Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,577 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) (71432 Views)

Photos From Virgin Ceremony In Ogu, Rivers State / The Ijaws That I Know / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by johnbosco97(m): 10:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
2kurupt:

I do get your point but there's a point you need to take note of. The larger Ijaw nation that cuts across several States such as Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Ondo etc are actually referred to as Izon, while there also exists an Izon tribe that's called Ijaw in Bayelsa State. (President Jonathan's tribe). So you see, people tend to get it all mixed up. Am sure your Doctor friend's emphasis of not been called Ijaw is because the latter.

[color=#006600][/color]

You should stop deceiving people. People of ogbia, Nembe, Kalabari and Opobo are not Ijaw. They are independent ethnic nationalities of Niger delta except Opobo which are Igbo speaking and of Igbo descent. In the hospital where I work, Dr Jaja, a descendant of Jaja of Opobo, write Igbo as his ethnicity not Ijaw. A nurse in my ward from Kalabari always argue that she is Kalahari not I jaw. point of correction, president Jonathan is of Ogbia ethnicity not Ijaw. For political expediency, they may accept I jaw tag. Please stop misinforming people. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by 2kurupt(m): 10:06pm On Mar 24, 2015
Mordyb:
just because beads are involved doesnt mean its is of benin origin i get tired saying this

True. It should be noted that the kalabaris use coral beads that is derived from the the seabed of high seas, not just some bead. Both tribes use beads but not exactly same types or design patterns.

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by FOREXMARTS: 10:19pm On Mar 24, 2015
ibiso1986:
kalabari girls are attractive, intelligent but people do say they flirt a lot and are arrogant.. Wonder how true that is.. Meanwhile good luck on ur search.. U can try facebook

This might piss someone off but it's the hard truth, they also drink like fish. You need to see them ladies gulping down all sorts of drinks in their monthly meetings. They hardly keep a marriage, very rude. Am not hating, telling u how it is. The men are better, u can marry the man but the woman? U gotta pray hard for the "one in a million".

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by 2kurupt(m): 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2015
Dreambeat:
President Jonathan is POLITICALLY Ijaw.There are lots of tribes in the Niger Delta that don't consider themselves Ethnic Ijaws but are POLITICALLY Ijaws.This include Kalabari,Nembe and Ogbia(where President Jonathan comes from).However,if you call them Ijaws as part of a larger Ijaw nation,they may just accept that.

There's no such thing as 'politically Ijaws'. The various Izon tribes constitute the Izon ethnic Nationality which people supposedly call Ijaw nowadays. These tribes have historical ties, ancestral linkage or treaties that have existed for hundreds of years long before the entity known as Nigeria existed. So with the present day scheme of things should they now see themselves as different? If I may as for instance, those clans that were united by Usman Danfodio hundreds of years ago, do they now go their separate ways because the system of government has changed?

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by 2kurupt(m): 10:37pm On Mar 24, 2015
johnbosco97:

[color=#006600][/color]

You should stop deceiving people. People of ogbia, Nembe, Kalabari and Opobo are not Ijaw. They are independent ethnic nationalities of Niger delta except Opobo which are Igbo speaking and of Igbo descent. In the hospital where I work, Dr Jaja, a descendant of Jaja of Opobo, write Igbo as his ethnicity not Ijaw. A nurse in my ward from Kalabari always argue that she is Kalahari not I jaw. point of correction, president Jonathan is of Ogbia ethnicity not Ijaw. For political expediency, they may accept I jaw tag. Please stop misinforming people. Thanks.

Funny when you say deceive like there's some kinda monetary benefit. We are here for learning and not to argue for the sake of it. If you read between the like lines of my comment you quoted you'll note that I mentioned Izon & Ijaw, don't get the two confused despite both being used interchangeably. Good night

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by NigerMan1: 10:43pm On Mar 24, 2015
realborn:
Was at Buguma Kingdom last Friday for an IYA marriage of my brother-in-law at the Town Council Building and was stunned at the existence of such a close knit settlement with bubbly economic activities and residents. The architecture of the buildings in mixed precolonial and colonial themes was fascinating. Roads were interlocked and main entrance doors of buildings opened directly to the narrow alley but well organised and maintained roads. I loved the scenery deeply.

