Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,965 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (2151) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3014847 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2148) (2149) (2150) (2151) (2152) (2153) (2154) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2023
komekn:

After all the years of you posting pictures of the Nigerian military here.

I have really over estimated your understanding, capacity and insight.

You've just dropped a nuclear ICBM , I can't believe it , I don't know whether to cry 😭or to laugh 😂. The depth of ignorance is beyond all measurement.

Now I see why you put up these arguments anchored ⚓ on wind and fresh air.

Chei you fall my hand 👎🏾👎🏾👎🏾 bros you know no anything .

It seems you are operating on DOS when we are all on Windows 11. Blind 👨🏾‍🦯man telling people with eyes 👀 where road deh.

See below FYI if you are able to look closely at the A29 Tucson you can see the blades for the turbo prop engine.
You need to learn how to sheath your sword and be reasonable and mature at times.

A turboprop is different from piston prop. A turboprop may not be regarded as a jet. But it is in fact a jet aircraft. It's propeller is driven by the turbine in it's jet engine unlike piston planes like the Cessna 172 where the turbine is driven by radial piston engine. That's what he was trying to tell you. 10% of a turbo's thrust come from the exhaust. That percentage is known as the bypass ratio. The ratio of air that passes through the compressor and combustion chamber.

If a turboprop cannot be called a jet at all then almost all modern aircraft should not be called jets too. A commercial airliner uses a similar setup to the turboprop known as a high bypass turbofan. Here only about 30% of thrust is provided by the exhaust. The fan driven by the turbine provides the remaining 70%. Modern fighters use a low bypass turbofan which kinda reverses the jet to fan ratio seen in commercial airliners.

Turbojet engines which do not have bypass have been phased out for efficiency and noise problems. It's speed advantage can be provided by an afterburner in a fighter jet.

Essentially both the Embraer, the Boeing airliner and an F22 have the same working principle in their engine. It just differs on bypass ratio.

By the way. Comparing a Super tucano to a WW2 spitfire is really stupid and daft. In modern military aircraft, avionics and weapons systems matter way more than speed.

14 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by U09ce: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2023
As sighted somewhere in the North

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 4:53pm On Feb 18, 2023
Nemesis4you:
X

will stay on target for much longer time, it can take it's own sweet time to observe orient decide and act , jets don't have that luxury perse

You've watched too many fantasy war films 🤣🤣

What situational awareness do you need when you have boots on the ground.

Loitering for what ❓with your noisy turboprop engine for a lucky anti aircraft gunner or someone with a MANPAD to shoot you down

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Toju200(m): 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2023
komekn:

will stay on target for much longer time, it can take it's own sweet time to observe orient decide and act , jets don't have that luxury perse

Loitering for what ❓with your noisy turboprop engine for a lucky anti aircraft gunner or someone with a MANPAD to shoot you down

Oga rest you just hate the aircraft
Everytime Noisy turboprop!!!
Yet ISWAP still dey get am hot from the A29 the bird is doing what it was built for even performed better than in Afghanistan (God bless our skilled pilots)
That's why it's called the Phantom (Ghost) and the Bully

6 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nemesis4you: 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2023
komekn:

Actually if I get time I try to watch cartoons & rarely education videos on making babies grin

So accusing me of watching fantasy war movies etc is totally false wink

Anyways concerning the rest I never impose my views , I only offer them, if you disagree it's fine by me

If u think what I a said is incorrect

it's totally fine by me , either way what difference will it make bro

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stormtrooper11(m): 10:48pm On Feb 18, 2023
komekn:

You know when your in the middle of a fire fight and you don't if you will live or die the most important think that your life hinges is on is SPEED. How quickly can the Airforce get to you ❓❓

Assuming your A29 is in Kainji it will take a hour + to get to Lake Chad. And a modern day Jet fighter about 15/20 minutes.

By the time A29 responds they are all dead .

I know you're trying to make a point but they got A29s at Maiduguri tho. So, distance is not really an issue.

About the speed, the A29s is basically a subsonic turboprop aircraft with good ISR capabilities and precision munitions for a tight-budget airforce like ours. It is suitable for a "low-intensity conflict" like ours with no MANPADS threatening the skies.

I think the aircraft is just fine for our asymmetrical warfare. As far we don't aspire to fight a neighbor with it wink

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stormtrooper11(m): 10:54pm On Feb 18, 2023
Faithful007:
You need to learn how to sheath your sword and be reasonable and mature at times.

A turboprop is different from piston prop. A turboprop may not be regarded as a jet. But it is in fact a jet aircraft. It's propeller is driven by the turbine in it's jet engine unlike piston planes like the Cessna 172 where the turbine is driven by radial piston engine. That's what he was trying to tell you. 10% of a turbo's thrust come from the exhaust. That percentage is known as the bypass ratio. The ratio of air that passes through the compressor and combustion chamber.

If a turboprop cannot be called a jet at all then almost all modern aircraft should not be called jets too. A commercial airliner uses a similar setup to the turboprop known as a high bypass turbofan. Here only about 30% of thrust is provided by the exhaust. The fan driven by the turbine provides the remaining 70%. Modern fighters use a low bypass turbofan which kinda reverses the jet to fan ratio seen in commercial airliners.

