Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,774 members, 7,831,488 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? (51364 Views)

Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car / The Time A Car Cost N3,984 In Nigeria In 1982 (Photos) / Python Chilling In A Car Bonnet In Awka (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by woltom(m): 8:43am On Apr 19, 2015
My very candid advice to you!

At 25, you should no longer be staying with folks while working. Your priority should be getting ur own place even if its a decent Miniflat.

You wonna buy a car while squarting with ppl? You remind mi of a scenario I withnessed. The guy bought a car while staying with his elder brother that assumed major financial responsibility at home including all bills and feeding.

It suddenly dawned on the brother that he had so much money to throw around. He withdrew all financial support he had given him and his wife made things worse for him.

An intelligent man will not buy a car until he has his own accomodation. You wonna bring girls with ur car to another person's house.
I laugh you! It is either you release your car to be used at will by the people you live with or face their wrath

Also in ur office enviroment, are people on the same salary with you driving cars? Else you wonna put urself in problem, all fingers relating to fraud will point to you even if are not involved in such.

Maintaining a car goes beyond just fueling, they will never tell you the truth. You are not buying a brand new car afterall expect any unexpected expenses. And to crown it all, you wonna buy a nigerian used EOD at 650k and you expect to only buy fuel and drain oils.

I pity you! Na basket you won design for ur salary

Pls learn to put things in order of importance in life.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 19, 2015
woltom:

At 25, you should no longer be staying with folks while working. Your priority should be getting ur own place even if its a decent Miniflat.

You wonna buy a car while squarting with ppl? You remind mi of a scenario I withnessed. The guy bought a car while staying with his elder brother that assumed major financial responsibility at home including all bills and feeding.

It suddenly dawned on the brother that he had so much money to throw around. He withdrew all financial support he had given him and his wife made things worse for him.

An intelligent man will not buy a car until he has his own accomodation. You wonna bring girls with ur car to another person's house.
I laugh you! It is either you release your car to be used at will by the people you live with or face their wrath

Also in ur office enviroment, are people on the same salary with you driving cars? Else you wonna put urself in problem, all fingers relating to fraud will point to you even if are not involved in such.

Maintaining a car goes beyond just fueling, they will never tell you the truth. You are not buying a brand new car afterall expect any unexpected expenses. And to crown it all, you wonna buy a nigerian used EOD at 650k and you expect to only buy fuel and drain oils.

grin

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
woltom:

Word!!

12 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by coolluk(m): 2:07pm On Apr 19, 2015
woltom:

Nigerians and our comical way of advising, lol, thanx bro

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stancity(m): 6:29pm On Apr 19, 2015
woltom:

This write-up just wrapped up the whole ideas being poured out here.... @ OP, A word is enough for the wise!!

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Acidosis(m): 6:44pm On Apr 19, 2015
Out of N100k, you spend N18k monthly?

Impressive!

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by needful: 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2015
Pls get urself a very good car. Am on a 100k salary and I drive Rav4 2002 old generation model. My brother, to be sincere with u, I use 2500 fuel every week and am happy for that. No extra cost bro, go for ur mind and stop listening to all that negative thought.

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Lordscrown(m): 5:48pm On Apr 25, 2015
Guy,u r correct guy,plz kiss me...I love ur explaination baje..I wonder why ppl reason,"if u don't own a land,u r nobody"..I beg everything has time and season..plz op,go for an easily well maintained car jewe.cruise ursev and reserve the rest to acquire land wen time comes jor.
nurey:

100k can't maintain a car, I disagree with this, a car isn't necessarily be seen as a luxury, but as a means of making life easier. If you spend close to #500 a day for transport come on for a week its #2500 even that I can use for close to a week on a V6 3.0L, I magine if the op was driving a corolla with 1.6L engine or 1.8L engine it will make a lot of sense.

How much does it cost to service a car in a year theoretically
Engine oil 12K x 3
Filter let's say 2K x 3
Brakepads 24k for a year all legs
Miscellaneous 20k
Total for a year 86,000
And you would have earned 1.2m in a year remove the maintenance from it u still have 1.1m to spend

Since I have been using my car for a year (clean title tokunbo) I have not even spent 50k on it for a year I just change oil twice in a year, filter, brakes and light bulbs.

