Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,539 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (2195) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3026294 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) (2196) (2197) (2198) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:55pm On Mar 13
Picture showing ethiopian soldiers with suppressed emirati made 7,62 x 51 mm Caracal CAR 817 designated marksman rifles.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:00am On Mar 14
NAF SOF WITH CV-III BIGFOOT MRAP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 5:45am On Mar 14
Odunayaw:
The purchase gives the US more leverage over us in future. Even NA is trying out American helicopters.

It only takes a silly Democrat as president and those birds become hangar queens

I don't know why we didn't stick to the Mi-35m Hinds. I'm totally not comfortable with our Cobra purchase at all.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:32am On Mar 14
ocelot2006:

I don't know why we didn't stick to the Mi-35m Hinds. I'm totally not comfortable with our Cobra purchase at all.

The Mi-35m is an agile rotary aircraft inbits class and I'll want us to procure more of them. But we still need other dedicated attack aircraft like the T129 etc

The viper is also a good purchase but guys are just infuriated by the price tag and for the fact that we are not getting any missiles with it.

Don't forget that this deal was between both governments, the AH-1Z procurement was estimated by the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) to be valued at USD997 million. If it there was a middle men/contractor one would think that the prise was infliated or suspicious.

This deal includes the helicopters, related equipment & future upgrades, spare parts, weapons/ammo, training, and support.

American military hardwares are f-u-c-k-e-n expensive, especially airforce hardwares. For me I love the viper and the deal itself but my only pain is that we are not getting any missiles. And this might change in the future.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:23am On Mar 14
bidexiii:

The Mi-35m is an agile rotary aircraft inbits class and I'll want us to procure more of them. But we still need other dedicated attack aircraft like the T129 etc

The viper is also a good purchase but guys are just infuriated by the price tag and for the fact that we are not getting any missiles with it.

Don't forget that this deal was between both governments, the AH-1Z procurement was estimated by the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) to be valued at USD997 million. If it there was a middle men/contractor one would think that the prise was infliated or suspicious.

This deal includes the helicopters, related equipment & future upgrades, spare parts, weapons/ammo, training, and support.

American military hardwares are f-u-c-k-e-n expensive, especially airforce hardwares. For me I love the viper and the deal itself but my only pain is that we are not getting any missiles. And this might change in the future.
I heard the prices were negotiated down to $455m
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:27am On Mar 14
ocelot2006:

The sanctions against Russia most definitely hindered us from getting more. Like Bidexi said, it's vital we have dedicated AH alright but having the Vipers + Tucanos places so much power over our attack capabilities in the hands of the US.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Konquest: 12:28pm On Mar 14
keep2silent:
Maybe not really a leak, news has been circulating for six moths plus. Photos got out locally in Turkey like a month ago. It couldn't be hidden longer because of foreign made FLIR balls imported by Turkey from North American continent that was blocked by NATO giants because of Ukraine Russian war.

I really wish we can get their North American EO FLIR, because ban on Turkey caused doubts when some Ukraine TB2 drones shot downed by Russia exposed best FLIR optics technology to Russian hands for analysis to copy and defeat it.

Some of us fear a Turkey owned inferior EO IR balls on our NA drones due to the ban.

NA order is estimate #s

6 x Bayraktar MALE UAV

10 x Songar mini UAV

=

16 drones for now.

Songar is good vs high value assets strike like that noisy bandit lord of Zamfara.

It won't win us this war but its very useful additional needed assets.

Do your best our NA, with these 16 for now, hoping for more units procurement to form NA Aviation UCAV Air Wing.
Bump.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:59pm On Mar 14
Odunayaw:
The sanctions against Russia most definitely hindered us from getting more. Like Bidexi said, it's vital we have dedicated AH alright but having the Vipers + Tucanos places so much power over our attack capabilities in the hands of the US.

Hmmmmm I havent thought in that direction, @odunayaw is making a valid point.

Let's take Egypt for an example; they bough one of the largest if not the largest fleets of F16 from the United States. But Uncle Sam has refused the Egyptian airforce air-to-air missiles with a range greater than 85 km, restricting there airforce long/medium air-to-air missile arsenal to the AIM-7 Sparrow and 35 km shorter ranged AIM-9 Sidewinders.
However, in response to the pause, the Egyptian military undertook drastic measures to counterbalance their country’s dependency on U.S. military hardware. Towards the end of that year, Egypt began negotiating the purchase of Russia’s MiG-29M2 fighter jets, Ka-52 helicopters and Antey-2500 anti-ballistic missile systems. By 2015, Egypt concluded a deal with France to procure Rafale fighter jets and a FREMM frigate.

