Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,999 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Any Cure For Stammering? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Any Cure For Stammering? (14093 Views)

Please Any Remedy For Stammering / HERBS For Permanent Cure For STAMMERING/STUTTERING / Stammering Is Killing Me - I Can't Even Talk To A Woman - Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Cure For Stammering? by steinalb(m): 5:56pm On Jan 28, 2009
Please ladies and ghettomen,
Is there any cure for stammering?
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Sissy3(f): 6:01am On Apr 23, 2009
i dont think there is any cure for stammering pele embarassed
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by keyremotes(m): 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
~Sissy~:

i dont think there is any cure for stammering pele embarassed
Who told you that Sissy?
I was born a stammerer I have been able to overcome it.

steinalb:

Any cure for stammering

All you need do is take charge of your nerves and don't allow people to rush you when speaking.
You have to really calm down and relax.

You'll find out that with time you are in control.

I overcame mine in 1995 and guess what?
I even preach in Church.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by mukina2: 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2009
Keyremotes has a point.

i talk very fast and used to stammer badly.

I learnt how to control it,If i want to say a word and i notice i am stuck, i stop and i start again slowly, its hard to do and i end up in tears but it worked. now i do not stammer when i talk though i  talk  very fast, i only stammer when am angry embarassed embarassed
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by beneli(m): 1:38pm On Apr 24, 2009
@poster

Yes.

Here are some simple do- it-yourself steps that you can try.

1. Learn to pause before you want to say anything.
2. Speak more slowly-don't feel presured by anybody or by circumstances
3. Don't always expect that you will stammer or stutter-it will become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Instead, try to 'mentalise' what you want to say first.i.e. say it to yourself first subvocally.
4. Don't bottle things in, only to blurt them out all together. So when you're feeling pressured or stressed out do a simple relaxation exercise (breath in while slowly counting up to 3 in your mind, hold your breath again while counting up to 3 and then breath out the same way). That should calm you down a bit!

5. But always be patient with yourself and say what you want to say in your own words!

Good luck

ps: if it's debilitating, you may require the help of a speach therapist. I'm hoping that there'd be some in Naija
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Sissy3(f): 9:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
keyremotes:

Who told you that Sissy?

i have known many pple who stammers and they have tried everything possible, from special training, to special drinking cups and other methods but they still stammers. embarassed embarassed embarassed but your case might be a special one.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Dondav(m): 2:01pm On Apr 25, 2009
smiley I am a professional stammerer, but u'll never know unless we're related.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by therapist: 2:29pm On Apr 25, 2009
Yes there is cure for stammerers.
It is basically an emotional problem. The stammerer either builds-up emtion before the speech or anticipates responce / reaction to the speech and builds-up emotional defence. The consequence is the force with ehich he or she wants to use in expressing himself or herself. This force wants ti push out many words at the same time which leads to stammering. Dont ask from where this theory comes. However, if you deal with the emotional aspect and get the person under control, he or she will talk without stammering.

1. Avoid steeped up emotions when talikng. I can teach you how to disolve negative emotions to free yourself of the pressure it presents at such times.
2. Be in control. Dont anticipate response or reaction even before you start talking. (Dont be a mind reader)
3. Take it easy at all times.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Epi: 2:41pm On Apr 25, 2009
Here is a West Indies (Caribbean) superstitious saying.

Remedy:

Drink water from a conch shell.  I know this doesn't seem to make sense but it stop the stammering.

Go to the beach, find a conch shell and keep drinking water from it. Do not sterilize the conch shell because there is something (dunno what it is) in the conch shell that stop stammering.

now I always thought this was some stupid make-up saying until I met some folks from India. We were all at a party and this dude from Barbados was stammering and the Indians told him to drink water from a conch shell.  I couldn't believe my ears but it makes sense.

You see, when that mass murderer Christopher Columbus came to the West Indies (Caribbean), the first set of people he met were Indians.  Hmmm, hence West Indians (Caribbean) folks still have that conch shell "story"

I no lie, but the Bajan dude do not stammer any more.  Coincidence or fact?  I don't know undecided

*Some Chinese/Hawaiians know about the old (superstitious)" saying
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Ascony(m): 3:00pm On Apr 25, 2009
i have been stammering ever since i can remember myself. I have tried the mind control stuff but the problem is that sometimes u forget or loose self consciuosness at some moments which makes u to still stammer, but i believe that with inner peace one can conquer stammering in no good time
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by lobinoxebe(m): 3:44pm On Apr 25, 2009
i am also a starmarer but now am improving,

When i rap to my Songs i dont starmer, when i talk to girls i dont but when am talking to my Boss, lecturers or someone with a higher rank, I starmer,

I dont know why,

i will try the conch shell.

