Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,182 members, 7,842,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (688) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3054475 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) ... (2202) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2018
UPDATE ON AIR INCIDENT INVOLVING 2 NIGERIAN AIR FORCE AIRCRAFT

Two Nigerian Air Force (NAF) F-7Ni aircraft taking part in the rehearsals for the aerial display to mark Nigeria’s 58th Independence Anniversary Celebrations were involved in an air incident today, 28 September 2018. The air mishap necessitated the 3 pilots to eject from their aircraft, which subsequently crashed in the general area of Katamkpe Hill. Regrettably, however, one of them later died due to complications from injuries sustained upon impact on the ground. Thankfully, there were no civilian casualties.

The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on behalf of officers, airmen and airwomen of the NAF, commiserates with the family of the deceased officer. The CAS has also instituted an air crash investigation to determine the remote and immediate causes of the incident.

IBIKUNLE DARAMOLA
Air Commodore
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:37pm On Sep 28, 2018
From the look of things it Was an air collision...... They where trying to perfect some air maneuver stunts.

And someone is here blaming the aircrafts that they are flying coffins.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:41pm On Sep 28, 2018
Photos of Sqn Ldr MB Baba-Ari as a young pilot.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:42pm On Sep 28, 2018
More...

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 6:56pm On Sep 28, 2018
giles14:
can the tucano withstand 14.5mm
because of this issue of going for SUs or Tucanoes i've being priviledged to discuss with highly experienced combat pilots, I've being a dogged promoter of the Russian sweeties till an officer schooled me on the reality on ground. Personally I believe the Sukhois are better because a turboprop does not spool up as fast as a jet engine. This however is compensated for by prop pitch control and automated engine controls. No need to keep an eye on such things as throttle position and manifold pressure. Maintaining engine “speed” is different than maintaining “power” which is how a turboprop works.The torque effect in the turboprop would be more gentle than the jet engine because rotational speed is maintained and only power level is changed compared to jet engine fortunately/unfortunately one Officer told me that the major reason why NAF currently send lots of Officers for Pilot training is because of this insurgency ish, with our limited bugdet and the kind of operations that is conducted in the NE the Tucanoes perfectly fit into the scene. Going for the SUs now is like using a sledge hammer to kill ants when you can easily use a broom to achieve a better result. We are not at war with a sophisticated enemy(One with the capability of air raid) so getting an SU for now will not be efficient like the Tucanoes with the current challenge, this can be compared to a child crying for food but he wants to eat meat instead grin. Unless we are buying the SUs for any eventuality in the future it remains a want and not a need for now.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 28, 2018
ugo4u:

because of this issue of going for SUs or Tucanoes i've being priviledged to discuss with highly experienced combat pilots, I've being a dogged promoter of the Russian sweeties till an officer schooled me on the reality on ground. Personally I believe the Sukhois are better because a turboprop does not spool up as fast as a jet engine. This however is compensated for by prop pitch control and automated engine controls. No need to keep an eye on such things as throttle position and manifold pressure. Maintaining engine “speed” is different than maintaining “power” which is how a turboprop work[/b]s.The torque effect in the turboprop would be more gentle than the jet engine because rotational speed is maintained and only power level is changed compared to jet engine fortunately/unfortunately one Officer told me that the major reason why NAF currently send lots of Officers for Pilot training is because of this insurgency ish, with our limited bugdet and the kind of operations that is conducted in the NE the Tucanoes perfectly fit into the scene. [b]Going for the SUs now is like using a sledge hammer to kill ants when you can easily use a broom to achieve a better result. We are not at war with a sophisticated enemy(One with the capability of air raid) so getting an SU for now will not be efficient like the Tucanoes with the current challenge, this can be compared to a child crying for food but he wants to eat meat instead grin. Unless we are buying the SUs for any eventuality in the future it remains a want and not a need.

Lol i give up really..and I mean it this time. I'm leaving this site forever with this last post.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2018
bidexiii:
From the look of things it Was an air collision...... They where trying to perfect some air maneuver stunts.

