Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? (17369 Views)

Opposition Politics; To Play Or Not To Play / ‘factors That Aided Apc’s Victory At The Polls’ - Tinubu's Aide, Dare, Reveals / Celebrations Throu Out Port Harcourt Over APC Victory (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by tolujohnso: 9:18pm On Apr 03, 2015
There won't be absence of opposition. If PDP does not assume the role, d electorates will indirectly do. However, at at d next election in four yrs time, Nigerians will vote any "seemingly credible" candidate; outside PDP, except it plays an effective opposition role. I doubt if APC would squander dis hard earned privilege!

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by codedguy1(m): 9:20pm On Apr 03, 2015
PDP will make a formidable opposition. The problem is who will be the one to carry the party as a leader? Mark, Akpabio and Muazu comes to mind, if they can stay and weather the lose now am sure they would pick up.

They can solidify their stand in the SE and SS and form alliances with SDP to have a strong base in the SW.

The likes of FFK, Okupe, Fayose, Clark and Bode George must be told to lie low because their utterances annoy a lot of people even when they are right, all because of their reputation.

PDP can do it, this was a shocker. They never believed it until it was too late.

They shud lick their wounds and move on, more determined.

We need an opposition.

2 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by savcy(m): 9:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ahmeduana:

THE QUESTION IS CAN PDP GO VIOLENT THE WAY OF THE APC? Left for me apc did not win this election on the stren of merit. WHAT I WOULD LOVE PDP TO DO IS TO MAKE SURE THEY WIN ALL THE SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST STATES AND MAKE SURE THEY JEALOUSLY GUARD THOSE STATES, AFTER THAT THEY SHOULD SYSTEMATICALY CREATE THEIR OWN TYPE OR VERSION OF BOKO HARAM, AFTER ALL a child that denies the mother the chance to rest, the child also will not rest. THE PAINFUL THING IS THAT NIGERIANS WILL BE THE ONES TO SURFER IT.

You are a big fool for subscribing to killing and blood-letting all because of retaining or acquiring power. When the new Boko-Haram is formed it is your family members that'll be first to be killed. Buffoon.

Even if PDP wins all the SS and SE states, if Buhari does considerably well before the next elections, PDP will still lose more states in 2019. PDP must place and use good governance as a campaign strategy. People won't vote for you sentimentally any more. If you like engage 1millions thugs to intimidate people, with the PVC and card readers and the continued reform of INEC, your party will still be voted out. Good governance is the new campaign strategy. Gra-gra has no place in Nigerian politics anymore.

6 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by ACM10: 9:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
The truth is that opposition is yet to master the act of ruling. While in power, they may still behave like opposition by acting irresponsibly. Opposition has poor skills in consolidating power. Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood experience is still vivid on our mind. Moreover, I see this uneasy alliance developing crack soon.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 03, 2015
expertfingers:

Or OPC smiley
Badt guy grin
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by akins56(m): 9:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
laplace12:

..And mind you, it is only the masses in the North that love Buhari. The leaders don't like him. Most of them will not want to be in the same party with him.
and who bleeping care about some weightless elites when you have millions of talakawa with pvc behind you ?

2 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by akins56(m): 9:35pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ahmeduana:

THE QUESTION IS CAN PDP GO VIOLENT THE WAY OF THE APC? Left for me apc did not win this election on the stren of merit. WHAT I WOULD LOVE PDP TO DO IS TO MAKE SURE THEY WIN ALL THE SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST STATES AND MAKE SURE THEY JEALOUSLY GUARD THOSE STATES, AFTER THAT THEY SHOULD SYSTEMATICALY CREATE THEIR OWN TYPE OR VERSION OF BOKO HARAM, AFTER ALL a child that denies the mother the chance to rest, the child also will not rest. THE PAINFUL THING IS THAT NIGERIANS WILL BE THE ONES TO SURFER IT.
bro, do you think with your anus ? So PDP should start killing people who would fight their battles's in the SS and SE ?

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Raiders: 9:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
codedguy1:
PDP will make a formidable opposition. The problem is who will be the one to carry the party as a leader? Mark, Akpabio and Muazu comes to mind, if they can stay and weather the lose now am sure they would pick up.

They can solidify their stand in the SE and SS and form alliances with SDP to have a strong base in the SW.

The likes of FFK, Okupe, Fayose, Clark and Bode George must be told to lie low because their utterances annoy a lot of people even when they are right, all because of their reputation.

PDP can do it, this was a shocker. They never believed it until it was too late.

They shud lick their wounds and move on, more determined.