The people are extremely accommodating. The preservation of cultural values and tradition is amazing. Was surprised that a traditional council of chiefs existed to administer marriages and issue certificates. As a Yoruba indigene I was quite impressed. The process of my traditional marriage to my beloveth Yoruba wife did not have such related connotations.

I love Buguma and look forward to visit soon and possibly make a documentary. To think that the kingdom existed since the 15th century and transportation has been by water until 2001 was a shocking revelation.

The central government should make efforts to connect all related kingdoms that are yet to have connecting bridges to land.

The 40 mins drive from Choba was worthwhile!

@ realborn - thanks for your short summary bro. I wish all Yorubas and every Nigerian possess your open-minded heart; openly appreciating good things about others, especially when you feel is somehow 'better' or more colorful than ours.

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by NigerMan1: 10:48pm On Mar 24, 2015
johnbosco97:
Stop lying Kalabari people are not Ijaw. My doctor friend who is a Kalabari always frown being called Ijaw. Please tell us another story. He said that Ijaws are descendants of Portuguese servants that settled in coastlines, hence their language similarities with Portuguese creoles. Please stop fabricating stories that will mislead uninformed people. Anyway am yet to see a Kalabari that call himself I jaw.

@ johnbosco97 - the Kalabaris people are 100% Ijaws. They are in fact, one of the most important clans of the Ijaw nation. Yes because the word "Ijaw" is humongous; covers more than 50 clans with linear cultural and linguistic differences, it is normal to find few people to prefer to be known by their primary clan identity.

Now if they are not Ijaw, why is Asari Dokubo, Professor Tam David West, Taribo West etc, openly called or referred to themselves as IJAWS?

3 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by johnbosco97(m): 11:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ johnbosco97 - the Kalabaris people are 100% Ijaws. They are in fact, one of the most important clans of the Ijaw nation. Yes because the word "Ijaw" is humongous; covers more than 50 clans with linear cultural and linguistic differences, it is normal to find few people to prefer to be known by their primary clan identity.

Now if they are not Ijaw, why is Asari Dokubo, Professor Tam David West, Taribo West etc, openly called or referred to themselves as IJAWS?
[color=#006600][/color]

For political expediency, they are Ijaw. People from Opobo, Kalabari, nembe and Ogbia that I work with always denied being Ijaw. I was surprised to discover that a colleague who is a descendant of Jaja of Opobo denied Ijaw tag. Same with a corper nurse from Kalabari that serve in our hospital. Throughout her stay, she was writing kalabari as her ethnicity. Politically people of Niger delta unite to increase their number just like Hausa-fulani tag despite the fact that there is nothing like Hausa-fulani ethnicity. Its either one is Hausa or Fulani. From my encounter with people from those towns you mentioned and what they told me, I maintained my earlier stand. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:18am On Mar 25, 2015
jamex93:
OK, now I see......Gordons no dey lie at all
tell me wetin gordons talk
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by azezola(m): 12:18am On Mar 25, 2015
Terrorist clan
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by AndreB: 12:19am On Mar 25, 2015
johnbosco97:
Stop lying Kalabari people are not Ijaw. My doctor friend who is a Kalabari always frown being called Ijaw. Please tell us another story. He said that Ijaws are descendants of Portuguese servants that settled in coastlines, hence their language similarities with Portuguese creoles. Please stop fabricating stories that will mislead uninformed people. Anyway am yet to see a Kalabari that call himself I jaw.

