Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,258 members, 7,829,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? (5756 Views)

The Cambridge Black Boys’ Photo That Went Viral! Mostly Nigerians / When The Maths Teacher Is Bringing Back The Marked Books (Photo) / Meet Jake, The Boy Behind The Class Captain Meme That Went Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by 2el(m): 4:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
Singapore usually comes top, or nearly top, of the international rankings in primary maths performance.

And when you read this question – you can see why. It’s an excellent logical puzzle, which will stump most adults.

To clear up any ambiguity, Cheryl tells Albert the month in which her birthday falls, and she tells Bernard the day’s number.

In other words, Albert is told either May, June, July or August. Bernard is told either 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19.

The question was posted by Singapore TV presented Kenneth Kong on his Facebook page this weekend and has gone round the world.

He wrote: “This question causes a debate with my wife .... and its a P5 question.” I’m assuming that means primary Year 5.

Can you do it? Are you smarter than a Singaporean ten-year-old?

Go on, give it a try.

(If no one gets the right answer - and shows their workings! - I’ll post it later).

My latest book Alex Through the Looking-Glass: How Life Reflects
Numbers and Numbers Reflect Life is just out in paperback.

If you want to be kept in touch with this blog I’m on Twitter, Facebook
and Google+.

UPDATE: It now appears that the question was not intended for year 5
primary school kids but in fact for 14/15-year olds.
According to
Singapore news agency Mothership.sg the question was part of a
Singapore and Asian Schools Math Olympiad test paper, which is aimed
at the best 40 per cent of students. In any case, Singapore is also always
top, or nearly top, internationally for secondary maths also. So, I rephrase the question: are you smarter than a Singaporean 14-year-old?

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2015/apr/13/can-you-solve-the-singapore-primary-maths-question-that-went-viral?CMP=fb_gu

4 Shares

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Olucheye(m): 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
August 14!!

Don't Ask Me How..
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by karfe(m): 5:07pm On Apr 13, 2015
June 18

2 Likes

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by SELENAqueensy(f): 5:21pm On Apr 13, 2015
September 2nd, she is my birthday mate

3 Likes

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by alsudaes1(m): 5:39pm On Apr 13, 2015
June 18
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by bularuz(m): 5:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
June 18

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 13, 2015
talk the answer na
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by hahn(m): 5:55pm On Apr 13, 2015
Crap
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by ERCROSS(m): 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2015
Sorriey ooo...
Where I cum from..
Dis is what we call bullsh!t....

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Obinoscopy(m): 6:38pm On Apr 13, 2015
It's May 19

Explanation: For Bernard to say he now knows her birthday means he was told 19 and since only May had 19, then her birthday must be May 19. Also for Albert, he was told May but wasn't sure of the day since May had 15, 16 and 19; Albert reasoned that it must be May 19 since Bernard was able to decode the Month as well.

I don't know if I'm making sense with this explanation sad

16 Likes

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by successhunter: 6:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
When am not her mama or papa! How would I guess from random numbers.

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by themonk(m): 6:59pm On Apr 13, 2015
Obinoscopy:
It's May 19

Explanation: For Bernard to say he now knows her birthday means he was told 19 and since only May had 19, then her birthday must be May 19. Also for Albert, he was told May but wasn't sure of the day since May had 15, 16 and 19; Albert reasoned that it must be May 19 since Bernard was able to decode the Month as well.

I don't know if I'm making sense with this explanation sad
Yeah, Exactly.
I figured that out too.
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Vivly(f): 7:15pm On Apr 13, 2015
It's one of the Mays. Don't as.me how I know please.
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by 7footre(m): 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
All of d above undecided
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by dgr8truth(m): 7:41pm On Apr 13, 2015
It's May 29, the dawn of GMB's custodianship of GEJ's giant strides.

#GMBNigeriansAreWatchingandExpecting

4 Likes

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by vision2050: 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2015
Feb 30
don't ask me how?
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Gabrielsylar(m): 8:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
hahn:
Crap
okare
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
themonk:

Yeah, Exactly.
I figured that out too.

Figured what
I don't get it...there is no clue angry
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by ollyruffy: 8:31pm On Apr 13, 2015
The answer between May 19 and June 18.

She told bernard the day. If you loot at the days listed, only 18 and 19 are not repeated. So bernard was able to pick her birthday between both days correctly.

She told albert the month. Then he was able to also know the exact day looking at the two options.

Now the trick here is that only the three of them know the exact date between May 19 and June 18. No one else cannot know except you are given a hint by anyone of them.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 13, 2015
Singapore has a superior system of education

As for the question....it is really stressing my brain.

Cheryl won't be on my friends list...

Modified...

OK....

1.Albert...May, June July August

2.Bernie...14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19.

3.Albert : I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn't know too.(OK...so..none of them knows now!)

4.Bernie: At first I do not know when Cheryl's birthday is , but I know now.

Answer....June 18 or May 19....(the other numbers are repeated!).

Of course it probably isn't correct.

Off to look for the answer..... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 13, 2015
One of the above
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by totalhouse(m): 9:11pm On Apr 13, 2015
May 19.Bernard was told 19 by Cheryl and since only one date wt 19 exist with May as the only month wt 19,therefore he already knows her birthday without asking for the month from Albert. May 19 is d date.
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by iwant2beheard: 9:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
May 19
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by buggaboo: 9:31pm On Apr 13, 2015
Na wa o. Sahara reporters pls pay for advert and stop derailing.
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by AreTheyBitches(m): 9:37pm On Apr 13, 2015
may 19.... na only 19 single for the whole shitty shitty numbers....dumb explanation i know
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by buggaboo: 9:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
From Albert's first statement the month doesnt have a unique date so May and June are off.

From Bernard's statement the date can also be found in may or june so cannot be 14.

Ans is either july 16, aug 15 or aug 17
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Generalkorex(m): 10:05pm On Apr 13, 2015
Sept. 19
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by agabaI23(m): 10:09pm On Apr 13, 2015
I was thinking its August 17 before I saw July 16
Reason 1+7=8 17/8, but then 16/7 follows the same logic.
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by buggaboo: 10:10pm On Apr 13, 2015
Re: Can You Solve The Maths Question For Singapore Schoolkids That Went Viral? by Kelklein(m): 10:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
hmmm...u all did pretty good...well done guys!

finally the answer !

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Signs Someone Is Lying To You, Courtesy Of A Former FBI Agent / What Are The Colours Of This Dress? (amazing Optical Illusion). / Nigerian Educational System.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.