Turbojet engines which do not have bypass have been phased out for efficiency and noise problems. It's speed advantage can be provided by an afterburner in a fighter jet.

Essentially both the Embraer, the Boeing airliner and an F22 have the same working principle in their engine. It just differs on bypass ratio.

By the way. Comparing a Super tucano to a WW2 spitfire is really stupid and daft. In modern military aircraft, avionics and weapons systems matter way more than speed .

Your entire write up is cool but I think the bold is debatable. Fighter aircraft require speed. Speed to be able to hit a target and disappear. Speed to be able to leave a lost fight. I don't believe you'll have enough energy to execute ACM maneuvers without a reasonable speed ratio.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Exnavyboy62: 12:20am On Feb 19, 2023
Stormtrooper11:

I know you're trying to make a point but they got A29s at Maiduguri tho. So, distance is not really an issue.

About the speed, the A29s is basically a subsonic turboprop aircraft with good ISR capabilities and precision munitions for a tight-budget airforce like ours. It is suitable for a "low-intensity conflict" like ours with no MANPADS threatening the skies.

I think the aircraft is just fine for our asymmetrical warfare. As far we don't aspire to fight a neighbor with it wink

Naahhh we aren't Warmongers neither are we bullies. Rather Nigerians are peacekeepers wink.

By the way, can any armchair Air force Marshall in the online barracks help me out in my comparison of Nigeria's A29 tucano to Niger's TAI Hurkus jet.
One was delivered with laser guided rockets and gut wrenching restrictions while the other is yet to be delivered, yet to be battle tested but comes along with missiles and no restrictions.
Which is most likely to record better success against ISWAP elements??

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 9:18am On Feb 19, 2023
Toju200:
Oga rest you just hate the aircraft
Everytime Noisy turboprop!!!
Yet ISWAP still dey get am hot from[b] the A29 the bird is doing what it was built for even performed better than in Afghanistan [/b] (God bless our skilled pilots)
That's why it's called the Phantom (Ghost) and the Bully

Please Toju, this is not Call of Duty on PS5.

Little perspective, what % of the entire USAF ground attack sorties were carried out by A29 in Afghanistan over the past 20 years.

The answer will demystify your obsession with this overpriced overstated limited impact and very poor value turbo prop aircraft A29.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:00am On Feb 19, 2023
Odunayaw:
Posting pictures with all this geo-reference

Security risk!

It's a picture posted by kwara state government on social media.
What security risk after an operation has been carried out
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:01am On Feb 19, 2023
U09ce:
As sighted somewhere in the North

Spotted same vehicle somewhere in lagos ?
When did you take this pictures?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:08am On Feb 19, 2023
Odunayaw:
As far as we have not paid

I think that's why the airforce and government is going for 12 Agusta 109 Trekker multi-role helicopters
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:09am On Feb 19, 2023
NN REGIMENT & SBS

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:11am On Feb 19, 2023
Nigerian Air Force Sierra Nevada Corp. (SNC) Super Tucano A-29B armed with Mk-81 250lb bombs and internal .50 cal machine guns. The external fuel tanks are for range extension of the aircraft.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stormtrooper11(m): 11:18am On Feb 19, 2023
Exnavyboy62:
[/b]

Naahhh we aren't Warmongers neither are we bullies. Rather Nigerians are peacekeepers wink.

By the way, can any armchair Air force Marshall in the online barracks help me out in my comparison of Nigeria's A29 tucano to Niger's TAI Hurkus jet.
One was delivered with laser guided rockets and gut wrenching restrictions while the other is yet to be delivered, yet to be battle tested but comes along with missiles and no restrictions.
Which is most likely to record better success against ISWAP elements??

Both the TAI Hürkus and the A29 super tucano operate the same engine type but they're different variants. Power generation of both engines are very close if not the same. They both have similar payload capacity of 1500 kg.

I think the main difference between us and the Nigériéns is the fact that the A29 has an endurance of 8 hours compared to the TAI Hürkus endurance of 4 hours. Plus the AKPWS advantage and A29 avionics. However, the Nigériéns compensate for that with the UMTAS ATGM(that is if the buy that) . We don't have ATGMs on the Tucano.

ISR capabilities on both aircraft are similar.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stormtrooper11(m): 11:23am On Feb 19, 2023
bidexiii:

I think that's why the airforce and government is going for 12 Agusta 109 Trekker multi-role helicopters

I wished we got Mi-28s or Kamov Ka-50/52 instead but seems we can't afford CAATSA sanctions and we might be unsure of spare availability during these times. However, we must get the AH-1Z Viper because the Trekkers won't serve as proper replacements.

The AH-1z vipers are a good option, it's just that we won't be getting ATGMs and AGM-114 hellfire, but we'll be having more range, payload capacity and better avionics. The Turks will only be giving us the ability to launch ATGMs and AGMs.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 12:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
bidexiii:

It's a picture posted by kwara state government on social media.
What security risk after an operation has been carried out
Kwara State gov obviously do not understand OPSEC

Before or after operation, that thing shouldn't be done

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by U09ce: 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2023
bidexiii:

Spotted same vehicle somewhere in lagos ?
When did you take this pictures?