Is it your psychiatric doctor?
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:20am On Mar 25, 2015
Chillis:
love my kalabari sisters and brothers kiss kiss kiss kiss

their native soup is one of best in the world
u can say that again brother
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:31am On Mar 25, 2015
Ymodulus:
Kalabari people are 100% Ijaw people, The founder of the Kalabari was a man known as Perebo kalabari. his father was MEIN OWEI. tHEY MIGRATED FROM THE YENEGOA area of the central Ijaw land and moved east wards.

Kalabari territory today is actually sharing boundary with NEMBE AT THE OLUASIRI END where SOKU AND ELEM SANGAMA share border with NEMBE VILLAGES AT THE Kula side Kalabari villages like Robert kiri share border with NEMBE settlements too. infact Nembe is closer to Kalabari then it is even close to Yenegoa.

The Kalabari dialect is almost Ibani, INFACT. I'd say the Kalabari dialect is Ibani if I like and thats because 50% of Ibani people are off Kalabari originated from Kalabari, those people are called the KOROAME OF Kalabari who during the wars of Okoloma ( bonny) and Kalabaris were moved to the Bonny side, and many groups in Kalabari too are of Bonny blood. these are mainly the Jumbo of Bakana. Fyneface, the entire Tombia, Abalama village and families in Ke and Kula.

Besides this. the Kalabari dialect is every thing the same with the Ibani dialect, The ibanis only lost theirs to Igbos for reasons known. Today the finima part of Bonny and the kala-ibiama part of Bonny have reserved the Ibani dialect and the AMAYANABO OF Bonny has declared Iabni to be used even in Bonny island, names like, BELEMA, SENIBO, BOMA, DIEPRIYE, OBELE, IBIYE, IBISO would be wrong to be called Kalabari names since they are purely Bonny names too. words like BO ( COME) SO ( GO) MINJI( WATER) TAMUNO ( GOD) could also not be said to be KALABARI since they are also Ibani words. Bro Ibani is purely KALABARI.

iF YOU UNDERSTAND KALABARI you'd see that THE BONNY town KALA-IBIAMA, means small fine town in KALABARI, that is exactly what it means in Bonny too, but the real name of the town is KELE-KELE IBI ARI AMA, WHICH MEANS A TOWN THAT IS GRADUALLY BECOMING FINE, and that is exactly what it means in Bonny too,

Bonny and Kalabari are purely the same people and are all Ijaws

Many Kalabarius and Bonnies today have light skin due to European mixture. The Bonny and Kalabari chiefs traded with Europeans and had a lot of Igbo slaves. During that time some Europeans had sexul contact with Kalabari and Bonny people that produced new breed of people. Then after the slave trade many Igbo people were also adopted in to Kalabari and Bonny families.

I love this post.. Send me a pm.. Ill love to have ur number
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:38am On Mar 25, 2015
shamecurls:
Asari Dokubo.. Human right activist

Asari was never and will never be a human right activist. You would have just generously address him as an Ex-militant
I don hear
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:43am On Mar 25, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson is the greatest highlife musician that ever lived. He died at the tender age of 33 in 1971.
he died in a crash wen he was travelling to Owerri.. So unfortunate
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:48am On Mar 25, 2015
chiogoezubem:
Booked. Married to them but I never even chop the native soup for their house o.
maybe they no sabi cook am

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:49am On Mar 25, 2015
aim5:
Kalabari women, especially the lightskin ones are blessed with PHAT nyash.
u get correct eye brother
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:53am On Mar 25, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
"Ene bate" - Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson. Ibiso1986, could you create a thread on Rex Lawson. I'm so obsessed with his music.
ill do that soon.. And u will be the first to know..
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
u get correct eye brother

Yes O. Your women are wonderfully made! Here in Minnesota, there are some Kalabari women and my oh my their gorgeous. I might seriously try to get with one.

