Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East (35471 Views)

Obasanjo Gives Condition To Support New Mega Party - This Day / 3,032 Pardoned Soldiers Reject Redeployment To N-east To Fight Boko Haram / Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by freegaza(m): 9:47pm On Mar 17, 2015
*No news on abducted Chibok girls-Minimah

People of the troubled zone of North-east will exercise their voting rights in the coming elections only when all the structures of government and governance there are reinstated.

This was the outcome of a meeting of the National Security Council presided over on Tuesday by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The meeting, which was held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, lasted several hours.

The chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, briefed the council on the readiness of his commission for the elections.

Jega, who left the Presidential Villa before the meeting ended, simply told State House journalists that the meeting went well.

The INEC boss said: “I believe it (the meeting) went well.”

Jega, however, declined comments on his commission's plan to use card readers during the elections.

But the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Kenneth Tobiah Minimah, who addressed journalists after the meeting, said the people of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States could only vote when the structures of governance there are reinstated.

On the fate of the over 200 schoolgirls of Chibok, Minimah said there was no news for now.

According to him, "You know Yobe and Adamawa States have been liberated completely and we look forward to the reinstatement of structures of government and governance. I'm also sure you know that in Borno State, out of the 27 local government areas, we have three local governments remaining: Abadam, Kalabaldi and Gwoza. And we are optimistic that with time, we will liberate those local governments".

On whether the council discussed the forthcoming elections, Minimah said only the INEC was competent to talk about the elections, adding that the commission had to reassess and evaluate the situation in the three troubled states.

Minimah, who said the military had liberated areas captured by the Boko Haram sect, said: "I’m not competent to speak on that matter (elections). The INEC is still there. INEC has to reassess the situation and evaluate because the areas have been liberated, but I can also tell you that not all structures of governance have been reinstated and they will need to be reinstated so that citizens can go back to their areas, and it is then I think they can execute their rights as voters".

Asked how soon those structures would be reinstated, the Chief of Army Staff said: "I don’t know".

On the abducted Chibok girls, Minimah said: "No news for now. In all the liberated areas we have, we have also made enquiries, but the truth is when the terrorists are running away, they also run with their families, and those we have come in contact with have not made any comments suggesting that Chibok girls were there and taken away. But we are optimistic that as it becomes closer, the territory is becoming elusive to them. We will get further details on that".

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by freegaza(m): 9:48pm On Mar 17, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by ozoigbondu: 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
OP your headline does not co relate with the body.

Minimah clearly states that he is not qualified to talk on INEC issues since it is only them that is comptent to talk about elections.The issues of government structure is not a problem it can be reinstated quick quick and elections held after all it was part of the reason this elections was postponed.North east is overflowing with soldiers so security will not is not problem.

Elections must and will be held in yobe adamawa and bornu

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
Sorry to disappoint you. Elections will hold.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by DebateNigeria: 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
Elections must hold o

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by MzJackBaueress(f): 9:59pm On Mar 17, 2015
Misleading headline.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by gebest: 10:07pm On Mar 17, 2015
Any body that thinks election will hold am just laughing at dat person, Jeg mission is to distroy nigeria b4 leaving, in d spirit realm, dat goodluck means badluck, ask urself why is it that whatever jeg touches is always a badluck to dat person or thing, e.g. ALAMEYESIGHA, YARA'DUA, OIL PRIZE, NAIRA FALL, ELECTRICITY TARIFF, FUEL PRIZE, MISSING $20B. NIGERIA ECONOMY, BOKO HARAM e.t.c.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by seunmsg(m): 10:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
Minimah's argument is neither here nor there. All we need is for INEC to make adequate logistics arrangement and for the military outfits to provide security cover. There is absolutely no reason for election not to hold in the three affected states except the military and PDP are working together to deliberately disenfranchise the people due to fear of defeat.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by gebest: 10:16pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
OP your topic does not co relate with the body.Minimah clearly states that he is not qualified to talk on INEC issues since it is only them that is comptent to talk about elections.The issues of government structure is not a problem it can be reinstated quick quick and elections held after all it was part of the reason this elections was postponed
pls read the story again u will discover that the OP is very correct.

17 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Samunique(m): 10:16pm On Mar 17, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Misleading headline.
Very very misleading!!!!