And someone is here blaming the aircrafts that they are flying coffins.
no need to say someone.

you are dem free to mention
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2018
ugo4u:

because of this issue of going for SUs or Tucanoes i've being priviledged to discuss with highly experienced combat pilots, I've being a dogged promoter of the Russian sweeties till an officer schooled me on the reality on ground. Personally I believe the Sukhois are better because a turboprop does not spool up as fast as a jet engine. This however is compensated for by prop pitch control and automated engine controls. No need to keep an eye on such things as throttle position and manifold pressure. Maintaining engine “speed” is different than maintaining “power” which is how a turboprop works.The torque effect in the turboprop would be more gentle than the jet engine because rotational speed is maintained and only power level is changed compared to jet engine fortunately/unfortunately one Officer told me that the major reason why NAF currently send lots of Officers for Pilot training is because of this insurgency ish, with our limited bugdet and the kind of operations that is conducted in the NE the Tucanoes perfectly fit into the scene. Going for the SUs now is like using a sledge hammer to kill ants when you can easily use a broom to achieve a better result. We are not at war with a sophisticated enemy(One with the capability of air raid) so getting an SU for now will not be efficient like the Tucanoes with the current challenge, this can be compared to a child crying for food but he wants to eat meat instead grin. Unless we are buying the SUs for any eventuality in the future it remains a want and not a need.

wen issues of CAS crops up. I am always for the tucano regardless of its light body armor.

but that guy rant of tucano and SU 25 having similar armor pissed me off

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 7:15pm On Sep 28, 2018

Lol i give up really..and I mean it this time. I'm leaving this site forever with this last post.
You know you fuckedup big time when you came here and insult everyone even after making some false assumptions. Nobody is a rapporteur of knowledge, we are all learning including myself.
So calm down, and apologise instead of going to waste another username.
God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2018
ugo4u:

because of this issue of going for SUs or Tucanoes i've being priviledged to discuss with highly experienced combat pilots, I've being a dogged promoter of the Russian sweeties till an officer schooled me on the reality on ground. Personally I believe the Sukhois are better because a turboprop does not spool up as fast as a jet engine. This however is compensated for by prop pitch control and automated engine controls. No need to keep an eye on such things as throttle position and manifold pressure. Maintaining engine “speed” is different than maintaining “power” which is how a turboprop works.The torque effect in the turboprop would be more gentle than the jet engine because rotational speed is maintained and only power level is changed compared to jet engine fortunately/unfortunately one Officer told me that the major reason why NAF currently send lots of Officers for Pilot training is because of this insurgency ish, with our limited bugdet and the kind of operations that is conducted in the NE the Tucanoes perfectly fit into the scene. Going for the SUs now is like using a sledge hammer to kill ants when you can easily use a broom to achieve a better result. We are not at war with a sophisticated enemy(One with the capability of air raid) so getting an SU for now will not be efficient like the Tucanoes with the current challenge, this can be compared to a child crying for food but he wants to eat meat instead grin. Unless we are buying the SUs for any eventuality in the future it remains a want and not a need.

God bless you and may wisdom never elude you.

The super tucano can deliver any weapon/munition the SUs can deliver, the Tucano can carry ISR & Strike missions on itself which the SUs do no have ISR .

The most important thing is that it very cheap to maintain considering the numbers of flight-sorties. In my own opinion it makes it the most efficient aircraft do the N.E COIN.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Seened: 7:39pm On Sep 28, 2018
Off topic:

A marine corp F-35B crashed some hours ago in South Carolina, USA.

Seems like a bad day for military aircrafts on noncombat missions.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2018
Seened:
Off topic:

Oops ..another F-35B crash. What a beauty !! And all you idiots insulting me me with the lack of priority crap, i sometimes wish it were you or one of your relatives strapped into the crap you call an aircraft. Its alright displaying your primitive and cheap mindset on Nairaland land and insulting those calling for drastic changes, but these are real human being strapped into these air coffins. Wherever d idiots..remind me again how acquiring modern airframes is waste of resources and fantasy America cannot afford. We'be lost another F-35 to a crash. How many do Americans have left?
SLMB September 28, 2018

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lebuhsi(m): 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2018
ugo4u:

Oops ..another F-35B crash. What a beauty !! And all you idiots insulting me me with the lack of priority crap, i sometimes wish it were you or one of your relatives strapped into the crap you call an aircraft. Its alright displaying your primitive and cheap mindset on Nairaland land and insulting those calling for drastic changes, but these are real human being strapped into these air coffins. Wherever d idiots..remind me again how acquiring modern airframes is waste of resources and fantasy America cannot afford. We'be lost another F-35 to a crash. How many do Americans have left?
SLMB September 28, 2018
An irony, really
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:16pm On Sep 28, 2018
Seened:
Off topic:

These was what I just said some few hours ago , even the most modern aircrafts crashes not as a result of enemy fire. Can we just conclude that the F-35B is a flying coffin because it crashed ......

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kolawole81: 9:30pm On Sep 28, 2018
ugo4u:

SLMB September 28, 2018

Lol answer the question how many does America have left? Probably hundreds. How many has Nigeria left? Probably seven or eight now. Not good enough the attrition rate for such a small air force imo.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by numbered(m): 9:48pm On Sep 28, 2018
Nobody knows when we will get our JF-17s with the US-RUSSIA wahala. An option could be to purchase the mig-29smt for air defence missions and undertake a deep intensive upgrade of our F-7's,purchase used F-7PG's from Pakistan to make up the numbers,( with new engines,martin baker ejection seats,new radar,targeting pods etc) as a stopgap measure. By 2030 we should have totally replaced these aircraft with the JF-17 as the Pakistani's are still fulfilling their own requirements.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 28, 2018
Kolawole81:

Lol answer the question how many does America have left? Probably hundreds. How many has Nigeria left? Probably seven or eight now. Not good enough the attrition rate for such a small air force imo.
The Nigerian Air Force has flown 30,000 combat missions in less than a year.

The attrition rate is well with acceptable standards. The Nigerian Air Force as a service has done really well, make no mistake.

However the service like other branches of the military require serious funding. That would mean the Nigerian Government income has to go up.

Nigeria has one of the world's worst tax to GDP ratio, 5% to GDP.

Are you willing to be taxed higher so the government can afford to properly fund the NAF, so we can purchase the high performance jets we want?

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kolawole81: 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2018
Henry240:

The attrition rate is well with acceptable standards. The Nigerian Air Force as a service has done really well, make no mistake.

However the service like other branches of the military require serious funding. That would mean the Nigerian Government income has to go up.

Are you willing to be taxed higher so the government can afford to properly fund the NAF, so we can purchase the high performance jets we want?

I agree with you bro. But Nigeria has the means to finance what ever is needed if the political will is there. Truth is Boko Haram lasted this long because the military was unprepared. No Nigerian ever expected what we see on CNN in the middleeast will happen here. Suicide bombers? No way. We are dealing with the consequences. Though funds are tight now to your point, but it will be more expensive to tempt fate and make the same mistake twice that spare no expense to secure the lives of citizens. We should never adopt the fire brigade approach to national security, the consequences can be far reaching,

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2018
Henry240:

shocked grin shocked
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by numbered(m): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2018
Henry240:

Thats what they don't get the NAF is working with the little provided by the FG. Do we have the money for billion dollar deals ? sure, but the politicians are not interested in spending.This year alone the service chiefs were almost begging the govt. to spend ,but how many Nigerians cared to support them.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kolawole81: 10:08pm On Sep 28, 2018
numbered:
Thats what they don't get the NAF is working with the little provided by the FG. Do we have the money for billion dollar deals ? sure, but the politicians are not interested in spending.This year alone the service chiefs were almost begging the govt. to spend ,but how many Nigerians cared to support them.

The politicians are the problem. The president took flak from the Senate over aircraft purchases. Nigeria seriously needs to diversify its economy. $50 billion in oil revenue annually for 200 million people can only go so far.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2018
Kolawole81:

I agree with you bro. But Nigeria has the means to finance what ever is needed if the political will is there. Truth is Boko Haram lasted this long because the military was unprepared. No Nigerian ever expected what we see on CNN in the middleeast will happen here. Suicide bombers? No way. We are dealing with the consequences. Though funds are tight now to your point, but it will be more expensive to tempt fate and make the same mistake twice that spare no expense to secure the lives of citizens. We should never adopt the fire brigade approach to national security, the consequences can be far reaching,
We need to properly fund our military. The Buhari regime isn't doing well with funding the military.