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 26, 2015
Lordscrown:
Guy,u r correct guy,plz kiss me ...I love ur explaination baje..I wonder why ppl reason,"if u don't own a land,u r nobody"..I beg everything has time and season..plz op,go for an easily well maintained car jewe.cruise ursev and reserve the rest to acquire land wen time comes jor.
Gay alert... Nurey...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by nurey(m): 9:28am On Apr 26, 2015
lomomike:

Gay alert... Nurey...

Firewall mode activated. Lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Mueeze(m): 12:25pm On Apr 26, 2015
My Candid Advice is based on my personal experience.

I live in Iju Ishaga and work in Alausa Ikeja. I earn a little less than 100k and I own a 2000 model Toyota Corolla.

To get me to and from work on a daily basis using public transport cost about N400. In a week, that's N2000. I fuel the car with N2000 weekly and it's enough to take me to and from work everyday including the trip to church on Sunday and hanging out with my people sometimes on Saturdays and Sunday. So I save more on transportation.

The stress you go through using public transportation is crazy. I resume work by 9 a.m. If am to go by public transport, then I have to leave home as early as 6:30 am, pick a bike to the bus stop or trek and be tired b4 you get there (Access Road is not tarred. Rainy season is mud, dry season is dust. God bless you, you have a presentation that morning and you are dressed up in your best suit and a crazy driver speeds past you in any of the seasons. I leave what could happen to your imagination). Then you struggle to get a bus to Agege with students who don't mind to stain your white shirt and buses that can tear your shirt.

You get to Agege and queue for a bus which will take a between 30mins to 1 hour before you get on it. Those who pass through that route or have experienced it will know what I am saying.

Finally, you get to work around 8:30, sweaty, feeling tired and not ready for the days work.

But when I go out with the car, which is obviously my preferred choice, I leave home between 7:30 am and 8:00 am, get to work b4 9am looking sharp and ready for the day after eating breakfast b4 leaving home which is more savings to my pocket rather than eating out if I have to go via public transport. I could even package the food and take to work in the car, something I can't don't in a public bus.

Mind you, i got the car as a direct toks with slightly over 100,000 miles on it over 2 years ago and the highest I have ever spent on it at a time is N13,000 and that is to buy a new battery. Replacement parts costs as low as N1000 sometimes and the car does not break down. I only do routine maintenance. Oil and filter change, brake pads e.t.c. All of which is less than 5k.

The long and short of my sermon is, with 100k salary, you can conveniently maintain a car that is within your financial capacity if you know what you are doing. But after getting your priorities right. Like a place of your own and being responsible for yourself.

22 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by tonero230(m): 8:20pm On Apr 26, 2015
coolluk:

Bro its not like i wanna buy a range rover, just for ease of movement and life in general

PS- i work in an office and d car is not for business

Do you know with that amount monthly,if you have wisdom and save much,you can start from grass to grace.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Bossken(m): 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
Well you all have spoken well. But i will encourage this guy to go ahead and get a nigerian used car which is still ok. though there is no way u wont buy a naija used car and it will be void of issues. of cos it is a gradual thing and effective planning can make you achieve anything dream of urs. i earn less than 200k and i use an EOD. i dont drive it evryday of the week but i enjoy it because i bought it as a necessity. a car for me is not a luxur, its actually to ease ur sef with some basic movements.
Go ahead my guy and achieve ur plan.

6 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by davou4eva(m): 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
coolluk:

Thanks, A Honda Accord fits this bill right?

It all depends on the model, year and the condition of the car.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 28, 2015
coolluk:

Bro its not like i wanna buy a range rover, just for ease of movement and life in general

PS- i work in an office and d car is not for business
I'd advice you to get a 2008 Range Rover sports ... from me, in Abuja. mention me for more talk
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by DGD1(m): 7:50pm On Apr 28, 2015
shadowgwalker:
I'd advice you to get a 2008 Range Rover sports ... from me, in Abuja. mention me for more talk

lolz ...... (falls off the chair)

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by coolluk(m): 8:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
DGD1:

lolz ...... (falls off the chair)

Grabs his chair

Bros u no sell Porsche cayenne too?

