Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,948 members, 7,866,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 08:22 PM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (1412) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1258636 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1409) (1410) (1411) (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) ... (1544) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nickshrapnel: 8:45am On Jan 23, 2022
Minemrys:
Martian manhumter and Tom Curry are in The Flash.
I really hope all these other characters appearance are cameos
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 9:09am On Jan 23, 2022
Nickshrapnel:
I really hope all these other characters appearance are cameos
Substantial. I found it out on the IMDB page with Harry Lennix having a stunt double. Gal Gadot also shot scenes which she unwittingly revealed on Instagram.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 9:50am On Jan 23, 2022
BlackManta:

Anybody remember Joker movie of 2019

Joker was not action packed, it's not even an action movie

Joker had no humor or comedy

Joker did not look like an MCU movie or a comic book movie

Joker was a drama, a sad depressing drama

Joker didn't have Batman, only Joker

A lot of average movie goers think it's overrated

Now my question is this; How did Joker become such a massive success

How did an R rated movie make a billion dollars at the box office

How did Joker outgross Deadpool films which was action packed with great humor

Who contributed to Joker's BO numbers

Average moviegoers or aliens from Pluto

Joker isn't a comic book movie, chief. It thematically touched on a very sensitive topic that is prevalent in the society but often ignored, and for this reason, it resonated with a large number of people.

Furthermore, the Joaquin Phoenix factor cannot be overstated. This is a man who has struggled with mental illness his entire life and had the courage to step up and play a character who is very similar to himself in the worst of ways.

Taking all of this into consideration, it's not surprising that Joker did so well financially; I mean, it's a very grounded journey into the murky waters of mental illness and the apathetic society at large, and frighteningly realistic in the way it portrayed Joker's gradual descent into madness.

It's also rated R, which is always a plus.

One more thing... the runtime is 2 hours, watching it doesn't feel like a chore.

3 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 11:15am On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

Joker isn't a comic book movie, chief. It thematically touched on a very sensitive topic that is prevalent in the society but often ignored, and for this reason, it resonated with a large number of people.

Furthermore, the Joaquin Phoenix factor cannot be overstated. This is a man who has struggled with mental illness his entire life and had the courage to step up and play a character who is very similar to himself in the worst of ways.

Taking all of this into consideration, it's not surprising that Joker did so well financially; I mean, it's a very grounded journey into the murky waters of mental illness and the apathetic society at large, and frighteningly realistic in the way it portrayed Joker's gradual descent into madness.

It's also rated R, which is always a plus.

One more thing... the runtime is 2 hours, watching it doesn't feel like a chore.
Actually, it being R rated isn't a plus. R rated films aren't a guaranteed success. And, the Batman can be all you have said. I mean, it delves into the mind of an orphan, orphans actually, living in a corrupt city that took their childhood from them. It reflects society and alot of things like you are claiming. Like I said, you, we don't know the story yet. So the criticism is unfair.
I can barely sit through an episode of the batwoman series, but I can watch episodes of legend of the seeker non stop for 3 hours. Let it come out before you decide. You may not be interested in the film like I am, but it's strange to criticize it before you even see the first 30 mins of it.

5 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 12:07pm On Jan 23, 2022
Minemrys:

Actually, it being R rated isn't a plus. R rated films aren't a guaranteed success. And, the Batman can be all you have said. I mean, it delves into the mind of an orphan, orphans actually, living in a corrupt city that took their childhood from them. It reflects society and alot of things like you are claiming. Like I said, you, we don't know the story yet. So the criticism is unfair.
I can barely sit through an episode of the batwoman series, but I can watch episodes of legend of the seeker non stop for 3 hours. Let it come out before you decide. You may not be interested in the film like I am, but it's strange to criticize it before you even see the first 30 mins of it.

Box office revenue is not a metric for success. If you're not interested in pandering to a wider audience or not too hanged up on political correct shenanigans, or cushy revenue, rated R is the way to go. It opens a lot of possibilities, one of which is a creative freedom to shape the script whichever way you want. Ergo it's important to note that the unprecedented financial success of Joker as a rated R movie is an outlier, not the norm. It'd be a mistake to expect a rated R movie to make a PG-13 movie kind of money.

