe.

I made some modifications to my earlier comment while you were replying to it.

According to material I consulted, the black kite (a species widespread in Nigeria and other African countries) besides looking very much like 'egbe' also exhibit typical egbe behavioural traits.

For example the black kites are attracted to smokes and fires, and will often be seen hovering over fires. This is a classic 'egbe' characteristic. Our ancestors even made a how-and-why story explaining why 'egbe' are attracted to fires.

I don't know who are making the dictionaries and who translate for Google and whether they are qualified to do so. But my own observations have led me to think they are probably wrong.

Besides I respect Achebe's opinion in these matters. And he thought kite was egbe. grin
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by ChinenyeN(m): 5:17am On Mar 10, 2015
I'm wondering who wrote the dictionaries and made that Google Translate entry (and where in Igboland they're from). Anyway, it's pretty well established in the southern axis (I can't speak for other axes) that egbe is kite. We even have personal and praise names based on it.

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 5:55am On Mar 10, 2015
Radoillo:

I made some modifications to my earlier comment while you were replying to it.

According to material I consulted, the black kite (a species widespread in Nigeria and other African countries) besides looking very much like 'egbe' also exhibit typical egbe behavioural traits.

For example the black kites are attracted to smokes and fires, and will often be seen hovering over fires. This is a classic 'egbe' characteristic. Our ancestors even made a how-and-why story explaining why 'egbe' are attracted to fires.

I don't know who are making the dictionaries and who translate for Google and whether they are qualified to do so. But my own observations have led me to think they are probably wrong.

Besides I respect Achebe's opinion in these matters. And he thought kite was egbe. grin

You are very right. The black kite which is the specie common in southern Nigeria is known to all living Igbos as Egbe. They are known for hovering and soaring when in flight unlike the hawk which is quite smaller with a patterned feather and flies in quick bursts. That's the one my parents and many in the village identify as Nkwo.

The bird , black kite is also quite popular in Western Nigeria and they call it ásá. while the hawk translates to asadi.
Google translate is definitely very wrong on that. I'm wondering if there is a way to bring it to their notice for posterity sake. Ha biko kwa emebila asusu anyi.

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Kanyol(m): 6:13am On Mar 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are only re-iterating what I already said before: lion = odum, and agu = leopard. So, what is your point?
Ok, maybe I quoted the wrong person
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by simdam500(m): 8:38am On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac: How do you mean?

I mean thanks for telling me the igbo meaning... I appreciate .

Btw, my åMû is missing a øTü cos she traveled to Sambisa cheesy
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:39am On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:

lol

nne idi ezigbo funny, ichokwa k am runye gi, odikwa mma. Igbo siri na akpa ofuma aruhu na ute.

Arinze na nke gi bu ikpu otu esiri kwuo maka na oya bu my specification, udi ndi nwere obele aji...mana igbo na asi na okeikpu ana atu ujo, oya ga ara onwe ya? okwa ilu ka m na aturu gi ...mana nsogbu adighi

ebe isiri m jebe owere nchi, ka m jebe sie owere nchi ka m chere gi ebe ahu. Ona adikwa mma na owere nchi...jukwa Rochas bu onye ochichi ma obu ijukw ikiri ya bu ohakim

Chukwu dubere m gi ma gozie gi

nwanyi oma
enenebe ikpu esie osikapa

kedu peppyluv m ?

3 Likes

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 8:49am On Mar 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

lol

nne idi ezigbo funny, ichokwa k am runye gi, odikwa mma. Igbo siri na akpa ofuma aruhu na ute.

Arinze na nke gi bu ikpu otu esiri kwuo maka na oya bu my specification, udi ndi nwere obele aji...mana igbo na asi na okeikpu ana atu ujo, oya ga ara onwe ya? okwa ilu ka m na aturu gi ...mana nsogbu adighi

ebe isiri m jebe owere nchi, ka m jebe sie owere nchi ka m chere gi ebe ahu. Ona adikwa mma na owere nchi...jukwa Rochas bu onye ochichi ma obu ijukw ikiri ya bu ohakim

Chukwu dubere m gi ma gozie gi

nwanyi oma
enenebe ikpu esie osikapa

kedu peppyluv m ?
Haaaaaa! Umu nnaa, jiri nu ya nwayoo.... O gini ka okeikpu mekwalu ozo?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Okeikpu(m): 8:52am On Mar 10, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Nne kedu? Ife gi n'amasikwa nu mu ( ˘ ³˘)❤
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:54am On Mar 10, 2015
Eke40seven:

nna, i talk with authority, those that know me here know that i make statement and support it with facts. Wolfs and Racoon are not found in Africa and the only one found in africa is in ethipoia and it is in isolation and Igboland is very far from Abyysnia or Ethipoia and we cant have a name for wolf nor racoon

pls read this

remember we have many canine family animals like Black-backed jackal (Canis mesomelas),Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda),Dhole (Cuon alpinus),Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

mind you all these are Nkita ohia or you can call them edi

The Ethiopian wolf is also known as the Abyssinian wolf, Abyssinian fox, red jackal, Simien fox and Simien jackal. It is one of the most threatened canids in the world and the only wolf species to be found in Africa.

HOW ARE ETHIOPIAN WOLVES CLASSIFIED?

Living things can be organised into different groups. Species that are alike are grouped together. This is called classification.

Class: Mammals
Order: Carnivores
Family: Canids
Species: Canis simensis

ETHIOPIAN WOLVES ARE SPECIAL

Ethiopian wolves have long legs and a long, pointed muzzle and weigh between 11 and 19kg. They are a distinctive bright tawny red in colour with paler under parts and a black bushy tail. During the breeding season and pregnancy the female will turn a paler, more golden colour. There are thought to be fewer than 500 Ethiopian wolves remaining.

DISTRIBUTION

The Ethiopian wolf is confined to seven isolated subpopulations in different mountain ranges of the Ethiopian highlands, at altitudes above 3000m. More than half of the population lives in the Bale Mountains.

Map showing distribution of the Ethiopian Wolf
http://www.bornfree.org.uk/animals/ethiopian-wolves/facts/
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 8:57am On Mar 10, 2015
Okeikpu:
Haaaaaa! Umu nnaa, jiri nu ya nwayoo.... O gini ka okeikpu mekwalu ozo?

obiakwa..ajo anu, nwa si owerre ba nne ya afor, anu ana agba egbe ona acho gold circle condom, anu ana atu iche ona agba ncha , nwoke jebere obodo oyibo rapu otu ndioch my god....

asi m ya na okeipku araupu oga ara onwe ya? ajuju bu ife a

nna kedu ije?
ana emekwa?
nda ka europe di?

udo chia

LovelyLilac juo okeipku ese...okwa ka ora m na onu

emecha ibia ka anyi tule ife gi

1 Like

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Mikwus(f): 9:09am On Mar 10, 2015
okoyemike:
Lion is Agu

Leopard is Odum. not the other way round

Lion is odum

Leopard is agu

If you are christian then translate "the LION of the Tribe of Judah in Igbo"

2 Likes

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 9:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Now i have anothoner challenge umunne m

we have apes in igbo land such as Monkey, Gorrilla, Chimpanzees and Baboon but what we have in Igbo land is just enwe and ozodigba

Enwe is monkey
Ozodingba is ?

I dont trust google translator cos i dont know who gave them those igbo dictionary so can someone look at these animals

also what about eke

Eke is is boa constrictor, Python or ananconda

dalu nu

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.