Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! (1307 Views)

Glo-1 Submarine Cable / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 / Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! by Tokotaya: 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2010
The promise to Nigerians when the two submarine cables were being laid was that the speed of the Internet would increase tremendously. Now the two international cables are up and running, internet is still crawling in this country. The so called broadband I use is sometimes so slow that it takes eternity to upload a 1meg. And even the dongle I bought from an operator that claimed to have linked up with Mainone is nothing to write home about. I expected better results than this. What is happening? Or are people having better experience with the Internet elsewhere in this country? sad
Re: Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! by COMPAQ(m): 4:10pm On Dec 08, 2010
Me sef I tire o!! But seriously, the internet can only be as fast as it's weakest link. I recall reading about At&T who had a reputation for poor service on their iPhone service in Manhattan (New York) and I read that they had to acually upgrade every base station on the island to improve the service. SO what I'm saying is depite the fact that there is Glo1 and Main1, the telco's will actually have to go and upgrade individual base stations to enable them transmit and receive data at faster speeds.

All said and done though, MTN really seems to be the better network. But both of them can be very good and fast if you are lucky enough to stay close to a base station that may have been upgraded. For eg I have experienced and seen comments on NL alluding to the fact that Glo is very, very fast in Lekki. that is obviously for 2 reasons. First of all the high and mighty who can afford the most expensive bundles live there and their Glo 1 landing station is also in Lekki, so it would have made sense to upgrade the base stations around there first.

(1) (Reply)

This Laptop Is Going Out For 23k Only Call 08053021859 / How To Watch Over 45 Dstv Channels On Ur Symbian And Java Phone.call Me On 08034214935.email:nelsonf / Ipad Or Galaxy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.