Algeria spends 10 billion dollars on the military, i'm well aware we don't have that kind of money to fund the military alone but a minimum 4 billion dollars should be a benchmark if we want to see a decent force.

To fund insurgency killing Nigerians, wahala. No proper IFVs, Artillery or Tanks. Tricked out Beryl used by our special forces are beautiful for photos, but in reality without heavy weapons, we're wasting our time.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kolawole81: 10:27pm On Sep 28, 2018
Henry240:

We need to properly fund our military. The Buhari regime isn't doing well with funding the military.

Algeria spends 10 billion dollars on the military, i'm well aware we don't have that kind of money to fund the military alone but a minimum 4 billion dollars should be a benchmark if we want to see a decent force.

To fund insurgency killing Nigerians, wahala. No proper IFVs, Artillery or Tanks. Tricked out Beryl used by our special forces are beautiful for photos, but in reality without heavy weapons, we're wasting our time.

Buhari is doing his best and I dare say has spent more. But I don't have figures so i may be wrong. Do you recall how Jonathan spent million off dollars in a sham cease-fire deal with Idris Derby?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 10:38pm On Sep 28, 2018
On funding the military I have a very dumb idea. And it is what I call TRADE BY BARTER , let's sign an MOU with say the Russians or the Chinese to help build the military equipment wise including the Air force. This deal will see the said country directly extracting our very untapped resources e.g Gold, Gas, Coal, Nickel etc let's exclude oil for now. The state in which the resources will be gotten from will have a kind of benefit from such deal lets say they keep 30% of the extract to themselves(In kind/cash). This deal will make those overlooked sectors spring back to life e.g The Ajaokuta steel was built by the Russians and one naira was not paid to them, we paid them with tonnes of cocoa(Can't remember the specific amount). Osun alone that can't pay salaries is sitting on over $3billion worth of Gold, Ondo has unimaginable deposit of bauxite laying fallow because of government policies, not to talk of some parts of enugu where it is almost becoming an issue to dig wells or sink borehole because of the amount of coal deposits and the numerous solid minerals that is littered all over the north.
Call in this guys to tap these resooures since we can't and in turn use the equivalent to supply us hardwares. As it stands now we can't get readily get about $10b cashto begin an extensive modernization of our armed forces.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 28, 2018
Kolawole81:

Buhari is doing his best and I dare say has spent more. But I don't have figures so i may be wrong. Do you recall how Jonathan spent million off dollars in a sham cease-fire deal with Idris Derby?
Same way Buhari has spent millions of dollars in Kidnap-for-Ransom deals.

Compared to GEJ, Buhari is lagging behind. Evidence of equipment received by the Nigerian military under both leaders have been really poor.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:31pm On Sep 28, 2018
Henry240:

Same way Buhari has spent millions of dollars in Kidnap-for-Ransom deals.

Compared to GEJ, Buhari is lagging behind. Evidence of equipment received by the Nigerian military under both leaders have been really poor.

GEJ military chiefs really squander a lot of funds meant for procurement of hardwares.

In Compare of what is to come; Buhari is doing far better. For me he is falling shot as an ex military man he should understand better.

Lastly how much as Buhari spent on "Kidnap-for-Ransom deals" grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 11:42pm On Sep 28, 2018
bidexiii:

GEJ military chiefs really squander a lot of funds meant for procurement of hardwares.

