Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA (77696 Views)

Drone View Of Owerri (Photos) / Checkout The Aerial View Of Lagos Island During The Day And Night (photos) / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by adconline(m): 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
Just like Naija where tribalism and religious intolerance reign. Just recently concluded elections would have shown the xenophobic nature of Nigeria.. Kill the traitors and TRIBALISTS. Sectarian violence is always rife in Naija. BH started off targeting Xtains, now it has graduated into killing anything human. BH has killed 1000s of Naija more than RSA attacks. Let's face our front!!
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by moghedien: 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:
Nigerians should be the last set of people calling any other country Xenophobic. We are quick to forget that with the support of our democratically elected government, we chased over 300,000 Ghanians away from SA.
Let's give SA some credits, at least SA's govt is not support these attacks, they have condemned it

Get your history right.

http://www.citypulseng.com/2014/10/the-trauma-of-1983-ghana-must-go-era.html

To add to that, it is exactly what the SAn govt should do, this way bloodshed is avoided. No price for blood.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by ooshinibos: 1:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
Batman123:
Some of you people are funny and are not much different from SA. Most Ghanaians came to Nigeria illegally like most Nigerians in Ghana right? This is the same stuff I have read SA people say about most foreigners also coming there illegally. It's a very stupid statement to make. Btw some Ghanaians were killed during Ghana must go. GHANA MUST GO was not better than what is happening in SA. Xenophobia is Xenophobia. All is equally bad.

Am with you bruv , I also disagree with the mass deportation because it gave Nigeria A BAD name then and now ( the Ghanaians still hate Nigerians for this stupid act of people and government ) ..and most importantly it was wrong , it should not have happened for whatever reason.
remember in the 80s there was no ECOWAS treaty and I think that's why the government might have use the loopholes to legally deport the Ghanaians then ..still wrong though
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
SirShymexx:
@OP

Interesting POV you have got there and I understanding where you are coming from. I saw some of those savagely and barbaric pictures - and they brought back memories of Apartheid South Africa. At least, it is always refreshing to see someone having an opinion without emotional impulses.

Anyway, I blame Nelson Mandela for how most of those South Africans are. Those folks went through some of the most dehumanising experience ever. And after apartheid ended, they should have rehabilitated these people properly, move them up the ladder economically - before even letting other folks in. That is a scar that will take more than one generation to wipe off. But he never did that, all in his bid to be the "father of Africa" - alas he also settled for useless deal with the whites. Thus leaving those no too better off than they were under apartheid. The cumulative anger is what is happening today. Then you can't absorb African immigrants from how a lot of them are always condescending in other countries - their relationship with African Americans is a classic example. The holy grail is that AAs were sanitised with Afrocentricism and black power movement, before Africans started moving there in droves - hence they have never been xenophobic. So, it is a two way street - with fundamental problems on both sides.

And to those making it a black thing - stop it. Poverty hasn't even returned to Europe, and far right groups are increasing at an alarming rate. Let poverty return and see if they won't be worse than South Africans. The UK is a classic example...the country is calm cos blacks don't really take no one's job and the population of black people in total can't be more than 3%. There is a reason why it is like that. But the angst building gradually against Muslims and EU nationals - it can get ugly as well.

Shymmex, the barbaric images are fake, check their sources with imageraider or Google reverse image search. They're just random pics from the net, don't believe everything you See,
see my other posts and threads and see their source.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Notyourb1tch(f): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

viral video shows vigilantism not xenophobia http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Viral-video-shows-vigilantism-not-xenophobia-police-20150411 true story of shocking "xenophobic Video revealed http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/True-story-of-shocking-xenophobic-attack-video-revealed-20150411

Let me get this straight. So burning a group of people has now been termed Vigilantism. Seriously? That's murder. I hope you don't believe this nonsense yourself. Those people should be jailed. Whether they are foreigners or not is besides the point. Irrespective of what they did, nobody should be burned period. Why were they not jailed instead? I am just amazed at the way some people think. This is quite disturbing to be honest.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by merricherios(f): 1:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
em, my dear sir, the world has listed Nigeria among the terrorist countries because of boko haram. be ni sir, so yes, southy is a xenophobic country going by the question you posted. Mr accepted. y the heck did u even come here to rant your bulls opinion.
madejibo:
I believe that am discussing with well informed people on this forum, that said, I want to ask some questions:
Will you say that because Boko Haram has been terrorizing us in Nigeria, we are terrorist country?
Will you sayy all white cops have been killing black civilians all white cops in USA are racists?

