Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,409 members, 7,954,624 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:24 AM

Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! (8493 Views)

Osama Bin Laden's Family Members Die In Plane Crash / French Cartoon About Africans Drowning In The Mediterranean Sea / Photos: Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by blackmann(m): 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2009
I'm watching the "landing" right now. the pilot was a genius. He diverted from the populated neighbourhood and landed the plane in the water. with no engine power.

the problem we have in this country is that we do not have an effective rescue system. Look at what happened to sosoliso the other day. If our fire and rescue systems were up and running, i'm sure about half of the passengers would have been saved.

Everything boils down to the corrupt nature of our leaders. I wonder what sort of ego would make someone continue to hold on to a position when it was glaring enough that he/she cannot perform I mean. . . .4 plane crashes in a year!!! where can that happen in this world except in Nigeria?!!! And instead of the idiots to resign, they continued to put the blame on the dead. God is a patient God.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 12:15pm On Jan 18, 2009
blackmann:

I'm watching the "landing" right now. the pilot was a genius. He diverted from the populated neighbourhood and landed the plane in the water. with no engine power.

the problem we have in this country is that we do not have an effective rescue system. Look at what happened to sosoliso the other day. If our fire and rescue systems were up and running, i'm sure about half of the passengers would have been saved.

Everything boils down to the corrupt nature of our leaders. I wonder what sort of ego would make someone continue to hold on to a position when it was glaring enough that he/she cannot perform I mean. . . .4 plane crashes in a year!!! where can that happen in this world except in Nigeria?!!! And instead of the idiots to resign, they continued to put the blame on the dead. God is a patient God.

, and your point here is?
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 12:25pm On Jan 18, 2009
If a plane crashes in Nigeria because birds hits the plane, all of you will shout, oh, it can only happen in Nigeria, you will say it is witchcraft, now it happens in America, it becomes the eight wonder of the world. I bow for my so called Nigerian citizens.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by blackmann(m): 12:50pm On Jan 18, 2009
My point is that due to the corrupt nature of our so-called leaders, such basic things as fire and rescue systems are not functional. they'll rather divert the funds meant for such important things into their own selfish vendettas. I'm not saying that because this happened in America, it cannot happen in Nigeria. Abi when that plane crashed into a bunch of cows at the Port Harcourt airport, didn't the pilot still manage to stop the plane safely? What about the Chachangi Plane that skidded off the runway sometimes last year(i can't remember which airport it happened). Nobody died in that crash. There have been so many near mishaps in this country which have been prevented by the skills of the pilots.

All i'm saying is that little things matter in everyday life. Have i made myself clear, mon amigo?
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by tpia: 4:20pm On Jan 18, 2009
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by drossy(m): 6:42pm On Jan 18, 2009
aside the pilot, the shocking thing was the response time!! i had just passed the river 15 minutes ago, i only suspected after i noticed many ambulances all heading the same way, 5 minutes after the announcement on radio!!!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Princek12(m): 8:01pm On Jan 18, 2009
@ Sapphic
Many people maybe misconstruing what Sapphic is saying. I think he is not referring to the incompetence of Nigerian pilots--since our pilots probably have similar training as American pilots, but the likelihood that if the accident had happened in Nigeria the response to save the passsengers would have been abysmal. I agree.

In Nigeria, a response to a house fire that happens on land is very lack lustre, talkless of responding to a downed bird in, say, River Niger. In the Nigeria that I know, the passengers would have perished in River Niger before arrival of rescue teams, if they ever show up. I am also infuriated at how some people stare in the other direction of reality under the cloak of patriotism; yet, this same people are living in foreign countries. In other words, I am disgusted at how people are accusing  of negativism people who are constructively criticizing Nigeria. Hey, like Sapphic said, " a spade is a spade."