In Compare of what is to come; Buhari is doing far better. For me he is falling shot as an ex military man he should understand better.
GEJ facilitated the release of heavy funds to the military more than Bubu, but the major undoing of that administration was his service Chiefs. I'm still fantasizing what the Air force would have being if Air Marshal Sadique was at the helm of affairs during Jonathan's time. Fast forward to 2019 the reverse is the case, Bubu has not done enough in sourcing for funds, the people he should have worked in tandem with to make things easier for him he sees them as looters(National Assembly), the major undoing of this administarion is that they see lobbying as corruption, which is quite disapointing. The T72s and other hardwares the army is using were procured during GEJ's tenure.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:48am On Sep 29, 2018
ugo4u:

GEJ facilitated the release of heavy funds to the military more than Bubu, but the major undoing of that administration was his service Chiefs. I'm still fantasizing what the Air force would have being if Air Marshal Sadique was at the helm of affairs during Jonathan's time. Fast forward to 2019 the reverse is the case, Bubu has not done enough in sourcing for funds, the people he should have worked in tandem with to make things easier for him he sees them as looters(National Assembly), the major undoing of this administarion is that they see lobbying as corruption, which is quite disapointing. The T72s and other hardwares the army is using were procured during GEJ's tenure.

We are sat8ng the same thing.

GEJ chiefs squandered those funds, especially the COAS with the pop belly. It's the same thing as not releasing the money grin
Buhari has only gotten the army MRAPS.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Sizzorkay: 2:32am On Sep 29, 2018
F-35 fighter jet crashes in South Carolina, pilot ejects

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-military-f-35-fighter-jet-crashes-south-181444331--sector.html

Jets do crash, ask the USA , with it's more advanced toys, many still crash, anything that flies can end up being a flying coffin, regardless whether it's an old frame or new. It happens, and reason for it are plenty as wel

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kolawole81: 4:10am On Sep 29, 2018
Sizzorkay:
F-35 fighter jet crashes in South Carolina, pilot ejects

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-military-f-35-fighter-jet-crashes-south-181444331--sector.html

Jets do crash, ask the USA , with it's more advanced toys, many still crash, anything that flies can end up being a flying coffin, regardless whether it's an old frame or new. It happens, and reason for it are plenty as wel

That's true. But the USAF has over 13,000 aircrafts, almost 3,000 fighters. In Nigeria's case we fail to realise we have one of the smallest fighter jet fleet in the world. Just EIGHT fighter jets. That's dangerous for a nation like Nigeria. We need more fighter jets.We shouldn't leave the nation's airspace unprotected just because Boko Haram dies not constitute an aerial threat. The war against Boko Haram will be fought and won mostly on the ground. The critical service here is the army. Air Marshal Sadique had better stat focusing on fleet capitalization.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 29, 2018
It's Time to Abolish the Air Force.
Two Nigerian Air Force F-7Ni fighter jets crashed after a mid-air collision in the Katampe area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, on Friday. This incident reduces the Nigerian Air Force fighter jet fleet to seven. Yes, seven fighter jets. In 2005 the Nigerian Air Force retired its fleet of 22 Mig-21 fighter jets and acquired 15 Chinese Chengdu F-7Ni Airguard fighter as a stop-gap measure in the interim, while the service deliberates on new fighter aircraft for its frontline role.

Thirteen years later no such acquisition has been made. Thu F-7Ni fighter fleet has reduced from 15 aircraft in 2005 to just 7 today. Financing has been the bane as the dramatic drop it oil prices sent the Nigerian economy spiralling into its worse economic crises in 25 years. As it stands the Nigerian Army is the only service able to perform its statutory role of defending the nation’s territorial integrity. But as capable as it may be, it could be seriously hamstrung by a failing Air Force. In today’s evolved battlefield you cannot isolate air power from ground forces.

The workhorse of the Nigerian Air Force remains 13 Alpha jet trainer aircraft and a few Aero L-29 trainer aircraft. The cash crunch has seen Nigeria reconfigure both trainers for ground attack duties. Lacking in air to air capability Nigeria effectively have just 5 or 6 attack jets to provide air defence for Nigeria’s 937,000 square kilometres of territory.

Finance must drive the defence establishment towards rationalisation. If sacred cows must be killed for the sake of efficiency, would not the disbandment of the NAF and the transfer of its air defence responsibilities to the Nigerian Army deliver greater savings and far greater efficiency?

