Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (569) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3035797 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (566) (567) (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 9:40pm On Jun 18, 2018
Boko Haram terrorists observing Eid prayers in Sambisa forest.

A 500kg bomb would have done miracle.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 18, 2018
NIGERIAN AIR FORCE DEPLOYS COMBAT HELICOPTER TO GUSAU

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has today, 18 June 2018, deployed a combat helicopter to its 207 Quick Response Group (QRG) in Gusau. The deployment of the weaponized EC-135 helicopter is part of efforts aimed at intensifying the fight against armed banditry in Zamfara State and environs. The helicopter will operate from the recently constructed helipads at 207 QRG Gusau thereby enhancing overall operational effectiveness. Accordingly, the NAF will be better positioned to provide the needed air support to the additional surface forces just deployed by the Defence Headquarters to tackle the security challenges in the State. Other NAF air assets, however, remain available on nearby alternate airfields to add impetus to air operations in the State as might be necessary.

In a related development, the Air Officer Commanding Special Operations Command of the NAF, Air Vice Marshal Ismaila Kaita, also undertook an operational visit to the Unit today to obtain firsthand information on the situation and address any possible challenges. The visit revealed that the morale of the deployed NAF Special Forces is high and they are in a state of high alert.

While thanking you for your usual cooperation, you are please requested to disseminate the foregoing for the awareness of the general public.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 9:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

Yeah it’s a substantial facility for now but everything looks so temporary. Lake chad is a very strategic body of water that has social, economic, environmental and strategic impact in the region.

The navy should get serious and hunker down, build a proper base that can accommodate at least 2000 men and several riverine boats. The army amphibious units should also have a larger presence in that region.

I guess it all depends on money made available and the directive from mr president.

At the end of the video I saw some construction work being done, I’m waiting for channels tv to release their video on the visit.
What you probably saw was minor dredging work and
Also construction of a Jetty.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 18, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

Most annoying part is they are all bashing bidexiii, accusing him of advocating for a new air defense system, meanwhile he was just answering your initial question.

“Does Nigeria field any system with air defense capabilities”
Bidexiii answered: no they’re all obselete and everyone went balaistic, please where is the lie in that statement, when was the last time our Roland Missiles ( which haven’t received any upgrades since inception) were involved in any kind of life fire exercise ??

Throwing around “requirements, risks assesment and priorities” like they know anything...

In the early 2000’s the findings/results of a risk assesment carried out showed that the next biggest threat to our national stability was an insurgency, was anything done about it?

Nobody bashed Bidexii for advocating for a new Air Defense System. In fact everybody agrees Nigeria's Air Defence needs a total overhaul.

What is wrong was to give a "No" answer to the question of whether Nigeria has a functioning Air Defense system. Yes, we have an Air Defense System irrespective of the state it's in.

Didn't an obsolete Syrian Air Defense SAM shoot down an advanced Israeli F-16I fighter jet over Israel?

Have we not seen videos of manpads shooting down SU-25s and Attack Helicopters over Syria?

Haven't AAA's targeted and in a few instances hit/or shot down Syrian fighter jets? The L-39 of the SAAF was shot down with AAAs?

So, how exactly is Bidexii's comment correct that Nigeria does not have an Air Defense System?

You throw around requirements and risks because you don't chop off your hand because your finger has an injury. It is the educated thing to do, not an emotional rant.

As a result of that threat assessment in the late 90's and early 2000's, attack helicopters were purchased. This was because the top brass found out due to the unavailablity of attack helicopters in Liberia, our air campaigns had serious shortcomings. As a result in a LICW environment which we would find ourselves we cannot perform optimally without AH's.

Providing fact based assessments is not a crime. Jeez!!
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
jln115:

Why though?? twin engine heavy fighters are expensive to maintain, and it's not like your defence budget would allow for 24 Mig35s.