The orphaned child with a chip on their shoulder is an overdone trope, and unless The Batman brings something unique to the table, this flick is going to get boring really fast.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 1:40pm On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

Box office revenue is not a metric for success. If you're not interested in pandering to a wider audience or not too hanged up on political correct shenanigans, or cushy revenue, rated R is the way to go. It opens a lot of possibilities, one of which is a creative freedom to shape the script whichever way you want. Ergo it's important to note that the unprecedented financial success of Joker as a rated R movie is an outlier, not the norm. It'd be a mistake to expect a rated R movie to make a PG-13 movie kind of money.

The orphaned child with a chip on their shoulder is an overdone trope, and unless The Batman brings something unique to the table, this flick is going to get boring really fast.
Wait till it's out. I have same views as you though. Basing from the trailers, it isn't showing us anything new or unique other films Batman films specifically haven't done. But them going for 3 hours, then it shows they have something different. Although I am skeptical but I won't judge yet.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 1:48pm On Jan 23, 2022
Minemrys:

Wait till it's out. I have same views as you though. Basing from the trailers, it isn't showing us anything new or unique other films Batman films specifically haven't done. But them going for 3 hours, then it shows they have something different. Although I am skeptical but I won't judge yet.

The three-hour runtime, in my opinion, aggravates the situation significantly. Imagine sitting in a theater for three hours without an intermission, watching a Batman film, and not just any Batman film, but one in which he's stylized as a full-fledged detective tracking down a psychopath. I'm not sure about you, but I reckon it'd be a fate worse than death. I might as well stay home and watch the paint dry.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

The three-hour runtime, in my opinion, aggravates the situation significantly. Imagine sitting in a theater for three hours without an intermission, watching a Batman film, and not just any Batman film, but one in which he's stylized as a full-fledged detective tracking down a psychopath. I'm not sure about you, but I reckon it'd be a fate worse than death. I might as well stay home and watch the paint dry.
Calm down, bros. People sit or stand doing tougher things than that. If the story is good, it will be worth it.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by phr0nesis(m): 4:50pm On Jan 23, 2022
Why the hell are you trying to convince someone to watch a movie. If he wants to watch wet paints dry, let him go ahead. The Batman will be a hit whether he watches it or not

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 5:00pm On Jan 23, 2022
phr0nesis:
Why the hell are you trying to convince someone to watch a movie. If he wants to watch wet paints dry, let him go ahead. The Batman will be a hit whether he watches it or not

I no even understand the point since yesterday sef. undecided

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by phr0nesis(m): 5:54pm On Jan 23, 2022
abduleez1:

I no even understand the point since yesterday sef. undecided
The matter sef tire me.

"Unless The Batman brings something unique to the table, it's going to get boring really fast"

Marvel movies steadily dish out familiar movies and yet we keep watching them. When it's Batman's turn, they have to bring something new. As if the trailer hasn't indicated that The Batman will be different
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 6:22pm On Jan 23, 2022
phr0nesis:

The matter sef tire me.

"Unless The Batman brings something unique to the table, it's going to get boring really fast"

Marvel movies steadily dish out familiar movies and yet we keep watching them. When it's Batman's turn, they have to bring something new. As if the trailer hasn't indicated that The Batman will be different

Lol, me I no get strength for all those back and forth okoto yarns, that's why I just dey background.

Only the back to back trailers you feel something different.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2022
If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Marvel discovered a winning formula, and its first attempt to deviate from it, it did not go well. If its films all look the same, it's only because the fans prefer it that way. Unlike DC, Marvel is aware of its audience.

Conversely, DC is still trying to find its identity, and it could be argued that it would be better off simply giving its long-suffering fans what they want rather than constantly trying to be edgy gritty and stuff. Using the trailers as a guide, Bruce is still the same sulky Billionaire, and Gotham is still groomy as ever, just like in the comics. It's the same old, same old. Honestly, it's fool's gold at this point.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IbrahimMav: 7:02pm On Jan 23, 2022
I read somewhere that the new Batman movie is going to be an origin story. I hope not because if that's the case, it's going to bomb.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 7:11pm On Jan 23, 2022
IbrahimMav:

I read somewhere that the new Batman movie is going to be an origin story. I hope not because if that's the case, it's going to be bomb.

