Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Nigerian Men: Respect - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Men: Respect (4816 Views)

8 Things Guys Do That Make Ladies To Loose Respect For Them / Are Nigerian Babes Losing Out On Nigerian Men? / Why Do Nigerian Men Like Fat Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 6:36pm On Jan 19, 2009
I asked this question before but I had no responses. What exactly do Nigerian men deem as respectful? I ask because many people on this forum throw this word around a lot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 19, 2009
Man: Honey, I'm home

Woman: *knees down* Welcome, my lord, my king, my husband, your food is already on the table.

Man: Haaa! This woman, won't you relieve me of my bag?

Woman: Am sorry, my lord, . *takes bag*

Man: I'd need iyan and egusi to munch on while am watching arsenal vs. Manchester.

Woman: Yes, my oga. Whta drink would you like with it?

Man: You this woman, don't bother me. You know I like beer. waka

Woman: Am sorry, my husband, but you know I always want to please you. Do you want anything during Naadal's match too?

Man: Yes, woman!

Man: You are very disrespectful, who asked you? Do you know who I am? Who are you? Who are you?

Woman: But, eh ehn, am tired na.

Man: Am going to the bathroom, "divide" by the time I get back.

Woman: Yes, my husband

Man: You'll enjoy the one-mine, trust me

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 7:00pm On Jan 19, 2009
hahahaha Ruby, you're freaking hilarious. I'm serious though I really want to know.
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

hahahaha Ruby, you're freaking hilarious. I'm serious though I really want to know.
LOL, ok, on the serious note, I don't know. . . .or I might have an idea, just not sure.

But I am darn sure I won't sit around and let a man walk over me all in the name of respect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by chamotex(m): 7:20pm On Jan 19, 2009
HeatFusion:

Woman: *knees down* Welcome, my lord, my king, my husband, your food is already on the table.

Man: I'd need iyan and egusi to munch on while am watching arsenal vs. Manchester.

Woman: Am sorry, my husband, but you know I always want to please you. Do you want anything during Naadal's match too?

Man: You are very disrespectful, who asked you? Do you know who I am? Who are you? Who are you?

Spot On!
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 19, 2009
chamotex:

Spot On!
Of course, Naija man for sho'
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by vicade(m): 7:26pm On Jan 19, 2009
Naija man? Maybe. But i doubt the naija women of nowadays will fit the Woman tag in that Dialogue so i presume it might be a Nigerian Man with a Non-Nigerian Woman
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2009
vicade:

Naija man? Maybe. But i doubt the naija women of nowadays will fit the Woman tag in that Dialogue so i presume it might be a Nigerian Man with a Non-Nigerian Woman

You got it twisted. A non-Nigerian woman won't do any of that. If you're hungry, go to the kitchen and make something to eat or you come back home when the whole family is eating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2009
vicade:

I seriously hope so.
We, Nigerian women, should not take that kinda crap from you men cool cool
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by KarmaMod(f): 7:32pm On Jan 19, 2009

Man: You'll enjoy the one-min, trust me

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 19, 2009
If you love your partner respect will come naturally. Its a two-way street.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

You got it twisted. A non-Nigerian woman won't do any of that. If you're hungry, go to the kitchen and make something to eat or you come back home when the whole family is eating.
Thank you. A designated time should be establish for the time the woman cooks so the family can eat together.
anything before, between and after that, the man/his children can go to the kitchen and find some snacks to eat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 7:35pm On Jan 19, 2009
davidylan:

If you love your partner respect will come naturally. Its a two-way street.

I know that but I feel like there is a different manual for Nigerian men lol.

HeatFusion:

Thank you. A designated time should be establish for the time the woman cooks so the family can eat together.
anything before, between and after that, the man/his children can go to the kitchen and find some snacks to eat.

I have raised knowing that everyday by 7:30 pm everyone goes to the dining room to have dinner. If you're late, pray that there are left overs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by vicade(m): 7:36pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

I was trying to say most Naija girls especially the working class and educated wont take such.Unless they are Old Cargo,Illiterate and Desperate.
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by agaba123(m): 7:38pm On Jan 19, 2009
David thanks my dear.

You will find it difficult to respect someone you do not love. Love no be Bleep

Now if the love is both ways, the respect will flow naturally but if you as a woman gets hitched with a man you love who does not love you, he may get away with disrespecting you like in that dialogue(though exaggerated)
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 7:40pm On Jan 19, 2009
vicade:

I was trying to say most Naija girls especially the working class and educated wont take such.Unless they are Old Cargo,Illiterate and Desperate.

When you call them such names when they do do it, how do you expect them to show you that "respect"?
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by drrionelli(m): 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2009
This is interesting to me as North American. Help me understand something: In the US, respect is not an entitlement, but rather, something that is earned. Is respect viewed the same in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by vicade(m): 7:46pm On Jan 19, 2009
drrionelli:

This is interesting to me as North American. Help me understand something: In the US, respect is not an entitlement, but rather, something that is earned. Is respect viewed the same in Nigeria?

