Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? (51401 Views)

Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car / The Time A Car Cost N3,984 In Nigeria In 1982 (Photos) / Python Chilling In A Car Bonnet In Awka (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Horlartunes: 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2019
nurey:

100k can't maintain a car, I disagree with this, a car isn't necessarily be seen as a luxury, but as a means of making life easier. If you spend close to #500 a day for transport come on for a week its #2500 even that I can use for close to a week on a V6 3.0L, I magine if the op was driving a corolla with 1.6L engine or 1.8L engine it will make a lot of sense.

How much does it cost to service a car in a year theoretically
Engine oil 12K x 3
Filter let's say 2K x 3
Brakepads 24k for a year all legs
Miscellaneous 20k
Total for a year 86,000
And you would have earned 1.2m in a year remove the maintenance from it u still have 1.1m to spend

Since I have been using my car for a year (clean title tokunbo) I have not even spent 50k on it for a year I just change oil twice in a year, filter, brakes and light bulbs.

What your car name
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Djmeme: 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2019
I used to think car is a luxury till I got one and can authoritatively tell you it's a necessity.
You can move around very quickly and at your own pace.

I earn less than 100k and own a car.
Most people who have cars are not that rich, some are just packaging.

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Newmans: 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
How much is your rent or do you leave with your parents, if yes carry on but if no plan your feature before car
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by bizhop01: 11:49pm On Jan 18, 2019
Is enough to get motto not car
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by akinsmyk(m): 11:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
nurey:

100k can't maintain a car, I disagree with this, a car isn't necessarily be seen as a luxury, but as a means of making life easier. If you spend close to #500 a day for transport come on for a week its #2500 even that I can use for close to a week on a V6 3.0L, I magine if the op was driving a corolla with 1.6L engine or 1.8L engine it will make a lot of sense.

How much does it cost to service a car in a year theoretically
Engine oil 12K x 3
Filter let's say 2K x 3
Brakepads 24k for a year all legs
Miscellaneous 20k
Total for a year 86,000
And you would have earned 1.2m in a year remove the maintenance from it u still have 1.1m to spend

Since I have been using my car for a year (clean title tokunbo) I have not even spent 50k on it for a year I just change oil twice in a year, filter, brakes and light bulbs.

What about fueling? Fueling a month can be up to 25k or more depending on the car and distance of your work place to office and other places you go. 25k or more x 12 a year + others you analysed above.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by dicksonadams(m): 11:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
fanex:
look for a nicely nigerian used toyota corolla. maintenance wouldnt cost you much.
not just living, quality of life is essential. you will live longer with less stress in your life.

Like how much
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2019
Yes, you can even get a G-wagon lipsrsealed
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Leonardoreel(m): 11:59pm On Jan 18, 2019
coolluk:

I spend like 18k on transport and feeding monthly, my office is close to where i stay and i still stay with my folks and i can comfortably save 60k monthly

Hope that's enough
You spend 18k for both transport and feeding?

Can you break this down pls
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LeonMacJames(m): 12:03am On Jan 19, 2019
Leonardoreel:

I swear I am. As confused as well.. ??

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Hotfreezer: 12:04am On Jan 19, 2019
Leonardoreel:

They feed him
They house him

He doesn't spend much on those two

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Truth3077: 12:05am On Jan 19, 2019
Car is a liability and the cost of maintenance is another thing altogether. Though it will make life much easier for you, I will advise you to make investments so that you have up to three sources of income before getting a car.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Hotfreezer: 12:06am On Jan 19, 2019
Truth3077:
Car is a liability and the cost of maintenance is another thing altogether. Though it will make life much easier for you, I will advise you to make investments so that you have up to three sources of income before getting a car.

Big fat lie
Depends on what you do for a living and your priorities. When your wife and kids are going out and rain starts, it is your sources of income that would protect them from the rain, abi?

Back then, I bought my first car at 25 earning 80k, added an Suv 2 years later working on my own.

My first car was bought cos my clients needed to know that despite being young, I wasn't hungry or intending to run with their money. It made me bill more and increase my revenue. I made the money for the car in 1 month.

Investments and streams of income are very important. But saying a car is a liability, na big lie. Except you're comfortable begging for rides about with your family in tow.

12 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Leonardoreel(m): 12:10am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:
Thanks guys for the contributions but basically what I am seeing here are two school of thoughts, people who see a car as luxury and those who see it as a necessity

Some peeps view jumping from keke to danfo, danfo to okada, fighting with conductor and so on as a way of life

isn't investing in ur life, comfort, and so on part of an investment??
Why do you wanna be in your comfort zone at ur age, you should be more concerned on how to acquire more wealth and not on how to spend the little you have on worldly things.

Gentleman, be patient, is there job security in what you do that you have already assumed nothing can happen to you at work, God forbid, what if you eventually loose that job after getting the car?, Do you have anything you rely on except that job.

