Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,872 members, 7,813,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA (77608 Views)

Drone View Of Owerri (Photos) / Checkout The Aerial View Of Lagos Island During The Day And Night (photos) / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Notyourb1tch(f): 11:19am On Apr 16, 2015
I wonder why after all these years the violent attacks on black foreign nationals are still being referred to as Xenophobia and not Afrophobia.

Definitions...#Xenophobia: "deep-rooted, irrational hatred towards foreigners"...#Afrophobia: "fear, hate, or dislike of Black Africans"

I think Afrophobia would be the correct term since the white foreign nationals etc are not targeted but only the black foreigners.

There is no justification for such acts. All over the world you will always find foreigners. Imagine if countries such as Uk and America had to burn and murder all foreigners in their Country. I feel like the biggest problem is the nonchalant attitude of the police and Government in general towards these foreigners. It really bewilders me that these same set of people should know better from apartheid. They should know how it feels to be so hated, oppressed and killed yet they are killing the same set of people from countries who their leaders seeked asylum from.

6 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by driand(m): 11:20am On Apr 16, 2015
saymax:
The OP has told a bitter truth but as usual we will always hv pple who will differ. Whether because dey just like to b on d opposing side or sheer stupidity. Its a simple msg, if u want to live in anoda country try and b well schooled/hv a gud paying job. Dont go n constitute 2 nuisance giving ur country a bad name. Shikenan!
and if anyone is guilty of the bolded the next thing you do is to kill that person and burn him on the streets, may God forgive you.

4 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by esere826: 11:20am On Apr 16, 2015
@madejibo

I've been clicking like on many of your posts
you come across as being an extremely sensible fellow
may your prosper more, and may your intelligence know no bounds
do not mind those who their retort to a well laid out argument whether right or wrong is to first insult before attempting to think

when you're done with conquering other nations through the sheer might of you God blessed wisdom and understanding
spare a thought of coming back home someday and investing some saneness of mind on some young impressionable Nigerians that are at a cross road -knowing not if to turn to acceptable foolhardiness or thread the path of sophisticated reasoning.

Stay blessed
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by MymothersKeeper(f): 11:22am On Apr 16, 2015
OP you are a disgrace to Africa , what are you saying ? One killed is too many !
Clearly you are more concerned about your pride & ego , so you living away from Naija & your claim to glory is being exposed . Shut the f up!
You think I haven't been there before ? It's one of the worst places to live as a black foreigner .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 16, 2015
temmyo:
There's just something about nairaland that makes people think and talk stupidly. This place has opened my eyes to understanding people from all parts of the country better, one thing cuts across, education is not wisdom.
The op never condoned the crimes neither did he justify it. All he tried to explain was that the tag of xenophobia is not apt for the situation currently in south africa. If you have a contrary view on that particular point state it clearly and without hate. If you have a view on a related point state it and move on. Otherwise most of the comments so far sound like if they would do the exact same thing in Nigeria if given the opportunity.

Biko carry your pseudo-intellectualism and go and sit down inside a gutter!
What is all this?
Where has your humanity gone? It trumps intelligence, anytime!

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Yujin(m): 11:24am On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:
no nigerian killed in South Africa the fake news, graphic images and videos

https://www.nairaland.com/2257784/no-nigerians-killed-south-africa

From the horse's mouth
Xenophobia: No Nigerian killed in South Africa— Obanikoro http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/xenophobiasa-no-nigerian-killed-in-south-africa-obanikoro/
No one can be certain for now until the dust is settled. Majority of Nigerians don't live in the villages and townships owning to the previous xenophobic episode few years back. The bad deeds of many Nigerians here have really soiled our names I must admit and they won't be exempted if those miscreants find any of them outside their stronghold.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 16, 2015
MymothersKeeper:
OP you are a disgrace to Africa , what are you saying ? One killed is too many .
Clearly you are more concerned about your pride of living away from Naija being exposed . Shut the f up!

I don't do swear or curse words...I hate fighting with people....but I seriously dislike the poster and his likers
.....needless to say it, but I liked your post
He is a lost fellow
SMH

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by tablu: 11:26am On Apr 16, 2015
I dont think the zulu youths involved in this xenophobic violent confrontation have an idea what there parents went through durin apartheid...or probably they got a very poor orientation from the parents themselves!

