Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,751 members, 7,844,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (605) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3056000 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (602) (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) ... (2202) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 1:30am On Jul 18, 2018
The base was not manned by special operation troops tho it housed some of them. The unit was immediately tasked with suppressing enemy fire till backup came in from AFSF and the NAF.

This is not about being heavily armed. Of what use is having T72 and IFV in a base and you have no situation awareness around? BHT fire as spread out meaning they launched attack with weapons having range between 5-10KM landing on various hardware.

The Nigerian border is extremely weak and porous so stopping Boko Haram will have to take another offensive dimension. There are plans to place new strategy which will further diminish the terrorist and give the military an offensive advantage instead of defensive even when being attacked by Boko Haram.

Since you can't have eyes from the sky 24/7? What else do you think you can do?

I will leave you to guess. The only pain here is that the capability development will take a minimum of 5 months to be inducted.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by doziex: 7:03am On Jul 18, 2018
Yeah bro 1st I think you are mixing the narrative of the 2 different attacks.

The ambush around bama area as described by the theater commander began as a search and destroy operation till their heavier vehicles got bugged down in mud then bht like the hyenas they are gathered to take advantage of the stuck apcs and possibly tanks.
Thanks to the NAF and the suppressive fire by the AFSF, some of the vehicles have been recovered. It wasn't the 23 man missing story that was initially broadcast around the world.

NA must invest in several transport helicopters such as the mi-17 to perform a vertical envelopment of their target not the horizontal envelope net that was attempted in this case
Which are prone to get bogged down by the environment and/or enemy ambush.

Helicopter mobile assault the way to maneuver about the battle space, especially in the rainy season.

In the second story I am hearing that the base fell for a ruse as bht tricked them into thinking they were NA troops approaching, then opened fire at the gate.
If so, this is not a failure of situational awareness, as they were aware of the approach , but a colossal failure of intelligence
They should be sure of all own troop movements about the battle space.
Here I am hearing that things were not as bad as first reported.

Let's all hope NA's version of the store holds up
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 7:19am On Jul 18, 2018
doziex:
Yeah bro 1st I think you are mixing the narrative of the 2 different attacks.

The ambush around bama area as described by the theater commander began as a search and destroy operation till their heavier vehicles got bugged down in mud then bht like the hyenas they are gathered to take advantage of the stuck apcs and possibly tanks.
Thanks to the NAF and the suppressive fire by the AFSF, some of the vehicles have been recovered. It wasn't the 23 man missing story that was initially broadcast around the world.

NA must invest in several transport helicopters such as the mi-17 to perform a vertical envelopment of their target not the horizontal envelope net that was attempted in this case

Helicopter mobile assault the way to maneuver about the battle space, especially in the rainy season.

In the second story I am hearing that the base fell for a ruse as bht tricked them into thinking they were NA troops approaching, then opened fire at the gate.
If so, this is not a failure of situational awareness, as they were aware of the approach , but a colossal failure of intelligence

Good intelligence is at the heart of such preparation, as well as political and social understanding of any grievances that might be solved.

Saying they tricked them into believing they're approaching NA men Is one thing also has to do with lack of situational awareness. Standard should be upheld if the military would want to win this war.

Make a post 2-3km away from the military entrance where all incoming and outgoing vehicles are being screened. I have seen couple of vehicles rolling in and out of our barracks without these steps.

It doesn't matter if the vehicle and soldiers inside frequent the barrack. They should all be screened. Moreover, there's no way BHT would have gotten on the military radio channel to disturb the military.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:32am On Jul 18, 2018
SternProphet:

There is no money for all these, although I think we need minimum $5bn capex for defence & security per annum for the next three years. The answer is to retool NSCDC into a more potent static force able to hold ground while the NA and NAF hunt and kill Boko Haram. NA does not have manpower to do both. We need up to 50 choppers but they dont have to be MI 24s. Armed LUHs dispersed at NAF FOBS being constructed are enough. Those LUHs are brand new and cheap unlike used MI 24s that will give maintenance issues. The Super Tucanoes, I see Nigeria buying up to 60 units by 2022.
You better get yourself concave & convex lenses to help your "seeing". 60 ko 360 ni grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:38am On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:
The base was not manned by special operation troops tho it housed some of them. The unit was immediately tasked with suppressing enemy fire till backup came in from AFSF and the NAF.