Keep saving man and try make research on what you can invest on.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by airex(m): 12:13am On Jan 19, 2019
Ease of movement ie eko for show, I strongly advice you use that money to buy a land, it will appreciate over time,100k basic is a no salary to use to maintain a car
Tah there. 100k is more than enough to maintain a car with even a v6 engine

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by MsGood(f): 12:14am On Jan 19, 2019
SamuelTurner:
I tell you say na me post am... Why the quoting??
I obviously made a mistake. You don't have to be a dick about it!
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Leonardoreel(m): 12:18am On Jan 19, 2019
elewedu:
I bought my first car while earning arround 100k.I must confess it didnt change much in my spending pattern,since I bought a very small one (toyota paseo) with extremely low fuel consumption and maintenance cost. I am on my second car now, a bigger one, but very reliable one again. I spend a little above 2k weekly, and I have not had to do any major maintenance for the past 9months. My advice is that, at that level of income, the best that can happen to you is to buy a very reliable one with very low fuel consumption. Beware of cars with expensive parts and crazy fuel consumption...and finally beware of Niger used, dont be penny wise pounds foolish. Cheers
Why do you reason like this, wonder if you would give same advice if eventually you wanna sell your used car and the guy is the buyer...

Instead of saying he should beware of 9ja used car, why not advice him to take his trusted engineer along to inspect the car before buying...

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by hesilo(m): 12:21am On Jan 19, 2019
needful:
Pls get urself a very good car. Am on a 100k salary and I drive Rav4 2002 old generation model. My brother, to be sincere with u, I use 2500 fuel every week and am happy for that. No extra cost bro, go for ur mind and stop listening to all that negative thought.
How much is the cost please
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by 2sexycom(m): 12:22am On Jan 19, 2019
sometimes i wonder if modes are stupid or something... how can u move a thread from 2015 to front page as if economics index then and now are same?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by FruitCakes(f): 12:24am On Jan 19, 2019
since 2015 hmmm

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Arckeen: 12:24am On Jan 19, 2019
fanex:
look for a nicely nigerian used toyota corolla. maintenance wouldnt cost you much.
not just living, quality of life is essential. you will live longer with less stress in your life.
wby Nigerian used?
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Ellaelite(f): 12:24am On Jan 19, 2019
chucky234:
1500 on fuel daily ? You must be cruising around town in a Bulldozer

No body has even concord with him. Na only him no where he dey use 1500 fuel go daily

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 12:33am On Jan 19, 2019
Download this trending song from a nairalander http://www.naijapals.com/music/Searching_for_love_Xpol-89179
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Leonardoreel(m): 12:38am On Jan 19, 2019
Wait a minute
I just noticed the date this thread was opened
2015 n it reached FP in 2019.

Now I believe there can be delay in your success but it can never be denied...

But what actually caught the attention of this thread to Grace FP now, 100k in 2015 is like 200k now cuz I remembered I got my 1st TV in 2015 for 45k and that same TV cost 98k now.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Babysho(m): 12:40am On Jan 19, 2019
Ease of movement ie eko for show, I strongly advice you use that money to buy a land, it will appreciate over time,100k basic is a no salary to use to maintain a car

Lol well said like a true mainland guy in love with his danfo.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by anayolity: 12:41am On Jan 19, 2019
All these Nairaland Op's reach to kick for blokos .... since 2015 nah now una head boot!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Olumyyde(m): 12:42am On Jan 19, 2019
Conflicting views, guy, if u wanna make a move, make it already. cheers!!!
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Barezzi(m): 12:42am On Jan 19, 2019
Since 2015!! Where's the OP sef? I hope say the car never kill am angry

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by NwaliE01: 12:43am On Jan 19, 2019
Bro, at 24 i was already leaving in my own house.
I earned a little above 100k ie about 6 years ago.

I prioritised my expenditures and i discovered that i needed to put structure on ground that would make me acquire as much luxury as i wanted in the future.

Car was not my priority but today i can tell you that at 28years then, i bought my second luxury ride (camry muscle)
And this year i will be 30years and i already have 5 flats for rent and other landed property. I shared alittle about myself to let you know that there are more you can do even as a young man other than luxury.

You said your office is not far from your house, then why buying a car?

I suggest you should keep saving your earnings, ideas will come over time on what to invest your resource into.

Thanks.

8 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by ceezermills: 12:44am On Jan 19, 2019
coolluk:
Hi Guys

I have a job and i earn 100k per month and i am thinking of getting a car(been on the job for a bit), but i am planning maybe year ending, i want some advise from my good people in the house if it would be advisable.

P.S - i dont have much responsiblity at the moment i am 25 and i am also bettering myself with some certifications.

Thanks as you advise and not insult me, lol

Please can this topic get to front page? thanks

First of all, it’s depends on the kind of car you want to buy.

I earn 3 times of that money from my Job and I don’t think of getting a ride, because I can’t deal with Lagos traffic, it’s crazy out there.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by MzTunechi(f): 12:45am On Jan 19, 2019
Barezzi:
Since 2015!! Where's the OP sef? I hope say the car never kill am angry
LMAO!! Be nice
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by CuddleBear(f): 12:47am On Jan 19, 2019
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by bejick(m): 12:52am On Jan 19, 2019
Don't know about where you are talking about but here in lagos to enter transport to work cost approximately 500 but to fuel a car I will spend 1500 a day (residents of iyanoba to orile lagos can attest to this) So tell me, if I earn 100k and spending 1500×5, you tell me how much it is, the truth should be said, for a guy at his age and status car is a luxury to him, why not he saves that money or invest and when he can earn 150 or even 200 then he is good to afford such luxury
He can be picking passengers while going to and fro work to pay for fuel. Sense will not kee me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Male And Female Cobras Killed In A Car / Ghastly Accident Along Ilesha Road Crushed All Passengers Dead(Graphic Photos) / Man Converts His Mercedes Benz To Rolls Royce (pics/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.