7 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by wiloy2k8(m): 11:27am On Apr 16, 2015
gragraboy:
I can bet all of the people lashing out @ the OP have never travelled outside this country before. Unless you can go to SA and bring a different point of view, shut up and thank God for the life of the OP. And pray for the safety of our Nigerian bros & sis over there.

oga shut up .. i have people in SA . a close friend of mine was killed in SA last year .
i lived in Egypt for 2 months and never had problem . very accommodating people , same friends of mine that was in Egypt also visited SA and was like you dont walk alone if you do you could be dead . if they see you spending in a club . they get jealous . common south africans arnt cool people . i got so pissed off that i actually had to ask a southafrican who attended SCOAN why southafricans hate Nigerians . he couldnt respond . the ladies would always love you , but the nigaz OMG would really hate you . just like in Benin Republic too . they hate Nigerians .

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by fretnot(m): 11:27am On Apr 16, 2015
Xenophobia is stupidity really.

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 11:28am On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:

Sir, to be honest SA society does not permit foreigners to "hustle". A lot of south africans are unskilled and therefor look for the hustling jobs. I don't think it is fair for a Nigerian or any other Nationality to go to sa and compete with their citizen. BTW the law in SA does not permit a foreigner to remain in SA if you don't have some skills which they call scarce skill or exceptional skills, so if you are living there without such skills you are either an asylum seeker or illegal.
Another set of people allowed to live in SA are business owners an by law your business must worth R5m. They have laws, we must respect their laws

So they should be attacked and killed?

5 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 16, 2015
kastonkastrol:
dude stop saying trash and quit misleading innocent nigerians that everything is absolutely ok in south africa. I think if the reasonable south africans that embarked on a serious campaign about xenophobic attack reason like you, I believe everybody will still be in the dark. Even south Africans have admitted the bitter truth that xenophobia is deeply rooted in their country, I don't understand why you a immigrant is trying to hide the fact from the rest of the world. What is wrong with you?

And as for the record, you are sick man for saying nigerians are killed in e every country in the world and it shouldn't be a big deal

My last post hopefully on this matter,
The poster is a horrible, deluded, unfeeling man with huge self esteem problems

I have now gotten my least favourite Nairalander!
Horror.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by bmos(m): 11:32am On Apr 16, 2015
Quite refreshing to hear that nigerians are not singled out for the attack
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by solayd(m): 11:34am On Apr 16, 2015
i just find it diffiult to believe that Africans are goin through this sought of arrasemennt in what we all call our mother land, so if any of the white countries treat us like animals do we have any moral to condem their action?For the SA they should remember that is these same people they are treating like animal now that stood with them to fight against injustice in there so call land

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 16, 2015
Pontaboki:
This will soon be turned to a Tribal War.

It will not be!
This is a case where every human being should condemn a very silly, insecure man who is devoid of empathy for people he feels he is better than

I am sure every Nigerian who has love in his heart would be repelled by the poster's words
Heck, even people with hatred in their hearts (if there are such people) would feel the same way
Jeez

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by psalmlolese: 11:36am On Apr 16, 2015
Every one is a foreigner is either there or here.

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Tshaphilo: 11:37am On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:
Nigerians should be the last set of people calling any other country Xenophobic. We are quick to forget that with the support of our democratically elected government, we chased over 300,000 Ghanians away from SA.
Let's give SA some credits, at least SA's govt is not support these attacks, they have condemned it
. No democratically elected government sent ghanians packing. And no nigerian touched a ghanian rather it was the other way round they even destroyed our international airport. Before then do u know how many times Ghanian govt had sent out Nigerians. Just watch back with ur wife that's all. ls Dis is nt the first time. where u there when Brig. Marwa was the Ambassador? Wot was his advice? Why did they kill Lucky Dube becoz they thought he was a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by lexxwiz(m): 11:37am On Apr 16, 2015
Sad much! My opinion.

But wait a sec.. I need help here. Can I categorically call Oba Akiolu and those other guys in support of the lagoon XENophobic?? Just curious!