This is not about being heavily armed. Of what use is having T72 and IFV in a base and you have no situation awareness around? BHT fire as spread out meaning they launched attack with weapons having range between 5-10KM landing on various hardware.

The Nigerian border is extremely weak and porous so stopping Boko Haram will have to take another offensive dimension. There are plans to place new strategy which will further diminish the terrorist and give the military an offensive advantage instead of defensive even when being attacked by Boko Haram.

I will leave you to guess. The only pain here is that the capability development will take a minimum of 5 months to be inducted.
What of tethered "balloons" with EO sights, that's one way of ensuring eyes over a base.

I think Nemesis has scripted something about base defence, if he can think it our officers should be able to but every one is behaving paraplegic
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 7:57am On Jul 18, 2018
Odunayaw:
What of tethered "balloons" with EO sights, that's one way of ensuring eyes over a base.

I think Nemesis has scripted something about base defence, if he can think it our officers should be able to but every one is behaving paraplegic

1) Not for a country like Nigeria. Except you're waiting for a donation, it won't be employed.
2) This same technology will be expensive to be maintained by the military as there are many places where eyes are being needed so this alone won't work.

If you've studied the military well, you'll observe some basic missing capabilities and wonder why has the military not being in possession of it.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:56am On Jul 18, 2018
doziex:

totally agree! Some advance to contact are just so extremely dangerous if horizontal envelopment are used.

Asides that it stings thinking the AFSF is being used like line infantry, why not prepare probably 2-3 platoons always on standby as back up in case shitt tumbles..the men of the AFSF are too precious & few to be used this way
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 18, 2018
Odunayaw:

Another low cost option to tethered airships is tethered UAV wink

Very cheap and easy to maintain comes with its own mobile ground station to which it is tethered and another vehicle which contains the power generators.

< 15 minutes to pack up and relocate or re setup
Can use solar panels to save fuel too
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:59am On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

1) Not for a country like Nigeria. Except you're waiting for a donation, it won't be employed.
2) This same technology will be expensive to be maintained by the military as there are many places where eyes are being needed so this alone won't work.

If you've studied the military well, you'll observe some basic missing capabilities and wonder why has the military not being in possession of it.
Not for us how?

the tech is low cost, do a little research. The other "places"? within or without

Yes,true there are missing capabilities & its mind boggling
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:59am On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

Another low cost option to tethered airships is tethered UAV wink

Very cheap and easy to maintain comes with its own mobile ground station to which it is tethered and another vehicle which contains the power generators.

< 15 minutes to pack up and relocate or re setup
Can use solar panels to save fuel too
Tethered UAV?
I will check that up
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 18, 2018
Odunayaw:
Tethered UAV?
I will check that up
Search in my thread I posted about it
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2018
Odunayaw:
Not for us how?

the tech is low cost, do a little research. The other "places"? within or without

Yes,true there are missing capabilities & its mind boggling
It's a low cost technology but application is expensive.

Not only about surveillance but onboard sensors. @nemesis, tethered UAV is being used already.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

It's a low cost technology but application is expensive.

Not only about surveillance but onboard sensors. @nemesis, tethered UAV is being used already.

Where ?

And who said application is expensive ?

It is a wrong assertion

One system based on its capability will cover the whole base out to a considerable distance. They also have auto trackers , no chance of loosing targets in the fog of war

Tdayof should have gone for it . It was easily marketable.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 10:13am On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

Where ?

It is a wrong assertion

On the expensive application, I was referring to the tethered balloon / blimp.

On the tethered UAV, it's been used in the northeast. DJI is platform being used.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 10:25am On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

Where ?

