Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles (42443 Views)

BBC: Nigeria Police Fire At Celebrating Biafra Supporters / BBC: Nigeria Girls Remembered One Year On / BBC Nigeria Election: First Results Expected on Tuesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 11, 2015
Nigeria's 36 state governors wield enormous power and influence - some have control of budgets larger than neighbouring countries.

This weekend Nigerians will be voting for 29 of them - two weeks after the historic vote which saw veteran opposition candidate Muhammadu Buhari defeat Goodluck Jonathan, the incumbent president.

It will also be a titanic battle between Mr Jonathan's People's Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) of Gen Buhari.

Here are the five most important battlegrounds:

Map showing the political controlling parties by state in Nigeria

Lagos
The commercial hub of the country, it has been under the opposition rule since the return of democracy in 1999. It is estimated to have a GDP of $91bn (£62bn), higher than 42 countries in Africa, according one of the candidates for governor.

Although cosmopolitan, the state had two Muslim governors in the last 16 years, including the outgoing Babatunde Fashola credited with transforming its chaotic nature with various development projects.

In an attempt to balance the equation, two Christians are now vying for the top job: Akinwumi Ambode of the APC and Jimi Agbaje of the PDP.

A shoe-mender works near a poster campaigning for frontline contender and Lagos governorship candidate for the People's Democratic Party (PDP)

The PDP did fairly well in the presidential vote in Lagos, so it is going to be a tight race - and its candidate is very popular within the Igbo community, which controls substantial business enterprises.

It will be the biggest blow to the incoming government if it loses Lagos, which is the most populous and industrialised state with the highest non-oil revenue earnings.

Rivers
This is a battle for the control of the largest oil wells in the country.

A PDP stronghold, it has been a flash point of violence in the run-up to the elections, with APC saying 55 of its members have been killed.

Some estimates put the GPD of oil-rich Rivers state at $21bn but there have been tensions in Rivers during this election season

The outgoing governor, Rotimi Amaechi, was elected on a PDP ticket four years ago but defected to join the APC and led Gen Buhari's campaign.

Many see him as an "unpatriotic son" of the Niger Delta who fought against his fellow southerner, Mr Jonathan.

His chosen successor is the APC's Dakuku Peterside.

However, the powerful first lady, Patience Jonathan, who hails from the state, is backing the PDP's Nyesom Wike.
The task ahead of the winner will be to mediate between multi-national oil firms and the disgruntled communities who complain of environmental pollution and neglect.

Kaduna
The beating heart of northern politics - many of the political elite live there - it also tends be a political melting point as the state is divided with Muslims in the north and Christians in the south

It has witnessed much ethno-religious violence in which thousands of people died since 1999.

Nigerians vote in Kaduna, Nigeria - 28 March 2015

Kaduna has a mixed population with both Christians and Muslims

The APC has fielded Nasir El-Rufai, the former minister of Abuja who transformed the capital into a modern city and demolished illegal structures.

The incumbent PDP governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero is under intense pressure as the APC won the state in the presidential vote. Mr Yero came to power two years ago after the death in a plane crash of the only Christian governor of Kaduna.

Whoever wins faces the task of promoting peace amongst the diverse ethnic groups, especially between Fulani herdsmen and farming communities.

Taraba
History could be made in this impoverished state close to the Cameroonian border if Aisha Jummai Alhassan of the APC wins, becoming Nigeria's first female governor.
Aisha Jummai Alhassan

Could Aisha Jummai Alhassan become Nigeria's first female governor?

A former court worker and a Muslim, she faces a hurdle in a state where Christians have ruled for the last 16 years.
Her PDP opponent, Darius Ishaku, is a former minister who has the support of mostly Christian communities and has a financial backer with deep pockets.

Taraba is equally divided between Muslim and Christian, and also faces ethnic and religious problems.

And while Ms Alhassan is popular amongst Muslims, she may find it difficult to attract the more conservative Muslim voters.

Imo
At the heart of the south-east and home to the Igbo ethnic group, the people overwhelmingly voted for PDP in the presidential and parliamentary elections. However, the incumbent APC governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha, is by no means a write-off. Rochas Okorocha is an important figure within the APC...He is powerful within the APC - and the region may feel it needs someone with influence to fight their corner with the incoming APC government.

