Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? (4513 Views)

Cheating In Relationships- A Big Deal? / Opinion: Money Is Not a Necessary Ingredient in ATTRACTING a Lady. / Reasons Why Ladies Like Sex But Pretend They Hate It In Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:14am On Apr 07, 2015
Emotional Blackmail in Relationships. A necessary evil?

Emotional blackmail as defined by Susan Forward Ph.d.,, is a powerful form of manipulation in which people close to us threaten to punish us,directly or indirectly if we don't do what they want.

Emotional Blackmail exists in different forms,,but the crux of our discussion is emotional blackmail in relationships.

This is a very big disease that has infested so many relationships and marriages today and has also been the cause of so many break-ups and divorce in our society.

People who use emotional blackmail are usually illogical in reasoning. They live by a double standard. They want you to do what they themselves will not do if they are in your situation.

And the moment you try to question them or discuss it they'll try to distract you by changing the subject or deny it's existence; or being angry and dramatic. They'll turn everything towards you. Take for example when you confront her with this question:

"Are you saying I should not hang out with my friends on a saturday night but it's cool for you to go shopping with the girls during the weekend and then you sleep over?"

The supposed anger may have nothing to do with the particular topic,,they just want to throw you off balance and diverge from it.

There are certain behaviours that some of our Ladies display in relationships and we tend to over look it because she is a "woman". Some of this behaviours are totally wrong and are not meant to be accepted. Accepting it means you have agreed to die slowly.

Many a times i've heard women saying emotional blackmail is very necessary for them. A female nairalander once said and I quote "I know it's bad but it's necessary because I use it to get what I want from him"

One point to note that women usually use this tactic when they cannot ask their partner directly. It could be that they want him to stay with them and keep them company. They rather sulk and keep a moody face than tell him what's on their mind and when he asks,,they say "Nothing is wrong".

Also they tend to use words like "I know you don't have my time" or "You are not caring at all". Even when some of them know deep down that they've got one of the most caring men ever.

There are so many examples and experiences of emotional blackmail in relationships today and it's becoming almost like a norm.
While some men are standing against it,,others have chosen to accept it as a "Natural Behaviour" in their partner and so they die slowly inside until the relationship or Marriage can no longer hold.

Emotional Blackmail is not a necessary evil to get what you want from your partner. Or get him to do certain things for you. IMO

What's your view on this?

Also share your experiences for others to learn wink
Cc:Lalasticlala

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by saaedlee: 8:16am On Apr 07, 2015
I don't think I can be blackmailed into doing som'in against my will while in any relationship, neither can I do same to others. It is not just right!
I belong to the school of thought that believes that what is yours is yours no matter the obstacles.

However, people who aren't honest enough from the onset of their relationships end up blackmailing their partners to do their bidding!

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 07, 2015
Iss0kay cool
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by alberto2k(m): 8:19am On Apr 07, 2015
She can try at her own peril, she blackmails and I blacklist her outta my mind and head till she repents grin
I can't give any girl the pleasure of watching me suffer... It ain't worth Iswear angry

But I do it too... Happens in every real relationship embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:20am On Apr 07, 2015
saaedlee:
I don't think I can be cornered in any relationship I go into
Lol,,how do you mean?
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 07, 2015
kiss

a very lonq write up.@ op.

brb
. .to share ma view .

#YOLO
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:20am On Apr 07, 2015
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:21am On Apr 07, 2015
Jezyfreezman:
Iss0kay cool
alberto2k:
embarassed
Make una dey chop space o grin
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:21am On Apr 07, 2015
Jezyfreezman:
Iss0kay cool

Nigga, owfar Na!!
Ow ya Nite??
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by falconey(m): 8:22am On Apr 07, 2015

"Making me do stuffs or I won't touch her naughty places" by MR FALCONEY.

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 07, 2015
naijaboiy:

Make una dey chop space o grin
nah we qet ahmgrin
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:23am On Apr 07, 2015
Acekidc4:

Nigga, owfar Na!!
Ow ya Nite??
Oga you wan derail so o cheesy
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Dyt(f): 8:23am On Apr 07, 2015
It happens in every relationship jor
I do it too
He does it cos he knows I care too much
But when it gets too much, it becomes messy
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by ShirelleBaby: 8:24am On Apr 07, 2015
Modified

Emotional blackmail is never one sided in any relationship--because whether we agree or disagree to it,we all have a way of making our partner agree to our wish against their own wish.
It all falls on how far u push the drama to make ur partner agree to ur desire or feel sad he/she didn't agree.

