Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,356 members, 7,853,576 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:28 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (407) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3067063 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (2203) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:

Legendary South African Special Forces aka RECCE "Danny Roxo":

In 1951 Roxo was attacked by a LEOPARD, he had no knife or gun on him, leaving him to defend himself with his bare hands. He suffered some heavy wounds, but managed to strangle the beast to death, thus making the first entry in his list of legendary deeds.

In 1975 he was Ambushed by 11 Cuban soldiers after doing an operation to blow up a bridge. After some heavy gunfire went down, the rest of his team ran towards the noise, only to find all 11 dead before him, without him being shot once.

In 1976 his truck got hit by a landmine, and the vehicle landed on top of him, he was still alive for more than an hour, not making one sound of pain. He mustered enough strength to take out a cigarette and upon finishing it, he died.
Once in a while or lifetime we stumble upon a picture of someone or people that inspires us to be that man although we never knew them.

Francisco Daniel " Danny" Roxo (AKA The White Devil) is that person and I would upload the picture that inspired me

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 12, 2018
jln115:

He was definitely an operator with 1 Recce.
Yes, but did he complete his Training Cycle at 1 Recce before being seconded to 32?
I'm asking genuinely because the timeline is confusing. He passed Selection in March/April 1975 and went on to 1 Recce for the Training Cycle. Seconded to 32Bat in November and was involved in Op Savanna in Dec 75. That timeline seems to indicate he had not completed the Training Cycle.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2018
frumentius:

We know SA Special Forces operators are called Recces. Danny Roxo passed Recce Selection (at the age of 41 shocked shocked shocked) and then joined 32 Battalion. Passing Selection does not mean you're a Recce operator.
His name is on the roll of honor of the Recce along with two of his friends(Portuguese) who passed Recce selection at the same time as he did, Ribeiro and Soeiro
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:

I know.
Just saying he was also nicked name ; RECCE
nicknamed Recce bawo grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:55pm On Jan 12, 2018
frumentius:

Yes, but did he complete his Training Cycle at 1 Recce before being seconded to 32?
I'm asking genuinely because the timeline is confusing. He passed Selection in March/April 1975 and went on to 1 Recce for the Training Cycle. Seconded to 32Bat in November and was involved in Op Savanna in Dec 75. That timeline seems to indicate he had not completed the Training Cycle.
well lets solve it
At what stage is parachute training given in the training cycle
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
His name is on the roll of honor of the Recce along with two of his friends(Portuguese) who passed Recce selection at the same time as he did, Ribeiro and Soeiro

As they should be. Look, in my mind they were Recces, regardless of whether strictly speaking, they hadn't completed the Training cycle which would entitle them to be called Recce operators.
A mate says their language skills were desperately needed at 32 and their prior experience with the Portuguese saw them skipping some courses and being fast-tracked through the Training Cycle. Our mindless obsession with secrecy means I can't even clear all this up through a simple perusal of the records .
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:06pm On Jan 12, 2018
Shinny aks grin

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 12, 2018
frumentius:

He definitely was a 1 Recce operator and features on SA Special Forces Associations memoriam:

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 3:16pm On Jan 12, 2018
frumentius:

As they should be. Look, in my mind they were Recces, regardless of whether strictly speaking, they hadn't completed the Training cycle which would entitle them to be called Recce operators.
A mate says their language skills were desperately needed at 32 and their prior experience with the Portuguese saw them skipping some courses and being fast-tracked through the Training Cycle. Our mindless obsession with secrecy means I can't even clear all this up through a simple perusal of the records .
"It was to this camp right on the Cuando river that Daniel Roxo, Jose Ribeiro, Ponciano Soeiro, Almarinda da Costa and other former Portuguese servicemen as well as DGS operatives were brought to in October of 1974, here they would participate in a cross over course to teach them SADF methods of combat as well as use of South African weapons, they would also have received training in medical, demolitions, special weapons, and tracking. “O rientation and integration are I believe the correct words used to describe the above ”

This could also explain why the hurriedly got into the field..The men weren't new to that trade
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 3:21pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:
Shinny aks grin
Noticed this? Nearly every tom,dick,harry and his dog these days(especially the commissioned ones) are happy to post a picture of themselves (preferably on IG cheesy) with a special forces tab on their uniform. Its more irritating when I know some of these ones are in supply and transport & supply corps undecided

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
Noticed this? Nearly every tom,dick,harry and his dog these days(especially the commissioned ones) are happy to post a picture of themselves (preferably on IG cheesy) with a special forces tab on their uniform. Its more irritating when I know some of these ones are in supply and transport & supply corps undecided

