Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,999 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (566) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3050389 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) ... (2202) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:28am On Jun 18, 2018
MORE

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:36am On Jun 18, 2018
For The First Time since 1967s, Egypt’s military starts to develop the Air Bases located in #Sinai

As Egypt Completed the development work in Malez Airforce base, Sinai to accommodate Squads of F-16 Block52 Jets / Apaches / UAVs /AWACS in it to participate in the ongoing war on terrorism.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

The reply I gave was not wrong, tbe Rowland Air Defence system is obsolete.

We don't have an air defense system or capability.
I'm at loss here, but how are you actually correct? undecided undecided
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:47am On Jun 18, 2018
#NA

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 10:22am On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

The reply I gave was not wrong, tbe Rowland Air Defence system is obsolete.

We don't have an air defense system or capability.

You are still wrong bro, blowpipe and rowland are still in active service in French and British Army.

Where you have a problem is comparing a long range air defence system like S-300 & S-400 with a short range air defense system like Rowland and Blowpipe available in Nigeria.

Look around sub sahara Africa and tell me any army with long range or even medium range air defense system. Even south Africa haven't integrated the Land based umkomto missile in the army yet (which is also short range) probably because of funds.

Don't compare Egypt with Nigeria because they have lot of enemies around them or Algeria that is scarred of NATO invasion.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 10:33am On Jun 18, 2018
Thank you all.

In other words we have no potent Air Defence System because those we have are obsolete and if we ever put them to use, they will most likely fail miserably.

We need something better than those manpads too.

For starters, Nigeria should go for at least Pantsir-S1 or S300.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:47am On Jun 18, 2018
Henry240:

I'm at loss here, but how are you actually correct? undecided undecided

Lost...... grin

The Nigeria Army acquired 16 Roland 2 systems mounted on the AMX-30R chassis and till date only few are functioning/serviceable.

These was a missile system developed in the late 70's. France carried upgrades on its own Rowland air defense system, that is what we should have done. I'll rather go for new platforms than carry out upgrades on those system.

Now talking about air defense systems or capabilities his a broad question; When you say missile system or capability ? do you mean offensive or defensive, I believe you mean defensive, and i am sure you are talking about anti aircraft Surface to air missiles(SAM). SAM’s are either man portable or mounted (vehicle mounted, ship mounted or stand alone).

Now for Nigeria man portable surface to air missiles we have the blowpipe; which was developed by the British in the 60’s, it saw a lot of action during the Falklands War during the early 80’s where it failed badly, The official report stated that, of the 95 missiles fired by the British, only 9 managed to destroy their targets and all of these were slow flying planes and helicopters. Most nations have upgraded their systems to more modern Stinger missiles and SA-25 etc.. And not forgetting we do have Russian SA-7 Grail.

For the fixed mounted SAM weapon system the NA Rowland system. This missile is large and us usually mounted on a vehicle like the AMX-30 chassis. The mobile SAM missile system was credited for one Harrier kill during the Falklands war and It is believed that an Iraqi Roland missile succeeded in shooting down an American A-10 Thunderbolt II at the beginning of the Iraq War, during the battle of Baghdad.

So one answer is Yes Nigeria has a obsolete SAM missile system, but is it effective? the battle readiness of this systems haven't been tested yet in real conflict, but it should be effective against some smaller less advanced and less experienced countries like Ghana, or Kenya grin. But against countries like Egypt, Algeria, dont want ti mention names now... grin shocked Against countries like United States, France & etc we stand NO chance.

Air defense capabilities & effectiveness depends on the country we are in battle with.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 10:47am On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:

You are still wrong bro, blowpipe and rowland are still in active service in French and British Army.

Where you have a problem is comparing a long range air defence system like S-300 & S-400 with a short range air defense system like Rowland and Blowpipe available in Nigeria.

Look around sub sahara Africa and tell me any army with long range or even medium range air defense system. Even south Africa haven't integrated the Land based umkomto missile in the army yet (which is also short range) probably because of funds.

Don't compare Egypt with Nigeria because they have lot of enemies around them or Algeria that is scarred of NATO invasion.
Blowpipe and Rowland are in use by them after undergoing numerous upgrades.

The one currently field by Nigeria is obsolete and most other operators have retired theirs for better systems.

Nigeria need to be proactive for once. We shouldn't wait till disaster strikes before we begin running helter-skelter.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 10:53am On Jun 18, 2018
Xbee007:
Thank you all.

In other words we have no potent Air Defence System because those we have are obsolete and if we ever put them to use, they will most likely fail miserably.

The problem you all have is that you all can't differentiate between the long range system and short range systems.

