Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,661 members, 7,823,876 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! (8408 Views)

Osama Bin Laden's Family Members Die In Plane Crash / French Cartoon About Africans Drowning In The Mediterranean Sea / Photos: Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by dtwsola(m): 10:27pm On Jan 16, 2009
Funny how everyone is calling this an act of god. So if the plane had crashed and everybody on board perished should we then curse God. Can't have it both ways. The outcome was due to a cool-headed smart, pilot, a highly competent evacuation team, and chance (good luck), not any supernatural nonsense.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Truequest(m): 11:00pm On Jan 16, 2009
I have had a good laugh reading thru all the responses to this thread,
some have queried why anyone should think that we cannot achieve
similar feat here others countered by narrating how poor our
response teams are. I whispered to myself that patriotism is good o!
But there is nothing patriotic in seeing a problem and covering it rather
than naming it and finding ways of dealing with it. Not long ago an air
craft crashed not into any river but right there at the airport and there
was almost no survivor, why? they were all burnt to death after the crash.
I can go on to bring to your notice similar occurrences but don't let me bug
you with more. Naija 4 life!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Outstrip(f): 12:10am On Jan 17, 2009
The level headedness of the passengers alone contributed to them all getting out alive. My big sis works with NNPC on a flight going to Warri there was really bad turbulence and they were trying to calm people down and telling everyone to sit down with their seat belts fastened. She said people were still getting out and kneeling in the ailses and praying loudly. If that plane had gone down all those people kneeling would at the very least have serious lifethreatening injuries. These people styaed calm and that was major. There was a woman with a baby. I cannot even imagine the terror she was feeling. God is truly wonderful. I cried when I thought about that woman with the baby. I have flown so many times with my 1 yr old and 2 year old. This got me thinking if that is even a good idea anymore. Imagine when you are responsible for the safety of two people and you know that nobody else will give their life for your child like you will. I was thinking I was having a bad day until I saw the breaking news. God is good. God is good. God is good.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by jidody(m): 12:29am On Jan 17, 2009
For those that are old enough to remember the 1991 C130 crash at Ejigbo, you will understand why some people are pessimistic about the Nigerian rescue situation. The gentlemen officers involved in that crash did not die as a result of the impact of the crash. They died from suffocation because rescue efforts did not get to them for over 24 hours. Sadly, almost 20 years after, not much improvement has been made in terms of the emergency rescue efforts. NEMA has only one helicopter for rescue efforts covering the whole country. We are left purely to the grace of God in Naija.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Hauwa1: 1:02am On Jan 17, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God at work above other things. with him nothing is impossible.
glory be to God.
americans have value for lives. their rescue is second to non.
if that plane crashlanded in nigeria since yesterday, i bet u by now efforts to reach rescue teams will be meeting the woman voice in mtn saying the number u are trying to reach is either switched off or out of the coverage area.
the nigerian police will tell u that there is no official reports on the incident yet.
Great americans, i wish they will start slave trading again so that i will sale myself to them.

chidichris made me laugh tire
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Treetop20(m): 1:04am On Jan 17, 2009
*Hauwa*:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God at work above other things. with him nothing is impossible.
glory be to God.
americans have value for lives. their rescue is second to non.
if that plane crashlanded in nigeria since yesterday, i bet u by now efforts to reach rescue teams will be meeting the woman voice in mtn saying the number u are trying to reach is either switched off or out of the coverage area.
the nigerian police will tell u that there is no official reports on the incident yet.
Great americans, i wish they will start slave trading again so that i will sale myself to them.

chidichris made me laugh tire

this made me chuckle a bit
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by rubi(f): 1:57am On Jan 17, 2009
God of miracle has done it.
God bless America the land I love
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Caradona(f): 3:09am On Jan 17, 2009
I was supposed to Fly out to Lagos from Houston via London and saw this Crash on CNN while I was in the Airport.
I was too Scared To Travel and I Had to Cancel My Flight.
And the Airline I was supposed to fly with, refused to refund my Money oooo
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by bawomolo(m): 6:11am On Jan 17, 2009
if na for port hacourt, they would be rescued by MEND and taken hostage right after.

lmao
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by tosinaded(m): 1:43pm On Jan 17, 2009
the thing be like hoolywood film when i dey watch am live for fox!!!!
only thing was that the cameras were not enuf, no close shots and so on!!!!
i for mistake am for movie grin

waiting for a movie from this incident cool
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 1:51pm On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

The Pilot was BRILLIANT and showed guts. Thank God nobody lost his/her life.

It is not a matter of bad mouthing Nigeria or being negative. It is a case of realism. Someone has to call a spade a spade abeg. If it was Nigeria, it is more likely than not that the people would have perished before or upon landing. But just for the sake of argument, if in Nigeria a pilot had gotten a plane safely on the River Niger or River Benue for example, many or most passengers would have likely DROWNED because our rescue services are practically non-existent (or if I want to be kind, they are grossly incompetent).