Personally, I am a proud Nigerian and would criticize Nigeria of any inadequacies they display. I would also praise her when she so deserves.  I reiterate: if the accident had happened in Nigeria, it is very statistically probable that many, if not all, the passengers would have perished. Peace.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by kingzli(m): 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2009
This is really wonderful and can be classified as a miracle. For all of the passengers to survive is really the work of God
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by idupaul: 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
This is really wonderful and can be classified as a miracle. For all of the passengers to survive is really the work of God

oya go ur church give testimony
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Uwaje: 11:21pm On Jan 18, 2009
Why is it that when something heroic happens in America, SOMEONE ALWAYS has to compare what it would have happened if it were NIGERIA? okay we get it, if it was in Nigeria, help wouldnt have come so damn fast, but damn lets just talk about the miracle that just happened and the CAPTAIN WHO FLEW THE PLANE, I still cant get over the selfless way he acted, wow.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Princek12(m): 4:22am On Jan 19, 2009
Uwaje
you dey vex because they are comparing the rescue efforts in America to Nigeria? Why should we not compare them when just about everything in our country is dysfunctional, yet we have been selling oil for almost 40 years. When things like this happen, it opens old wounds about how incompetent and corrupt our government is. I can't blame the people that complain.

Yes, we know we should be thankful of the miracle, but damn we should also have the freedom to criticize out garbage government that have ran our country into a state of quagmire. Abeg, make people yan wetin dem wan yan. It's about time people express their frustration against the government at the slightest opportunity and in any medium.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by minto(m): 7:32am On Jan 19, 2009
As we salute the expertise of Sully in safe landing or is it safe crashing? the jet, let's give all glory to God almighty for His mercies. Bird strike, as they call it could happen anywhere, anytime and it takes divine intervention to put things right in such situation. As much as I dread local flight within Nigeria, I still believe we have intelligent pilots who could handle similar situation succesfully but prompt rescue operations might not be there like it was on Hudson and that's where the difference lies.
  I once had auto crash on Lagos/Ibadan expressway with 3 other friends; we almost bleed to death waiting for help from the police. According to one of us who was very conscious of what was going on then, we layed helplessly there for close to one hr. But as soon as a volunteer took us to the hospital, the police came around and towed  our vehicle to their station, ransacked the baggages and ridiculously helped themselves to whatever caught their fancy, including colognes and disposabe camera. As if that was not enough, we were made to pay a some of 20,000 before the car was released to us "for endangering other people's life". I never stopped asking myself, HOW?
  However, there is nothing impossible for God. He can turn the situation around and make our country what we all wish her to be. Let's keep praying.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Psoul(m): 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2009
WHATZ DIA, I CAN EVEN DO BETTER DAN D PILLOT. I'VE DONE IT B4 AND WILL STILL DO IT AGAIN
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by JazzFreak(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2009
Princek12:

Uwaje
you dey vex because they are comparing the rescue efforts in America to Nigeria? Why should we not compare them when just about everything in our country is dysfunctional, yet we have been selling oil for almost 40 years. When things like this happen, it opens old wounds about how incompetent and corrupt our government is. I can't blame the people that complain.

Yes, we know we should be thankful of the miracle, but damn we should also have the freedom to criticize out garbage government that have ran our country into a state of quagmire. Abeg, make people yan wetin dem wan yan. It's about time people express their frustration against the government at the slightest opportunity and in any medium.

Well said Bro wink

Unfortunately, the incident if it had occured in Nigeria could having been after landing crashing on river Ogun, no one in goverment or it's rescue agencies will have a clue on how to go about the rescue.
Eventually, all that had earlier survived the crash will now drown when left too long on water. cry

Square pegs in round holes.
They are all clueless as to what they (Nigerian Goverment) should be doing. Kolo people.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Truequest(m): 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2009
minto:

As we salute the expertise of Sully in safe landing or is it safe crashing? the jet, let's give all glory to God almighty for His mercies. Bird strike, as they call it could happen anywhere, anytime and it takes divine intervention to put things right in such situation. As much as I dread local flight within Nigeria, I still believe we have intelligent pilots who could handle similar situation succesfully but prompt rescue operations might not be there like it was on Hudson and that's where the difference lies.
  I once had auto crash on Lagos/Ibadan expressway with 3 other friends; we almost bleed to death waiting for help from the police. According to one of us who was very conscious of what was going on then, we layed helplessly there for close to one hr. But as soon as a volunteer  took us to the hospital, the police came around and towed  our vehicle to their station, ransacked the baggages and ridiculously helped themselves to whatever caught their fancy, including colognes and disposabe camera. As if that was not enough, we were made to pay a some of 20,000 before the car was released to us "for endangering other people's life". I never stopped asking myself, HOW?
  However, there is nothing impossible for God. He can turn the situation around and make our country what we all wish her to be. Let's keep praying.