He faces the PDP's Emeka Ihedioha, the outgoing deputy speaker of the House of Representatives who has the important backing of Mr Jonathan.

Emeka Ihedioha
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32239420

5 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Pavore9: 5:29am On Apr 11, 2015
Following....but am more interested in my home state, Imo. l know ihitte Uboma will be vote massively for APC as per the speaker's zone but that Ben Uwajimogwu (speaker) him way no pure at all! cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 5:30am On Apr 11, 2015
Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by icon8: 5:32am On Apr 11, 2015
Fair analysis

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by kliq(m): 5:35am On Apr 11, 2015
JK OK

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by agarawu23(m): 5:35am On Apr 11, 2015
let's pray for God interference, that's the most important thing.

click like if you want the change to continue flowing
share if you want to remain stagnant after 16years

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 11, 2015
They forgot Nasarawa though. Like for Al makura of APC , share for Labaran Maku of APGA.

41 Likes 55 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by makzeze: 5:49am On Apr 11, 2015
At the end of the election, APC is going to win 70% of the states.

Kaduna sai gajere(short man) i.e. el-rufai

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by oluwafemi113(m): 6:11am On Apr 11, 2015

Its 11th day of April year 2015, its going to be historical in Yoruba history and we will all know if we learnt at all from Afonja and Alimi scenario in Ilorin or we didn't learn at all. Now that the new Afonja by the name Jimi Agbaje is selling us to Igbo people just to get a mandate he will never get lagbara awon to nile, to te ile Yoruba do, we must all rise and say NO to such act, so if you are in lagos, ogun , or oyo? Kindly dust your pvc now and let's bury this capitalist calling themselves pdp, throws them into lagoon as our oba has instructed and never may we see them in Yoruba land again. Ile yi agbe wa taya tomo, tebi tara ooo.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 11, 2015
In as much as Jimi is my preferred candidate, i can't possibly ignore the fact that he divided us along ethnic lines..Lagos state which pride itself as a home for all, is now battling for Supremacy between the Yoruba's and the igbos. that is really pathetic...Jimi destroyed our Lagos, My lagos, your lagos.. History will never forget him..

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Medley(m): 6:19am On Apr 11, 2015
they won't be surprises in this election. PDP has a master plan to win rivers,but Tinubu will rather sell lagos than see PDP take lagos. Lets just hope the rigging won't be too much.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by naturally: 6:23am On Apr 11, 2015
What of Benue and Nassarawa

4 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by ekkywolex(m): 6:24am On Apr 11, 2015
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by eben2020(m): 6:24am On Apr 11, 2015
Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Collynzo9: 6:25am On Apr 11, 2015
APGA is a bigger challenge for Rochas than PDP

7 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by lonngmann(m): 6:26am On Apr 11, 2015
Okay o
Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by adioolayi(m): 6:27am On Apr 11, 2015
Oh Lord....I sincerely pray that your will be done in OYO State...Forward ever, backward never. Peace and tranquility to continue....holliganism, vandalism and state of lawlessness never to return. (Amen)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Collynzo9: 6:28am On Apr 11, 2015
olatunji21:
In as much as Jimi is my preferred candidate, i can't possibly ignore the fact that he divided us along ethnic lines..Lagos state which pride itself as a home for all, is now battling for Supremacy between the Yoruba's and the igbos. that is really pathetic...Jimi destroyed our Lagos, My lagos, your lagos.. History will never forget him..
How did he do it?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by kayboy4y(m): 6:32am On Apr 11, 2015
Very true. But it seems it seems they forgot to mention Niger, Jigawa and even Nasarawa states. #Votenotfight

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 6:34am On Apr 11, 2015
Jimi did not divide lagos along ethnic lines rather fashola govt did by deporting some Igbos and closing ladipo market, another thing they did is not giving non indigenes appointment event when they contribute so much to the building of lagos. that some Igbos will not vote for apc is as a result of this this policy of govt
olatunji21:

