Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,461 members, 7,830,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (607) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3041632 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) (610) ... (2202) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:43am On Jul 19, 2018
Uganda UPDAF Fleet of Bell UH-1H Huey II multimission, medium-lift helicopters

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:00am On Jul 19, 2018
#NA MBT

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:22am On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

It's not the military or president's fault.

We have the funds but then maybe politicians are being intimidated by military capability. A complete threat assessment for the nation should be done and an executive order should be signed by the president to release funding for the military.
In my opinion its their FAULT. (DHQ, MOD& the President)

How about conducting a quintennial Strategic Defence/Security review for the NASS to see
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:49am On Jul 19, 2018
Odunayaw:
In my opinion its their FAULT. (DHQ, MOD& the President)

How about conducting a quintennial Strategic Defence/Security review for the NASS to see

Hmmm...... that's a great idea, if they wouldn't play politics with it. I mean if they see the security threats at stake.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:53am On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:

Hmmm...... that's a great idea, if they wouldn't play politics with it. I mean if they see the security threats at stake.

If they try to play politics, the MOD can use the media to strong arm/demonize/blackmail them into doing the right thing. We are not helpless at all, these guys are just doing too little
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 12:04pm On Jul 19, 2018
Odunayaw:
If they try to play politics, the MOD can use the media to strong arm/demonize/blackmail them into doing the right thing. We are not helpless at all, these guys are just doing too little

Take a look at the Tucson. With the deadline, they were not ready to release funds.

The United States congress is very passionate about their nation's military capability. Why it's different here is what I have no idea about .
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:19pm On Jul 19, 2018
Odunayaw:

True bro.... cool
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:21pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

Take a look at the Tucson. With the deadline, they were not ready to release funds.

The United States congress is very passionate about their nation's military capability. Why it's different here is what I have no idea about .

2020 is a very long year bro; men are dying.

Why can't we have the 1st 3 batch of the jf17 at least.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:55pm On Jul 19, 2018
Smile for the camera! Soldiers from U.S. Army 10th Mountain Division and the Ghana Armed Forces pose for a group photo during #UA18

U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) #MeetYourArmy #KnowYourMil #Partnerships

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 1:23pm On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:

Why not pick up some upgraded mig-29 which will have similar maintenance facility with the jf-17. The Mig 29 uses same engine with the JF-17 so we should be able to pick up used and upgraded one within 6-9 months time frame.

Sensors matters alot in the fight against terrorism. Delivering accurate fire power on BHT would have done well. Apart from having joint naval drill with bigger countries, we need to have an Air Force drill where we can make the north east a test bed.

The last time, a Portuguese P-3 Orion and our NAF performed a reconnaissance during a pirate attack .

The exercise, I would have suggested to be between MNJTF but the Chadians Migs are not in good condition. I think one of the reasons DHQ doesn't consider them as a threat . The problem here is that if serious, they can put them back to life very fast.

A MNJTF air campaign comprising of ISR and follow on attack on BHT strong positions should be identified and hit. We're doing good presently but with our current capability, intense offensive will find our aircrafts being sent for reactivation AND maintenance extremely fast.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:34pm On Jul 19, 2018
In the last month there have been four high profile incidents in which policemen have been murdered, and their weapons removed.

As a result of the ongoing #BokoHaram insurgency, the data that makes up this infograph excludes killings in the North-East geopolitical zone.

This data covers the period from January 1, 2018 to July 16, 2018.

In total in the states covered in that period, 78 members of @PoliceNG have been killed, and their weapons, removed.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:
In the last month there have been four high profile incidents in which policemen have been murdered, and their weapons removed.

As a result of the ongoing #BokoHaram insurgency, the data that makes up this infograph excludes killings in the North-East geopolitical zone.

In total in the states covered in that period, 78 members of @PoliceNG have been killed, and their weapons, removed.

I have seen a similar data before. There's a proposed solution and capability for the military which will reduce this alot. For me to find it fascinating, I am sure my seniors and decision makers should also find it to be so.

That's no problem. We find alot of solutions fascinating and sure of them working but we hardly proceed with them. I just hope we do this time around.

Lives matters alot.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by sconp: 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:

Then you make them see it. Create a problem for them and be the solution at the same time.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:07pm On Jul 19, 2018
sconp:

Then you make them see it. Create a problem for them and be the solution at the same time.
A senator's family had just been kidnapped. You mean deny them to the government intelligence and tracking equipments. Tell them the security agencies lack this and that lol.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:09pm On Jul 19, 2018
Israel gives Hamas till Firday to stop arson attacks on Israeli farms. If not stopped by then, a large-scale #military operation is being planned to begin in Gaza soon after.

This is how you fight terrorism when you have the money and equipments.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2018
There's a guy on twitter called Edward. He's filled with epitome of false news. He claimed air support never came during the attack which hurts my soul to the core. How do you go online to spread such barbaric and wrong information?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

Are they passionate about anything other than laying up Ill gotten wealth?