Any country that can actually bring fighter aircraft to Nigeria's EEZ will still be able to penetrate your air defences. Warfare is more complex than what you read in books. No country in Africa have that capacity for now.

Algerians are thinking about NATO while Egyptians are thinking of Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. Just tell us who Nigeria have in mind to waste billions on such expensive systems.

Poland wouldn't have accused france of supplying in with Rowland systems in 2014 if they were not effective, the Americans woundnt have lost a wonderful aircraft in Iraq if strela-7 wasn't effective and the British should have removed blowpipe from inventory if they were useless and obsolete.

YOU GUYS HAVE A PROBLEM SERIOUSLY.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 10:58am On Jun 18, 2018
Xbee007:

The one currently field by Nigeria is obsolete and most other operators have retired theirs for better systems.

Nigeria need to be proactive for once. We shouldn't wait till disaster strikes before we begin running helter-skelter.

When did you see inspect the air defense system in Nigerian army inventory?

You guys just come here to make noise without facts.

Tell me any country in Sub sahara Africa with the S-300 or any other long range air defence system. Its simply because the region is currently not ripe for such system.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:03am On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:

Dude you are totally outdated.

Blowpipe......... grin cheesy grin grin grin

The blowpipe during it days was a complete disaster during the Falkland war. Even blowpipe with the NA as been retired talk less of a british military. I can only verge for the effectiveness of the Russian SA-7 Grail manpads.

Because you don't have any military in the sub sahara with long range missile doesn't justify Nigeria not purchasing a long range missile system I it's class. That's a typical Nigerian thinking, we never learn.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 11:14am On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

Dude you are totally outdated.

Blowpipe......... grin cheesy grin grin grin

The blowpipe during it days was a complete disaster during the Falkland war. Even blowpipe with the NA as been retired talk less of a british military. I can only verge for the effectiveness of the Russian SA-7 Grail manpads.

Because you don't have any military in the sub sahara with long range missile doesn't justify Nigeria not purchasing a long range missile system I it's class. That's a typical Nigerian thinking, we never learn.

Military equipment are bought base on future assessment or threats. Tell us based on your future assessment/threat who Nigeria might likely need this for?

Am sure you won't mention any world power because it makes little or no difference.

You've not bought frigates or submarines you're looking for long range air defence systems worth billions of dollars. What a misplaced priority.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:33am On Jun 18, 2018
Xbee007:

Roland 1 entered service with the French Army in 1977, Roland 2 in 1981 and Roland 3 in 1988. Roland has been in service in France, Argentina, Brazil, Nigeria, Qatar, Spain and Venezuela. Over 650 systems and over 25,000 missiles have been ordered. French Army systems are mounted on vehicles based on the AMX-30 main battle tank.

Roland was in service with the German army, air force and navy. In February 2003 the Bundeswehr announced that the system would be phased out. France upgraded some of its system in 2010 and now they have been phased out barely less than 10 years.

I don't know if the British military operated Rowland system but for the British Blowpipes, they have been phased out and replaced by Starstreak Manpads.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 11:36am On Jun 18, 2018
abiodunalasa:

I seldom reply rude posts like this.
But it is important I let you know that People like you hardly go far in life. Because you assume you know everything.

Instead of you to ask "why" "how" "explain"... You didn't. You went ballistic.

News flash bro, this is Nigeria with limited resources, thus our military is invoking "Doctrine of Necessity" where possible. I guess now you will never find out what that is about.

Oh lest I forget, if you are the owner of that African Military Blog, damn! You need an expedient English Editor asap. Because the grammatical bomb shell on that blog is competing with a Nuclear war head.

In the mean time, I leave you to being ignorant of your own ignorance. Adios amigo wink smiley

Funny how instead of you to defend the rubbish you posted there you're focusing on a blog that doesn't concern you.

When someone asks a question instead of you to wait for more intelligent people to respond and if they make mistake you correct them..

Instead you want to feel as part of the conversation even it exhibits you stinking ignorance of anything.

The guy asked for what air defense assets Nigeria currently have, and as usual in you normal buffoonery routine you start calling gulma drone, communications satellites.
Now do you know the track record of the blowpipe?
How many aircraft did it successfully destroy as opposed to missiles firing?
Have you ever read the starts?
Do you know that during the Gulf war, NATO discovered Iraq air defense and disregarded the blowpipe and roland as any form of deterrence.

Do you even know the operating mechanism of the blowpipe, do you know what Manual command to line of sight (MCLOS) means? It means that an operator of the system has to constantly use a joystick like that of an xbox gamepad to control the blowpipe missile in flight against a maneuvering target.