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by gists: 6:38am On Apr 11, 2015
olatunji21:
In as much as Jimi is my preferred candidate, i can't possibly ignore the fact that he divided us along ethnic lines. Lagos state which pride itself as a home for all, is now battling for Supremacy between the Yoruba's and the igbos. that is really pathetic...Jimi destroyed our Lagos, My lagos, your lagos.. History will never forget him..
Precisely my point. If for nothing else, for creating ethnic tension in Lagos alone is enough to vote Ambode and send Jimi to political exile not only in Lagos but in the entire SW politics. If anything happens in Lagos, it will have massive effect across the country all because some daunce chemist want to take power by promoting ethnic divide in Lagos and support the idea of calling his homeland a no mans land. What a way to throw away your heritage; what a shame.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Idrismusty97(m): 6:39am On Apr 11, 2015

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 11, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Jimi did not divide lagos along ethnic lines rather fashola govt did by deporting some Igbos and closing ladipo market, another thing they did is not giving non indigenes appointment event when they contribute so much to the building of lagos. that some Igbos will not vote for apc is as a result of this this policy of govt
Fashola is never an ethnic bigot neither is he a religious bigot, Igbos were repatriated not deported, Peter Obi used that to play Politics, Ladipo market was closed For Sanitation, Joe igbokwe is APC publicity secretary in Lagos, Prof Ben Akabueze is Lagos state commissioner for budget and Economic planning for the past 12years, what else do u want Governor? or deputy?

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by chidiebere2020(m): 6:45am On Apr 11, 2015
Jk we knw

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by uaccurate: 6:46am On Apr 11, 2015
PDP will win in imo

2 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by adeoladrg(m): 6:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Inability to communicate well or not, Ambo is a good
candidate. But Jimi Agbaje is all round better.

I trusted him with my health for 27 years. I can trust him with my vote.

Moreover, LAGOS means

Let
Agbaje
Govern
Our
State

Jaykay we know. Jaykay we want!

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nobody: 6:49am On Apr 11, 2015
gists:

Precisely my point. If for nothing else, for creating ethnic tension in Lagos alone is enough to vote Ambode and send Jimi to political exile not only in Lagos but in the entire SW politics. If anything happens in Lagos, it will have massive effect across the country all because some daunce chemist want to take power by promoting ethnic divide in Lagos and support the idea of calling his homeland a no mans land. What a way to throw away your heritage; what a shame.
Its such a Shame.. That's the only reason I wil Vote Ambode

20 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by chidiebere2020(m): 6:51am On Apr 11, 2015
gists:

hw did jimi create ethnic tension, for ur info everybody has the right to vote who ever he/she want,

29 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Akshow: 6:56am On Apr 11, 2015
I pray the female aspirant wins

12 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by Nuvally: 6:56am On Apr 11, 2015
JK go win Lagos shaa!

I love Imo people for one thing, they don't believe in sentiments. Rochas messed up, and they are ready to Vote him out.

I think APC got Kaduna.

Rotimi lost Rivers a long time ago.

For Taraba, I can't say

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by pat077: 6:58am On Apr 11, 2015
what about oyo state where any of d five major candidates could emerge winner.

3 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigeria's Top Five Governor Battles by gists: 6:59am On Apr 11, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Pls just shut the crap up. I have tried not to make too much comments on this topic, but some of you (truth be told there are many sensible people among Igbos) are just plain fo0lish to say the least.

What did you do when your fellow Igbo man in Abia sacked non indigenes - even those from other Igbo states? Has anybody sacked anybody in Lagos on the ground of his tribe? Did Fashola deport repatriate only Igbo desitituddes? What about those repatriated to other SW states? What about those repatriated and sent packing from Akwa Ibom? Did Yorubas cried to the heavens for those repatriations? And why on earth are some people thinking government appointments as their rights? Even though Lagos as at this moment still remain the only state in the country to have commissioner from other tribe. How many non-igbos have been given appointment in the entire SE?

Sometimes I don't even get some of you guys. On one hand you want political appointment in Lagos, while on the other hand you don't want want to have anything to do with Awolowo people.
“That short man called Ngige, we gave him power and he went and joined Awolowo’s people; the people that killed the Igbos."
Source: Arthur Eze http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/149541-anambra-poll-ive-told-governor-obi-hand-tony-nwoye.html

Ambode by the special grace of God will win Lagos and that fo0l trying to cause ethnic divide in Lagos will be out to shame forever

55 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Army Kills Ameer Abubakar Gana, Boko Haram Leader And 18 Members / Types Of Nigeria Senators / Tinubu Meets With Ooni Of Ife, Osun Traditional Rulers (Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.