There is no shame in admitting that the single-function service has had its day in Nigeria and to return military flying to the Army. The bloated higher command structures and stultifying bureaucracy, especially when compared to the Army and Navy has made the Air Force the weak link in the Nigerian armed forces and hinders the achievement of its airmen’s potential by limiting the available number of platforms to fly and hon their skills.

How does one setup a flight training school and spend millions in training for a service that has basically 4 fighter jets able to scramble in an instance. The Army’s request for an Army Air Arm independent of the NAF reflects the lack of confidence the service has for the NAF providing critical Close Air Support for ground troops.

The death of so many Nigerian soldiers could have been avoided if the Air Force had been proficient in its support missions. To put things into perspective, just last year in September or October, the Army received credible intelligence that Boko Haram terrorists were planning a major attack on troops of the 233 Battalion stationed at the forwarding base in Sassawa, 35 kilometers East of Damaturu. Members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) affiliated to the Army and villagers had informed the troops after discovering that Boko Haram members were congregating in the area.

Following the receipt of the information, Army Intelligence officers notified the Nigerian Air Force and requested for air cover. Curiously, however, the request was not acted upon until the terrorists struck, killing Lieutenant Shuaibu, eight soldiers and seriously injuring 3 others. Every deployable aircraft was engaged. There were simply not enough aircraft.

The situation report showed that the Army only managed to send a few gun trucks to fortify the base after learning of the impending attack. Boko Haram terrorists arrived the base in with seven gun trucks and a platoon of fighters armed with machine guns and other high-grade military weapons. After ransacking the base and killing the nine soldiers, they blew up the facility. It took the dislocated troops and hurriedly assembled reinforcements about one hour to dislodge the terrorists.

Sending soldiers into combat without a %100 guarantee of air cover saps the morale of soldiers on the ground and seriously affects performance. These complaints became prominent in 2016 and was brought to the Military High Command. The Nigerian army as losing men due to the Air Force’s inaction, an inaction caused by inadequate and antiquated platforms.

Military sources in Abuja say the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Sadique Abubakar are intensely jostling for the position of the chief Defense Staff after Buhari confided in aides that the position of the Chief of Army Staff will go next to the Southwest region.

Hence no surprise when the NAF’s response to Army’s complaint was to create its absurd “Special Forces Units” scheme in which the tactical map was altered to convince the politicians of its importance. The result of this chicanery was that the service abandoned its primary role in the war, which was to provide CAS for troops and began competing with the army for combat roles.

What little money “very poor Nigeria” can afford should be allocated to the Nigerian Army bearing the brunt of the Boko Haram insurgency to fly and operate all aircraft. It is worth mentioning that the Nigerian Army already have an Aviation Corp. Integrating pilots and other structures shouldn’t be too hard.

A Nigerian Army Air Force will be run with rather fewer people per aircraft than the NAF. Since money is the excuse given by the service for the abysmal state of the Air Force then we have to kill some sacred cows” in the defence industry.

I have long held the view that the $600 million deal for 12 Super Tucano planes is ridiculous, prohibitively expensive and unaffordable for a nation that can barely field 10 fighter jets; after all, Nigeria is broke.

Absorbing the roles of the NAF, its aircraft, and the people required to fly and service them, into the Army would bring huge cost-savings while offering much improved co-operation and integration. The resulting two armed services, with their embedded air-power expertise, would allow a reduction of around 10,000 people, and provide the 30 per cent savings in defence.

Source

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 6:56am On Sep 29, 2018
Kolawole81:

That's true. But the USAF has over 13,000 aircrafts, almost 3,000 fighters. In Nigeria's case we fail to realise we have one of the smallest fighter jet fleet in the world. Just EIGHT fighter jets. That's dangerous for a nation like Nigeria. We need more fighter jets.We shouldn't leave the nation's airspace unprotected just because Boko Haram dies not constitute an aerial threat. The war against Boko Haram will be fought and won mostly on the ground. The critical service here is the army. Air Marshal Sadique had better stat focusing on fleet capitalization.
Haba!!! it is too early now for such sweeping assumptions, how did you come about ur figure?

(1) (2) (3) ... (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) ... (2202) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Corrections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.