Do you have any idea that the MCLOS guidance systems have a marginal accuracy on tank-sized targets not to talk of a small nimble air superiority aircraft . even with a perfect line-of-sight by the gunner due to erratic flight paths requiring timely manual corrections.
Have you checked the history of MCLOS SAMs especially Isreali experience during ots various combat with arab forces. Or you just post rubbish out of context?

So assuming French rafales are inbound who do you expect to be controlling missiles in the air in this age of aircraft super-maneoverbility and long-range loitering cruise missiles. Storm Shadow comes to mind.

Do you know it was replaced by the Javelin, which was in itself replaced by the very successful cutting-edge starstreak missile

Do you also know that after the British fired 95 missiles only a British Harrier GR3 (XZ972) an Argentine Aermacchi MB-339 (friendly fire) during the Battle of Goose Green was ever recorded destroyed.

Does Nigeria even have up to 95 missiles as of now?

Do you also know that the Nigerian Navy destroyed most of its obsolete missiles in 2009?

I like the way most of you are so deluded and still find it comfortable yo wallow in uselessness. I laugh all day for all the rubbish some of you put up here. Like do you even read some of them before posting..

After deluding yourself of being "patriotic" in a fvcking anonymous forum you start swallowing you own propaganda that till you dont know the difference between truth and falsehood.

You see me ask questions here all the time because nobody is omni-intelligent.
There are people that are allowed to insult others in this forum because at least they know what they are talking about. But your case is worst because all your post reeks of unadulterated stup1d1ty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:44am On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:

Military equipment are bought base on future assessment or threats. Tell us based on your future assessment/threat who Nigeria might likely need this for?

Am sure you won't mention any world power because it makes little or no difference.

You've not bought frigates or submarines you're looking for long range air defence systems worth billions of dollars. What a misplaced priority.

So our future threats assessment with Chad, Cameroon does not warrant us to have shot or long range missile system. 10 years no body ever thought Nigeria will be in the current Boko haram mess. Even when in the 80's we fought the Mohammed Marwa "Maitatsine", we never learnt.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 11:59am On Jun 18, 2018
abiodunalasa:

I seldom reply rude posts like this.
But it is important I let you know that People like you hardly go far in life. Because you assume you know everything.

Instead of you to ask "why" "how" "explain"... You didn't. You went ballistic.

News flash bro, this is Nigeria with limited resources, thus our military is invoking "Doctrine of Necessity" where possible. I guess now you will never find out what that is about.

Oh lest I forget, if you are the owner of that African Military Blog, damn! You need an expedient English Editor asap. Because the grammatical bomb shell on that blog is competing with a Nuclear war head.

In the mean time, I leave you to being ignorant of your own ignorance. Adios amigo wink smiley
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by barineh(m): 12:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
We can all agree our Air defense systems needs upgrading but the S300/s400 is an overkill based on our current threats which is primarily from land based forces/ insurgents . Besides why spend billion on air defense when the rest of our military is a joke. I'd rather we buy long range interceptors for the Air Force than spend billions on S400/300. We are not Egypt we don't have Sponsors like the Saudi's or The US.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 12:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

So our future threats assessment with Chad, Cameroon does not warrant us to have shot or long range missile system. 10 years no body ever thought Nigeria will be in the current Boko haram mess. Even when in the 80's we fought the Mohammed Marwa "Maitatsine", we never learnt.

Does Cameroon even have aircraft you want to Shoot down?

Alpha jets from Cameroon and su-25 from Chad is worth buying $700 million worth (per Unit) system to bring down?

India just signed a deal worth $5.5 billion for 5 S-400 system (an average of 1.1 billion each) because you are scared of alpha jet and Su-25.

Even with $1 billion the NAF would equip themselves to the extent that both countries won't even make any attempt.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 12:13pm On Jun 18, 2018
Let's be sincere with ourselves. Sghould Nigeria buy ADS now now instead of dealing with several other basic need?

Other military we admire have solve their basic military nneds before going for expensive military ADS.

Africa is just not ripe for S-300 or S-400.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
barineh:
We can all agree our Air defense systems needs upgrading but the S300/s400 is an overkill based on our current threats which is primarily from land based forces/ insurgents . Besides why spend billion on air defense when the rest of our military is a joke. I'd rather we buy long range interceptors for the Air Force than spend billions on S400/300. We are not Egypt we don't have Sponsors like the Saudi's or The US.

I quite agree with you.

An not saying we buy a s-300/400 air defense system, we can get get something close to it.

But you guys are forgetting our National security assets like oil installation, military Base etc.