Spot on dear rather see this i-laugh will rather attack any one who dare say that our emergency response system needs attention. Even as I write now other incidences that could have been either averted or loss minimized are going on all due to negligence. The way out; see the problem name it, then together let's get  for them
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by jidobaba(m): 8:47pm On Jan 19, 2009
Pls why all d noise. D pilot did well no doubt, but d RIVER was FROZEN. Now, d layer of ice & d frozen, dense water acted as a perfect buffer for d belly-landing. 'wuld have been surprisd if anybody died ! All dis noise is due to western propaganda machine tryin to make americans seem like demi-gods, and we're helping dem! 'nuff said.
God bless Nigeria!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Princek12(m): 12:16am On Jan 20, 2009
jidobaba:

Pls why all d noise. D pilot did well no doubt, but d RIVER was FROZEN. Now, d layer of ice & d frozen, dense water acted as a perfect buffer for d belly-landing. 'wuld have been surprisd if anybody died ! All dis noise is due to western propaganda machine tryin to make americans seem like demi-gods, and we're helping dem! 'nuff said.
God bless Nigeria!

Jidobaba

Is it western propaganda machine that Nigeria does not have stable electricity? is it western propaganda machine that there is barely, if any, an efficient rescue service in Nigeria (fire rescue, police, coast guard rescue etc?) is it propaganda that there is no running water and dilapidated roads? is it western propaganda that majority of Nigeria's oil wealth has been hijacked by our previous leaders. Keep it real, Abeg. I guess you are used to suffering and you lack exposure; that is why you don't recognise a swift response by rescue teams, and think Nigeria is run the way any country that is 8th on OPEC should be run.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ayobase(m): 9:26am On Jan 21, 2009
the plane must have crashed
if it were to be a sort of of forest
in Nigeria or without.

Ice is a nice place to land so far
it is thick to withstand the weight
of the plane for a proportional period
of time.

Its what our pilots can do here
what do u think might have happened
if all those crashes we have been experiencing
have been on Ice or in a river?
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by jidobaba(m): 5:58pm On Jan 21, 2009
@princek12, òdè ni è shà. if u were exposed u wuld at least know not to argue ad hominem.
Nigeria is down because of fat,theiving officials but God forbid we remain down because of perpetual pessimists.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Princek12(m): 1:25pm On Jan 22, 2009
jidobaba:

@princek12, òdè ni è shà. if u were exposed u wuld at least know not to argue ad hominem.
Nigeria is down because of fat,theiving officials but God forbid we remain down because of perpetual pessimists.

Jidobaba

Iwo gangan ni mungun. Also, for your information, the plane did not land on ice and the river was not frozen-- there were ice patches on the river. Furthermore, what I am talking about is not the skill of the pilot, or the skill of our Nigerian pilots: I have always intimated that our pilots are very good. The issue is that Nigeria's emergency services are almost non existent, and it is very sad that for a country that grosses so much in oil revenue.

If you cannot understand that, there is nothing I can do to help you. Either you are used to being infrastructural and economically deprived by your govt., or you are blinded to reality; and that is a problem a lot of Nigerians face. A little exposure will cure that. That is not ad hominen, it is a theory. Once you expose yourself you will understand what I mean. It is also sad that when people speak reality about a problem that has destroyed our country, you seem to allude to the fact that the problem is caused by "perpetual pessimists." That underscores the fact that you are in some state of delusion, and you may need divine intervention to cure you of that; or maybe you are just an unrealistic optimist. Whichever one, you need help.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Konquest: 4:03am On Jan 26, 2009
Quote from: chidichris #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28 AM

God at work above other things. with him nothing is impossible.
glory be to God.
americans have value for lives. their rescue is second to non.
if that plane crashlanded in nigeria since yesterday, i bet u by now efforts to reach rescue teams will be meeting the woman voice in mtn saying the number u are trying to reach is either switched off or out of the coverage area.
the nigerian police will tell u that there is no official reports on the incident yet.
Great americans, i wish they will start slave trading again so that i will sale myself to them.