I hope we evolve
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:

Please provide a link to this.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2018
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2018
I still hold the view that the government is not doing enough to shore up our military hardwares. Why can't the FG use the Abacha loot $320 f**king million dollars and get us Russian toys. An SU-27 cost about $30m, we can get 5 units of this and use the remainder for Trainings, spares etc, or better still start up a program to gradually phase out the use of AK 47 as our basic infantry weapons with the Tavor series. It makes no sense when our troops are carrying the same calibre of weapons with the enemy and we expect them to perform wonders, is it not an irony that the bigmen and politicians are protected by DSS with Tavor rifles while the Military responsible for the protection of our territorial integrity carries rusty AKs save for special forces.
Truly we are not yet serious in fighting this monster..

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 3:33pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:
There's a guy on twitter called Edward. He's filled with epitome of false news. He claimed air support never came during the attack which hurts my soul to the core. How do you go online to spread such barbaric and wrong information?
Which of the attacks do you think he was talking about?
AFAIK, Air Support never came during the Jilli attack where we lost hundreds of good men.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2018
Xbee007:

Which of the attacks do you think he was talking about?
AFAIK, Air Support never came during the Jilli attack where we lost hundreds of good men.

Air support was sent for Jilli when we repelled the attack. The barrack was never in total control of bht. Guys were held down as Boko Haram came in with AA guns. Troops were armed with assault riffles and could not hold the barrack for longer time as Boko Haram came in heavily.

Uniforms were being distributed to soldiers during the time of the attack so I'm sure there was a mole. Now let forget about the mole, it's a usual thing and that's why we have counter intelligence and things places in place. Lack of situation awareness around the barrack caused this. If they had known of an incoming BHT attack from at least 10km away from a military facility housing over 700 soldiers then air support request would have reached us and we would have responded faster.

A maximum response time of 10 - 15 minutes and we would have been there before much damage could have been done. During the attack, avoiding blue fire was necessary as it was already a danger close call when the jets arrived. Soldiers were running everywhere. Differentiating between BHT and own troops was hard so we had to wait for a SF team to coordinate the attack on expelling bht from the barrack.

One thing lacking is how these guys retreat during attack. You don't scatter anyhow as we will have a tough time providing air support. The SF Guys know this so we have an easy time providing back up for them. As you can see when our mi-17 had an issue and landed into the enemy territory, an A-jet was around ready to fire with a hind watching on our troops SIX. The guys retreated tactically and the A Jet fired on immobile military hardware which claimed some terrorist lives.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 19, 2018
bidexiii:

3 JF-17s won’t change the tide of a COIN war bidexiii, we need the army to do its damn job, that’s what we need. The Air Force and navy can only do soo much to support them.

What targeting sensors and smart bombs are we getting with our Jf-17s?
the super tucano is a more potent COIN aircraft.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2018
jakeporeshenko:

3 JF-17s won’t change the tide of a COIN war bidexiii, we need the army to do its damn job, that’s what we need. The Air Force and navy can only do soo much to support them.

What targeting sensors and smart bombs are we getting with our Jf-17s?
the super tucano is a more potent COIN aircraft.

3 jf-17 will do much. With accurate bombs, we can take out huge amount of BHT, drop bombs at high range, fire rockets from a long distance without taking hit. A-Jet do take hits at times from BHT fire as they do camofluage AA guns in various directions. This is why the jets go on immediate maneuver after during on BHT position.

Now, doctrine and tactics are being subjected to current capabilities. Ground troops alone cannot win this war except if we're readying to change alot of things starting from our light skinned vehicle, mounting surveillance and sensors on vehicles, proper offensive with ISR sweep around 50km radius of ground troops etc.

The cheapest option now remains equipping the Air Force.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

Now, doctrine and tactics are being subjected to current capabilities. Ground troops alone cannot win this war except if we're readying to change alot of things starting from our light skinned vehicle, mounting surveillance and sensors on vehicles, proper offensive with ISR sweep around 50km radius of ground troops etc.

The cheapest option now remains equipping the Air Force.

Wrt fast jet aircrafts utility in coin is low.
Best option is low speed coin optimised aircrafts.

Other than operational advantage , the economical advantage is huge which actually helps to blunt the economical attrition enforced by insurgency.

War is kind of about economics wink
It is the single most important aspect which is often ignored by everybody.

If costs escalates beyond ones capability , u r forced to bargain and end up in peace talks. Most insurgency success is attributed to their ability to enforce economic attrition successfully.

U guys ordered targeting pods ?

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2018
nemesis8u:

Wrt fast jet aircrafts utility in coin is low.
Best option is low speed coin optimised aircrafts.

Other than operational advantage , the economical advantage is huge which actually helps to blunt the economical attrition enforced by insurgency.

War is kind of about economics wink
It is the single most important aspect which is often ignored by everybody.

If costs escalates beyond ones capability , u r forced to bargain and end up in peace talks. Most insurgency success is attributed to their ability to enforce economic attrition successfully.

U guys ordered targeting pods ?