18-24 JF17s or J10
14-18 Yak130s

plus

12 Mi35m(which NAF is recieving)

maybe adding another ATR42 for Maritime patrol

and upgrading your current c130 fleet(which seems is happening now) maybe adding(also possibly happening) another two to service(Im only aware of 3 currently in service with NAF 913,917 and 918).

As for the Navy

I agree, no need for a Sub for now, 2-4 Type 054 frigates to complement the 2 P18Ns.

I believe the Nigerian Defence budget would allow for a purchase of 24 MIG-35s. As we have seen on countless occasions, funds for procurement generally differ in many cases to funds available in the defence budget.

I would prefer the MIG-35 because it gives Nigeria the capability to do more. Going for a 4th generation aircraft in 2018 doesn't seem like a wise purchase to me.

Instead we should rather go for the best aircraft we can afford.

A JF-17, although capable is running against time, except if we are looking at the block 3 version.

Yak 130 when we are getting 12 Super Tucanos is another waste of money.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 18, 2018
Henry240:

Nobody bashed Bidexii for advocating for a new Air Defense System. In fact everybody agrees Nigeria's Air Defence needs a total overhaul.

What is wrong was to give a "No" answer to the question of whether Nigeria has a functioning Air Defense system. Yes, we have an Air Defense System irrespective of the state it's in.

Didn't an obsolete Syrian Air Defense SAM shoot down an advanced Israeli F-16I fighter jet over Israel?
How many Russian technicians reside in Syria at every given time, can you compare the relation between Syria and russia with the relationship we have with our partners that delivered the Roland SAMs more than 25 years ago?

those obselte Syrian SAMs have received several upgrades over the years

Henry240:
Have we not seen videos of manpads shooting down SU-25s and Attack Helicopters over Syria?

you can provide proof that we field manpads, cause i have never seen any news on procurement or training of personnel on those.

Haven't AAA's targeted and in a few instances hit/or shot down Syrian fighter jets? The L-39 of the SAAF was shot down with AAAs?

So, how exactly is Bidexii's comment correct that Nigeria does not have an Air Defense System?

You throw around requirements and risks because you don't chop off your hand because your finger has an injury. It is the educated thing to do, not an emotional rant.

As a result of that threat assessment in the late 90's and early 2000's, attack helicopters were purchased. This was because the top brass found out due to the unavailablity of attack helicopters in Liberia, our air campaigns had serious shortcomings. As a result in a LICW environment which we would find ourselves we cannot perform optimally without AH's.

Providing fact based assessments is not a crime. Jeez!! [/quote]

If you truly believe in your heart of heart that Nigeria has a suitable air defence system that can challenege any conventional then no point arguing.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 18, 2018
Henry240:

How many Russian technicians reside in Syria at every given time, can you compare the relation between Syria and russia with the relationship we have with our partners that delivered the Roland SAMs more than 25 years ago?

Henry240:

you can provide proof that we field manpads, cause i have never seen any news on procurement or training of personnel on those.

Henry240:

If you truly believe in your heart of heart that Nigeria has a suitable air defence system that can challenege any conventional then no point arguing.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 18, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

What i believe in my heart is irrelevant. What are the facts on the ground?

The fact is this, do they exist = yes, are they sh*t = yes.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 10:59pm On Jun 18, 2018
bidexiii:

grin grin grin grin

For heaven sake I never said we should go for s300/400. Check out all my statements, how many times do I have to say these.

We can go for something close "medium range missile", that is what a standard army should have.

even if we go for S300/400 WOT the hell is wrong with that.

my only problem with those systems is Russia giving out the source code.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 11:02pm On Jun 18, 2018
Henry240:

What is obsolete to the US, used C-130s, Decommissioned ships Cutter class and Frigates, AH-1W Cobra AH, MRAPs doesn't translate to obsolete to 80% of countries on earth.