I'm fairly certain it's an origin story, so you can bet your ass it's doomed. If you look at it objectively, it has all the hallmarks of a flop.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 7:28pm On Jan 23, 2022
°°°°°

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 7:28pm On Jan 23, 2022
grin grin grin grin

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nickshrapnel: 7:29pm On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

I'm fairly certain it's an origin story, so you can bet your ass it's doomed. If you look at it objectively, it has all the hallmarks of a flop.
If I’m still alive by March, I will come back to quote this. smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nickshrapnel: 7:29pm On Jan 23, 2022
IbrahimMav:

I read somewhere that the new Batman movie is going to be an origin story. I hope not because if that's the case, it's going to be bomb.
What is an origin story?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by IbrahimMav: 7:37pm On Jan 23, 2022
Nickshrapnel:
What is an origin story?
The prologue, the beginning of batman
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2022
Nickshrapnel:
If I’m still alive by March, I will come back to quote this. smiley

If my prediction comes to past like I'm sure it will, you're to start addressing me as "Oracle" just as God intended.

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by VerifiedStalin: 7:46pm On Jan 23, 2022
abduleez1:
grin grin grin grin

TLDR; Batman's origin.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nickshrapnel: 8:12pm On Jan 23, 2022
IbrahimMav:

The prologue, the beginning of batman
I know what an origin story is, I’m just trying to understand your own definition of an origin story. The movie is set in year 2 i.e he’s been Batman for more than a year. This to me is not an origin story.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nickshrapnel: 8:12pm On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

If my prediction comes to past like I'm sure it will, you're to start addressing me as "Oracle" just as God intended.
Which I will grin
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by AnfieldFan: 9:02pm On Jan 23, 2022
VerifiedStalin:

It won't, you're neglecting something critical- It's a Batman movie and I can't imagine a Batman movie failing in this era same way I can't imagine a Spidey movie failing...
These are fan favorites and people will always troop to them.
If it makes 500m, it would turn a decent profit considering it's budget isn't up to 150.(I know a lot has been spent on marketing but my point still stands)
But to WB and people conversant with the industry, anything short of 800 would be discouraging
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by phr0nesis(m): 10:17pm On Jan 23, 2022
abduleez1:

Lol, me I no get strength for all those back and forth okoto yarns, that's why I just dey background.

Only the back to back trailers you feel something different.
Me sef na regular observer I be.
I de check to see better updates only to de see negative yarns up and down.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Emmynator(m): 11:00pm On Jan 23, 2022
Peacemaker
9/10 for me.
Mehn, i was hyoed for it and they didn't disappoint.

Plus it has to be the first series where i watch the intor every episode. The dance intro is mad, something different and unique.

Gunn is gooder cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Emmynator(m): 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2022
Naomi.
7.5/10.
I didn't know what to expect from the series, but it is doing fairly well.
Nice one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Emmynator(m): 11:24pm On Jan 23, 2022
Superman and Lois
7/10
Still too CW for my liking cheesy
But good plot so far.
But Sarah turning Les on Jon should be heartbreaking grin
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 6:59am On Jan 24, 2022
Concept Arts Of Aquaman's Third Act

#Xavier

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Skseries: 11:01am On Jan 24, 2022
Minemrys:

My point exactly. I don't recall interstellar or Inception being flops. I wouldn't say they're coming to their senses, WB have directors they trust more or perhaps it was in the contract they signed with Reeves regarding any external interference as to the shape or nature of the movie prior to him agreeing to sign up. I don't know but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
I think they just trust some directors more, funny part is na 3hrs movie dey interest me pass because I feel it will have more content.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Skseries: 11:07am On Jan 24, 2022
Kaycee7:
Interstellar wasn't action-packed/humorous and yet grossed $700 million.
The storytelling just needs to be compelling. And that's not exactly impossible for a Batman story.
are ppl really bothered Abt the length of films or is it just me that don't? Most fantastic movies are over two hrs long even NWH and ppl still crave for more, what matters is the story telling

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1409) (1410) (1411) (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) ... (1544) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free?

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.