lets see what happens

1 Like

Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by hunkenstei: 3:52pm On Apr 25, 2009
i used to stammer real bad as a kid and i couldnt talk in class cus i was always afraid the other kids would laugh at me cus i stammered real bad. but ma mom used to make me drink from a snail shell. well i dont knw if that really works, but she made sure i did. she would keep the shell in a refrigerator i aslo underwent a lot of practise, like taking a deep breath before i start talking, talk slowly, never be anxious blah blah. to cut the long story short, it took a while, but here i am now. i dont stammer anymore. in summary, yes there is a cure for stammering
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by mccloud224(m): 4:10pm On Apr 25, 2009
Drink 8 cups of hot water twice a day.You throat will be cleared.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Timdonca: 4:43pm On Apr 25, 2009
ya dere is a cure! i use 2 stamme so much, but wit d control rules, i can now talk reasonably wel .
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by AmAlone: 5:14pm On Apr 25, 2009
I learnt there are cures to stammaring but the remedy which have forgotten is aplicabe on to slite stammarers. . undecided

1 Like

Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Outstrip(f): 5:17pm On Apr 25, 2009
With therapy you can learn to control it and if it was not too bad in the first place you can teach yourself to overcome it. My brother and my dad both are but you would not even know. My dad is also a minister so he preaches both here in the US and in Nigeria. Unless you really are around him you would not know. My older sister was really bad with it but she stopped on her own when she was a toddler and I seem to do it too when I am frustrated or angry but it is very rare that I get that angry. Just don't hold it in.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by noetic(m): 5:58pm On Apr 25, 2009
mukina2:

Keyremotes has a point.

i talk very fast and used to stammer badly.

I learnt how to control it,If i want to say a word and i notice i am stuck, i stop and i start again slowly, its hard to do and i end up in tears but it worked. now i do not stammer when i talk though i  talk  very fast, i only stammer when am angry embarassed embarassed

no wonder!!!
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by blacksta(m): 6:12pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ poster

a few dirty slaps will go a long way.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by blacksta(m): 6:13pm On Apr 25, 2009
;d
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by keba(m): 6:49pm On Apr 25, 2009
blacksta:

@ poster

a few dirty slaps will go a long way.

Can i give it a trial on your face tongue
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by rikkyjen(m): 7:25pm On Apr 25, 2009
Outstrip:

With therapy you can learn to control it and if it was not too bad in the first place you can teach yourself to overcome it. My brother and my dad both are but you would not even know. My dad is also a minister so he preaches both here in the US and in Nigeria. Unless you really are around him you would not know. My older sister was really bad with it but she stopped on her own when she was a toddler and I seem to do it too when I am frustrated or angry but it is very rare that I get that angry. Just don't hold it in.

No offence, so could stammering be genetic? or could it just be that people stutter or stammer just becos they are "in touch" or habitate with a stammerer?

@ Topic
And yes, have seen people who stuttered only to have it controlled by themselves! I think it all boils down to personal control!
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 25, 2009
i used to stammer and i overcame it by keeping calm whenever it starts
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Riskie(f): 8:06pm On Apr 25, 2009
The SpeechEasy Implant helps stammering.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by keyremotes(m): 8:16pm On Apr 25, 2009
rikkyjen:

No offence, so could stammering be genetic? or could it just be that people stutter or stammer just becos they are "in touch" or habitate with a stammerer?

@ Topic
And yes, have seen people who stuttered only to have it controlled by themselves! I think it all boils down to personal control!
I think so.

My late maternal granny was a stammerer. I actually inherited it from het.
Thank fully though my daughter does not stammer.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by candyluvv: 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2009
Yea, the only recognised and effective cure is what the world popularly calls ''Speech Therapy''.
This usually yields very positive results.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by Olayinkaoj(m): 9:15pm On Apr 25, 2009
I was a stammerer when I was young.

I found out the cause of this problem while in the secondary school to be ''trying to say too many words in a sentence almost at the same time, just the way such words springs from my brain or mind''.

I found out that the solution to that problem is '' to be picking my words, one after the other constructively, later I got used to that style of talking to the extent of being able to talk anywhere now, even appearing live on state TV station (as I have done 2ce) is no more a problem.

Dont be too anxious to impress anyone while talking, just take everything easy and spell your words slowly as they come. God bless u

1 Like

Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by rewardobi(m): 10:01pm On Apr 25, 2009
In the privacy of your home, pick up a book and start singing as you read it. You'll notice just like the Beatles or anyone with an accent that it doesn't come through when you sing and the same happens with people that stutter. Try it and practice it and you'll be very surprised at how well it works.

Do some tongue twisters and improve your vocabulary daily. There are many free sites offering tongue twisters and vocabulary help. There is a lot to improve, So get busy!
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2009
therapy

If you know you stammer, dont talk so fast either. Makes things worse.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by minute(f): 10:25pm On Apr 25, 2009
Swearing.

I have seen it work.Keep swearing . .st . . .st . . st . . .stamerring I mean.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:26pm On Apr 25, 2009
hahhaa. see a stammering person swear is straight comedy.
Re: Any Cure For Stammering? by mukina2: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2009
minute:

Swearing.

I have seen it work.Keep swearing . .st   . . .st . . st . . .stamerring I mean.

ThiefOfHearts:

hahhaa. see a stammering person swear is straight comedy.

angry not funny tongue angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyo Confirms 31 New COVID-19 Cases / Staphylococcus Aureus/infections : My Experience About It . / A Review Of Common Dangerous Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.