Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Removing Ticks From Dogs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Removing Ticks From Dogs (7429 Views)

Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! / Fast Solution To Ticks, Fleas And Lice / Remedies For Tick Removal From Dogs/surroundings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 10:39pm On Mar 17, 2015
Imagine running your hands through your pet's smooth fur....and then you found a lump! was that a Tick?
Ticks are dangerous, both to you and your pet.

A Tick lays up to 3000 eggs and are transported by several means.

Removing Ticks from pets requires carefulness. you don't want to squeeze or further infect your dog.
Following this step-by-step process will help you remove the ticks safely.

Provide where to put the removed tick: Crushing, Throwing it in the trash, Flushing wont help. It is preferable to get a jar containing alcohol or bleach.

Get help: you probably might not be able to do it alone. Your pet might leave before you finish. Get a partner to help you hold your pet while you remove the ticks. Remember not to use your bare hands; Get a latex glove. ticks can carry infective agents.

Removing the tick: With cotton-wool, rub the affected area with alcohol. Grab a tweezers and pick the tick as close to the pet's skin as possible. Pull it up straight.

A few times, the mouth part of the tick is left on the dogs skin. don't try removing this, just disinfect it.

Be sure to contact your vet if your dog has been overly infected with ticks. Do Not Hesitate. Ticks Can Kill Your Pet.

source: http://www..com/2015/03/removing-ticks-from-your-pet.html

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by prevail23(m): 10:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
thank u,but my friend has ticks all over his body,will dis method also work for him?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
prevail23:
thank u,but my friend has ticks all over his body,will dis method also work for him?

If it's an infestation, use frontline spray

1 Like

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Seun(m): 5:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
Would it be ok to just spray the dog with a flea/tick spray and wait for the ticks to fall off on their own?
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by mayorall(m): 8:51pm On Mar 18, 2015
I use ticmix which kill and release the ticks from their hidden place. Ordinary hand picking won't really reveal this stubborn ticks. I still pick ticks after 4 days I have applied the chemical.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Banjulllar123: 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
@ Mayorall, where can i get ticmix in Ogun State, Nigeria? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by ireneony(f): 11:15pm On Mar 18, 2015
wow but it looks stressful sha
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by emeka2847: 3:06am On Mar 19, 2015
Prodeegee:
Imagine running your hands through your pet's smooth fur....and then you found a lump! was that a Tick?
Ticks are dangerous, both to you and your pet.

A Tick lays up to 3000 eggs and are transported by several means.

Provide where to put the removed tick: Crushing, ........... wont help.

Thanks. Pls explain why crushing is not good. That is mainly what I do.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 4:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
Seun:
Would it be ok to just spray the dog with a flea/tick spray and wait for the ticks to fall off on their own?

thats the issue, when ticks fall off, they dont fall off completely so its advisable to do it manually. If the head is left in it will continue to transmit any diseases the tick may be carrying and can get infected.

did you get the reply i sent you?
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Ajanii(m): 9:11pm On Mar 19, 2015
Different strokes... i belong to the school of thought that believes hand picking ticks is not safe. I use "Amourer Spot-on" for my Dogs. Works like Magic Every time.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 10:04pm On Mar 19, 2015
Ajanii:
Different strokes... i belong to the school of thought that believes hand picking ticks is not safe. I use "Amourer Spot-on" for my Dogs. Works like Magic Every time.

explain "not safe" pls
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by adetboy: 3:25pm On Mar 23, 2015
Ajanii:

@Ajanii, pls where can I get this Amourer Spot on in Osun State here.
I am finding it difficult to eradicate ticks frm my home even after my dog was killed by them.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by aguizm(m): 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2015
Menn dealing with ticks ain't easy at all. Early this month ticks almost took over my crib and my dog. Used azinthol for where? They refused dieing. I had to improvise by mixing azinthol, kerosene and izal to spray and wash my compound and my dog's cage and it worked like magic. Today my dog is tick free also my compound but I gave my dog enough cups of palm oil before spraying her to avoid regret.

1 Like

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2015
Believe it or not, chickens are my tick eradicators. They pick ticks everywhere in the compound and even mount dogs to check. For me, I don't bother about ticks cos I have the magic workers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by feedapet: 9:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
A good brand of fipronil spray will come handy,and can be purchased from vet clinics and petstores . For experienced dog owners,Amiraz,diazintol and other acaricides can be used to bathe the infested dogs and wash their kennels.

For severe infestation,please make sure you see your vet.

Tick fever (babesiosis) kills .
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by lacicrips(m): 11:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
Prodeegee:

If it's an infestation, use frontline spray
ticmix or frontline spray, which is the most effective please? I have an infestation.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Seun(m): 3:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
lacicrips:

ticmix or frontline spray, which is the most effective please? I have an infestation.
Frontline spray is what vet doctors prescribe when the cheap sprays they also sell inevitably fail to work. It's an internationally renown product.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by lacicrips(m): 4:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
Seun:
Frontline spray is what vet doctors prescribe when the cheap sprays they also sell inevitably fail to work. It's an internationally renown product.
Thank you very much. Any idea where I can buy one in Lagos? It seems nonexistent somewhat.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2015
lacicrips:

Thank you very much. Any idea where I can buy one in Lagos? It seems nonexistent somewhat.

depending on what part of lagos you are, VetLand at Agege should have it.
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by juleze(f): 5:01pm On May 23, 2018
I learnt that camphor aka moth balls works in eradicating fleas from the house. How true is this, please?
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by henrolevra: 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2019
Can tick kill a local dog?
Re: Removing Ticks From Dogs by juceey: 7:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
Call or WhatsApp on 09058965168 for a final solution to your tick problem

(1) (Reply)

Sarplaninac Vs Caucasian / Luwis,Nice SouthAfrican Mastiff(Beorbeol):NEEDS UR HELP TO MAKE HER GROW HEALTHY / Lets Share Ideas On How To Cut Cost On Ur Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.