Getting a capable defense system is more strategic than getting submarines, frigates etc.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:22pm On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:
Let's be sincere with ourselves. Sghould Nigeria buy ADS now now instead of dealing with several other basic need?

Other military we admire have solve their basic military nneds before going for expensive military ADS.

Africa is just not ripe for S-300 or S-400.

No one is saying we shouldn't go for our several basic needs, that's a must.

Has we plan our basic needs we have to plan for future strategic threats also, that's basic thinking of defence.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 12:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

Less than two years before the Boko Haram war started, I was watching Jack Bauer "24" with my siblings and I told them that "Thank God, those terrorist nonsense don't happen in Nigeria." We discussed how Nigeria may not have it all but at least we have peace. No fear of terrorists blowing you up when you go to mosque to pray. No worry over public gathering because they are prime target of terrorist. How short-sighted and naive we were!

Can we say that today?

Just because everything appear peaceful doesn't mean it is. Do we wait till sh*t hits the fan before we start begging countries to sell us weapons. Haven't we learn anything from our experience so far

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by jpphilips(m): 12:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

Our law makers are so wicked they all ride in bullet proofed luxurious cars but soldiers are given soft skinned Toyota hilux vehicles to face BHT.

it was a planned and coordinated attack, BHT ambushed the patrol vehicles and the soldiers returned a counter fire . They knew they wherr patrolling along that route and eventually they ran into the I.E.D. trap.

A colleague his still battling with the shock and minor injuries from the attack.

Asides the crazy idea of using soft skin at such threat level, how about drone cover during patrols, to scan ahead AOR?

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
Meanwhile COIN in central north

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2018
lionel4power:

There are people that are allowed to insult others in this forum . because at least they know what they are talking about. But your case is worst because all your post reeks of unadulterated stup1d1ty.

Don't have time for ur long epistle... because they are non-grata in this discuss.

So like I advised you earlier brother, rather than concerning yourself with childish stuffs like who have right to insult people on this thread you should instead be more concerned about correcting those grammatical bombshells on your blog that even elementary kids will not make grin grin

An example of those bombshells on your blog is here

"Top 10 Most Best" grin grin grin

Juliet my little niece in elementary school wont write that junk grammar

Lastly, No hard feelings bro... Just want you to get better at what you do by majoring in major things, and minoring in minor things.
Peace out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
Xbee007:
Thank you all.

Air Defence Systems are multi-layer. An S-300 ADS will be useless for a Nigerian based environment.

In fact for the S-300 to be truly effective, you need a potent medium range ADS like the Pantsir deployed in tandem with the S-300 system.

Yes, we have no potent ADS, but ADS does not compromise of long range systems alone. From AAA to Short range, down to Medium and the Long range systems as well as your frontline fighter jets, all these comprise the Air Defence Structure of any country.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 18, 2018
Xbee007:

Less than two years before the Boko Haram war started, I was watching Jack Bauer "24" with my siblings and I told them that "Thank God, those terrorist nonsense don't happen in Nigeria." We discussed how Nigeria may not have it all but at least we have peace. No fear of terrorists blowing you up when you go to mosque to pray. No worry over public gathering because they are prime target of terrorist. How short-sighted and naive we were!

Can we say that today?

Just because everything appear peaceful doesn't mean it is. Do we wait till sh*t hits the fan before we start begging countries to sell us weapons. Haven't we learn anything from our experience so far
Wars don't just break out of the blue between countries. There's nothing naive about that also. You invest in what you need, mores especially in times when you don't have the luxury of funds.

There are countries with no armies, are they also naive?

Terrorist attacks, how has the US dealt with the Taliban and Alqeada 15 years on?

The most suitable ADS we need now is a potent modern multi-role fighter jet.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

I disagree, there was the handwriting on the wall but the Junta refused to maintain a strong army so as to protect regimes.

Realistically, no future threat assessment with the countries you listed ever warrants an s-300. We need a serious air defence network & not toys here & there
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

I quite agree with you.

An not saying we buy a s-300/400 air defense system, we can get get something close to it.

But you guys are forgetting our National security assets like oil installation, military Base etc.

Getting a capable defense system is more strategic than getting submarines, frigates etc.
You forget a frigate's SAM & Radars is still part of an AD network

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2018
Odunayaw:
You forget a frigate's SAM & Radars is still part of an AD network

Yeye......

Which frigate... grin grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by barineh(m): 1:42pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

I quite agree with you.

I totally agree with you.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 1:57pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

Yeye......

Which frigate... grin grin grin
Which one is yeye undecided
we have examples in the FREMM,De Zeven Provinciën class frigates

Oya, quickly go educate yourself on the matter

(1) (2) (3) ... (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) ... (2202) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.