Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? (51397 Views)

Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car / The Time A Car Cost N3,984 In Nigeria In 1982 (Photos) / Python Chilling In A Car Bonnet In Awka (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LKO(m): 11:14am On Apr 13, 2015
My case is similar to that of d op. Which shouuld I go for among VW golf 3, 1999/2000 toyota carina E and 1999/2000 toyota avensis? I intend getting a first class toks. Atleast 800k for purchase and extra 200k to keep for some polishing after purchase. I m still single but stays alone. I have a free accomodation. Please I need suggestions. Thanks.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by FlyboyZee: 12:31pm On Apr 13, 2015
coolluk:

i swear
If you think its unbelievable/impossible, then why did you open this thread?

I thought it was meant to help you make a decision from other people's experiences. Or may be, just may be I misunderstood the essence of this thread.

FYI, I have junior staff in my office earning about N40,000.00 who own and maintain their cars. How they do it? I don't know, but I know them personally, their salary levels and how they roll. All I meant was that its neither rocket science nor undoable to own or maintain a car with a take home of about a 100 grand in Naira.

8 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by coolluk(m): 1:58pm On Apr 13, 2015
FlyboyZee:

I thought it was meant to help you make a decision from other people's experiences. Or may be, just may be I misunderstood the essence of this thread.

FYI, I have junior staff in my office earning about N40,000.00 who own and maintain their cars. How they do it? I don't know, but I know them personally, their salary levels and how they roll. All I meant was that its neither rocket science nor undoable to own or maintain a car with a take home of about a 100 grand in Naira.

Bros i was actually referring to the guys savings culture and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stancity(m): 9:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
FlyboyZee:
I bought my first car ever when my salary was N64,000.00/month. That was a/an '03 Honda Accord (EoD) that's in my profile pix. By the time ny salary was about N93,000.00/month, I was already driving my 4th car, a Mercedes Benz 190 E. Now that I'm earning about N160,000.00/monthly, I am driving a 2009/10 Honda Civic Coupé and it costs me next to nothing to keep her running.

If I can keep the car running with additional responsibilities such as house rent, school fees and other supports for younger siblings, then you can do it also. Do not mind those who are discouraging you. Please, follow your desires.
Looking forward to see your expenditure monthly.. it will help some people a lot. smiley

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Kashif(m): 9:26am On Apr 14, 2015
chucky234:
1500 on fuel daily ? You must be cruising around town in a Bulldozer

People get mouth o! Chai! grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Kashif(m): 9:39am On Apr 14, 2015
FlyboyZee:
I bought my first car ever when my salary was N64,000.00/month. That was a/an '03 Honda Accord (EoD) that's in my profile pix. By the time ny salary was about N93,000.00/month, I was already driving my 4th car, a Mercedes Benz 190 E. Now that I'm earning about N160,000.00/monthly, I am driving a 2009/10 Honda Civic Coupé and it costs me next to nothing to keep her running.

If I can keep the car running with additional responsibilities such as house rent, school fees and other supports for younger siblings, then you can do it also. Do not mind those who are discouraging you. Please, follow your desires.

You must be a magician. 160k + 09/10 civic + school fees + rent + xtended family support? Indeed, I need to get in touch with you bro! See me thinking I am prudent angry angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Kashif(m): 9:45am On Apr 14, 2015
FlyboyZee:

40k as the only income and keeping a car on the road? Something must be wrong with my household!

Mrs Kashif, you better come and read this oo!! angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by davou4eva(m): 11:40am On Apr 14, 2015
It does not mean that you must be using the car for all your day to day activities. It might probably be an occasional usage to minimize maintenance activities and expenses but at least you will know that you have a mobility means whenever the need arises and most especially when you have to go out with your spouse and children.

8 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by blackfm: 8:33pm On Apr 14, 2015
Lol grin
Kashif:

40k as the only income and keeping a car on the road? Something must be wrong with my household!

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by blackfm: 8:34pm On Apr 14, 2015
If only he would give us an insight into how he administers the 160k so we can learn from him
Stancity:
Looking forward to see your expenditure monthly.. it will help some people a lot. smiley

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
LKO:
My case is similar to that of d op. Which shouuld I go for among VW golf 3, 1999/2000 toyota carina E and 1999/2000 toyota avensis? I intend getting a first class toks. Atleast 800k for purchase and extra 200k to keep for some polishing after purchase. I m still single but stays alone. I have a free accomodation. Please I need suggestions. Thanks.

There's really no diff. Between the carinaE and avensis. The avensis has more expensive body parts (rear lights, traficator lights foglamps.........) In comparisim with the carinaE.

What ever you get go for the 1.8liter version, avoid the large 3s-fe 2.0 liter engine (there's nothing wrong with it I just don't like it).