2 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by gocare: 4:19pm On Apr 30, 2015
This whole jist is soooo funny. Some people think cos dev suffered others must suffer. Car get grade, your level determines the moto, car is a serious necessity, after buying the car Ur salary won't stop coming, so u can still save for other things eg land and wedding. From now till when u marry u can save, buy your car, work harder, get promoted inshallah or get a better paid job, or join business to Ur job sef. Suffer head does not mean you would make it. Depriving Ur self of something you can afford is confam suffer head, when u Dont even know when the world wud end. Na wa o.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by iamSi(m): 4:22am On May 02, 2015
if you need I have a Toks contact me by sending mails I will send in the pics ... location is Ibadan
LKO:

Thank u. I wud heed ur advise. Since its going to be my first car, I wud go for d 2000 toyota Carina E 1.8L or 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8L. Friends have told me same thing since our technicians seems to be more comfortable with d Toyota brands. Thank u again.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Belvinho(m): 11:14pm On May 02, 2015
The OP did not give out a lot of information as to the the type of family he's from, the part of Lagos where he lives and works as well as the period of the day he works. In my opinion, nothing beats comfort and a stress free life. A car right now is a necessity and not a luxury and is part of the must haves if one doesn't wanna have gray hair before turning 40.

There are many ways of reducing expenses on car maintenance. For example, OP works at Victoria Island but stays at Ogba. When heading to work in the morning, OP picks up 4 people heading to work on the Island which currently costs #300. OP makes #1200 just heading to work. At the end of work, OP heads home with another 4 people making #1200 again. The people he's picking up need the ride to and from the Island, Op only needs to head to and from work with the car he can afford. He makes #2400 picking up people heading to and from work.

1. In conclusion, will the car be a drain to his salary?
2. Will OP be spending his salary fueling and taking care his car?
3. Do you guys know the conditions making him to stay with his parents? Eg. parents are aging with nobody to run around and do some house chores.
4. Is the embarrassment and inconvenience of taking public transport worth it when the difference between taking public transport and owning a car is the amount needed to purchase the car.

My simple and little understanding of the topic in discussion.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Stylaay(m): 1:35am On May 03, 2015
I started out with a golf 3 earning 59k in Abuja. If u think a car is a luxury in Abuja try taking taxis and nobody will tell u. I have moved to my second car and earn about 100k and still pay am exorbitant house rent. If u are bizness minded when person call u to meet him in 20 mins for a deal enta public trans see na. I spend almost an hour from my home the office using public trans bug with my ride 15 mins na sure

9 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by jasper83: 11:52am On May 03, 2015
This my piece of advice is to all, that we should always differentiate between a need and a want. Though is not a bad thing to wanna have a ride, infact it shouldn't be a luxury if all things are equal. I closely observed from experience that it is we the children of average/below average homes things like this freak alot. Imagine a child whose dad n mum owns a car and throughout cradle to early childhood to primary to secondary and tertiary he was privilege to be chauffeur driven or play around dad n mum's car, hurriedly owning a car wouldn't be a freak.

I remember my days in Unilag, whenever a yahoo guy hits money the first thing on their mind is owning a car and an intimidating one at that, and eventually wen water don pass garri they sell off at a ridiculous price and a back to square one. So why the rush in life, and moreover the societal expectations around you will rise. Pple will think u don arrive, turning you into a money lender, and if u dnt measure up na wahala be dat. Av aa re think and safe ur head for now.

My personal experience now, I'm 33 yrs and I earn 110k, my wife is a serving corp member and my son is just 3months. I started working like 2 yrs now afta service. Though I am nt regretting because give or take i dey progress in life gradually but I Neva knew family life in Naija is quite challenging. My house rent alone a mini flat around ikeja is 200k, my baby alone takes 20k monthly(baby food+diaper). Talkless for our own feeding and other utilities, and family expenses.

Initially I tot I was earning good until bukata(responsibilities wan tear ma pocket) lol. My wife and i are seriously thinking of how to generate more sources for the family in other to be balanced financially, wen I was I like u I could Av generated another way, salary walahi no be am.

Back to the OP, infact I they envy you. This is the best time of ur life to triple ur income and be financially independent because the economy of this country is uncertain, God forbids, job loss nko. Try and establish yourself now, family pple will never tell u all this unless u bcom one. Pls forgive me for my epistle, save for the raining day and make ur hay while the sun shine. #Wisdom....

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by coolluk(m): 10:51am On May 04, 2015
jasper83:
This my piece of advice is to all, that we should always differentiate between a need and a want. Though is not a bad thing to wanna have a ride, infact it shouldn't be a luxury if all things are equal. I closely observed from experience that it is we the children of average/below average homes things like this freak alot. Imagine a child whose dad n mum owns a car and throughout cradle to early childhood to primary to secondary and tertiary he was privilege to be chauffeur driven or play around dad n mum's car, hurriedly owning a car wouldn't be a freak.

