Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,780 members, 7,820,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) (62246 Views)

Olu Jacobs & Wife Joke Silva Hang Out With Ambode & Wole Soyinka In Lagos(pics) / The Price Of Linda Ikeji's House In Banana Island, Description & Photos / Basketmouth Posts On Linda Ikeji's House In Banana Island (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:15am On Mar 20, 2015
Check out the mysterious house of Nigerian Nobel laureate Prof Wole Soyinka which is located in the middle of a thick forest,the main building is a red-brick house, which nestles atop a hill with a tiny river flowing below and giant trees towering above it,the main building has amphitheater for drama rehearsals and performances,shooting range that provides a bird’s eye view of a section of the path that leads to the house,hidden reading rooms (there are reading spaces everywhere) and a special prayer room for Christians, Muslims and traditionalists – to Soyinka, there is room for all religions to co-exist.
Art collection, of contemporary and ancient works. He had more sculptures than paintings and it was obvious his preference was three dimensional works of art. Books sprout from ground and walls and bookshelves,if you dey live for this house,na to dey read all the time.

Dateline: Midmorning. Wednesday June 18: Ije-gba Village, Kemta Housing Estate, Idi Aba, Abeukouta, Ogun State. Our convoy comprising journalists from Lagos and Abeokuta; SSG Ogun State, Taiwo Adeoluwa; Commissioner for Information, Yewande Amusan, and other government aides and organizers of Soyinka @80 nationwide celebrations, drove deeper into the estate to an area with less concentration of houses –mostly undeveloped plots.

We had no warning where we were headed to, especially those of us from Lagos. We had come for a media briefing on Professor Wole Soyinka’s 80th birthday, and I was wondering why the undisclosed location we were being taken to. When our convoy finally pulled up by the roadside overlooking a mini thick forest, I was thinking we were briefly on a tourist tour to a desolate cave, a no man’s land lost to civilisation.

The entrance to the zigzagging forest had a screaming signboard: “TRESPASSING VEHICLES WILL BE SHOT AND EATEN”. The warning was a novelty, and most of us treaded with trepidation down the untarred road leading to our destination. How could a vehicle be shot and eaten? By who? Could that explain why our vehicles were parked in front of the entrance?

There was no inkling that a residential house was located anywhere. The sloppy environment was dotted with tall trees and palm trees, with thick shrubs concealing whatever was without. The down chorus of birds rent the air, and, in an instant, I became nostalgic of my childhood adventures to distant farmlands for games.

About twenty metres from the entrance, we beheld a duplex swathed by a bush. The flowery ambience in front of the building concealed the structure, to an extent. At once, I had a dejavu. This must be Soyinka’s house, I told myself, having seen the photo of the house when it was first built in the 1980s.

Before getting to the building itself, a dry stream bifurcated the road, and that showed its occupant is a man at home with nature. Instead of the lavish taste of famous Nigerians, Soyinka prefers an idyllic surrounding to nourish his creativity.

“You can now understand this man better,” Akeem Lasisi, a colleague from Punch newspapers, told me as we wondered on Soyinka’s natural instincts. Known as Ijegba background, one side of the main building stood on pillars, and it led to an adjourning building by the rear. It had a medieval architectural finishing and a surrealistic air about it.

Soyinka’s neigbours are animals and birds –no nearby building was in sight from his compound. No wonder when sometime ago when Soyinka’s power generating set cut out, his aides had gone to check what was wrong only to see a big snake coiling around it. Jokingly, Soyinka had told his visitor: “That’s the kind of neighbours I have here.”

Soyinka was not at home when we called, but he had given his permission for us to use his house for the press briefing. A secretive person, he hardly allows anybody inside his compound. Perhaps he felt at ease with media men, who wouldn’t find any skeleton in his cupboard.

The media briefing and interaction with organizers of the 80th birthday activities lasted for about two hours, and another surprise awaited us when we were done: we were entertained to traditional delicacies in front of Soyinka’s house, including the local ofada rice wrapped with fresh leaves, bitter colas, alligator peppers, palm wine, among others. There was nothing foreign about the entertainment we got, it must be noted. For most of us living in the cities, that were something to relish. Japhet Alakam of Vanguard newspaper confessed he was drinking palm wine for the first time in 10 years. “This tastes good like out village brew,” he said.