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by martineverest(m): 11:42am On Apr 16, 2015
Now,u admit dat nigeria's problem is as u result of visionless leaders and not the northerners............as for d xenophobic southafricans,ignorance is their problem and most of dem re naturally lazy,unlike nigerians dat re hardworking
mulattoclaro:
Nigeria is the part of the problem too. Let's take away sentiments. What does south Africa have that we don't? The problem is not work south Africa but rather the problem is from the useless and hopeless leaders we have been producing. A country as rich as Nigeria should not suffer.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Abbey2sam(m): 11:42am On Apr 16, 2015
southafricans are xenophobic in nature, i don't blame them much though, the let in the white and the suffered apartheid.....
maybe its their way of shielding their self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by driand(m): 11:42am On Apr 16, 2015
ucheokpara100:
i dnt knw where people are cookin stories 4rm, i'm in south africa d way this people treat us, thy respect us, u cant espect thm to respect those nigerian guys on d street screaming when thy see women with big bottom, calling ladies for no important reason hw will someone respect u when u behave like tht, study here and u will knw u are like king to them, pls people should ignore all those false rumours.
sir are you saying the attacks on foreigners is jus a rumor?

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by garriboy(m): 11:44am On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=madejibo post=32770893][/quote]
My broda, I understand d point u r making, but u cannot exonerate sans in this regard. Let me use ur example of 419ers in Nigeria. Everyone isn't a scammer in Nigeria but that's not d reason why embassies make it difficult to grant Nigerians visas into their country. Its becos of the few who are 419ers. Dats just hw tins work in dis world. There are so many countries in africa but one particularly is known for xenophobism (as Nigerians are known for being dubious), that one is SA. An average foreigner may be scared of going to SA to avoid being victim of xenophobia and dis is nt good for SA's reputation. So its good u made it clear dat ur submission is ur opinion but it doesn't change d impression most people already have.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by chomaloo(m): 11:44am On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=madejibo post=32770893][/quote]which side of south africa do u live n what kinda job do u do.wen u came south africa did u imediatly get permit to stay or u had to live n hustle for sometims b4 getin papers.ppo like u r d ones who com here n sell nigerians.ppo lik u r d ones who come here n gv metro police our original drivers licence to say dat all d drivers licence used by nigerians r fake.d free education u r talkin is never sponsored by south african govt bt NGOs.then medical treatment so bcus u are in a foreign land u cant b treated wen u r sick.the only tin south africa got good medical system n if u r sick u b treated cheap nt expensive like in nigeria.my bra truth b told south africans dou nt all, are xenophobic,afrophobic n racist it runs in there blood.even u bein in their hospital n they notice you r as foreigner,they start incitin their xenophobic n racist comment immediately.seriously if u come across these one eish u wil hate black south africans general.the issue of marriage;you wil agree wt me that as a nigeria we admire marryin foreign wives for swagg but marry a south african woman all she wants d baby to colect grant frm govt afta that love is finished.they prefer bein single parents cus they dnt respect men n they like havin several men.they sleep around like dogs.they hav ruined the lives of alot of our nigerian brothers here.here the spirit of immorality is so high.dear no matter what previledge u enjoy here in south africa,speak for yourself not for everyone.their police intentionaly victimize nigerians.talk more of when they catch doin illegal things that means your fine wil b so high or u r finished.in conclusion brother south africans have deep spiritual problem n when you try to open their eyes you be seen as enemy.south african naturally have inferiority complex when they see other african countries especialy nigeria.they r easily manipulated by indians n asians against their fellow blacks.have u ask urself r their no illegal migrant pakistan,india,bangladeos
h,china so on.brother if you got opportunity enjoy n i pray say make nobdy pour sand sand for ur garri but no come dey talk for other chikinaa

5 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by mulattoclaro(m): 11:46am On Apr 16, 2015
martineverest:
Now,u admit dat nigeria's problem is as u result of visionless leaders and not the northerners............as for d xenophobic southafricans,ignorance is their problem and most of dem re naturally lazy,unlike nigerians dat re hardworking
the Northerners and their born to rule mentality is also there as well.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 16, 2015
I wish dstv and mtn would be asked to leave Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by lekpalicious(f): 11:48am On Apr 16, 2015
Abbey2sam:
southafricans are xenophobic in nature, i don't blame them much though, the let in the white and the suffered apartheid.....
maybe its their way of shielding their self
This is an excuse. How many people all over the world were oppressed. Slavery happened before apartheid and you don't see the African American doing this. Neither the Jews also why are they doing it to their fellow blacks who had nothing to do with apartheid yet nothing happens to the whites. These people are violent and hateful in nature. They feel entitled to everything without even having worked for it. I really wish that all black foreigners(incl legal) will find their way back home and leave that country to kill each other off. Cos once the black foreigners are gone they will start with the whites and then the coloureds and eventually amongst themselves. The whole world is now seeing what that country is really about.

