Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? (2441 Views)

DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos / If You Didn't Experience Flogging In School, You Are Still A Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
Often times, dull pupils/students are flogged by their teachers when they fail to answer questions correctly. Sometimes, it could be that a pupil/student violated one of the rules and regulations of the school, and they are flogged (We all know the average Nigerian child could be very stubborn and rebelious most times), sometimes, ruthlessly!!! Please, is there any benefit or benefits in flogging a pupil/student? Even when you flog a dull child constantly, the child might still remain dull all through out school.

I was inspired to create this thread after reading the touching story of a student in Western Nigeria, whose one eye was blinded by the secretary of the principal of her school via a mysterious slap!

Thanks...goodevening all!
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by falcon01: 10:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
look any niger pikin wey dey lash am koboko the brain go reset

Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
falcon01:
look any niger pikin wey dey lash am koboko the brain go reset
Is that the benefit? To reset the brain?
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by xpac01(m): 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
I tell you the truth, it is not about the cain but about the intent. If before venting a disciplinary action on a subject, we take time to analyse the impact on the long run, then we would find out that we've all gone wrong.
Most times, teachers and parents inflicts bodily hurt without considering the mental damage which is even the eternal and hardly reparable.
What i know from experience is that cain does no good as positive word should do. It's good to chestise with rod but i believe that with good positive intent backing it up, we can never have such gory experience of a young chap blinded by slap metted to her face by a principal.

1 Like

Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
xpac01:
I tell you the truth, it is not about the cain but about the intent. If before venting a disciplinary action on a subject, we take time to analyse the impact on the long run, then we would find out that we've all gone wrong.
Most times, teachers and parents inflicts bodily hurt without considering the mental damage which is even the eternal and hardly reparable.
What i know from experience is that cain does no good as positive word should do. It's good to chestise with rod but i believe that with good positive intent backing it up, we can never have such gory experience of a young chap blinded by slap metted to her face by a principal.
Nice post there bro! I still think caning, especially when it comes too often, can place unnecessary fear in the mind of a child and makes him/her to pass through emotional and psychological truama!
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Mods, pls move to front page. Let's get Nigerians' opinions on this. Thanks.
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
_
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
ShoryuKen:
Some quote "spare the rod, and spoil the child" to justify bodily harm on kids. But, in the holy texts, the rod was also a tool shepherds used to direct sheep with care/love in the fields – also cite Moses with his rod leading the Israelites – Africans have misquoted it to justify beastly treatment towards kids/wards… it's sickening! angry
You are correct bro. These days, they even use hands on kids in pre-school/pre-nursery!!! Imagine 2-3 yrs old kids eating spanks from the hard concrete hands of some day care teachers as if the poor kids are eating biscuits!
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 16, 2015
I'll tell you from experience that flogging and other forms of bodily injuries inflicted on kids do not exactly serve the purposes for which they're done.
My father flogged me one kind flogging 18yrs ago, I still haven't forgotten and it has completely tuned me off him.
Best option, make a child know the wrong from the right. They do have minds!
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 5:20am On Mar 16, 2015
twoondei:
I'll tell you from experience that flogging and other forms of bodily injuries inflicted on kids do not exactly serve the purposes for which they're done.
My father flogged me one kind flogging 18yrs ago, I still haven't forgotten and it has completely tuned me off him.
Best option, make a child know the wrong from the right. They do have minds!
Nice one there! It could lead psychological instability when the flogging becomes too much!

1 Like

Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Yustash001(m): 9:43am On Mar 16, 2015
It has it's good and bad effect....too much flogging is bad.......but Parents have to start correcting their children right from childhood...before they clock 20 they would've have known the good from bad..
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 10:29am On Mar 16, 2015
Yustash001:
It has it's good and bad effect....too much flogging is bad.......but Parents have to start correcting their children right from childhood...before they clock 20 they would've have known the good from bad..
Though, it is not bad to flog a disobedient child as a way of correcting him or her but the way some teachers and care-givers go about it is outrageous!!!
Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Yustash001(m): 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
Rapmoney:
Though, it is not bad to flog a disobedient child as a way of correcting him or her but the way some teachers and care-givers go about it is outrageous!!!
exactly....

1 Like

Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by cyberuzo(m): 4:48pm On Mar 16, 2015
Flogging works for some students, but not for all students'

I once gave a pry 4 pupil this punishment - Write " I will not shit on the ground" 300 times

Ever since then, the class has been 'shit-free'. Plus he would know how to spell those words for life .......yea that includes the word "shit" tongue

A unique concept....Earn money where pupils learn cheesy

For more info, visit www.studypays.com, our facebook page www.facebook.com/studypays, or twitter - www.twitter.com/studypays

1 Like

Re: Are There Benefits In Flogging Pupils/Students In Schools? by Rapmoney(m): 6:48am On Mar 17, 2015
cyberuzo:
Flogging works for some students, but not for all students'

I once gave a pry 4 pupil this punishment - Write " I will not shit on the ground" 300 times

Ever since then, the class has been 'shit-free'. Plus he would know how to spell those words for life .......yea that includes the word "shit" tongue

A unique concept....Earn money where pupils learn cheesy

For more info, visit www.studypays.com, our facebook page www.facebook.com/studypays, or twitter - www.twitter.com/studypays
grin Gbaski!!!

(1) (Reply)

Gov Okowa Commissions Delta State Polytechnic Stadium Ozoro Amidst Excitement. / ** 2018 Scholarship Test ** / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.