Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others (27241 Views)

Vanguard's Picture Of Buhari Carrying NLNG, NNPC, Others / Witches Association Backs Buhari’s Anti-Corruption War -vanguard / Senate Set To Probe NNPC And Refineries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 14, 2015
The World Bank has thrown its weight behind President-elect, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to probe the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation over allegations of missing funds.

Speaking in a video conference from Washington to journalists from across Africa on the release of the bank’s analysis of issues shaping the continent entitled, ‘Africa’s Pulse’, top officials of the bank commended President Goodluck Jonathan for exhibiting political maturity after the March 28 presidential election that would end the tenure of his administration on May 29.

The World Bank’s Chief Economist for Africa, Mr. Francisco Ferreira, said looking into financial records of the country, especially allegation of corruption at the NNPC, would check impunity and build public institutions in the future.

He said, “One norm that has to change is the norm of impunity. I am from Brazil myself. So I am also used to a country where people could be corrupt and escape justice. That keeps the people to keep doing it.

“So, the current stand of the government-elect to look into what happened in the past hopefully will have consequences for the future. And those consequences will be that institutions will be stronger; norms will be cleaner and people will not have to steal millions of dollars from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

“People have alleged in the past that there had been major corruption scandals there. If that stops, then that will have very high returns in terms of the money staying around to be spent on education, health, roads and power that the poor people across the country need.

“So, my sense is that it will be good to promote cleanliness in politics.”

Answering question on some other African countries that have elections between 2015 and 2017, Ferreira said there was no need to be afraid, adding that the fear of elections would drive away investments from the region.

He said the example that had been shown by Jonathan and Nigeria in the just-concluded general election showed that the continent could get it right in terms of transition to new governments.

Ferreira praised Jonathan for political maturity that he exhibited during the elections, adding that if Nigeria could get it right; other countries in the region should also be able to get it right.

Answering a question from a South African journalist on the possibility of the country overtaking Nigeria as the largest economy on the continent given the fall of Nigeria’s main export, crude oil, Ferreira said it did not look plausible.

Also answering a question from an Angolan journalist on who between Nigeria and his country was managing the fall in oil prices better, the World Bank expert said both countries were doing well in putting measures in place to check the decline.

He praised both countries for allowing their currencies to float according to market forces rather than living in denial of the crisis occasioned by the decline in crude oil exports.

Ferreira, however, added that Nigeria stood a better chance to recover faster from the decline because the structure of the country’s economy was more diversified than that of Angola.

The report, Africa’s Pulse, presented by the World Bank Lead Economist for Africa, Punan Chuhan-Pole, stated that sub-Saharan Africa’s growth would slow in 2015 to four per cent from 4.5 per cent in 2014.

The downturn largely reflects the fall in the prices of oil and other commodities, according to the twice-yearly analysis of the issues shaping Africa’s economic prospects.

The 2015 forecast is below the 4.4 per cent average annual growth rate of the past two decades, and well short of Africa’s peak growth rates of 6.4 per cent in 2002-08.

Excluding South Africa, the average growth for the rest of sub-Saharan Africa was forecast to be around 4.7 per cent.

The World Bank Vice- President for Africa, Mr. Makhtar Diop, said, “Despite strong headwinds and new challenges, sub-Saharan Africa is still experiencing growth. And with challenges come opportunities.

“The end of the commodity super-cycle has provided a window of opportunity to push ahead with the next wave of structural reforms and make Africa’s growth more effective at reducing poverty.”

Sub-Saharan Africa is a net exporter of primary commodities. Oil is the most important commodity traded in the region, followed by gold and natural gas, the report stated.

It added that over 90 per cent of the total exports of eight major oil-exporting countries came from the three biggest exports of each country, which represent nearly 30 per cent of their GDP.

Recent price declines are not confined to oil, the report said; adding that the prices of other commodities were now more closely correlated both with oil prices and with one another.

As a result, terms of trade are declining widely among most countries in the region, according to the report, which asserted that the 36 African countries with expected terms of trade deterioration were home to 80 per cent of the population and 70 per cent of the economic activities in the region.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/world-bank-backs-buhari-to-probe-nnpc-others-2/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Lilprincey(m): 7:22am On Apr 14, 2015
I think buhari should probe them let the come and explain what happened to the money

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by thefakestan: 7:23am On Apr 14, 2015
I dont really see him digging really deep! He'll probably try to see if refunds could be made

7 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 14, 2015
I support 100% any move to probe the NNPC. The corruption and decay there is mind boggling. shocked shocked

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:
I dont really see him digging really deep! He'll probably try to see if refunds could be made

Anyhow, let's get as much as we can get from them.

8 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by thefakestan: 7:26am On Apr 14, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Anyhow, let's get as much as we can get from them.
Yes lets watch, remember most APC members were in the PDP and no POLITICIAN! In Nigeria is clean / righteous.

