Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari (82152 Views)

Buhari Never Promised APC To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC / I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari / I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Curvinus(m): 11:07am On Mar 24, 2015
mickey45:

while I agree with you that the OP was being mischievous with the topic and actually berate myself 4 not verifying the story. Blame me for expecting people to report issues impassionately and verbatim. However, the man sef didn't try by complaining of the 230NGN-$1. me thinks he shd rather tell us how he plans to exploit that to further improve our economic delelopment

Brother you don't have to apologize just yet as Buhari has not come out to deny the statement attributed to him.

Or are journalists no longer allowed to paraphrase a portion of their story?
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Curvinus(m): 11:09am On Mar 24, 2015
mickey45:

while I agree with you that the OP was being mischievous with the topic and actually berate myself 4 not verifying the story. Blame me for expecting people to report issues impassionately and verbatim. However, the man sef didn't try by complaining of the 230NGN-$1. me thinks he shd rather tell us how he plans to exploit that to further improve our economic delelopment

Brother you don't have to berate yourself just yet as Buhari himself has not come out to categorically deny the statement attributed to him.

Or are journalists no longer allowed to paraphrase a portion of their story?

If Buhari must ride to victory on the crescendo of the euphoria created by this report, then he equally should be pious enough to assert the veracity or otherwise.

As for credibility of the op, I read the exact story in today's edition of Thisday newspaper and that for me is a credible enough source.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by straight2point(m): 11:10am On Mar 24, 2015
Princecalm:
why should he tell u the way he will go about it in the first place, yours is to sit and watch how the economy turns around.

Someone said you should shut up and get educated. But you won't shut up, but u would rather tell the whole world that you are an illiterate. Suit yourself then.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by IVORY2009(m): 11:13am On Mar 24, 2015
Demdem:

Refer to one of my post that has the above? Besides, Jonah-daft case is far more pathetic. Dont push me to derail from the core reason from this thread please.

Paid poster, have you received an alert to ur GTB bank ac?
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by utelebaba: 11:14am On Mar 24, 2015
Even if he (Buhari) becomes president of Nigeria and stays in power for 16 yrs if God allows him to live,he can do magic the world is becoming sometime else and everybody feel the pain even the western world are smelling the hardship global economy........Buhari is not wise enough, I have landed.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by prettyboi1(m): 11:16am On Mar 24, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
Don't tell me you're an illiterate like Buhari. undecided
Read it again!

Please oga teacher, kindly quote where Buhari said he would make the naira equal to the dollar in that post and show me. Thanks.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Babagidogi: 11:16am On Mar 24, 2015
The Nigerian Naira was exchanging for $1.89 to N1 when Major General Mohammadu Buhari ascended the cockpit of national affairs on 31st December 1983. The exchange rate changed to N4.40k to $1 in favour of the USD before he was bundled out of office on 27th August 1985. Since then the naira has been on a free fall because his anti economic development policies drove out many foreign investors from Nigeria. The impacts of his misadventure into politics in 1983 is still seen in Ikeja, Ilupeju, Apapa, and other industrial settlements around the country. Secondly, he is promising to fight corruption, as a military dictator during the cold war era, when militarism was rife, he couldn't fight corruption successfully! How is it certain he will succeed in a democratic dispensation? Gen. Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, then Chief of Army Staff under Gen. Buhari, was accussed of complicity in a cocaine deal involving one Gloria Okon, who was seen on the streets of London after Nigeria's military junta Gen. Buhari told the nation that she had been executed for crimes relating to the illicit trade in cocaine. While Gen. Buhari slowly caressed the issue, a grossly corrupt Gen. Babangida pushed him out of office! So, is this a character of someone who can fight corruption? In 1983, he ordered the military to burst into shops and auction the wares of Igbo traders, is this an economic model? There are just too many anomalies with this man called Buhari! He is dull, dump, and too old for our time! I am a graduate, I don't know about you. I don't think it makes logical sense for me to take others from my junior academic colleague whose secondary school certificate is still in doubt! Gen. Buhari has been feeding from public funds since his early life, it's time he rest and give us the chance to actualize our dream. So, everyone say NO TO BUHARI and GOODLUCK to Nigeria. I wish my supporters and critics Goodluck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Chelseadiehard: 11:17am On Mar 24, 2015
All Nigerians will become millionaires after Buhari's abracadabra and magic exchange rate solution. I cannot wait to buy up anything I want with my small Naira. Our National Assembly members earning N45m per month will be earning $45m per month. The world's richest people will come from Nigeria. Dumb ass fellow ..i do not think they have good economic adviser on his campaign team