Dating a lady/guy with a complex attitude just worsens it all especially when u are the 'drunk in love' type

Saying emotional blackmail is a necessary evil is a bit on the high side considering that both party in a relationship play this game.

JUST DON'T MAKE IT A HABIT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 07, 2015
Acekidc4:

Nigga, owfar Na!!
Ow ya Nite??
Br0s fyn 0....hw urz nahcheesy
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by saaedlee: 8:24am On Apr 07, 2015
naijaboiy:

Lol,,how do you mean?

I hv edited the post
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Slimzjoe(m): 8:26am On Apr 07, 2015
Make I hearsay I read all thiz Finish undecided
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:29am On Apr 07, 2015
naijaboiy:

Oga you wan derail so o cheesy

You no go vex Ni oh, naso the spirit lead me!! Shout halleluyah Somebodycheesy
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by alberto2k(m): 8:31am On Apr 07, 2015
Acekidc4:

You no go vex Ni oh, naso the spirit lead me!! Shout halleluyah Somebodycheesy
Baba na my boss geh this thread na

Jor make we go find another place no vess wink
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:32am On Apr 07, 2015
Jezyfreezman:

Omo Na Ashana house fit do am Oh!!

I nack Apako till Daybreak Nigrin
Tramadol Na Bad Medicine
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:33am On Apr 07, 2015
Jezyfreezman:

I nack Apako till Daybreak Ni ohgrin
Tramadol Na Bad Medicine
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:33am On Apr 07, 2015
Dyt:
It happens in every relationship jor
I do it too
He does it cos he knows I care too much
But when it gets too much, it becomes messy
That's the point at bolded.

But don't you think it can be totally avoided?
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by falconey(m): 8:34am On Apr 07, 2015
Acekidc4:

Tramadol Na Bad Medicine

"Tramadol" NOTED!
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by naijaboiy: 8:36am On Apr 07, 2015
alberto2k:
She can try at her own peril, she blackmails and I blacklist her outta my mind and head till she repents grin
I can't give any girl the pleasure of watching me suffer... It ain't worth Iswear angry

But I do it too... Happens in every real relationship embarassed
If you do it too she will blacklist you na? grin
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by vizkiz: 8:36am On Apr 07, 2015
I remember when I was still in a relationship with one of my ex. Then she was hanging out with this nigga, and anytime I ask if she is cheating on me she just get angry all of a sudden and she will even walk out then I will later be the one begging her again (imagine!)

I guess the solution to the is to make yourself(as a man) not too attached to any woman...it hurts when a lady toys with your emotion just to get what she wants

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:36am On Apr 07, 2015
alberto2k:

Baba na my boss geh this thread na

Jor make we go find another place no vess wink

No wahala Na!! Make I do little something for the Nigga Na!!

Cc: Lalasticlala Abeg FP
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 07, 2015
Acekidc4:

Tramadol Na Bad Medicine
hahahaha....me retire 4rm tramadol 3years ago......0m0,...E q0 tey b4 u reLease 0ogrin
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 07, 2015
Totally unnecessary.
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Rapmoney(m): 8:38am On Apr 07, 2015
Say No To Emotional Blackmail!!! grin

On a serious note, emotional blackmail prevails when you are too desparate about the other person cool

1 Like

Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Dyt(f): 8:38am On Apr 07, 2015
naijaboiy:

That's the point at bolded.

But don't you think it can be totally avoided?

Nope
Except there's no love
It will always happen
Sometimes we wanna be sure I am still the person
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by Acekidc4(m): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2015
Jezyfreezman:
hahahaha....me retire 4rm tramadol 3years ago......0m0,...E q0 tey b4 u reLease 0ogrin

E no easy My Brother!!cheesycheesy
Re: Emotional Blackmail In Relationships: A Necessary Evil? by alberto2k(m): 8:46am On Apr 07, 2015
naijaboiy:

If you do it too she will blacklist you na? grin

yeah! And I'll only "repent" if she's as pretty as oji river goddess, that's if my ego let's me embarassed

But in the maintime, I'll be cooling off with Nkechi, Nneka and Ngozi till we both "repent" and make up grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Relationship Is Really Not All About Sex. / Which Of The Miss Nairaland Contestant Will You Like To......... / If You Found Out Your Guy/bae Lives In A Place Like This, Would You Continue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.