I'm a fan of GEJ but if election does not hold in northeast then he is not a man of integrity.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by gebest: 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
seunmsg:
Minimah's argument is neither here nor there. All we need is for INEC to make adequate logistics arrangement and for the military outfits to provide security cover. There is absolutely no reason for election not to hold in the three affected states except the military and PDP are working together to deliberately disenfranchise the people due to fear of defeat.
B4 NKOR

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by ichidodo: 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
Fantastic development...Security is for the people and not the people for security else the APC should sacrifice there own families to conduct election in a war torn region amidst dangers of boko suicide cell groups angling to mix up with crowded voters and blowing themselves alongside INEC officials...For now we should content ourselves with IDPs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
Abeg how many GWOZA we come get self for Borno? Each time cleared gwoza

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by viczing(m): 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
DebateNigeria:
Elections must hold o

tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by bakila: 11:00pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:
OP your topic does not co relate with the body.Minimah clearly states that he is not qualified to talk on INEC issues since it is only them that is comptent to talk about elections.The issues of government structure is not a problem it can be reinstated quick quick and elections held after all it was part of the reason this elections was postponed
Your best comment so far, it reveals the fact that you will feel embarrassed if Minimah says there should be no election in those places.

3 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Zzchampion: 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2015
shocked. shocked.

4 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by AustineE1: 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2015
For the sake of innocent Nigerians living in those three states,whatever that will be best for their security,should be the priority,with or without election holding there.

9 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by ozoigbondu: 11:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
bakila:

Your best comment so far, it reveals the fact that you will feel embarrassed if Minimah says there should be no election in those places.
Are you stalking my comments .Of course i will be embarrassed if elections are not held in that area .It is the main reason the elections was postponed in the first place

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by otokx(m): 11:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
Looks like June 12 is about to resurrect in an advanced form. If elections do not hold in 3 states then there is going to be some form of impasse. The courts are going to be busy.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by hamaworld(m): 11:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
GEJ if u like play like arsenal. U will still loss dis election. grin grin

D change has come.
GMB/PYO
Pres/VP.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by bakila: 11:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
ozoigbondu:

Are you stalking my comments .Of course i will be embarrassed if electiond are not held in that area .It is the main reason the elections was postponed in the first place
Why should I? The comment differs sharply from you usual Jona does no wrong and contrary to the position of must Jonathanist that elections should not hold now.

9 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by bakila: 11:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
AustineE1:
For the sake of innocent Nigerians living in those three states,whatever that will be best for their security,should be the priority,with or without election holding there.
People from those states have seen the worst and to them the Government has not done its job. Goodluck was in Adamawa twice to Campaign and was also in Maiduguri. People will vote safely, and be safe if Government does her job.

12 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 17, 2015
There will be no election on those 3 states because even the citizens are yet to return to their homes. And they cant vote at any other polling boots. The mouth-odour crew called APC are in for a show of shame. I see Buhari crying again.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Obinoscopy(m): 12:20am On Mar 18, 2015
ozoigbondu:
OP your headline does not co relate with the body.

Minimah clearly states that he is not qualified to talk on INEC issues since it is only them that is comptent to talk about elections.The issues of government structure is not a problem it can be reinstated quick quick and elections held after all it was part of the reason this elections was postponed.North east is overflowing with soldiers so security will not is not problem.

Elections must and will be held in yobe adamawa and bornu
MzJackBaueress:
Misleading headline.
Samunique:
Very very misleading!!!!

I'm a fan of GEJ but if election does not hold in northeast then he is not a man of integrity.
Headline corrected.
Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by CR77(f): 12:22am On Mar 18, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Maczeelly(m): 12:25am On Mar 18, 2015
C H A n G E ALL DA WAY!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by alabi484(m): 12:25am On Mar 18, 2015
issokay
Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by ojaydedon(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2015

elections should hold sha because that was the main reason for the postponement

#gej till 2019
transformation continues...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by candidbabe(f): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2015
Some great men of God have prophesied that there would not be election on 28th march 2015 and people are still in doubt if there would be elections or not, I laugh in swahilli.
The bible says when there is no vision the people perish, it's high time we begin to listen and obey the voice of the prophets who are God's mouth piece on earth.
Meanwhile GEJ TILL 2019.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by Firefire(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2015
Election must hold and the loser must lose again, no more postponement.

1 Like

Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by wunmi590(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2015
Isskey.
Re: Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East by DonaldGenes(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2015
Hmmmmmmm
They have started again

If Jega could say "I believed the meeting went well indirectly shows something has gone pear shaped

However, Someone somewhere is afraid of Loosing this election but in any case, Election must ride on..

To be Nigerian President "No be by force" If someone thinks he can't stand to contest, simply leave the stage? Enough of all this preposterous shenanigans.... Haba! No be by force to be voted for

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi: Even With Gun On My Head, I Won't Say How I Will Deal With Security / Ndume: If Magu Could Be Rejected, Saraki Should Not Be Senate President / Boko Haram, ISWAP Threaten To Kill Military Officers Who Captured Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.