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by ellechrystal(f): 11:25am On Mar 24, 2015
barcanista:
Oh, thanks a lot baby.. From pedigree we can move to the next level grin
Lol. I hear u ooo. I hear u cheesy
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by ogene007: 11:26am On Mar 24, 2015
supereagle:

Soludo wanted to revalue Naira,they stopped him. Ghana revalued cedis and it is stronger today.
Ghana did not revalue their currency, but simply re-denominated it without any change in the value or purchasing power. Stop coming here to misinform people. That was why after the re-denomination, Ghanaians were still making references to old and new Ghana Cedis whenever you wanted to buy something. If Soludo had succeeded, a man earning 100,000 old naira per month would be earning 10,000 new naira per month, would have said that the purchasing value of your salary had increased due to what Soludo had done? Please, confusing yourself with this unintelligent post of yours. It is practically impossible to make one naira equal to one dollar in today's world economy. Buhari just proved that he is indeed the clueless one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by utelebaba: 11:26am On Mar 24, 2015
Even if he ( Buhari) eventually becomes president of Nigeria and stays in power for 16yrs maximum he can do magic about dollar and naira,the world is becoming something else and everybody feel the pain of global economy hardship even the so called western world are smelling the hardship talkless of nija who is Buhari....not wise enough ,big Error for APC.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by utelebaba: 11:28am On Mar 24, 2015
Even if he ( Buhari) eventually becomes president of Nigeria and stays in power for 16yrs maximum he can do magic about dollar and naira,the world is becoming something else and everybody feel the pain of global economy hardship even the so called western world are smelling the hardship talkless of nija who is Buhari....not wise enough ,big Error for APC..
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by cjrane: 11:28am On Mar 24, 2015
[size=18pt]Education is truly very important.[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 24, 2015
ellechrystal:

You have pending mail grin
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:35am On Mar 24, 2015
ellechrystal:

Pls u two can move to the romance section .... we are discussing national issue
....I mean How can a presidential candidate say this in 2015...BarcaNISTA leave woman and face the issue tongue
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36am On Mar 24, 2015
Curvinus:

Currency redenomination in the real sense of the word is just a cosmetic approach that does not increase the real value of that currency. If anythinh, it is a deliberate policy carried out for the purpose of convenience or portability, so that a Zimbabwean for instance would not have to carry a briefcase full of money just to buy a loaf of bread.

The best way to address a weak currency is to discourage imports and encourage exports and local production.

Why should Nigeria for example be exporting crude oil only to import the finished product all over again, thereby paying foreing shipping companies for freight and other foreign countries for what we can do here locally?

Why should our household electronics, automobiles and other equipments be imported when we should be talking about local manufacture because at end of the day, these are the things that count against our ballance of payment and as long as you continue to have deficits, your currency will continue to fall faster than the speed of light.

As an aside, the latest news trending right now is that Nigerians are the highest spenders on luxury goods at Heathrow airport in London. Seriouly, why.

This should be the kind of debate that should stem out of the statement of raising the value of our currency.

Not that the statement is idiotic or the General is an illiterate.

If we put things like inflation to a low rate and develop other institutions of the nations economy, a redenomination of our currency can work.

The complaints you made above could be tackled first before the redenomination of our currency.

2 Likes

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Ngwakwe: 11:36am On Mar 24, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Prof. Soludo said among other thing that #20 will become the country's highest denomination against #1000 which is currently the highest. Doing this will put the naira at about #1.25 to American (U.S) dollar.

He was not only talking about Nigerian currency. Read the last statement of Prof Soludo in the quote.

Stop this obfuscation. You mean Nigeria would have been a wonderland if it was done?

Ghana was the worst economy by 2014 estimate, what value did redenomination add to the purchasing power and quality of life in their country? Zero.

Buhari is talking about value for wages which improves quality of life. He isn't conversant with economic principles hence the statement.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Smooyis(m): 11:36am On Mar 24, 2015
PapaBrowne:

Are you serious Your speech just gave you off as someone who lacks complete understanding of Economics>

Illiteracy no be moi moi oh!! Ha! So if someone tells you he will equate the value to the dollar you would just swallow it hook line and sinker??
What were you doing when others were attending Economics class??

