Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,248 members, 7,860,566 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:45 PM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1255217 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (1543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 4:57pm On Aug 01, 2016
Hahahahaha....to y'all who don't like Mr Snyder

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 4:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
This is so cool, huh...

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MJBOLT: 5:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
MrEverything:

What are you even saying bros none of the avengers had anything to do with the story in civil war except cap and tony,then Bucky and T'challa.....how on earth does bvs not have great performances did you watch the same bvs,even lex people are hating on did pretty good,he reinvented the character and he wasn't even playing lex but lex jnr so I dont get the hate...darkseid wasn't in the movie bro,doomsday was there to unite the trinity,he was essentially a plan B lex jnr had for supes...wonder woman and the rest just had cameos so you'd get a taste of future installments....This DC marvel argument is frustrating self cause it'll never end we're all entitled to our opinions too me sha DC is way better

Well said

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MrEverything: 5:21pm On Aug 01, 2016
TonySpike:
This is so cool, huh...

This is pretty dope art...do you have more?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MJBOLT: 7:04am On Aug 02, 2016
BOX OFFICE: Suicide Squad Now Tracking For Record Breaking $140 Million Opening Weekend ‪#‎SuicideSquad‬
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by kryptonian1987(m): 7:09am On Aug 02, 2016
MJBOLT:

How? At least "Civil War" was actually well-written and had great performances and a compelling story. Not to mention the fact that the Black Panther and Spider-Man are actually relevant to the story and have prominent roles in the movie. What purpose did Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, Doomsday, and Darkseid have being in BvS?

Civil War is well written and had a compelling story??.. hahahha...!
bro, do you really know what compelling story means at all?
that over bloated movie with fight fight fight and no sufficient strong reasons while doing so! there's nothing compelling there! no momentum! no thrill and intense like someone is going to die in that movie....lol!
a whole Civil War without any notion that things might get nasty or tough.
just imagine War machine falling from a height, roughly 1000+ feets and at the end he only sustained a minor injury.

you see, just to use their cash cow (tony stark) to gather more audiences, they literally rendered virtually all the rest characters partially brain dead.
what was vision thinking when Iron man asked him to bring falcon down, without thinking of (move fast to grab him before smashing to the ground) saving him? Yet, the same vision had been very reluctant to engage in their fight (though, fight kinda looked like chics throwing pillows at each others. That is, the airport fight) because of his high morality standard towards humans...
I guess, just to appeal the younger (kiddies) audiences, right?

the reason why those characters were there is simply means: "Planetary security " bro...!
someone need to check on those metahumans!
was that so difficult to decipher?
Moreover, Darkseid wasn't in the movie. it was his minions (parademons and Steppanwolf) that were in BvS.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by friendlyadvice: 8:32am On Aug 02, 2016
#SuicideSquad 3days to go
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MJBOLT: 8:33am On Aug 02, 2016
kryptonian1987:

Civil War is well written and had a compelling story??.. hahahha...!
bro, do you really know what compelling story means at all?
that over bloated movie with fight fight fight and no sufficient strong reasons while doing so! there's nothing compelling there! no momentum! no thrill and intense like someone is going to die in that movie....lol!
a whole Civil War without any notion that things might get nasty or tough.
just imagine War machine falling from a height, roughly 1000+ feets and at the end he only sustained a minor injury.

you see, just to use their cash cow (tony stark) to gather more audiences, they literally rendered virtually all the rest characters partially brain dead.
what was vision thinking when Iron man asked him to bring falcon down, without thinking of (move fast to grab him before smashing to the ground) saving him? Yet, the same vision had been very reluctant to engage in their fight (though, fight kinda looked like chics throwing pillows at each others. That is, the airport fight) because of his high morality standard towards humans...
I guess, just to appeal the younger (kiddies) audiences, right?

the reason why those characters were there is simply means: "Planetary security " bro...!
someone need to check on those metahumans!
was that so difficult to decipher?
Moreover, Darkseid wasn't in the movie. it was his minions (parademons and Steppanwolf) that were in BvS.