Till date as per my info all bombing runs in the home country has been done with the lasing being handled by targeting pods ( sniper pods ) aboard accompanying F16.

Organic capability ( final official certification ) to utilise onboard targeting pod is still unknown.

While BVR capability was claimed since long only recently was the official certification for BVR capability issued.

So need to wait for official confirmation.

No idea concerning the targeting pod. The only information I have is we are getting a JF-17 which can perform ISR at the same time. I think the top brass met with a Turkish firm last year on it. I just checked online and I have noticed alot of things are actually missing online concerning the military here.

The Tucano will be our dedicated coin aircraft while the JF-17 can be used to strike targets deep into heavily controlled BHT territory. We've been able to make good use of the fast F-7 for coin so I'm sure we should do good with the Jf17 too.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

No idea concerning the targeting pod. The only information I have is we are getting a JF-17 which can perform ISR at the same time. I think the top brass met with a Turkish firm last year on it. I just checked online and I have noticed alot of things are actually missing online concerning the military here.

The Tucano will be our dedicated coin aircraft while the JF-17 can be used to strike targets deep into heavily controlled BHT territory. We've been able to make good use of the fast F-7 for coin so I'm sure we should do good with the Jf17 too.

But Boko Haram doesn’t control any territory, and Nigeria isn’t that large a country, if a super Tucano takes off from any of the NAF bases in the NE theatre it can hit any BH camp within our borders with pin point accuracy, More effective than an fast jet we can get our hands on.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by sconp: 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

A senator's family had just been kidnapped. You mean deny them to the government intelligence and tracking equipments. Tell them the security agencies lack this and that lol.
Something of that nature.

They might need to experience what soldiers in the frontlines experience before dropping money.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:43pm On Jul 19, 2018
NIGERIAN AIR FORCE GRADUATES ADDITIONAL FIGHTER PILOTS TO BOOST OPERATIONAL CAPABILITY

As part of its unrelenting efforts at boosting its operational capability to meet contemporary security challenges, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) yesterday, 18 July 2018, graduated additional fighter pilots. The graduation, which took place at the 407 Air Combat Training Group (ACTG), Kainji underscores the importance the current NAF leadership places on human capacity development for improved professional performance. Speaking during the graduation ceremony, the Guest of Honour, the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, who was represented by the Air Officer Commanding (AOC) Air Training Command, Air Vice Marshal (AVM) Mohammed Idris, stated that the graduation of additional combat pilots would boost the efforts of the NAF in the ongoing fight against insurgency and other forms of armed banditry in the country.

Speaking further, the AOC stated that training has always remained a major agent of transformation, noting that 407 ACTG has continued to fulfill its role of training combat ready fighter pilots for the NAF to defend the nation’s territorial integrity by air. He therefore thanked the CAS for his deep interest, guidance and provision of resources for the conduct of training activities in the NAF. The AOC also expressed his gratitude to the Commander, instructors, officers and airmen/airwomen of 407 ACTG for their contributions towards ensuring the successful completion of the pilots’ training. AVM Idris congratulated the graduands for being able to complete the combat training programme. According to him, the rigours of the training were aimed at giving the pilots the requisite foundation and balance to prepare them for greater challenges they would definitely face in the operational squadron. He then reminded them of their importance to operational effectiveness and accordingly urged them to be ready to contribute their quota to enhance operations in the NAF.

Earlier in his opening address, the Commander 407 ACTG, Squadron Leader Gambo Maidawa, disclosed that the Unit has been the hub for producing combat ready pilots for the NAF through the collective efforts of its officers, airmen, airwomen and civilian staff. He thanked the CAS for his admirable leadership style, which has spurred them to achieve this great feat. He therefore promised to continue to provide purposeful training to actualize the mandate of the Unit. The Commander also appreciated the host community for their understanding and support.

The Tactical Fighter Course 21B, which commenced in April 2017, included the Ground Academics and Flying Phases with the Flying Phase focusing on conversion flying on the Alpha Jet aircraft and tactical flying on the same aircraft. Additionally, the pilots received training on air-to-ground and air-to-air missions. Among the dignitaries that graced the occasion were the Emir of Borgu, Barrister Muhammadu Sani Haliru Jikantoro as well as heads of military formations and security agencies.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 8:43pm On Jul 19, 2018
allexpensive:

Air support was sent for Jilli when we repelled the attack. The barrack was never in total control of bht. Guys were held down as Boko Haram came in with AA guns. Troops were armed with assault riffles and could not hold the barrack for longer time as Boko Haram came in heavily.

Uniforms were being distributed to soldiers during the time of the attack so I'm sure there was a mole. Now let forget about the mole, it's a usual thing and that's why we have counter intelligence and things places in place. Lack of situation awareness around the barrack caused this. If they had known of an incoming BHT attack from at least 10km away from a military facility housing over 700 soldiers then air support request would have reached us and we would have responded faster.

700 soldiers armed with only rifles! shocked
Do they learn anything at all? No gun nest for HMGs? No Mortars.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2018
Photos

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2018
More

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) (610) ... (2202) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.