The Rowland might be obsolete against frontline fighters like 4th generation aircrafts, but not against Alpha jets and old SU-25s.
pls chad and Cameroon both have MIG29 and the south African cheetahs respectively.
so u may reconsider
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by barineh(m): 11:27pm On Jun 18, 2018
giles14:
pls chad and Cameroon both have MIG29 and the south African cheetahs respectively.
so u may reconsider

Cameroon does not have the mig 29 only Chad does and they have ONLY 3. South African cheetahs have been retired since and replaced w/ the gripen. The s300/400 is an over kill. We need something like the Buk system. I'd prefer we spend more money on Capable air superiority fighters like Mig35 or su35.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 18, 2018
Henry240:

I believe the Nigerian Defence budget would allow for a purchase of 24 MIG-35s. As we have seen on countless occasions, funds for procurement generally differ in many cases to funds available in the defence budget.

I would prefer the MIG-35 because it gives Nigeria the capability to do more. Going for a 4th generation aircraft in 2018 doesn't seem like a wise purchase to me.

Instead we should rather go for the best aircraft we can afford.

A JF-17, although capable is running against time, except if we are looking at the block 3 version.

Yak 130 when we are getting 12 Super Tucanos is another waste of money.
I'm not talking about procurement, which i agree differs from normal defence budget.....our own arms deal is a great example.

However Im specifically talking about maintenance, flight cost per hour of a mig35 will literally be double(maybe even more)then say a JF17 or J-10.

Well with your current defence budget NAF can't afford Mig 35s......if the defence budget was raised to let say 1.5-2% of GDP then 26+ Mig35s would certainly be affordable.

Maybe looking at the J-10...would be a better option than the JF17?

Yaks are replacement for your aging Alpha and L-39 fleet......the primary role would be LIFT and secondary role light attack, don't see why they can't supplement your Tucano?

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 11:42pm On Jun 18, 2018
barineh:

Cameroon does not have the mig 29 only Chad does and they have ONLY 3. South African cheetahs have been retired since and replaced w/ the gripen. The s300/400 is an over kill. We need something like the Buk system. I'd prefer we spend more money on Capable air superiority fighters like Mig35 or su35.
but you know the SU35 would be a maintenance headache.

the MiG35 would be great ,even the S350 would/should be considered
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by barineh(m): 11:57pm On Jun 18, 2018
giles14:
but you know the SU35 would be a maintenance headache.

the MiG35 would be great ,even the S350 would/should be considered

All Russian planes are head aches. Ask India. And Nigeria's maintenance history isn't glorious. But they're still the best choice for us.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:32am On Jun 19, 2018
Xbee007:

Honestly.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:37am On Jun 19, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

trust Brenda to do a better job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-BqLBgecU

Nice job Brenda Iju.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:52am On Jun 19, 2018
Henry240:

Dude stop displaying your ignorance.

The guy asked did NA has any air defense system capabilities; And am still telling NA as zero air defense capabilities.

And stop calling Syrian air defense capabilities obsolete; over years Syrian has been in war and has one of the most sophisticated Soviet-designed air defense systems outside the former Eastern Bloc countries. However, it does not include the most advanced air sensor systems developed by the Soviets.

Syria has one of the most robust SAM networks, The Air Defense Command, which operates under the command of the air force, operates longer-range surface-to-air missiles such as the Almaz Volga-M (SA-2), S-125 Neva (SA-3) and Antey S-200 (SA-5). Not forgetting

For country fighting a civil war I'll say they are not doing bad.

Dude sitting examples of AAGs or manpads shots down a fighter jet; does not justify or conclude our AAG in Kachia, Kadu amounts to a capable air defense system.

There are no fact based assessments in your arguments. The NA as zero AD capabilities.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:55am On Jun 19, 2018
#NAF

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:56am On Jun 19, 2018
#NA

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 19, 2018
Nigerian navy ships..

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 19, 2018
More
Centenary and her sister ship unity.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:18am On Jun 19, 2018
Onboard..

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 19, 2018
bidexiii:

Dude stop displaying your ignorance.