7 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by darnley16(m): 7:26am On Apr 14, 2015
Lol Damn!!! These ppl too wan watch Action film

9 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Bevista: 7:27am On Apr 14, 2015
Those 4 Towers of corruption called NNPC needs to be sanitized.

Madam frog-eye needs a plea bargain where she returns part of the billions and also spends at least 2 years in Kirikiri.

18 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by madridguy(m): 7:29am On Apr 14, 2015
Kirikiri maximum prison go full like kilode.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by drtwist(m): 7:29am On Apr 14, 2015
This one of the thing I will surely support Buhari even if it is my Father. Also he should not face Only the Opposition o. All better still forget about probing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by MrIncrediible(m): 7:30am On Apr 14, 2015
[size=15pt] MADUEKE DON ENTER ONE CHANCE! [/size] grin grin

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by midolian(m): 7:38am On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:
In fact, that's the way I want it...And if possible, how the big eye-balled woman will be imprisoned if found guilty of any crime

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by kolomax(m): 7:39am On Apr 14, 2015
Even outsiders know what's going on PDP e-rats will be here very soon to defend madam iweala

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by cold(m): 7:46am On Apr 14, 2015
I hear Deziani has left the country on health grounds. She is the one person i won't bat an eyelid if she ends up in jail

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by niggi4life(m): 7:46am On Apr 14, 2015
Best News this morning

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Zakkyoz: 7:57am On Apr 14, 2015
we really need to recover some of the money they stole. Allison Madueke should be placed on close monitoring if she has not jetted out.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by systimax(m): 8:11am On Apr 14, 2015
A lot will still checkout on health ground.

.....hmmn madueke?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by seunfly: 8:14am On Apr 14, 2015
They should also help us by exposing their assets hidden in their countries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 14, 2015
If a true investigation is done in the oil sector for the past 50 yrs, even Gen Buhari will be in jail

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 14, 2015
If a true investigation is done in the oil sector for the past 50 yrs, even Gen Buhari will be in jail.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by thefakestan: 8:21am On Apr 14, 2015
midolian:
In fact, that's the way I want it...And if possible, how the big eye-balled woman will be imprisoned if found guilty of any crime

You can hate on Diezanni all you want, from the days of Buhari in NNPC, till date money has been missing.

Nothing will happen, I repeat nothing will happen!!
People fail to see the bigger picture that we are back in the hands of the old cabals, the likes of OBJ, Buhari, IBB, TY Dajuma and co, they've always worked for each other and they'll do same, its no news that the hunger for power from the North was based on 3 fundamental reasons

1. Oil bloc license renewal
2. Population census in 2016.
3. The fact that a minority / christain was ruling.

Buhari will actually have to perform a miracle to prove these points wrong.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by CecyAdrian(f): 8:27am On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:

You can hate on Diezanni all you want, from the days of Buhari in NNPC, till date money has been missing.

People fail to see the bigger picture that we are back in the hands of the old cabals, the likes of OBJ, Buhari, IBB, TY Dajuma and co, they've always worked for each other and they'll do same, its no news that the hunger for power from the North was based on 3 fundamental reasons

shocked if at these point,you stil reason this low, then I give up on you! cry

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by thefakestan: 8:30am On Apr 14, 2015
CecyAdrian:

shocked if at these point,you stil reason this low, then I give up on you! cry
For reference purpose only.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 14, 2015
In MAMA PEACE VOICE Sai, is this not a kirikiri Notice Note? grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by baralatie(m): 8:42am On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:

hmmmm!

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Lifebender(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2015
This is just too good
Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Kitsune: 8:57am On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:

Classic ldiot, whenever the talk of probing corruption in NNPC comes up they are ready to jump in defense of corruption and attempt to divert focus to totally irrelevant bullshit. Everything to these ldiots is about Northerners this northerners that, well Northerners didn't force your beloved Minister to be corrupt and nobody said she's the only one who's corrupt/to be probed either so why dont you shut the fvck up.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by DaGC(m): 9:20am On Apr 14, 2015
The NNPC should be probed, fine. But a lot of peeps should stop making baseless accusations against the minister. If she's guilty and corrupt, we will know after the probe. Till then, retards should take a chill pill.

A lot of Nigerians take people's opinions as facts. I can just say that so so so person is corrupt and a thief, and a whole lot of peeps will spread that around without proof.

We should at least wait for after the probe.

5 Likes

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by Skywalker5(m): 9:25am On Apr 14, 2015
Nice one. Lets see how this plays out
Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by igbsam(m): 9:25am On Apr 14, 2015
Walahi, God sef know say I can't wait............Diezieni is going down

1 Like

Re: World Bank Backs Buhari To Probe NNPC, Others by RichDad1(m): 9:26am On Apr 14, 2015
Yes!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ambode's Land Use Charge: A Wake Up Call To Landlords Especially Igbos / Bello El-Rufai Funds The Fencing Of Christian Cemetery In Kaduna. / Asari Dokubo Asks Tinubu To Return NDDC To OMPADEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.