We need an opposition.
unfortunately, PDP don't have a "Tinubu" or "Buhari" that can make the party great again. OBJ would have been a great leader for pdp but he is already too old. Akpabio and Mauzu don't have the national followers and are more like local champions in their states. GEJ is an injured lion and I don't see him making a comeback so he should step down as the national leader of pdp. PDP only hope is to beg Atiku back to the party and lead the party back to its glory days. I think Atiku will come back to pdp if he is offer the opportunity to lead the party.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by BigBen10: 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
miqos02:
labour party is an arm of PDP, like APGA.

well true talk but there are still many more smaller parties that can come together. I think there is an ACNP or something like that.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by amnestylaw1(m): 9:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
Unto Buhari's victory I toast with this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBuCSsYnuo
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by onatisi(m): 9:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
The results of the governor ship elections will determine the kind of opposition that will exist between now and 2019
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by signz: 9:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
There'll always be opposition. Nature always has a way of striking a balance. If it doesn't come from outside the part, it will come from within the party.

PDP will still be there and they'll be joined by disgruntled members from the APC.

And yes there'll be disagreement in the apc
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 9:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
MaleoPearls:
A Country without opposition will be very boring. It is the opposition that makes politics interesting. But I doubt if the PDP can provide us with the kind of fight the APC put up till their emergence.

The APC only reached the summit of Nigerian politics with the famous split and later splinter PDP group of Kwankwaso, Ameachi and the rest. This is exactly how the new PDP will emerge. A combination of disgruntled APC men combining with hardcore PDP loyalists sometime within the next two to three years when the 'sharing' is all done.

Two things have to happen by then. One. The footprints of President Jonathan will have long been washed away by the beach waves. Two, the magnetic poles will have switched completely around with the PDP offering a President of Northern extraction with a vice from the South-South but preferrably South-East to counter and split the APC northern block vote.

One interesting outcome of this election is the solid alliance forming between the South-South and South-East. Going forward I think the S.S should reward the support the East gave them by pushing for the S.E VP slot and beyond. This is also a strategic mistake the APC is making that may cost them someday if they are not able to make political in roads there.

Trust me, opposition politics is alive and well and will be taken to a whole new level. Its just a matter of time.

3 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 9:58pm On Apr 03, 2015
signz:
There'll always be opposition. Nature always has a way of striking a balance. If it doesn't come from outside the part, it will come from within the party.

PDP will still be there and they'll be joined by disgruntled members from the APC.

And yes there'll be disagreement in the apc

Correct. You know your onions quite well. Not only will Jonathan step down from power, it is important he ceeds the reigns at Wadata House. Like in the Parliamentry system, when the PM goes from government, he more or less leaves the party chair. It is critical. OBJ held onto it too long and did more damage to the party in the party.

Democracy is a system not a person. We should never lose that important perspective. OBJ cannot understand this so he is caught in a wierd state of matter. He is not a political liquid, solid or gas.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by marv1: 10:00pm On Apr 03, 2015
Misogynist2014:
If Buhari performs, PDP will dwindle until it is practically nonexistent. It will then take a lot of time for a formidable opposition to be built.
. You are speaking my mind 100%. Pdp is nt a 4midable opposition party, so there4 it will fizzle out. They dont have gud structure on ground. If GMB can over deliver in d first term in office pdp is finished. I may nt be 100 correct but i cant see any serious minded person in pdp, they are all political jobbers waiting to loot.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by UpLoyo: 10:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
jaziridon:
PDP is coming back 2019. Watch out

You left something out...GEJ till 2019 grin grin grin

Come back and take naija back to Egypt? 16-yr non achiever wants to come back? Disillusioned morons

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 10:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
marv1:
. You are speaking my mind 100%. Pdp is nt a 4midable opposition party, so there4 it will fizzle out. They dont have gud structure on ground. If GMB can over deliver in d first term in office pdp is finished. I may nt be 100 correct but i cant see any serious minded person in pdp, they are all political jobbers waiting to loot.

You know very little about politics. Is there any society where leaders ultimately deliver to all peoples all the time while demands remain static. Please wake up. Man's wants are insatiable. Nigeria has nothing but hungry mouths and extremely divergent hearts. You can only appease them for a season. For example, Fashola's successor is not likely going to enjoy equal popularity even if he produces 110% simply because the bar has been raised unrealistically high. Buhari is starting from such a low so he has traction but over time even your starry eyes will change. You yourself will become his opposition. It always happens.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 10:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
asha80:
I have heard about this before...but I do not know how true it is

It is true. He's not popular among northern elites. Only at the grassroots is he popular. But some of them play eye service to identify with him for political advantage.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 10:31pm On Apr 03, 2015
onatisi:
The results of the governor ship elections will determine the kind of opposition that will exist between now and 2019

No matter the outcome of next weekend's elections there will be opposition. People have tasted the abilities to change government by the ballot so they will try. The fact that it has happened peacefully will attract better quality candidates who hitherto viewed Nigerian politics as Tom and Jerry rating 18+ and thus stayed away.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by smartleo(m): 10:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Bevista:
PDP is very poor in the art of proper politicking and mobilization. Over the last 16 years they have depended on money, intimidation, Federal Might, etc to have their way.