Yes
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

I have raised knowing that everyday by 7:30 pm everyone goes to the dining room to have dinner. If you're late, pray that there are left overs
Lmao. . . .if there's no left overs, noodles are in the kitchen

But on a serious note, like my house, there's a closet obtained to snack. morning, brunch and after dinner. Just incase one of us does not have the time to eat. meeting, outing, etc.

It's all in arranging your kitchen o jare. And your time, ofcourse

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2009
drrionelli:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2009
drrionelli:

This is interesting to me as North American.  Help me understand something:  In the US, respect is not an entitlement, but rather, something that is earned.  Is respect viewed the same in Nigeria?

Exactly. I keep having this feeling like Nigerian men think that because they are men, they have to respected and we (women) have to be submissive (ugh, I hate that word lol). I look at threads and that is all I see.

@all, I need to know,

1) Would he find it disrespectful if I asked him to start cooking because I am stuck in traffic or even, help me out in the kitchen when I am cooking?
2) Would he find it disrespectful if I asked him to do the laundry?
3) Would he find it disrespectful if I told him I really don't want t have sex but I'll rather cuddle and talk?
4) Would he find it disrespectful if I told him that I feel his mom has been visiting too frequently?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by C2H5OH(f): 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2009
Find yourself a compatible partner that shares your sentiments. Isn't that why we date/court?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by SisiJinx: 8:04pm On Jan 19, 2009
HeatFusion:

Rotflmao!!

Ruby, you killed it!!!! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by vicade(m): 8:04pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

Exactly. I keep having this feeling like Nigerian men think that because they are men, they have to respected and we (women) have to be submissive (ugh, I hate that word lol). I look at threads and that is all I see.

@all, I need to know,

1) Would he find it disrespectful if I asked him to start cooking because I am stuck in traffic or even, help me out in the kitchen when I am cooking?
3) Would he find it disrespectful if I told him I really don't want t have sex but I'll rather cuddle and talk?
4) Would he find it disrespectful if I told him that I feel his mom has been visiting too frequently?

That is the use of courtship. A guy that does not do all these in courtship is not expected to do it in Marriage though i personally think you are right except your fourth point.

The approach to issues matter and in as much as people pretend, during courtship, you should be able to see these things unless of ofcourse the person is non chalant or a desperate old cargo. I know a lot of working class wives who dont cook for their husbands. They leave that to the House Maid. Is that Disrespect?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 8:09pm On Jan 19, 2009
vicade:

That is the use of courtship. A guy that does not do all these in courtship is not expected to do it in Marriage though i personally think you are right except your fourth point.

The approach to issues matter and in as much as people pretend, during courtship, you should be able to see these things unless of ofcourse the person is non chalant or a desperate old cargo. I know a lot of working class wives who dont cook for their husbands. They leave that to the House Maid. Is that Disrespect?

Is he complaining?
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 8:10pm On Jan 19, 2009
Would he find it disrespectful if I happen to earn more than he does?
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by SisiJinx: 8:11pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

@all, I need to know,

1) Yes, a man is not supposed to step into a kitchen let alone touch a pot.
2) Yes because he is a man and doing Laundry is the dirtiest job ever.
3) Yes because he is a man and only his needs, wants and urges matter.

4) Huh? I mean seriously. . . HUH?!!! \ His mom visits frequently? HIS OWN MOTHER?!! All jokes aside, this is disrespective to everyone. . . man, woman and child.

Come now, I'm all for Rah! Rah Reh Reh I am a woman hear me roaaaaaar but this is pushing it. embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by vicade(m): 8:12pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

Of course not. But if you rub it in his face then that is disrespectful
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by SisiJinx: 8:13pm On Jan 19, 2009
DaPhoenix:

Well obviously, we are talking about someone with major issues here. . . more than the usual being a Nigerian man issues here.

Where did you find this guy??!!
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by DaPhoenix(f): 8:18pm On Jan 19, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Well obviously, we are talking about someone with major issues here. . . more than the usual being a Nigerian man issues here.

Where did you find this guy??!!

lol Sisi stop it. I am really seriously here. [size=2pt] I'm considering dating a Nigerian man in the near future[/size]

vicade:

Of course not. But if you rub it in his face then that is disrespectful

ok I can live with that.
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Okanran(m): 8:22pm On Jan 19, 2009
C2H5OH:

Find yourself a compatible partner that shares your sentiments. Isn't that why we date/court?

10 out of 10, amigo! wink
Re: Nigerian Men: Respect by Sapphic: 8:29pm On Jan 19, 2009
HeatFusion:

ROFLMAO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Mindset Of Some Nigerian Girls! / Why the Attack/Insult On Nigerian Girls/Ladies? / Only Anambra Boys Can Be This Stingy And Plan Like Baba Ijebu(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.