It is a wrong assertion

One system based on its capability will cover the whole base out to a considerable distance. They also have auto trackers , no chance of loosing targets in the fog of war

Tdayof should have gone for it . It was easily marketable.

I once discuseed this with him and he insist on funds to cover aerospace projects. He once linked the current capabilities to be below par. Being in the military my self, AF. I agree with him.
Some capabilities being pitched to the military are actually working but same amount could have been dedicated for a more strategic capability on similar / same platform.

Our last discussion is that he has something for the military and will be discussing with them personally.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

On the expensive application, I was referring to the tethered balloon / blimp.

On the tethered UAV, it's been used in the northeast. DJI is platform being used.

Seriously DJI ?

We too use DJI drones but as expendables on the LOC , no point in wasting the expensive and capable ones.
And since enemy uses the same ones we use the same to sneak in close for some close ups undetected. And if they shoot it down they can keep it.

For VPA / base surveillance u need to go for capable drones. DJI r commercial drones after all without military grade capabilities.

And really I am flabbergasted
for dead zone surveillance DJI drones r ok
But base defence ( even by tethered DJI drones ) I am not so sure.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

I once discuseed this with him and he insist on funds to cover aerospace projects. He once linked the current capabilities to be below par. Being in the military my self, AF. I agree with him.
Some capabilities being pitched to the military are actually working but same amount could have been dedicated for a more strategic capability on similar / same platform.

Our last discussion is that he has something for the military and will be discussing with them personally.

He obviously needs the funds , without support it is difficult to sustain development.

One of our startup companies development of near space stratospheric drones with non stop endurance > 3 months got stuck becz they ran out of money.

No money no development , risk sharing is important for capability build up
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 11:42am On Jul 18, 2018
BTW, where is Tdayof

@allexpensive, do you really understand what a tethered drone is? cos I have never seen any with Nigerian Army before.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 12:02pm On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

Seriously DJI ?

They come tethered ? I don't think so ( maybe I am wrong here correct me )

We too use DJI drones but as expendables on the LOC , no point in wasting the expensive and capable ones.
And since enemy uses the same ones we use the same to sneak in close for some close ups undetected. And if they shoot it down they can keep it.

For VPA / base surveillance u need to go for capable drones. DJI r commercial drones after all without military grade capabilities.

And really I am flabbergasted
for dead zone surveillance DJI drones r ok
But base defence I am not so sure.
Xbee007

No, they did not come tethered. It was all bought and configured for the mentioned capability by the company incharge of the project.

My point exactly is that some of these things we're getting from the so called foreign manufacturers lack the advance technology. Imagine pitching a tethered UAV to the military only to come around with the basic capability on DJI for us to use.

We actually have operational improvements but we need something better. Foreign manufacturers are cutting down capabilities being brought to us and this is why the CAS is keen on R&grin.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 12:05pm On Jul 18, 2018
Xbee007:
BTW, where is Tdayof

@allexpensive, do you really understand what a tethered drone is? cos I have never seen any with Nigerian Army before.
Spoke to him few weeks ago. Working on a security clearance to bring in some device the company worked on.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

Xbee007

No, they did not come tethered. It was all bought and configured for the mentioned capability by the company incharge of the project.

My point exactly is that some of these things we're getting from the so called foreign manufacturers lack the advance technology. Imagine pitching a tethered UAV to the military only to come around with the basic capability on DJI for us to use.

We actually have operational improvements but we need something better. Foreign manufacturers are cutting down capabilities being brought to us and this is why the CAS is keen on R&grin.

No offence , do u guys issue tenders / conduct competitive bidding ?

The problem lies there IMO and I will leave at that.

This pics below is of a tethered mil grade drone

In a tethered drone prima facie the main factor is the capability of the EO pod.

Also off topic recently where I am the impetus by the new companies is now on replacing mast mounted radars and optical sensors on vehicles with tethered UAV mounted radars and optical sensors on vehicles.