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stancity(m): 9:26pm On Apr 14, 2015
blackfm:
If only he would give us an insight into how he administers the 160k so we can learn from him
Exactly... i want to add to the ones i already know. smiley

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stancity(m): 9:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

There's really no diff. Between the carinaE and avensis. The avensis has more expensive body parts (rear lights, traficator lights foglamps.........) In comparisim with the carinaE.

What ever you get go for the 1.8liter version, avoid the large 3s-fe 2.0 liter engine (there's nothing wrong with it I just don't like it).
I want to get your contact sir, i have a problem and your idea may help me settle it.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:42pm On Apr 14, 2015
Stancity:
I want to get your contact sir, i have a problem and your idea may help me settle it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Why don't you just like it sir?
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2015
lomomike:

Why don't you just like it sir?

Hard to get the right replacement struts(kazeem always instals the 1.8 version), bulky engine fills up the entire engine bay, hard to replace timing belt when engine is in bay, generally love the lighter smaller engine with more space to work with. That 0.2L can rest.

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stancity(m): 10:00pm On Apr 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Thanks.. i will contact you sir.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LKO(m): 11:07pm On Apr 14, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Many thanks sir. Between the carina E and the golf 3 which would be extremely cheap to maintain in terms of regular service, parts and fuel consumption? In your opinion, which should I go for and your kind reasons. I sincerely awaits your suggestions. Thank you for the help.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:20pm On Apr 14, 2015
LKO:

Many thanks sir. Between the carina E and the golf 3 which would be extremely cheap to maintain in terms of regular service, parts and fuel consumption? In your opinion, which should I go for and your kind reasons. I sincerely awaits your suggestions. Thank you for the help.

Iv never owned the golf3 so my reply would be biased. I own an avensis2000 with a 1.8liter engine, and its performance has been WOW.

We are currently derailing this thread.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by yungboss(m): 8:14am On Apr 15, 2015
LKO:

the Carina e is a good budget car, we had a 2.0 l back then at home, it was reliable but as it got older it became a bit problematic. Get one in a good shape, you'll enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by dennisbee(m): 2:47am On Apr 16, 2015
blackfm:

In as much as the above is true, ild advice u go for a corolla or yaris. Honda can't take as much abuse as toyota and judging by your tone, ure looking to not spend much on maintaining a vehicle.
There's also the issue of fuel economy. My 05 corolla Le auto tranny (bought 9ja used) that even needs an O2 sensor replacement( this will improve fuel economy) still averages 30mpg when the manufacture spec is 35mpg for combined city/highway driving. I don't see any accord beating that. 2k fuel takes me through the week with AC and enough leftover for weekend movement. That said, all u gotta do is service with max 15k if u want to stick with manufacturers recommendation( 5w30 oil-7500, denso plugs-3k, oil filter-1500 and labour) and ure good to go.
The Honda is certainly more luxurious, It took a lot of will for me to decide on the corolla but I gotta tell u it was d better choice.
How much did you get it? Whts the price range pls?
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by FlyboyZee: 5:45am On Apr 16, 2015
Kashif:

I did not say as only income. They may most likely have other income streams which I may not be privy to, you know?

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by FlyboyZee: 5:48am On Apr 16, 2015
Kashif:

You must be a magician. 160k + 09/10 civic + school fees + rent + xtended family support? Indeed, I need to get in touch with you bro! See me thinking I am prudent angry angry
There are other income streams which are not regular and as such cannot be classified as monthly salaries. I am sure even the OP may, from time to time make a little bucks on the side, here and there, which he won't classify as monthly pay. Are you telling me that you subsist on your salaries alone? I'm a public servant and from time to time, I run official errands (Duty Tours) for my organization, this also brings in some cash, but it is not monthly and cannot be classified under salaries. I also do some agency works, as in linking buyers to sellers and sellers to buyers, arranging lease/rental agreements and sourcing or supplying materials. I also carry out a little buying and selling on the side, etc...

But the salary is a constant, K and the only one I am sure of every month and the only one I make my plans/budget around, because, no matter as e bad reach, by 27th - 31st, e go done fall in. I hope you get my drift?

8 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by FlyboyZee: 5:51am On Apr 16, 2015
davou4eva:
It does not mean that you must be using the car for all your day to day activities. It might probably be an occasional usage to minimize maintenance activities and expenses but at least you will know that you have a mobility means whenever the need arises and most especially when you have to go out with your spouse and children.
I use my car like every other day. Sometimes, I make airport runs for high net worth individuals. Or run around town with and for them to make some extra cash. But this is usually far in-between.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by IamChiboi(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2015
When I got my Nissan Sentra, I was earning 100k a month and I was 25 then too, lol. I got the car because of the inconvenience of Lagos buses especially stealing in buses and overcrowded bustops during rush hour

5 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Kashif(m): 8:37am On Apr 16, 2015
FlyboyZee:

There are other income streams which are not regular and as such cannot be classified as monthly salaries. I am sure even the OP may, from time to time make a little bucks on the side, here and there, which he won't classify as monthly pay. Are you telling me that you subsist on your salaries alone? I'm a public servant and from time to time, I run official errands (Duty Tours) for my organization, this also brings in some cash, but it is not monthly and cannot be classified under salaries. I also do some agency works, as in linking buyers to sellers and sellers to buyers, arranging lease/rental agreements and sourcing or supplying materials. I also carry out a little buying and selling on the side, etc...