When Nigeria has something good to talk about, I'll be up there singing her praises. Until then, I'll tell it like it really is.

Foolish nin compoop - must everything that happens in America be compared to things at home? You need to get your head examined.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 1:53pm On Jan 17, 2009
Truequest:

I have had a good laugh reading thru all the responses to this thread,
some have queried why anyone should think that we cannot achieve
similar feat here others countered by narrating how poor our
response teams are. I whispered to myself that patriotism is good o!
But there is nothing patriotic in seeing a problem and covering it rather
than naming it and finding ways of dealing with it. Not long ago an air
craft crashed not into any river but right there at the airport and there
was almost no survivor, why? they were all burnt to death after the crash.
I can go on to bring to your notice similar occurrences but don't let me bug
you with more. Naija 4 life!     

and you will close your mouth in shame when you count how many air crashes had occured in America with no single soul surviving, because this happened now, so America is in your own book, the only place it can happen, foking American third class citizen.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2009
jidody:

For those that are old enough to remember the 1991 C130 crash at Ejigbo, you will understand why some people are pessimistic about the Nigerian rescue situation. The gentlemen officers involved in that crash did not die as a result of the impact of the crash. They died from suffocation because rescue efforts did not get to them for over 24 hours. Sadly, almost 20 years after, not much improvement has been made in terms of the emergency rescue efforts. NEMA has only one helicopter for rescue efforts covering the whole country. We are left purely to the grace of God in Naija.

And how many people died during 911, why cant your great America prevent such things from happening, and how come still loads of people died from suffocation and many are still dieing due to the effect of that occurence, when will you ever learn that Nigeria is not claiming the same place as America- the same way you as a person can never equal yourself with your peers who have more sense, wisdom, money and everything than yourself.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by tosinaded(m): 2:15pm On Jan 17, 2009
@i laff
u just dey cuss up and down!!!!!!
APRECCIATE THINGS THAT ARE GOOD
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by sherrylo: 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2009
I laugh, please when something is obvious biko we no fit hide am! Oct 2005 I was going to London,on a sunday morning the day after the Bellview 2005 crash, it wasn't scary that the crash happened,what was scary was the fact that we were at the airport for over 8 hours and they could not tell us if we were still going or not?until the captain and the crew members came to tell us that they will go nowhere unless the know what happened to the flight or even locate the flight! common, isn't the funny and scary? not being able to locate an aircraft for more than 16 hours,when you are suppose to monitor the aircraft.why thats very funny and scary!.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Outstrip(f): 2:50pm On Jan 17, 2009
I guess I am confused. Is it that they do not watch the planes at all or maybe the person who should have been watching fell asleep but even then I am sure they can look at their sophisticated systems and see where the plane was at any given time abi
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by sherrylo: 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2009
hun Outstrip, that is not in Nigeria oo. the next thing they found the plane instead of doing investigation to find the cause they said they were looking for black box or whatever,and me I did not hear of any futher report on the incident again.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by ilaugh1: 2:56pm On Jan 17, 2009
sherry lo:

I laugh, please when something is obvious biko we no fit hide am! Oct 2005 I was going to London,on a sunday morning the day after the Bellview 2005 crash, it wasn't scary that the crash happened,what was scary was the fact that we were at the airport for over 8 hours and they could not tell us if we were still going or not?until the captain and the crew members came to tell us that they will go nowhere unless the know what happened to the flight or even locate the flight! common, isn't the funny and scary? not being able to locate an aircraft for more than 16 hours,when you are suppose to monitor the aircraft.why thats very funny and scary!.

and when the plane of the billionaire business man  - Steve Fosset - dis appeared in America, which they havent found till now, over a year ago, both plane and man - what did you say to that? It can not happen in America abi - you will say, it can only happen in Nigeria - right?

I now understand that you can still be as myopic and lack of reasoning even if you spend donkey years abroad.

It is sad that people who should know better now attribute anything and everything bad to their country and expect that same country to bless them, a country you can only curse and wish evil for, can only return the same to you, curses and evil - it is plain simple.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by 2black(m): 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2009
I saw the breaking news on FOX and I must confess I was impressed by the coverage of the incident and the response of emergency handlers.It's quite monumental the way Americans help one another.
The first rescue Ferries were commercial ones that could have chosen to continue with their businesses but instead they raced to the scene to save lives of survivors of the crash who would have died from cold if early rescue hadn't come.
Naija when are we going to get there?
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Chetachuku(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17, 2009
the whiz pilot needs commendation and a national award. others should learn from his expertise. kudos!!!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2009
@ Nonso: you are vindicated by hiding in China? Come to Nigeria and say the opposite!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2009
i_laugh:

and when the plane of the billionaire business man  - Steve Fosset - dis appeared in America, which they havent found till now, over a year ago, both plane and man - what did you say to that? It can not happen in America abi - you will say, it can only happen in Nigeria - right?