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 12:56am On Mar 25, 2015
ojmaroni247:
Pls ibiso rephrase @ the first pic she is ikwere not calabari,her name is ngozi mpi dats her trad marriage pic in ph.......
k, I'm sorry about dat.. I uploaded the pics cos she wore a kalabari attire
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:04am On Mar 25, 2015
Mekymuo:
The one in the third pic... Who is she?
kindly upload the 3rd pics u are talking about so that ill verify..
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:13am On Mar 25, 2015
realborn:
Was at Buguma Kingdom last Friday for an IYA marriage of my brother-in-law at the Town Council Building and was stunned at the existence of such a close knit settlement with bubbly economic activities and residents. The architecture of the buildings in mixed precolonial and colonial themes was fascinating. Roads were interlocked and main entrance doors of buildings opened directly to the narrow alley but well organised and maintained roads. I loved the scenery deeply.

The people are extremely accommodating. The preservation of cultural values and tradition is amazing. Was surprised that a traditional council of chiefs existed to administer marriages and issue certificates. As a Yoruba indigene I was quite impressed. The process of my traditional marriage to my beloveth Yoruba wife did not have such related connotations.

I love Buguma and look forward to visit soon and possibly make a documentary. To think that the kingdom existed since the 15th century and transportation has been by water until 2001 was a shocking revelation.

The central government should make efforts to connect all related kingdoms that are yet to have connecting bridges to land.

The 40 mins drive from Choba was worthwhile!
I'm glad u enjoyed the ceremony.. I love it when a non indigene appreciates our culture.. Do u know Buguma is just 1 out of the 33 towns in kalabari kingdom.. There is Abonnema, Tombia, Bakana, ke, Soku, Bukuma, Degema etc.. Wish I can take u on a tour someday

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:14am On Mar 25, 2015
hwudey:
Proudly kalabari.
how are u doing sister
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:17am On Mar 25, 2015
aim5:

The riverine areas of Nigeria are truly a sight to behold.
yes my brother but i have to be honest, we need more development
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:22am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
ill do that soon.. And u will be the first to know..
Ok.
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:24am On Mar 25, 2015
yeshi:
Good research topic
thanks dear
Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:29am On Mar 25, 2015
ibietela2:

Are you serious?
yes, click on the you tube link

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:31am On Mar 25, 2015
keppyy:
PROUDLY KALABARI...

Iriaaaaaaa Weeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiii!

Asaaaannnnnnn Wwwweeeeee!

Keppy wa bOooo Teeeeee eehhhhhhhh!!!

I'm a beautiful and Great daughter of the Kalabari Kingdom...

We are great people with great heritage...
that's my sis speaking

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:35am On Mar 25, 2015
ibiso1986:
he died in a crash wen he was travelling to Owerri.. So unfortunate
Check your record again. It's actually on Asaba - Agbor Road on his way to Warri in his car. According to one of his band men, David Bull, I guess, in an interview with Benson Idonije, Lawson travelled in his car after the promise of Governor Alfred Diette-Spiff of Rivers State to make a bus available for his band didn't materialize. He traveled in his car after much plea not to, leaving his boys behind with the hope of they joining him when the bus of the Governor was brough. He died on January 15 1971. I still have this emotion each time I listen to the audio of the speech that the Head of State, Yakubu Gowon made at the funeral. The governorship candidate of the APC in Rivers State, Dakuku Peterside was in Buguma recently for the unveiling of his mausoleum.

2 Likes

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:37am On Mar 25, 2015
Ymodulus:
haha you expect me to give you more from my head see you.
ymodulus, no steal my shine oh. Na me be d original OP.. *smiles*

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:40am On Mar 25, 2015
peleson:
Great Kings! Kings of the South! KING JAJA of OPOBO of Great Ibani Ijaw!
Some Opobo Beauties and handsome gentllemen
all riverine women are pretty..

1 Like

Re: Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) by ibiso1986: 1:44am On Mar 25, 2015
Eluanaten:
OP hw com u forgot Graham Douglas, d 1st SAN wit FRA williams... U nid to watch d masquerades of Kalabari, Okrika and Nembe dance, u will b wowed!
I apologise, I taught I put his name though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) / Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.