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by iliyande(m): 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
madejibo:
I believe that am discussing with well informed people on this forum, that said, I want to ask some questions:
Will you say that because Boko Haram has been terrorising us in Nigeria, we are terrorist country?
Will you sayy all white cops have been killing black civilians all white cops in USA are racists?

Thank God you are there, may it befall you if you continue defending bad image of SAns. Even in Somalia there are good people which does not mean Somalians are good people.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by osystein(m): 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
Notyourb1tch:
Let me get this straight. So burning a group of people has now been termed Vigilantism. Seriously? That's murder. I hope you don't believe this nonsense yourself. Those people should be jailed. Whether they are foreigners or not is besides the point. Irrespective of what they did, nobody should be burned period. Why were they not jailed instead? I am just amazed at the way some people think. This is quite disturbing to be honest.

Yes its wrong, but those are not foreigners as being claimed by many, that was my point.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by temmyo: 1:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
and you that has humanity is asking me to go sit in a gutter? tsk tsk!
milychocs:

Biko carry your pseudo-intellectualism and go and sit down inside a gutter!
What is all this?
Where has your humanity gone? It trumps intelligence, anytime!
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
temmyo:
and you that has humanity is asking me to go sit in a gutter? tsk tsk!

I will get you a pillow!
For your stay in gutter- ville oooo
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by V0lv0(f): 2:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
There is something seriously wrong when one person rises up in the morning to go and butcher his neighbour because the neighbour is from a different country, speaks a different language, is of a different religion...to butcher his neighbour because his neighbour decided to provide a service to fill a gaping void in the market for basic commodities...a gap which the neighbour filled using resources from his own honest and hard work...providing a service which benefits a community including the butcher neighbour....There is something seriously wrong with society when the powers that be, the leaders of our society sit back and engage in useless academic debate on whether these abominable acts of violence and sheer hatred for another because they come from another land should be called afrophobia or xenophobia....The powers that be, the leadership of the land of South Africa wake up, arise and take action instead of discussions and decision making with no action. Whatever you want to call it, it is wrong and should be dealt with decisively as a matter of urgency. The people of the land of South Africa fanning this current wave of hatred against a foreign neighbour, when the neighbour you butcher is dead and buried, are you left any better than you were today? when the neighbour whose spaza you burnt or looted, whose arms and legs you broke, whose child you left orphaned, when that neighbour leaves your land, are you any better than you were? When you visit a foreign land, your foreign neighbour's land, will you accept being treated as you have treated your neighbour. The great Nelson Mandela must be twisting and turning in his grave. Is this the ideal he dreamt of, faught for, lost a significant part of his life for? An ideal where South African Men and Women rise up at the crack of dawn not to fend for their families, but to terrorise another person, to butcher another person, to loot from another person. I dont think this is the ideal Madiba was so prepared to lose his life for. As Africans, we have all hosted each other of the decades as we faught for equality and freedom in our different lands, never have I heard of cases of hatred and intolerance against a foreigner to the extent and scale we are witnessing in South Africa over the past few days and the recent few years which went unpunished or were just expected to disappear because they were simply not talked about. I had not heard of a call of intolerance against fellow Africans, fellow human beings with a dark skinned colour, comming from the leadership of our vast lands. I urge my fellow Africans to rise up against this crime against humanity being perpetrated by our fellow brothers and sisters of colour....
This was a comment I saw and wanted to share

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by SirShymexx: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
osystein:

Shymmex, the barbaric images are fake, check their sources with imageraider or Google reverse image search. They're just random pics from the net, don't believe everything you See,
see my other posts and threads and see their source.