@ chidichris

I'm surprised that you could allow the thought of allowing yourself to be SOLD into slavery via the trans-Atlantic slave trade to crop up here! It isn't funny at all to me or to millions of  people (, including the 21st century descendants of Africans who were deported from Africa to the Americas, Europe and Asia against their will) who have read extensively about this despicable trade. I don't know what you were thinking off when you typed that "slave trade" sentence.

On the other hand I would like to re-emphasise that Nigerian pilots and Aeronautic engineers were also trained in top-notch aviation institutions around the world - especially the United States and could have done what the brave US Airways Capt. Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger and co-pilot Jeff Skiles did under the same conditions especially since the Hudson's waters were partly icey and frigid. If a crash had taken place in the Lagos Lagoon, conditions would definitely be different than the Hudson River situation.

[/b]

Just a quick reminder. One of Chanchangi's Boeing 727 aircraft with registration number 5N BEU with about 81 persons, including the crew on board, crashed-landed at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday 29 December 2004 after a flight from Port Harcourt when the nose wheel gear failed to eject. The 81 people on board were uninjured and there was no major damage to the plane.

The technical failure forced the pilot, [b]Captain Bode Olubiyi
, to declare an emergency.

Briefing newsmen on the development, the Media Assistant to the Director General of NCAA, Mr. Sam Adurogboye, said the Authority decided to ground the operations of all Boeing 727 on the airline's fleet to make sure they did not have a similar problem.

"We have suspended the operation of Chanchangi's 727 to check for the malfunctioning of the undercarriage. We want to find out if it affected other aircraft in the category," he said.

[color=#770077]Adurogboye praised the pilot's experienced handling of the emergency situation without any damage to the aircraft or loss of life.

He added that the suspension, which does not have a time limit, would also enable NCAA to take a proper look at the documentation of the airline. Adurogboye said the runway 9L had been cleared of the aircraft, while the foam used to prevent the occurrence of fire following the emergency landing had be washed away for inward bound flight.

Captain Bode Olubiyi's expert landing of the plane on 29th December 2004 still remains fresh in my mind since the picture of the plane was splashed on the front pages of some top Nigerian newspapers like Punch and I still have that copy of The Punch filed away  in my archives. I expected the federal government to have given the pilot and his crew national awards for averting what would have led to the death of all those on board if the pilot and the ground rescue team at MMA had not worked together to bring down the plane on it's belly - yes the plane landed without tyres on the runway and I was very proud of the pilot then when I first saw the pictures.

We need to use out of the excess crude oil windfall to purchase modern Search-and-Rescue equipment like the giant crane that  was use to lift the US Airways plane from the Hudson River for example. So let us NOT be negative about our country but continue to work on our deficiencies - while learning from our failures!

I tried Googling the Internet for the pictures of the Chanchangi's Boeing 727 aircraft and Capt. Bode Olubiyi to upload in this thread site but couldn't get them.
[/b][/color]

More Sources: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanchangi_Airlineshttp://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/157288-changchangi-crash-lagos.html)

Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Konquest: 4:07am On Jan 26, 2009
Here are more pictures of the ditched plane being lifted out of the icey Hudson River.

Enjoy! smiley

Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by olugbon01(m): 7:41pm On Sep 10, 2009
It's God at work & not man> I salute the Guytoo
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by FBS: 9:12am On Sep 14, 2009
olugbon01:

It's God at work & not man> I salute the Guytoo
YES ooooooooooooo
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Ibomade1: 11:18am On Sep 02, 2010
The Pilot try sha. cos the co-pilot was scared stiff

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Here's Who Would Win If Russia, China, And America All Went To War Right Now / Robert Mugabe Is Dead? / Deadly Earthquake Leaves 7 Dead And 318 Hospitalised In Taiwan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.