For the Naira to be equal to the dollar, you would need to see our dollar reserve rate go to something like a trillion dollars!! Even with 20 years of 20% economic growth rate, we would probably not be there!!

Now the bigger lesson for you is that a very strong Naira is not good for our country especially if you want to produce goods and export competitively..
Now let me explain that to you:
A bag of Dangote cement sells for 1500 Naira.
When the dollar was 160 Naira, that bag of cement was equal to $9.
At the new rate of 215 Naira, that same bag of cement is now equal to $7.
That means if Dangote wants to sell his cement in Albania, he has a better price point than he would have had 5 months ago.

Now imagine the Naira is exchanging at 5 Naira to a dollar.
That same bag of cement would now be equal to $300. Where on planet earth would he be able to sell his bag of cement at that price??

Any country that desires to produce and export to the rest of the globe, prays for a weaker currency to allow its goods better pricing amongst competitors. If Buhari understands economics, he will never pray for a very strong Naira except of course he wants us to keep importing everything!!

Let him be if he so wished. If naira is equal to dollar, it does not mean prices in Nigeria has to b d same wit America na. Or are u a learner. lol
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by organic973: 11:37am On Mar 24, 2015
This is so funny.
Though possible but it takes years to achieve.

Please GMB is to be educated on economy.

GEJ is winning, BRAVO!
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Mar 24, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:

Its not the act of it being imposible its the act of not only it being a misplace priority but also throwing away the advantage of a undervalued naira to the dollar. Let me give you an example. A poor man was given 100 million naira and he says his prioity is to buy a roll royce. Instead of first using that money to acqire more wealth then he can buy the rolls royce.

You can not say it is a misplaced priority when you do not know the steps he would take before the redenomination of the naira. The steps could reduce inflation and empower our exportation rate.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Mar 24, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Stop this obfuscation. You mean Nigeria would have been a wonderland if it was done?

Ghana was the worst economy by 2014 estimate, what value did redenomination add to the purchasing power and quality of life in their country? Zero.

Buhari is talking about value for wages which improves quality of life. He isn't conversant with economic principles hence the statement.

Stop twisting my post. I talked about their currency value.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Jesusloveyou: 11:40am On Mar 24, 2015
barcanista:
Just there at work with not so much to do. And you?
do u work,dis country don suffer,collect free money without work,and that is corruption.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by mickey45: 11:40am On Mar 24, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Devaluation of our currency does not favor an import dependent nation like Nigeria.
Aren'tyou tired of our total import dependency, imagine if all fuels we import daily, the drugs imported 2 deal with Ebola, all the stationery we use, most if not all the clothes we put on, all the palm and groundnut oils we cook with, and a host of other God-knows-what we use on a daily basis. Just think of all the jobs we've been exporting to others.
The Bible tells that it makes more sense to give than to receive.
If we had played our cards right 4rm the start, Nigeria would've been to at least W.Africa,what China is to the most of the world's Countries.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 24, 2015
CHESSBOARD:

....I mean How can a presidential candidate say this in 2015...BarcaNISTA leave woman and face the issue tongue
Oga mi, this our own is part of the pressing issues facing us grin.... As for Buhari, he is out of touch and we have moved past his talks.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by ellechrystal(f): 11:42am On Mar 24, 2015
CHESSBOARD:

Hahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahahhhhhahaa. This is national issue mehn tongue
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by sarris(m): 11:44am On Mar 24, 2015
dmyke:
For those ALWAYS harping about the rise of the Dollar against the Naira, please take out time to educate yourself. The rise of the Dollar is a global phenomenon. Over the past few months, the Dollar has risen against virtually every currency in the world. Ever wondered why the Naira has not falling against other currencies such as the Euro?

In September 2014, 1 Euro = 211 Naira.
Today, 1 Euro = 217 Naira.

On the other hand:
In October 2014, 1 US Dollar = 105 Japanese Yen.
Today, 1 US Dollar = 120 Japanese Yen.

In September 2014, 1 Euro = 1.3 US Dollar.
Today, 1 Euro = 1.08 US Dollar.