The first and the last picture are AFSF guys.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:34pm On Jan 12, 2018
PRESS RELEASE

OPERATION DELTA SAFE CLEARANCE OPERATION

1. In line with the Joint Task Force (JTF) OPERATION DELTA SAFE (OPDS) mandate to protect critical Oil and gas facilities in the Niger Delta region, a deliberate operation code named Op EMBER SAFE was conducted by the Force. This operation was aimed at tackling the security challenges posed to safety of lives and critical oil and gas facilities in the region. Consequently, a 7 day clearance operation was initiated by the Comd JTF Rear Admiral Apochi Suleiman to sanitize the region of militants, cultists, sea robbers, kidnappers and other criminals. During the operation, precisely on Thursday 11 January 2018, a notorious militant leader Peregbakumo Oyawerikumo also known as ‘Karowei’ and his criminal gang were arrested.

2. It could be recalled that Mr Karowei and his criminal gang abducted four (4) British Missionaries on 13th October 2017 in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State which led to the unfortunate death of one of the Britons, Late Mr Ian Squire. Karowei and his gang were also responsible for several abductions/kidnappings, robberies and raping of innocent women in the region including unprovoked attacks on military locations in Delta and Bayelsa States. Also on 7th January 2018, Karowei and his gang attacked own troops at Bolu Ndoro forest which led to the death of four (4) Military OPDS personnel.

3. After his arrest, Mr Karowei confessed to several criminal acts and led troops to his camp to recover the cache of arms and ammunitions in his possession as well as to persuade other members of his gang to surrender. However in a twist of events, Karowei’s recalcitrant group laid an ambush and attacked Task Force troops in a gun battle at his camp deep in the forest. This was in a bid to rescue Karowei from own troops. The superior firepower, resilience and gallantry of own troops countered this snap attack which resulted in the death of several of Karowei’s henchmen and the king pin, Karowei who tried to flee to rejoin his cohorts.

4. The Commander, Joint Task Force, OPERATION DELTA SAFE, Rear Admiral Apochi Suleiman deeply appreciates the support of the locals within communities in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State and Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State in finally uprooting this notorious criminal, who in conjunction with his gang have constituted serious security menace around the general area. The Commander Joint Task Force also wishes to seek additional selfless support from law abiding citizens to uproot all criminals causing mayhem within the Niger Delta. He urges all to go about their legitimate businesses as the waterways are now safe and secure. Furthermore he assures the local communities of the Task Force’s commitments to stem all criminalities in the Niger Delta in line with the mandate of the Chief of Defence Staff as well as strategic expectations of the Joint Task Force.

IBRAHIM ABDULLAHI
Major
Coordinator
Joint Media Campaign Centre
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
"It was to this camp right on the Cuando river that Daniel Roxo, Jose Ribeiro, Ponciano Soeiro, Almarinda da Costa and other former Portuguese servicemen as well as DGS operatives were brought to in October of 1974, here they would participate in a cross over course to teach them SADF methods of combat as well as use of South African weapons, they would also have received training in medical, demolitions, special weapons, and tracking. “O rientation and integration are I believe the correct words used to describe the above ”

This could also explain why the hurriedly got into the field..The men weren't new to that trade
Yep. An acquaintance over at Valhalla Hill confirms that "the truncanted timeline in the Training Cycle was because a special dispensation was created for them: operational urgency and the fact they'd already done some of the courses saw them receiving the Operator's Badge faster than usual."
I've left out, to avoid repetition, where he mentions intro to SADF methods, orientation and integration.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 3:57pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:

The first and the last picture are AFSF guys.
My comment wasn't based on the picture at all. Is it only me that has that "righteous anger"? grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 4:03pm On Jan 12, 2018
frumentius:

Yep. An acquaintance over at Valhalla Hill confirms that "the truncanted timeline in the Training Cycle was because a special dispensation was created for them: operational urgency and the fact they'd already done some of the courses saw them receiving the Operator's Badge faster than usual."
I've left out, to avoid repetition, where he mentions intro to SADF methods, orientation and integration.
Also,I read that Roxo was the second oldest man to have a go at recce selection shocked. In a century where forty year olds go about with protruding bellies and whining about how old they are do you know anything about that man?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
My comment wasn't based on the picture at all. Is it only me that has that "righteous anger"? grin

cool lipsrsealed
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by MikeCZA: 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2018
Odunayaw:

One of the reasons reasons 1 recce was killed.