I have seen some of those pictures, and a few of them were posted by my Zimbabwean and SA friends.

Regardless, didn't Nigerians also kicked all Ghanaians out of naija at one time cos Ghanaians were also allegedly taking all their jobs? The only difference is that Nigerians never had to go through the generational dehumanisation that South Africans went through - else they probably would have lynched some Ghanaians as well. And there are still tons of Ghanaians from that era who will never forgive Nigerians for that.

Anyway, I don't support the madness - just pointing out human nature. Regardless, ANC needs to grow some balls and sort these folks out. That is their country and they deserve more than those Afrikaans and other white folks controlling everything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
esere826:

My straight forward and emotive answer would be yes, they should avoid going to places were there is a greater probability that they could be killed

However, I understand that life doesn't work that way, especially when one is also faced with constant life threatening dangers plus economic challenges in the place where one comes from.

So my diplomatic answer would be that those who which to travel to SA should try to gather as much information as possible (positive and negative info) and then use such information to try navigating through the labyrinth that is presently SA.

That is not my question, i wasn't talking about some areas in SA but SA as a whole, do you want Nigerians and other Africans to stop going to SA?
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by driand(m): 2:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
proudlyhandsome:

£5 for washing and polishing d car body.

£10 for intensive wash; both inside and outside with tyres.

But if you see their suffering and their bills......

By the time they take out their expenses out of that revenue, they would hardly have smting left.

US is btw $14 to $26; it all depend on your choice of services
Can they get upto 15 customers daily?
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
@osystein

Please stop reporting posts and asking me to remove them because according to you the story or images are fake. I have seen some of those images on my facebook pages posted by my SA and Zimbabwean friends, i have seen news clips about the barbaric killings.

It has been reported by BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32332744, stop denying the obvious.

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by sunnshyn(f): 2:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
I'm a Nigerian currently living in SA, lived here for 4 years, enjoyed free education down to Masters' level. My husband has been here for 7 years, did his Honours, Masters and PhD(3yr) all the while enjoyed free education(Bursary-paid)...even though we've got medical aid, I also enjoy free medicals.

I've also been privileged to work here in SA, and in my first job I realized my boss though crazy lolz(mixed race-referred to as coloured) would rather associate with me than other Nationals or black south Africans, his family accommodated me for FREE, he trusted me and found me worthy to the extent that I had the code to the Alarm systems in the house(ADT), if he needed to travel and maybe I also wanted to travel, I'll be begged to stay back as he couldn't trust his house-keeper(South african). This was 1yr after I got into SA.....In fact, all this while, I lived in a beautiful house for FREE, ate FREE food, enjoyed FREE education all in South Africa.

Now back to the recent xenophobia attacks...I'm not really privy as to what really happened because I've heard various versions ranging from President's child saying immigrants must go back, to de-facing the statures of their colonial masters.

In my opinion, I'm not going to exonerate SAans by saying they are not racist or xenophobes, however, in every country, we do have a bit of racism and what have you.

Taking Nigerians living in South Africa as a case study, Nigerians are generally known to be happy and loving people but very LOUD and such Show-offs!. I find it totally appalling that you come into someone else's territory and decide to behave the way you choose, even when there are laws to be abided by. My family & I live in the suburbs by God's grace and I've got spare rooms but would NEVER allow a fellow Nigerian live with me. We(Nigerians) simply lack comportment....let's tell ourselves the truth.

South Africans say Nigerians do crime(drugs and what have you) this is true, however, I know as a fact that Pakistanis also do BIG crime(drugs), but these people comport themselves in such a manner that I am marvels people.

I was at the bank recently for moneygram, and these group of Nigerians(mainly yorubas and edos) comes in to get same moneygram. The least amount I heard from these guys was 50,000 dollars, you begin to wonder the kind of jobs this boys do. And insead of you to discreetly speak themselves, they were shouting and causing a scene trying to intimidate everyone. I just simply walked out.