Now that they have lost their advantage, I'm not sure these guys have the wit, resilience and maneuver of Tinubu to offer a credible opposition.

I hope they don't all defect to APC after the Gubernatorial elections.

Modified:
Should PDP loose Akwa Ibom & Rivers States, then their source of funds will really be compromised, making them virtually dead.
sincerely I don't see pdp surviving as an opposition party,these fellas are bunch of thieves that thrive on federal government money But I see party like KOWA playing a more stronger role of the opposition .seriously time will tell
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Osakah24(m): 11:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
honourhim:
unfortunately PDP is a party that is full of people who play food-is-ready politics. The food is now on the table of APC and rather than play opposition, those men in PDP will even prefer to eat from the crumbs that falls from the table of APC. Na wa o
the muscle of the current apc comes from ex pdp members and when they dont get there wishes met under the current leadership(which i doubt they will considering gmb's stance )will fall back to pdp n start castigating apc.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by onatisi(m): 11:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
Reference:

No matter the outcome of next weekend's elections there will be opposition. People have tasted the abilities to change government by the ballot so they will try. The fact that it has happened peacefully will attract better quality candidates who hitherto viewed Nigerian politics as Tom and Jerry rating 18+ and thus stayed away.
actually what I mean is ,if pdp wins majority of states in the next gov elections ,then there is bound to be a strong oppoosition ,but if apc does ,then I won't be surprised if pdp gets weaker by 2019 . Nigeria politics will always be a capital intensive one and only those in political positions can really boast of enough financial powers. Opposition to the federal must start with the states,if apc loses lagos and rivers ,then they are in danger .
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by amodu(m): 11:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
hardywaltz:
They should understudy the APC and if they are smart enuff they can grab one of the Chambers of the National Assembly in the next round of elections in 2019 effectively turning the President into a "Lame Duck President" and by 2023 grab back the seat of power or worse case they grab both houses of the National Assembly and turning the President from the ruling party into a "Sitting Duck President".

point of correction: it is now governing party and not rulling party
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by hush15: 12:16am On Apr 04, 2015
MaleoPearls:
A Country without opposition will be very boring. It is the opposition that makes politics interesting. But I doubt if the PDP can provide us with the kind of fight the APC put up till their emergence.

You would be surprised by the stunts they can still pool. However, it still depends on wether they are given the space to again to correct their wrongs ad improve on their rights.

I posted something earlier about letting PDP have lagos. Its good to allow opposition thrive. Competition in politics drives performances and the real beneficiaries are us the citizen.

Should we concede Lagos to PDP, they have the second chance to redeem an image dented and also regain confidence lost. As they do this the party weilding power at the center would have to buckle up so they don't tae the citizens for granted. Its all about balancing our politics and ensuring our voice as citizens remains relevant.

Investiture of power to much to one party irrespective of performance can be unhealthy, very toxic and have negative impact on a democracy many have sacrificed for. For citizens to keep their goverment and its party on their toes is let them

And that's why I need all lagos out there to go out en - masses and brea that yoke of bondage and also deliver the stae from a one party system. Let's massively vote for PDP, if not for aything but to let APC know that they can't afford to mess up. They might end up back to where PDP is at the moment.

2 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by preselect(m): 12:40am On Apr 04, 2015
Bevista:
PDP is very poor in the art of proper politicking and mobilization. Over the last 16 years they have depended on money, intimidation, Federal Might, etc to have their way.

Now that they have lost their advantage, I'm not sure these guys have the wit, resilience and maneuver of Tinubu to offer a credible opposition.

I hope they don't all defect to APC after the Gubernatorial elections.