Yesterday
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 2:02pm On Feb 19, 2023
Stormtrooper11:

The turboprops aircraft is satisfactory as a low cost and low maintenance ground attack air frame on the grounds of best value .

However, it's not best value and it's not low cost to acquire and maintain the only low cost is the fuel and it's fuel economy. Go and look at the cost of its USA and NATO sourced precision weaponry

Total package 💵$600 million.

Best value is always about alternative options and that which gives you the most effective delivery outcomes and battlefield impact compared to cost. This is my issue, COST.

$100 million gets you 75 Wing Loong II, UAV plus associated precision weaponry (12 laser-guided bombs or missiles ,480 kg max payload) and up to 40 Hours flight endurance depending on configuration.

That would give you 24/7/365 spatial situation night and day awareness over every area of contention in Nigeria is, as well as air support and protection to elements on the ground. In addition you don't need to put pilots lives at risk, we don't have to talk about the advantage of UAV, Examples in Syria/Turkey, Azerbaijan, Ukraine are enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTr_zPbvELU

To win the war in NE you need boots on the ground to ,seek out, over take, take out, over ride, wipe out and Remain in total control.

Boko, Iswap and associated bandits, are equipped with overwhelming light weaponry , then IEDS, a few technicals with HMG, your obligatory Rpg7, etc.

To occupy and maintain territory you have to have continuously consistent presence. Not repelling from the comfort of your forward bases and running back and forth, hitting and running. That is not being in control.

In addition driving around in soft skinned pick up trucks is suicide and will result in a very high casualty rate. No wonder NA moral is low and the enemy Boko and co emboldened to attack almost at will.

Current procurement is not well thought out and too expensive, as a consequence the number of Armoured platforms is totally inadequate.

You procure used but still serviceable Armoured vehicle platforms. Most USA and NATO armoured platforms will have have not done up to 5000 km. They are still very capable and with long life span left.

I said best BEST VALUE, a Toyota 70 series gun truck which the NA will cost you upwards of $75k a Hilux close to $45k.

A USA made M1117 Guardian almost first generation MRAP could be acquired for $70k per unit. 1500 can be acquired for approximately $105 million. Probably get 2000 HUMVEES armoured variant for less than a $100 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLWLI8wDiTI

You still have $300 million for further acquisitions. For starters better communication infrastructure, other basics like NVG, standard optics on assault rifles, far more use of small sized UAV, Thermal vision, better assault rifles. More heavy lift helicopters Mi8 , used Huey

A movement away from only HMG mounted on armoured platforms to Grenade launchers which give a clear advantage in the sahel terrain. At least 50% of vehicles with 40mm Grenade launchers.

More armoured platforms still needed, a definitive IFV, etc.

Until boots on the ground are far better equipped to deal with the threats as well as a lot of training needed.

If you go through used market you will find a plethora of helicopters or in the alternative USA government surplus in storage but still serviceable. $50 million you've got yourself 40 ,Bell 212, or Sikorsky although that's a whole new study looking at surplus helicopters there just too many sitting in storage getting dusty.

Nonetheless, the less the Nigerian military is very poor in it's contingency response. There should be way more helicopters for early response.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2023
U09ce:

Yesterday

Not the convoy spotted in lagos last week.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:38pm On Feb 19, 2023
#NA

7 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 7:28pm On Feb 19, 2023
Stormtrooper11:

Your entire write up is cool but I think the bold is debatable. Fighter aircraft require speed. Speed to be able to hit a target and disappear. Speed to be able to leave a lost fight. I don't believe you'll have enough energy to execute ACM maneuvers without a reasonable speed ratio.
Yes I never argued against speed.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 7:31pm On Feb 19, 2023
Odunayaw:
Kwara State gov obviously do not understand OPSEC

Before or after operation, that thing shouldn't be done
Says the commander of the Nigerian Special Operations Command grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2023
Faithful007:
Says the commander of the Nigerian Nairaland Special Operations Command grin
Fixed grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 7:36pm On Feb 19, 2023
bidexiii:

You do realize Leonardo is owned by the Italian government and the engines built in Canada right?

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:42pm On Feb 19, 2023
Faithful007:
You do realize Leonardo is owned by the Italian government and the engines built in Canada right?

yeah
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 9:40pm On Feb 19, 2023
grin grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:47am On Feb 20, 2023
Guess who is this ?

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:36am On Feb 21, 2023
#NE
NA

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2023
Malian Air Force Bayraktar TB2

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Richdee1(m): 7:19pm On Feb 21, 2023
Odunayaw:
Fixed grin

Boss any heads-up concerning NGO Jobs?
Man is badly searching for job
Any website to look out for jobs
I don't mind entry level
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:17am On Feb 26, 2023
For God and Country

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2148) (2149) (2150) (2151) (2152) (2153) (2154) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.