I'd say this and not take back my words, if you are not an academic, or skilled you simply have NO business in SA. There are so many unskilled workers in SA which comprises mainly the blacks from the rural areas, now imagine a guy coming from Nigeria, without any form of education or skill, what do you tink will happen to him? Since the unskilled jobs will first be given to their citizens, and next to those from SADC. He'll end up doing crime, then buy big cars and start driving and living lawlessly as if his father is the president..

I'm all against xenophobia in any form, but I must commend the SA govts, it hasn't also been easy for them post-apartheid. Most of them didn't get the opportunity to be educated like the whites and are only trying now to do the best they can....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by driand(m): 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2015
proudlyhandsome:

£5 for washing and polishing d car body.

£10 for intensive wash; both inside and outside with tyres.

But if you see their suffering and their bills......

By the time they take out their expenses out of that revenue, they would hardly have smting left.

US is btw $14 to $26; it all depend on your choice of services
sorry if I'm being curious here but @ an average of $20 USD If I can get upto 10 customers daily I'm good with that, because definitely at the end of the day after expenses and bills I should still have $100, for me that's not bad.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by temmyo: 2:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
And that will make you feel better abi? For hating on someone who holds a contrary view to yours? Just like the South Africans are killing people for being from outside their country? What does that make you?

milychocs:

I will get you a pillow!
For your stay in gutter- ville oooo
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by lekpalicious(f): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
SirShymexx:

I have seen some of those pictures, and a few of them were posted by my Zimbabwean and SA friends.

Regardless, didn't Nigerians also kicked all Ghanaians out of naija at one time cos Ghanaians were also allegedly taking all their jobs? The only difference is that Nigerians never had to go through the generational dehumanisation that South Africans went through - else they probably would have lynched some Ghanaians as well. And there are still tons of Ghanaians from that era who will never forgive Nigerians for that.

Anyway, I don't support the madness - just pointing out human nature. Regardless, ANC needs to grow some balls and sort these folks out. That is their country and they deserve more than those Afrikaans and other white folks controlling everything.
Bro they are killing the whites too especial the white afrikaans farmers but it's obviously worse with the black foreigners though and they hate us more
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by omoharry(f): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
This is a job well done for these Our Africans brothers.Is good that you guys were able to come together to defend your life from those blood suckers yesterday.The attack is still on, this was yesterday..so you sleepy Nigerians over there that are sitting on your high horses and defending this monster..open your eyes and know what is happening in your environment...them no they right good man for person fore-head..since you are a Nigerian, you are considered as a makwekwere...(offensive name for foreigners) and they will cut you down. be alert and jump down from your high horse of "they are bad people while i am good mentality"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHSDGktYCAI

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by sunnshyn(f): 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
justwise:

That is not my question, i wasn't talking about some areas in SA but SA as a whole, do you want Nigerians and other Africans to stop going to SA?

SA isn't europe, if Nigerians or other Africans must come to SA, you must come with a purpose! E.g to School, join your family and maybe work in his shop as in the case of Ethiopians, indians and Pakistanis, meet your husband or wife as the case maybe.

SA isn't a ground for hustling, things are tough. Go to Europe or wherever!
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by esere826: 2:19pm On Apr 16, 2015
esere826:

My straight forward and emotive answer would be yes, they should avoid going to places were there is a greater probability that they could be killed

However, I understand that life doesn't work that way, especially when one is also faced with constant life threatening dangers plus economic challenges in the place where one comes from.

So my diplomatic answer would be that those who which to travel to SA should try to gather as much information as possible (positive and negative info) and then use such information to try navigating through the labyrinth that is presently SA.
justwise:

That highlighted phrase was meant to refer to the entire SA (plus any other country were one is more likely to be killed than in the person's current location).

like I said, that particular answer is me being simple and emotive,
......but different from my second suggestion which I think is more realistic.
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by omoharry(f): 2:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
sunnshyn:

SA isn't europe, if Nigerians or other Africans must come to SA, you must come with a purpose! E.g to School, join your family and maybe work in his shop as in the case of Ethiopians, indians and Pakistanis, meet your husband or wife as the case maybe.