The guy asked did NA has any air defense system capabilities; And am still telling NA as zero air defense capabilities.

And stop calling Syrian air defense capabilities obsolete; over years Syrian has been in war and has one of the most sophisticated Soviet-designed air defense systems outside the former Eastern Bloc countries. capabilities.

Do you understand english at all this guy? undecided undecided

I mentioned specific systems in my post.

Anyway there's no point going back and forth with you.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:54am On Jun 19, 2018
Henry240:

Do you understand english at all this guy? undecided undecided

I mentioned specific systems in my post.

Anyway there's no point going back and forth with you.

You are the one who seems not to understand simple English.

Does NA as AD capabilities, you said YES mentioning unserviceable & obsolete Rowland missile.

Now you further went calling Syrian AD obsolete.

His it the English you don't understand or it simply your ignorance undecided
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 7:18am On Jun 19, 2018
barineh:

All Russian planes are head aches. Ask India. And Nigeria's maintenance history isn't glorious. But they're still the best choice for us.
but Indian are not the only nation operating Russian hardware.
for me Indians complains about Russian systems as an excuse to switch to the Americans.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:34am On Jun 19, 2018
Britain has warned of possible attacks on its territory by battle-hardened extremists sneaked into Nigeria from Syria by leaders Islamic State.

https://guardian.ng/news/isis-sneaking-jihadists-into-nigeria-from-syria-says-report/amp/
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:46am On Jun 19, 2018
Marshal Hiftar visits Omar Moktar operation room Sunday morning , met with commanders and checked final arrangements to liberate the city of #Derna #Libya

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:54am On Jun 19, 2018
Xbee007:

VIDEO FLASH: A video released by the Abubakar Shekau led group shows hundreds of fighters and villagers praying in an open field, apparently between the Nigerian-Cameroon border.

https://twitter.com/SaharaReporters/status/1008706149242294273

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:00am On Jun 19, 2018
Photos For the Joint drills conducted between #Spanish navy Helicopter Carrier Juan Carlos LHD & Blas de Lezo Frigate with #Egyptian Navy Mistral LHD & Al-Fateh #971 #Gowind-2500 corvette & other Egyptian Navy vessels .

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:11am On Jun 19, 2018
Watch moment Nigerian Air Force regiments honoured Wing Commander John Rees of RAF Reg following training course. Brilliant scenes in Kaduna

https://twitter.com/DavidWilletts3/status/1008612033821118466
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 9:06am On Jun 19, 2018
Xbee007:

I would've preferred NAPALM........just to replicate their final resting place...in hell.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 9:06am On Jun 19, 2018
Xbee007:
Please, does Nigeria field any system with air defence capability?

bidexiii:

Nop

Henry240:

Air Defence Systems are multi-layer. An S-300 ADS will be useless for a Nigerian based environment.

In fact for the S-300 to be truly effective, you need a potent medium range ADS like the Pantsir deployed in tandem with the S-300 system.

Yes, we have no potent ADS, but ADS does not compromise of long range systems alone. From AAA to Short range, down to Medium and the Long range systems as well as your frontline fighter jets, all these comprise the Air Defence Structure of any country.

I actually planned to bring an end to this argument and not to escalate the issue.

The guy asked if Nigeria have any ADS.

It is important for us to know Army, Navy and Air Force all have their way of protecting airspace.

ARMY uses AAG, MANPADS, SRSAM, MRSAM, LRSAM, etc.

NAVY uses CIWS, VLS (with some frigate carry up to 32 cells),etc

AIR FORCE using RADAR, EW, INTERCEPTORS, AIR SUPERIORITY FIGHTER JETS, etc to intercept or destroy the target before achieving their aim.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, IT IS THE AIR FORCE'S PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT THE NIGERIAN AIR SPACE.
So we need to solve the problem of the those with the primary responsibility first before the secondary. Air force's Radar detect target long before they enter the country or even before the ADS detect any target.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (566) (567) (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.