I remember my days in Unilag, whenever a yahoo guy hits money the first thing on their mind is owning a car and an intimidating one at that, and eventually wen water don pass garri they sell off at a ridiculous price and a back to square one. So why the rush in life, and moreover the societal expectations around you will rise. Pple will think u don arrive, turning you into a money lender, and if u dnt measure up na wahala be dat. Av aa re think and safe ur head for now.

My personal experience now, I'm 33 yrs and I earn 110k, my wife is a serving corp member and my son is just 3months. I started working like 2 yrs now afta service. Though I am nt regretting because give or take i dey progress in life gradually but I Neva knew family life in Naija is quite challenging. My house rent alone a mini flat around ikeja is 200k, my baby alone takes 20k monthly(baby food+diaper). Talkless for our own feeding and other utilities, and family expenses.

Initially I tot I was earning good until bukata(responsibilities wan tear ma pocket) lol. My wife and i are seriously thinking of how to generate more sources for the family in other to be balanced financially, wen I was I like u I could Av generated another way, salary walahi no be am.

Back to the OP, infact I they envy you. This is the best time of ur life to triple ur income and be financially independent because the economy of this country is uncertain, God forbids, job loss nko. Try and establish yourself now, family pple will never tell u all this unless u bcom one. Pls forgive me for my epistle, save for the raining day and make ur hay while the sun shine. #Wisdom....

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

4 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by deathwing(m): 1:41pm On May 04, 2015
jasper83:

I am confused. So the OP should not buy car because responsibilities may soon come? I honestly don't understand the point.

3 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by DGD1(m): 2:12pm On May 04, 2015
deathwing:

I am confused. So the OP should not buy car because responsibilities may soon come? I honestly don't understand the point.

I think he should explain further, since the car is not eko for show, Belvinho has said it all, you make 2400naira daily when you remove fueling @ least 1500 left, in a month 1500x5x4 = 30000 by the way you have increased your income no need to fuel because it has bin taken care of.
by the way its the same time, energy it will cost you if you are alone in the car or you pick passengers so its a win-win thing.

1 Like

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by deathwing(m): 2:42pm On May 04, 2015
Well, i guess we all have our different reasons, i have small responsibilities, but i am willing to half my savings o get a small car to make life easier/more profitable. I work in the creative industry, so 'packaging' is kinda important...you never know when you will meet your personal big break. I have to be able to put a price on my work that is backed up by some level of affluence/packaging.

I can't be billing clients 80k for a design when they saw me coming down from bus grin grin

I am an introvert..and almost antisocial because i don't like entering bus with all its attendant noise and shakara. If getting a small Kia Picanto will make my life easier and perhaps help me keep important appointments...so be it o! I can't rationalize buying car by calculating transport costs and whatnot.

In-fact, transport to my working place costs me 2.5k per month...so my car will only be for weekend movements and perhaps road trips. I am currently learning how to drive. I do believe opportunities will come that will make the car more than worth it

16 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Spydamannn(m): 11:28pm On May 11, 2015
Wisdom is on this thread...op go for your heart desire...Na only you know how bad you need am and you can get it if you really want

5 Likes

Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by deathwing(m): 10:49am On May 14, 2015
Any other thoughts?
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by LKO(m): 11:09am On May 14, 2015
Stylaay:
I started out with a golf 3 earning 59k in Abuja. If u think a car is a luxury in Abuja try taking taxis and nobody will tell u. I have moved to my second car and earn about 100k and still pay am exorbitant house rent. If u are bizness minded when person call u to meet him in 20 mins for a deal enta public trans see na. I spend almost an hour from my home the office using public trans bug with my ride 15 mins na sure

Sir, what was ur experience with the golf 3 car? Is golf 3 a good buy in terms of cheap fuelling and maintenance? I intend getting a toks golf 3, but evry one keeps telling me to get a 2000 toyota carina E instead because according to them golf 3 is a no go area as mechanics would destroy it for me. Pls advice me.
Re: 100k Salary Enough To Get A Car? by Acidosis(m): 11:27am On May 14, 2015
This thread is front page worthy.

cc Seun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Container Falls On Range Rover In Oyo, Truck Driver Flees (Pictures) / 2019 Toyota Hiace Bus Unveiled (photos) / Top 10 Most Expensive SUV 2015 (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.