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Setaje(f): 11:49am On Apr 16, 2015
Olaolufred:
[/b]

[b]THANK YOU.
I WONDER WHY A NIGERIAN WILL ILLEGALLY ENTER SOUTH AFRICA TO BE LOADING BAGS OF RICE INTO TRUCKS AS A JOB.
ALREADY, HE IS TAKING THE UNSKILLED JOB AWAY FROM THE NATIVES.
NIGERIANS SHOULD BE SKILLED, AND SEEK FOR SKILLED JOBS BEFORE TRAVELLING OUT.
ALL THIS HUSTLING TO SELL THEIR FATHERS HOUSE TO GET PAPERS TO TRAVEL ABROAD WILL NOT DO US WELL AS A NATION WHEN TOUTS ARE TRAVELLING OUT.
WE HAVE GOT ENOUGH BAD NAMES ALREADY, THIS DESPERATION MUST STOP.

I swear u got it. A nation where touts and illiterates are travelling out. No form of education, no hand work. It's terrible. They have nothing to offer. They become desperate and then start soiling the countries name.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Tshaphilo: 11:51am On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:
Nigerians should be the last set of people calling any other country Xenophobic. We are quick to forget that with the support of our democratically elected government, we chased over 300,000 Ghanians away from SA.
Let's give SA some credits, at least SA's govt is not support these attacks, they have condemned it
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by esere826: 11:54am On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:

Sir, to be honest SA society does not permit foreigners to "hustle". A lot of south africans are unskilled and therefor look for the hustling jobs. I don't think it is fair for a Nigerian or any other Nationality to go to sa and compete with their citizen. BTW the law in SA does not permit a foreigner to remain in SA if you don't have some skills which they call scarce skill or exceptional skills, so if you are living there without such skills you are either an asylum seeker or illegal.
Another set of people allowed to live in SA are business owners an by law your business must worth R5m. They have laws, we must respect their laws
justwise:
[/b]

So they should be attacked and killed?

Of course not
The OP is simply stating what he feels is the obvious

Its like the US embassy informing its citizens to avoid some states in Nigeria because of terrorism
it doesn't mean that the US is condoning terrorism if its citizen decides to go to such states and is consequently kidnapped

Another example is this:
-lets say girls that dress a certain way in the night and are in certain spots are typically w.hores
-the cops wrongly round them up once in a while and collect bribe from them or forcefully assault them.
-a descent girl happens to have dressed in a certain way and was at the same spot in the night doing something honest
-the cops came in and descended on her.

The advice here is two pronged
1) Cops should not harass folks
2) Please ladies try to avoid this spot at night, and even if you do, please try to dress differently.

I see nothing wrong with such well intentioned advice
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Setaje(f): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2015
Funny thing is that after mandelas death. I read it here on nl how one prophet said s.a will go back to how it was before. That it was Mandela that was keeping them together. I didn't take it serious and I didn't see how it was possible. Now I no how possible it is

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by esere826: 11:55am On Apr 16, 2015
garriboy:

My broda, I understand d point u r making, but u cannot exonerate sans in this regard. Let me use ur example of 419ers in Nigeria. Everyone isn't a scammer in Nigeria but that's not d reason why embassies make it difficult to grant Nigerians visas into their country. Its becos of the few who are 419ers. Dats just hw tins work in dis world. There are so many countries in africa but one particularly is known for xenophobism (as Nigerians are known for being dubious), that one is SA. An average foreigner may be scared of going to SA to avoid being victim of xenophobia and dis is nt good for SA's reputation. So its good u made it clear dat ur submission is ur opinion but it doesn't change d impression most people already have.

quite sensible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Japa Relocation To Moscow Russia / See The Chinese Bullet Trains That Can Travel Betw. Lagos & Abuja & Back In 5hrs / Pictures Of Rock With Human Face In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.