There were Rhodesians too. Former Selous scouts, SAS etc.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 5:20pm On Jan 12, 2018
She surely knows her onions.
My heart ache anytime I see our men in those soft-skinned vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJccypFQ7Q
Cc. Tdayof

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by tdayof(m): 5:48pm On Jan 12, 2018
Xbee007:
She surely knows her onions.
My heart ache anytime I see our men in those soft-skinned vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJccypFQ7Q
Cc. Tdayof

Nice video. I love the deployment of the AML.

About the soft skin vehicles, I made a suggestion of Innoson making something like the Humvees. It will make some sense.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 12, 2018
Grand caravan for Cameroon.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 12, 2018
NAF inspecting a “Special missions” aircraft.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 12, 2018
NAF taking deliveries

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 12, 2018
tdayof:

When did NPF start using Tavor? I just saw a video.

Cc: Odunayaw
Even Nigerian immigration now uses the Tavor, I was renewing my passport in Abuja the other day, won’t be surprised if NSCDC wants in on the action
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 12, 2018
Obvious Alpha jet and L-39 replacement both light attack and training... clears throat in Chinese lipsrsealed

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:31pm On Jan 12, 2018
jakeporeshenko:
NAF taking deliveries

@jakeporeshenko any idea what the deliveries are
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 6:41pm On Jan 12, 2018
tdayof:

Nice video. I love the deployment of the AML.

About the soft skin vehicles, I made a suggestion of Innoson making something like the Humvees. It will make some sense.
The vehicles they recently sold to NA bears some semblance with US army's Humvees, just some slight changes and up-armouring will make it look like the real deal.
It will be very disappointing if those vehicles are eventually deployed to the battlefield without any form of armouring.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 6:45pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:
Shinny aks grin

AN ARTICLE ON 'WHY THE AK-47 IS SO POPULAR IN AFRICA'...

The Kalashnikov AK-47 has been in all conflict in Africa since the 1950's. The reputation of the AK-47 was depicted in the Nicholas Cage movie 'Lord of War'. Mozambique even went further and immortalized it on their flag.

A rifle of choice for rebels, terrorists, drug lords and gangsters alike. This singular firearm has seen the rise and fall of African empires, dictators and nations from the North down to the South.

Virtually everyone in Africa has heard about it and it symbolizes either a tool for self-defense, oppression or liberation depending on the welder. The AK-47 has seen battles from the urban cities to the dense Central African jungles, the harsh North African desert down to the Southern Savannah.

The former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat was assassinated by an AK-47 welding Islamic jihadists, Ugandan president Idi Amin secured his life presidency by arming his troops with the AK-47.
Kalashnikov welding poachers defend their booty against border patrols,-- themselves armed with the AK-47.

Nations have fought each with the Kalashnikov used on both sides. Most African militaries are underfunded and so the AK-47 is a good choice. What makes this particular assault rifle so successful in the African continent?

[img]https://4.bp..com/-uP9cNs-nNEE/Wgm5Iuiji4I/AAAAAAAAAys/D1EKhta3wD4vCmkUEhKbLa8UxhTHDjGHgCLcBGAs/s1600/images.jpeg[/img]

http://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2017/12/why-kalashinikov-ak-47-rifle-m-16-rifle-in-africa.html

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by tdayof(m): 7:03pm On Jan 12, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

Even Nigerian immigration now uses the Tavor, I was renewing my passport in Abuja the other day, won’t be surprised if NSCDC wants in on the action

How do they decide on units that make use of the Tavor. I guess the immigration guys are those attached to the comptroller General.

This NPF surprises me. My dad even said he has no idea on when they started using that.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jan 12, 2018
tdayof:

How do they decide on units that make use of the Tavor. I guess the immigration guys are those attached to the comptroller General.

This NPF surprises me. My dad even said he has no idea on when they started using that.
I don’t think they have to justify who gets these things, the guys I spotted with the x-95 at immigration HQ were guarding the entrance.
The budget for one tavor by far outweighs that of one AK therefore it’s more lucrative for the top officers.

I guess!
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 12, 2018
bidexiii:

@jakeporeshenko any idea what the deliveries are
It’s from mid last year so I guess the super mushhak
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by tdayof(m): 7:08pm On Jan 12, 2018
Xbee007:

The vehicles they recently sold to NA bears some semblance with US army's Humvees, just some slight changes and up-armouring will make it look like the real deal.
It will be very disappointing if those vehicles are eventually deployed to the battlefield without any form of armouring.

Exactly. I'm sure Innoson has something else good in mind.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

It’s from mid last year so I guess the super mushhak

Okay.

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (2203) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.