But the salary is a constant, K and the only one I am sure of every month and the only one I make my plans/budget around, because, no matter as e bad reach, by 27th - 31st, e go done fall in. I hope you get my drift?

Makes sense now.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by ogawisdom(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2015
LKO:

Am using a carinaE 4AFE engine n its maintenance is pocket friendly I dnt kw abt golf 3 but frm wat I hear golf could b cheaper esp if its manual tranny. Carina E will give u a better image n its parts to d last bolt n nut are cheap n readily available

@ op on average one shld b able to spend abt 15k monthly on his average car fuel inclusive after all ur other expenses for d month. Now dnt get it twisted its jst an average there r months u will spend more or far less n dt depends on ur usage (fuel comsumption) n which part of d car breaks down n needs replacement. Let's say 15k budget for car maintenance monthly will b more than enough to keep a lot of average small cars on d road, fuel inclusive. There r months u will spend 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k n so on. This will work more for those dt cover less distance with their car monthly n spend less time on traffic. Nt forgetin u must neva hit anoda car or human while on d wheels otherwise ur car ownership experience go turn sour angry

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by blackfm: 9:32am On Apr 16, 2015
dennisbee:

How much did you get it? Whts the price range pls?
I got mine for 850 but the price is between 800- 950 depending on the current state of the car,trim and year

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LKO(m): 10:46am On Apr 16, 2015
ogawisdom:

Am using a carinaE 4AFE engine n its maintenance is pocket friendly I dnt kw abt golf 3 but frm wat I hear golf could b cheaper esp if its manual tranny. Carina E will give u a better image n its parts to d last bolt n nut are cheap n readily available

@ op on average one shld b able to spend abt 15k monthly on his average car fuel inclusive after all ur other expenses for d month. Now dnt get it twisted its jst an average there r months u will spend more or far less n dt depends on ur usage (fuel comsumption) n which part of d car breaks down n needs replacement. Let's say 15k budget for car maintenance monthly will b more than enough to keep a lot of average small cars on d road, fuel inclusive. There r months u will spend 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k n so on. This will work more for those dt cover less distance with their car monthly n spend less time on traffic. Nt forgetin u must neva hit anoda car or human while on d wheels otherwise ur car ownership experience go turn sour angry

Many thanks. U made me laugh so much by saying CarinaE would give me a better image. U are so funny. But I see d CarinaE as more of a family car. Since I m still single for now and still in my twenties, dnt u think the golf 3 would be sweet for me? Thank u.

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by ogawisdom(m): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
LKO:

Many thanks. U made me laugh so much by saying CarinaE would give me a better image. U are so funny. But I see d CarinaE as more of a family car. Since I m still single for now and still in my twenties, dnt u think the golf 3 would be sweet for me? Thank u.

I can't take golf 3 over carina e it is too small for me n I love toyota products. If this is ur first car u beta stay with toyota products. Toyota ve beta second hand value than vw n far more rugged n durable. I ve never used golf 3 but heard a lot of praises for this car frm users esp taxi drivers who claim its cheap to maintain. If u must buy golf 3 stay away frm automatic ones bc those praising it use manuals transmission.
Luckily our kazeens can fix both cars well, golf 3 is cheaper than carina e in terms of purchase price so choose anyone it will serve u well
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LKO(m): 1:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
ogawisdom:

I can't take golf 3 over carina e it is too small for me n I love toyota products. If this is ur first car u beta stay with toyota products. Toyota ve beta second hand value than vw n far more rugged n durable. I ve never used golf 3 but heard a lot of praises for this car frm users esp taxi drivers who claim its cheap to maintain. If u must buy golf 3 stay away frm automatic ones bc those praising it use manuals transmission.
Luckily our kazeens can fix both cars well, golf 3 is cheaper than carina e in terms of purchase price so choose anyone it will serve u well

Thank u. I wud heed ur advise. Since its going to be my first car, I wud go for d 2000 toyota Carina E 1.8L or 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8L. Friends have told me same thing since our technicians seems to be more comfortable with d Toyota brands. Thank u again.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by chucky234(m): 4:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
LKO:
800k + 200k + 100k = N1.1m then I'll dash you already polished two months old 2002 Benz C230.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Builds A Mini Jeep, Calls It Crazy Camel / Male And Female Cobras Killed In A Car / Ghastly Accident Along Ilesha Road Crushed All Passengers Dead(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.