Lesson our top brass should learn is "dont put all your egg in one basket".

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 3:41pm On Mar 14
Odunayaw:
There are no sort of sanctions hindering you from buying choppers from Russia. It just isn't a wise decision at this time. EU sanctions on Russia has clogged the supply chain of raw material from Europe to Russia making production and deliveries difficult. Russia has a number of backlogs at the moment and has not even commenced production of existing orders for important allies. Most especially, the ongoing war has also redirected military production to artillery and ammunition as well as logistics and repair of equipment. There is little room for exports and foreign logistics.

The only to get mi35 quickly would be to look for resellers within Europe. Then figure out the network of cut-throat middlemen and third-party parts resellers that will help you service and maintain them for an arm and a leg.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 4:05pm On Mar 14
bidexiii:

Hmmmmm I havent thought in that direction, @odunayaw is making a valid point.

Let's take Egypt for an example; they bough one of the largest if not the largest fleets of F16 from the United States. But Uncle Sam has refused the Egyptian airforce air-to-air missiles with a range greater than 85 km, restricting there airforce long/medium air-to-air missile arsenal to the AIM-7 Sparrow and 35 km shorter ranged AIM-9 Sidewinders.
However, in response to the pause, the Egyptian military undertook drastic measures to counterbalance their country’s dependency on U.S. military hardware. Towards the end of that year, Egypt began negotiating the purchase of Russia’s MiG-29M2 fighter jets, Ka-52 helicopters and Antey-2500 anti-ballistic missile systems. By 2015, Egypt concluded a deal with France to procure Rafale fighter jets and a FREMM frigate.

Lesson our top brass should learn is "dont put all your egg in one basket".

Egypt did not buy the F16s. The got them for free under the peace deal with Israel. Part of the deal was that the jets will not come with weapons that could potentially strike Israel.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 5:28pm On Mar 14
Faithful007:
There are no sort of sanctions hindering you from buying choppers from Russia. It just isn't a wise decision at this time. EU sanctions on Russia has clogged the supply chain of raw material from Europe to Russia making production and deliveries difficult. Russia has a number of backlogs at the moment and has not even commenced production of existing orders for important allies. Most especially, the ongoing war has also redirected military production to artillery and ammunition as well as logistics and repair of equipment. There is little room for exports and foreign logistics.

The only to get mi35 quickly would be to look for resellers within Europe. Then figure out the network of cut-throat middlemen and third-party parts resellers that will help you service and maintain them for an arm and a leg.
Bruhh 🤦🏾

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 6:00pm On Mar 14
Odunayaw:
Bruhh 🤦🏾
They don't mean the same thing.

You said sanctions prevented you getting mi35. US/EU did not sanction anyone but themselves from trading with Russia.

EU sanctions have been there since crimea invasion.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 8:20pm On Mar 14
grin grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 8:51pm On Mar 14
Odunayaw:
That's just for the clean choppers from Bell.
Add everything else and it's still almost $1 billion.
And of course, with the naira doing its dance, the deal has got way more expensive.
I notice the 1st payment was made in August 2023; any idea how many tranches and the time frame for the whole thing? Too lazy to look it up.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 9:08pm On Mar 14
Lurker4Long:

And of course, with the naira doing its dance, the deal has got way more expensive.
I notice the 1st payment was made in August 2023; any idea how many tranches and the time frame for the whole thing? Too lazy to look it up.
I hate the deal so much that I refused to follow up.

grin secretly wish it would tank

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 9:22pm On Mar 14
Lurker4Long:

It was paid with FX from oil sale. Oil industry is dollar revenue so naira devaluation doesn't affect it.

I believe it was paid in 2019 or at least part of it was paid then alongside the Tucanos.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Faithful007: 9:32pm On Mar 14
bidexiii:

Asides stealth aircraft, other US made aircraft are comparable in UNIT cost to Russia and Europe.

And how sure are you that Nigeria requested for missiles? Btw APKWS is a missile lol. But my point is this, the people making these purchases are considering practical use rather than what is cool.