To cut down deployment/ pack up time , increase efficiency , decrease manpower , increase performance , increase survivability etc etc

In the future tethered drones will replace almost all mast mounted systems.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

In a tethered drone prima facie the main factor is the capability of the EO pod.

Also off topic recently where I am the impetus by the new companies is now on replacing mast mounted radars and optical sensors on vehicles with tethered UAV mounted radars and optical sensors on vehicles.

To cut down deployment/ pack up time , increase efficiency , decrease manpower , increase performance , increase survivability etc etc

Yeah, Nigeria law stipulates that organisation should bid for contracts before the contract is awarded.

I think the problem lies with Nigerian Army not requesting for the right equipment.

A tethered drone with solar panel power pack would have been ideal for Nigerian bases.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 1:51pm On Jul 18, 2018
nemesis8u:

No idea on the procurement details.

Tactics keeps changing everytime so the technology needs to be able to evolve with threat everytime. This is what we're lacking.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]
allexpensive:

Am not sure and authoritative...but I think scout snipers would do well to inform the base of any imminent threat if placed 10km away from the base.... The scout snipers won't be noticed since they won't be engaging the enemy... Just saying
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SternProphet: 5:37pm On Jul 18, 2018
Field0Marshall:
[color=#006600][/color]

Am not sure and authoritative...but I think scout snipers would do well to inform the base of any imminent threat if placed 10km away from the base.... The scout snipers won't be noticed since they won't be engaging the enemy... Just saying

This attack was a simple case of carelessness and some internal sabotage. I think there is merit in the tethered drones concept but you still need young corporals and sargeants manning some consoles. That human reliability thing about staying awake is the issue.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
SternProphet:

This attack was a simple case of carelessness and some internal sabotage. I think there is merit in the tethered drones concept but you still need young corporals and sargeants manning some consoles. That human reliability thing about staying awake is the issue.

Rotational shift
It is a common thing.
Plus depending on the sophistication of the system the system can be put into automatic mode where the system running advance algorithms utilizes the sensor feed to detect discriminate and identify targets and depending on the alert settings can alert the operators via audio or visual alarms at the preconfigured alert levels.

Anyways how do u think ATCs in Nigeria is being handled 24 hrs everyday ? grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 6:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
Field0Marshall:
[color=#006600][/color]

Scout sniper won't do much around the military barrack. Terrain and others matter.
As sternprophet as mentioned, sabotage is something too.

Reading nemesis last response on this thread, it's similar to the capability to be employed soon. I would not want to disclose too much. Boss man got we military personnel on watch. The use of social media by troops here in NE is being controlled not to release too much information.

Dishing the capability out will also give me away. I can assure you that you'll find hint on media soon.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

Scout sniper won't do much around the military barrack. Terrain and others matter.

Reading nemesis last response on this thread, it's similar to the capability to be employed soon. I would not want to disclose too much. Boss man got we military personnel on watch. The use of social media by troops here in NE is being controlled not to release too much information.

Dishing the capability out will also give me away. I can assure you that you'll find hint on media soon.
bro
Drop am as e dey hot angry this is a faceless forum and no one is tracking ur ip
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by xmileeasy: 7:12pm On Jul 18, 2018
krattoss:
bro
Drop am as e dey hot angry this is a faceless forum and no one is tracking ur ip

Alakoba... You want to put him and his colleagues in trouble abi

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
allexpensive:

Boss no vex abeg... Do you have any clue concerning recruitment this year for officer cadre? Its 2years now and nothing seems to be happening in that direction. I hold the notion that the army is grossly short of manpower, if algeria with a population less than half of ours has a strength of over a million soldiers I wonder why that of Nigeria is different putting into cognisance our treacherous landmass. Some of us can't wait to join the party in the NE.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2018
krattoss:
bro

grin grin grin lol

What will you do with the info assuming he did what you wanted?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 18, 2018
iblawi:

grin grin grin lol

What will you do with the info assuming he did what you wanted?
ever heard this statement... if u know u know?

(1) (2) (3) ... (602) (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) ... (2202) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Dstealth and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.