How many Africans here in Nigeria has qualification,... you are here talking rubbish.. defending what is bad.. what kind of human being are you..dont worry i hope you pray you never yourself caught up in one of this S.A wicked attack.wicked soul.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by Onilaiscool(f): 2:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
South Africans generally hate foreigners

its not abt them taking their jobs

I joined one of their facebook groups
when I told them I was Nigerian
they started acting mean 2 me

esp their bitchy girls

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
sunnshyn:

I agree with you but my question is this....should they be killed because they went to SA to hustle?
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
esere826:

That highlighted phrase was meant to refer to the entire SA (plus any other country were one is more likely to be killed than in the person's current location).

like I said, that particular answer is me being simple and emotive,
......but different from my second suggestion which I think is more realistic.

So the only solution you see here is that Nigerians and other Africans should avoid SA ?
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by sunnshyn(f): 2:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
justwise:

I agree with you but my question is this....should they be killed because they went to SA to hustle?

Capital NO!!
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by esere826: 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2015
justwise:

So the only solution you see here is that Nigerians and other Africans should avoid SA ?

again...
that was my emotive suggestion

I also gave another suggestion, and we can go further to add that their government should be more proactive.

Whatever works and prevents death. that's what matters
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by sunnshyn(f): 2:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
omoharry:
How many Africans here in Nigeria has qualification,... you are here talking rubbish.. defending what is bad.. what kind of human being are you..dont worry i hope you pray you never yourself caught up in one of this S.A wicked attack.wicked soul.

Next time you quote me, speak politely or do not quote me at all. That being said:

I haven't justified the killings and all and will NEVER do so...

We must always remember that Nigeria and Nigerians are accommodating people...in fact, Nigerians love foreigners and would gladly give jobs to a foreigner(expat) before a citizen. but because we are such people doesn't mean other people are like that. While I was back home I didn't even know there was anything known as resident permit and all. I couldnt even tell an immigrant to a citizen when except by their accent.

3 Likes

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
sunnshyn:

Capital NO!!

That is the point!!!!! If you don't want foreigners in your country then direct your anger to your govt, many Nigerians created their own jobs in SA, they pay into the system, they help boast SA economy just like SA companies in Nigeria does to Nigerian economy.

If some heartless animals start killing foreigners for whatever reason what do you think that will happen to SA in Nigeria and some other Africans countries?

This is not the case of Nigerians or other Africans taking their jobs and women, this is pure jealousy, why did they not apply for those jobs themselves? Or stop raping their women and treat them with some respect?
Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by justwise(m): 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
esere826:

again...
that was my emotive suggestion

I also gave another suggestion, and we can go further to add that their government should be more proactive.

Whatever works and prevents death. that's what matters

To me that is the only sensible thing you have said so far. The killings can not justified simple.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA by merricherios(f): 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
did someone miss the fact that GHANIAN government first of all deported NIGERIANS before the GHANA MUST GO period?ehn. please, whatever it is, let us condemn killing in what ever form or reason it comes. this life wasn't given by man and shouldn't b taken by man. not even your own life should you take. yo all should stop this debate about if Nigeria did it before and jst condemn the act totally and honestly. its not jst African it hapns aluva the world.
ooshinibos:

Am with you bruv , I also disagree with the mass deportation because it gave Nigeria A BAD name then and now ( the Ghanaians still hate Nigerians for this stupid act of people and government ) ..and most importantly it was wrong , it should not have happened for whatever reason.
remember in the 80s there was no ECOWAS treaty and I think that's why the government might have use the loopholes to legally deport the Ghanaians then ..still wrong though

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

See The Chinese Bullet Trains That Can Travel Betw. Lagos & Abuja & Back In 5hrs / Pictures Of Rock With Human Face In Kwara / My Japa Relocation To Moscow Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.