Entertainment over, we walked out of the Ijegba reinvigorated by the traditional treat. Before we departed, I asked Akeem Lasisi rather humourously: “Hope nobody has been shot and eaten here?” A roar elapses for a moment. Just then, we realized two lady reporters from our Lagos team hadn’t shown up. A search party was sent back to Soyinka’s compound where they saw them conducting an interview. Luckily, nobody had been shot and eaten: we were no jaywalkers.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=70640

9 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:17am On Mar 20, 2015

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:19am On Mar 20, 2015

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 20, 2015
I like that: buy a large expanse of land and have peace of mind. Great.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by freshness2020: 10:21am On Mar 20, 2015
K
Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:22am On Mar 20, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Hotstew(m): 10:23am On Mar 20, 2015
Where is the house?
Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:24am On Mar 20, 2015

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:25am On Mar 20, 2015

16 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:27am On Mar 20, 2015

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Allureoftheseas(m): 10:28am On Mar 20, 2015
swag

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:29am On Mar 20, 2015

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:30am On Mar 20, 2015

10 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 20, 2015
I actually love this.

I really do.

Especially the drinking Gourds.

Very Natural, very African.

The Adire table cloth is Priceless

This is a typical Country home.

Not Mansions in maitama.

But i won't mind it tho.

116 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by iamrealdeji(m): 10:33am On Mar 20, 2015
Hotstew:
Where is the house?
Ogun state

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Sparrow13: 10:34am On Mar 20, 2015
this man have a great taste for creativity

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 20, 2015
My ideal kind of country home. I love this man.. cool
Peaceful retirement with plenty grand children flocking around during holidays. cheesy

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Sylverbox(m): 11:02am On Mar 20, 2015
A beautiful mind harbouring a beautiful home.
peace is very expensive.

33 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by gen2briz(m): 11:12am On Mar 20, 2015
Beautiful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by ZACHIE: 11:26am On Mar 20, 2015
This is a dream house.
This is shear class.
This is what educated people think of not the crass things you throw around in city hellholes.

This house will become a National Treasure, people will come from afar just to behold a brick house.
A life that counts is not measured in the abundance of riches, rather substance of the heart.

WS, i doff my fedora....not like that man,s own, though.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Zonacom(m): 11:37am On Mar 20, 2015
Simple, rare, classic

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 20, 2015
How is it mysterious?

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Ohibenemma(m): 11:40am On Mar 20, 2015
Hmmm! Weird, simple, yet classy...Reminds me of the Late Sir Aigboje Higo's house in his hometown.
These men have something in common: expensive simplicity, superiority complex, European tastes and a tinge of stinginess - I don't know so much about Wole Soyinka, though, but Aig Higo ehhn, that guy dey tight hand, sha.
It comes from the books, it comes from the exposure to European habits courtesy of our colonial experience. That exposure is something most writers lack today...

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Dcaliphate(m): 11:45am On Mar 20, 2015
Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by pweetixandy: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2015
Y'know..being happy is a choice. See how simple yet sophisticated that place looks. I like

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2015
Awesome....
Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by angrybird007: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2015
Our taste differs.
When I build my own masion.
It would be around PEOPLE.
Not untop water(sharkk) undecided or forest(snake) embarassed

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by hamaworld(m): 11:46am On Mar 20, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by yuzjet(m): 11:46am On Mar 20, 2015
Yes I know the place. I've been there before.

Uniqueness @its peak.

#Respect

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's House In The Forest (Photos) by Dcaliphate(m): 11:47am On Mar 20, 2015
wow, that's a liberated man.

wealth is about self-satisfaction and contentment.

No matter how rich you are, u r poor when your needs are insatiable.

The rich are those who need less.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Checkout Daddy Freeze’s Car Collection (PHOTOS) / Timaya Meets Rihanna In Barbados (Photo) / Paul Okoye Poses With 6 Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.