Modified:
Should PDP loose Akwa Ibom & Rivers States, then their source of funds will really be compromised, making them virtually dead.
you obviously underestimate the power of democracy. as long as we have free and fair elections, there will always be opposition. India National Congress ruled india for decades, yet the opposition didnt die, they came back and right now INC is the opposition. even when PDP was the all and mighty in nigeria what happened? PDP became their own opposition. remember OBJ vs Okadigbo, OBJ vs Anyim Pius, etc.

look make i tell you, without opposition nigeria is in trouble, this is bc Buhari everything it takes to be a dictator:
he's handsome
popular
charismatic
military experience
media love him
overwhelming majority in parliament
financial weight
spin masters

the only thing that stops him from being a dictator now is his conscience (if any) and the opposititon. so better pray the PDP performs, or better still you raise opposition from withing the APC

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by nairalife101: 12:58am On Apr 04, 2015
If I were PDP, I certainly would have merged with other political parties in Nigeria and... fight back against APC.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Bevista: 1:12am On Apr 04, 2015
preselect:

you obviously underestimate the power of democracy. as long as we have free and fair elections, there will always be opposition. India National Congress ruled india for decades, yet the opposition didnt die, they came back and right now INC is the opposition. even when PDP was the all and mighty in nigeria what happened? PDP became their own opposition. remember OBJ vs Okadigbo, OBJ vs Anyim Pius, etc.

look make i tell you, without opposition nigeria is in trouble, this is bc Buhari everything it takes to be a dictator:
he's handsome
popular
charismatic
military experience
media love him
overwhelming majority in parliament
financial weight
spin masters

the only thing that stops him from being a dictator now is his conscience (if any) and the opposititon. so better pray the PDP performs, or better still you raise opposition from withing the APC
Fantastic review! My hope is that PDP or any other party emerges as a viable opposition to put the APC on their toes.

I am not against opposition to the APC, I was only raising my concern about the possibility of PDP being that opposition.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by jaziridon(m): 7:38am On Apr 04, 2015
UpLoyo:

You left something out...GEJ till 2019 grin grin grin

Come back and take naija back to Egypt? 16-yr non achiever wants to come back? Disillusioned morons
Wat do u know? U should be preparing for Waec now, wat are u even doing online. #child
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by saintandsinnerz: 8:58am On Apr 04, 2015
asdfjklhaha:
Everything now depends on the governorship elections in the South East. If APC wins Imo, Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi, then PDP is dead and buried. If PDP wins, then we have ourselves an opposition.

But with the look of things, I doubt if the igbo man is willing to gamble their federal relevance just for the sake of reviving a party that deliberately killed itself most especially after loosing a golden chance to produce a senate president and speaker house of reps. Igbos are wise, so they would align with APC and vote out PDP.

Therefore opposition politics in nigeria is dead.
You must be delusional to think the Igbos will vote for APC in the Gubernatorial elections. If you know the widespread sentiment against the APC especially after the presidential election when people like you started abusing the Igbos for making their choice. The harm your utterances have done to Okorocha is massive. I will not be surprised if he loses d governorship election because people who wanted to vote for him are now angry with the kind of insults being meted to the Igbo race. Haven't you noticed that Rocahs celebration of Buhari's victory is not so pronounced. He knows that igobs are not happy with APC and their supporters cos of their smear campaign targetted to d Igbos. Though I'm not God, but Rochas faces a very serious fight to retain d seat
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by codedguy1(m): 10:17am On Apr 04, 2015
Raiders:
unfortunately, PDP don't have a "Tinubu" or "Buhari" that can make the party great again. OBJ would have been a great leader for pdp but he is already too old. Akpabio and Mauzu don't have the national followers and are more like local champions in their states. GEJ is an injured lion and I don't see him making a comeback so he should step down as the national leader of pdp. PDP only hope is to beg Atiku back to the party and lead the party back to its glory days. I think Atiku will come back to pdp if he is offer the opportunity to lead the party.

I disagree, Tinubu was a regional leader with the APC and they would have remained a regional party if not for the merger with Buhari who had a cult following in the north, coupled with the impunity in the jonathan govt that made neutrals to get upset with the Jonathan govt.

The PDP have a structure in every state and can still be a formidable opposition, the main issue is who will be ready to take it upon himself/themselves to stand up push for a come back.

Jonathan as the leader now and incumbent in which power changed hand cannot be the one that's why I did not mention his name. I believe the likes of Akpabio, Mark, Metuh, could stand and be counted.

It would be double tragedy for Naija if PDP fizzles away and we end up with a one party state.

Nothing is impossible with these politicians but the day I hear Akpabio, Mark and Metuh join APC then its over for PDP.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Meti99(m): 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2015
U,' bera run for yo life
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Meti99(m): 4:12pm On Jul 24, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Electricity Union Assures Nigerians Of Stable Power Supply / Enugu State Builds The First Christian Chapel In Government House / Governor Udom Emmanuel's Intervention On Arochukwu (Abia state) - Obotme Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.