What is the point of buying a HELFIRE when you have APKWS for air to ground which is even better considering the threat and then you have fighter jets with air to air missiles.

There's no need for heavy missiles on a helicopter in Nigeria. The T129 doesn't have missiles either so I guess no one asked for it.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Hulu(m): 11:40pm On Mar 14
[color=#006600][/color]

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 6:19am On Mar 15
Faithful007:
It was paid with FX from oil sale. Oil industry is dollar revenue so naira devaluation doesn't affect it.

I believe it was paid in 2019 or at least part of it was paid then alongside the Tucanos.
I guess the State Department doesn't know what it's talking about.
In August of last year, Nigeria delivered the first payment for 12 AH-1Z Attack Helicopters worth a total of $997 million.
https://www.state.gov/u-s-security-cooperation-with-nigeria/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:32pm On Mar 15
Hulu:
[color=#006600][/color]

Am hearing this for the 1st time yesterday, but it's possible.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:35pm On Mar 15
#NA SOF
#THROW BACK
#FLINTLOCK

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 3:29pm On Mar 15
bidexiii:

Am hearing this for the 1st time yesterday, but it's possible.
This is simply untrue:
455 is the price of the choppers;
Add the engines, spares, armaments, comms, training etc., and it's almost $1 billion.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 4:16pm On Mar 15
Hulu:
[color=#006600][/color]

That's the base price for the helicopters excluding weapons, training, spareparts and infrastructure.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 4:17pm On Mar 15
Odunayaw:
It's not free but there is less string attached

Tell that to Pakistan.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 6:00pm On Mar 15
kabe1:

Tell that to Pakistan.
We are not a country that funds terrorism in our neighbourhood and are sworn enemies of the Asian next door so it's not the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Lurker4Long: 7:39pm On Mar 15
Odunayaw:
We are not a country that funds terrorism in our neighbourhood and are sworn enemies of the Asian next door so it's not the same thing.
The Pakistanis will either wait for the non-US engined TAI ATAK 2 heavy-class attack chopper or simply buy Chinese.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 7:17am On Mar 16
Odunayaw:

You don't understand my comment.

I'm saying to you the T-129 is as susceptible to sanctions as the AH-1Z.

The T-129 depends heavily on American parts, it's engine, the core of the helicopter is American.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 7:27am On Mar 16
Faithful007:

There are sanctions preventing Nigeria from buying Russian military equipment, there was CAATSA before the war in Ukraine and I'm positive these have been strengthened.

The Nigerian economy depends heavily on American expertise, there are also deep cultural ties, the Americans will wreck Nigeria if we procure military equipment from Russia, especially now.

The T-129 is an excellent aircraft, so is the AH-1Z. While it will make logistical sense to buy a single type, Ukraine currently use multiple equipment types and have been able to maintain all of them despite the full blown war with Russia.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by kabe1: 7:30am On Mar 16
ocelot2006:

The AH-1Z is a significantly better aircraft than the MI-35M.

As it is, what we need now is to follow up this purchase with at least a squadron of F-16V fighter jets.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:53am On Mar 16
kabe1:

You don't understand my comment.

I'm saying to you the T-129 is as susceptible to sanctions as the AH-1Z.

The T-129 depends heavily on American parts, it's engine, the core of the helicopter is American.

wahala dey grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:56am On Mar 16
kabe1:

The AH-1Z is a significantly better aircraft than the MI-35M.

As it is, what we need now is to follow up this purchase with at least a squadron of F-16V fighter jets.

Why not the J-10, For me over-reliance on western hardware is enough headache.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:19am On Mar 16
kabe1:

There are sanctions preventing Nigeria from buying Russian military equipment, there was CAATSA before the war in Ukraine and I'm positive these have been strengthened.

The Nigerian economy depends heavily on American expertise, there are also deep cultural ties, the Americans will wreck Nigeria if we procure military equipment from Russia, especially now.

The T-129 is an excellent aircraft, so is the AH-1Z. While it will make logistical sense to buy a single type, Ukraine currently use multiple equipment types and have been able to maintain all of them despite the full blown war with Russia.

Is there anyway Nigeria can go ahead and by from Russia ?

Some countries like Egypt, Morocco,Belarus, Algeria and some Asians countries can still go ahead and buy military hardware without minding uncle's sam sanctions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) (2196) (2197) (2198) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.