I now understand that you can still be as myopic and lack of reasoning even if you spend donkey years abroad.

It is sad that people who should know better now attribute anything and everything bad to their country and expect that same country to bless them, a country you can only curse and wish evil for, can only return the same to you, curses and evil - it is plain simple.

But Yaradua compared America with Nigeria when he said Gov.Jang of Plateau state is using 'we and them' language when Obama is the president-elect of America. So we should compare in everything. Politicians compare educationally by sending their 17yr -olds to American colleges, going abroad for medical treatments and when it comes to politics, prosecution of corrupt-persons and economy, they will tell us it took America 200yrs to achieve where they are now. We must compare oh!
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Jarus(m): 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2009
Just posting here to salute the Pilot's professionalism,wisdom and rare bravery!
He deserves to be named MAN OF THE YEAR 2009!!!
The whole thing was very amazing as I watched it on Sky news as breaking news on Thursday night,and later yesternight.
It was like a film. Another thing that amazed me was how the passengers were calm enough on the wing of the plane.Kai, if na me i go don faint. In fact I don't think I'll be settled enough to put on the life-jacket. Anytime, I'm on board and the cabin crew announce all those safety guides,especially the statement ''. . .in the unlikely event of this aircraft landing in water, pull out the life-jacket under your seat and , '', I used to think all these things are just formalities, that no one will even remember one life-jacket is somewhere in the face of emergency. I don't even listen to the announcement as I use to dismiss all those so-called safety tips as just theory. So all these things are real!!! But kai, e no easy o to remember that o, Henceforth,I'll be listening to those tips, who knows?
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Jarus(m): 5:10pm On Jan 17, 2009
The level headedness of the passengers alone contributed to them all getting out alive. My big sis works with NNPC on a flight going to Warri there was really bad turbulence and they were trying to calm people down and telling everyone to sit down with their seat belts fastened. She said people were still getting out and kneeling in the ailses and praying loudly. If that plane had gone down all those people kneeling would at the very least have serious lifethreatening injuries. These people styaed calm

Spot on. That's what I'm saying. I doubt if Nigerian passengers(including me) will be calm enough to observe the safety measures, from putting on the life-jacket to opening emergency door etc.

Kai, those passengers tried o.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by koyedemi: 8:49pm On Jan 17, 2009
If it is in Nigeria they would have died waiting to be rescued. so, the incident should challenge all Nigerians to pray that God will help us to reach a stage where we will have all that it takes to do similar feat.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by Jarus(m): 9:07pm On Jan 17, 2009
I think there are multiple heroes here:
1, The pilot
2, The emergency agencies
3, The passengers
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by blackweaver(m): 10:09pm On Jan 17, 2009
when i grow up i want to be like that pilot.
Meen i wish i was on that plane, i would have recorded the video and put it on facebook winksmiley
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by OyinlolaO(f): 10:59pm On Jan 17, 2009
This has got God written all over it. just when Disasters are becoming the order of the day God shows that HE NEVER SLEEPS and NEITHER SLUMBERS.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by bawomolo(m): 3:10am On Jan 18, 2009
OyinlolaO:

This has got God written all over it. just when Disasters are becoming the order of the day God shows that HE NEVER SLEEPS and NEITHER SLUMBERS.

yeah we would be saying the same thing if it was naija abi? since when God become rescue personnel.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by blackmann(m): 11:56am On Jan 18, 2009
U won't believe what i just heard on Fox News some 5 mins ago. A group of stupid animal rights activists want to sue the airline for causing the death of the geese that hit the plane. I wonder about some people sef. What if the plane had crashed into the populated neighbourhood and killed all 155 passengers on board and other lives on the ground? They'll then first think it was a terrorist attack. those people should be sued for such crap. Stupid people angry.

The presenters even said they should catch the rest of the geese and go use them to feed those in the needy shelters grin
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by otikpoko(m): 12:01pm On Jan 18, 2009
Thanks to the pilot for being a good pilot but the greatest thanks goes to God who saved the lives of everyone through the pilot.Assuming this inccident happened in Nigeria,i think there will be only 8 or no survivors.
Re: Amazing Plane With More 150 Persons Crash Into The Sea And No Death! by blackmann(m): 12:02pm On Jan 18, 2009
They've finally pulled the plane out of the water.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Simpsons Predicted Kim Yo Jong Taking Over From Kim Jong Un / Deadly Earthquake Leaves 7 Dead And 318 Hospitalised In Taiwan. / Niger: ECOWAS Denies Influence Of ‘Foreign Power’, Insists On Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.