There must be a lot of corrupt/clueless governments out there.
God bless u bro not foolishly following APC like fulani cow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:44am On Mar 24, 2015
agabaI23:
The same grade as "I stabilize global oil price"

He allowed the naira to depreciate by 20% from 76k to 89k to $1 and it is now that he will make naira equal to a $1. Someone tells me he is sincere?
Jmain, Jmaine, Firefire, anonimi, sweet ellechrystal, Whynotthetruth, Kenai dein77, barcanista eeee make una come ooooo Buhai is at it again grin grin grin

Boss, I saw this but I didn't know what words to use in describing this man buhari and his handlers...Rochas made same nonsensical statement during their presidential primaries in Lagos notwithstanding that he(Rochas) has been governor for 4years without building or attracting a SINGLE industry of worth to Imo state...Buhari picked up that bug and added to his redundant brain.... I keep saying this; if buhari failed in his prime, how can he succeed in his old age with age and technology against him....I weep for Nigeria if these men should get close to Abuja but God agaghi ekwe ka ngwere gbaa aji...
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:45am On Mar 24, 2015
Ngwakwe:

To twisting the GMB statement and intent, we are not children who read out of context.

Go back to the article, read again and try to comprehend.

If he was talking about redemonitation, there wouldn't be a cause to complain as it doesn't cost a dime to excute rather he was specifically referring to value of wages, cost of living in relation to labour.

I don't even blame him because it is not his field and paraventure he wins, he will still assemble competent economists to do the job but he goofed.

The headline of the article said he talked of raising the value of our currency and there was a backlash as if to was not possible. I do not need GMB to tell me how he expects to achieve it. I am pointing out how possible it is and how it can be done.

A professor of economics believed it was achievable.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 24, 2015
PapaBrowne:

Are you serious Your speech just gave you off as someone who lacks complete understanding of Economics>

Illiteracy no be moi moi oh!! Ha! So if someone tells you he will equate the value to the dollar you would just swallow it hook line and sinker??
What were you doing when others were attending Economics class??

For the Naira to be equal to the dollar, you would need to see our dollar reserve rate go to something like a trillion dollars!! Even with 20 years of 20% economic growth rate, we would probably not be there!!

Now the bigger lesson for you is that a very strong Naira is not good for our country especially if you want to produce goods and export competitively..
Now let me explain that to you:
A bag of Dangote cement sells for 1500 Naira.
When the dollar was 160 Naira, that bag of cement was equal to $9.
At the new rate of 215 Naira, that same bag of cement is now equal to $7.
That means if Dangote wants to sell his cement in Albania, he has a better price point than he would have had 5 months ago.

Now imagine the Naira is exchanging at 5 Naira to a dollar.
That same bag of cement would now be equal to $300. Where on planet earth would he be able to sell his bag of cement at that price??

Any country that desires to produce and export to the rest of the globe, prays for a weaker currency to allow its goods better pricing amongst competitors. If Buhari understands economics, he will never pray for a very strong Naira except of course he wants us to keep importing everything!!

I disagree with you. to revive Nigeria economy. ..d 1st drastic step is to tackle corruption holistically. 2nd...govt should seize all the foreign currency in domiciliary accounts nationwide , n ensure all contracts n businesses are conducted in NAIRA. I can tell u...within 2yrs d value of naira will rise c aprcably.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 24, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
do u work,dis country don suffer,collect free money without work,and that is corruption.
Abeg no vex bros, you de Lagos? I supposed to drink beer on top your head to celebrate victory for Jonathan.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49am On Mar 24, 2015
mickey45:

Aren'tyou tired of our total import dependency, imagine if all fuels we import daily, the drugs imported 2 deal with Ebola, all the stationery we use, most if not all the clothes we put on, all the palm and groundnut oils we cook with, and a host of other God-knows-what we use on a daily basis. Just think of all the jobs we've been exporting to others.
The Bible tells that it makes more sense to give than to receive.
If we had played our cards right 4rm the start, Nigeria would've been to at least W.Africa,what China is to the most of the world's Countries.

Ask your self why GEJ has not taking any major step to enable us refine and export refined products.

The policies we have on ground favor the corrupt cabals and this government favors the corrupt few. If we want to move forward, and achieve what you are crying out for, we need to stamp out corruption.

That is our public enemy number one. Then we need policies that can grow the export institution in a less corrupt environment.
Re: I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 24, 2015
ellechrystal:
Hahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahahhhhhahaa. This is national issue mehn tongue
Thank you darling! This is more important than the thrash of Buhari!

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Tinubu Appoints Gbajabiamila Chief Of Staff / Senator Dino Melaye Sent To Prison By Lokoja Court (Photo) / 'Policeman Jacked & Punched Me' - Dino Melaye Shares Videos, Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.