Who is this bone head na?? Argument has ended so shut da F.up

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MrEverything: 11:18am On Aug 02, 2016
Suicide squad advanced screening imdb review I hope it doesn't change when mumu rotten tomatoes come and find excuse to hate the way they did bvs...I can't wait for august 5th

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 3:58pm On Aug 02, 2016
Suicide Squad reviews are dropping this evening. I hope it turns out well... grin
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by CzarRex: 4:54pm On Aug 02, 2016
lol!

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 6:02pm On Aug 02, 2016
Reviews have finally started dropping for Suicide Squad. IGN rated the movie 5.9/10...Pheeews.i also saw a Telegraph review just now. I hope the movie can make 7.5 in the very least. Oya, Rotten Tomato and Metacritic, do your thing !!!
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 6:14pm On Aug 02, 2016
Suicide Squad's a bad movie [according to reviews] the DC haterz are coming. The DC haterz are coming.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by friendlyadvice: 6:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
Minemrys:
Suicide Squad's a bad movie [according to reviews]
the DC haterz are coming. The DC haterz are coming.
TonySpike:
Reviews have finally started dropping for Suicide Squad. IGN rated the movie 5.9/10...Pheeews.i also saw a Telegraph review just now. I hope the movie can make 7.5 in the very least. Oya, Rotten Tomato and Metacritic, do your thing !!!

grin Have faith my brodas aug 5th is 3 days away
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2016
friendlyadvice:

grin Have faith my brodas aug 5th is 3 days away
The reviews are out, both on metacritic and RT.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 02, 2016
suicide squad has only been out 1 day and it has already made 150million dollars, marvel are you taking notes
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MrEverything: 6:39pm On Aug 02, 2016
Minemrys:
Suicide Squad's a bad movie [according to reviews]
the DC haterz are coming. The DC haterz are coming.

I'm telling you,it's because it's cool to hate DC now
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by friendlyadvice: 6:47pm On Aug 02, 2016
TonySpike:
The reviews are out, both on metacritic and RT.
RT has no consensus yet tho, I read the ign review man! that was mean
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by friendlyadvice: 6:53pm On Aug 02, 2016
@tonyspike never mind, I just saw the ratings on RT
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by parrotibaba(m): 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2016
**wraps mouth with sellotape**

Still looking forward to the movie and it's extended edition.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MJBOLT: 9:44pm On Aug 02, 2016
Rotten Tomatoes as usual

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by waywardpikin: 9:55pm On Aug 02, 2016
The reviews are trickling in guys and unfortunately they aren't very flattering:

Hard-ass Amanda Waller sees the arrival of Superman as a wake-up call. She uses the fear his power instills to bully the U.S. Government into letting her assemble Task Force X, a group of their worst incarcerated criminals. The intent is to send the team on suicide missions against super-powered threats in exchange for time off their rather lengthy sentences. Thus, the movie enters its best stretch as we cue the stylistic intros for hitman-for-hire Deadshot (Will Smith), violent and Joker-obsessed Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), black-magic witch Enchantress (Cara Delevingne), tatted-up pyro El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), human crocodile Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), and Australian pile of useless Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney).
Even though the film makes no attempt to explain why each member’s skills are valuable, you can see why Deadshot’s unerring aim, Harley’s underworld intel, Croc’s monstrous strength and the rest would be an asset on a mission, but Boomer sticks out as particularly inept. In the comic book by John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell, his antagonistic, scummy personality was a hilarious highlight and he proved himself on the battlefield with his deadly boomerangs, but the movie makes such little use of him it’s a wonder he was included at all.
It’s when the Squad goes on their first (and only) mission to stop a vague, world-ending scheme that the movie takes a nosedive. That this is about 20 minutes in is not a good sign. It’s never quite clear what the mission is or how they’re going about attaining their goal. Action scenes happen, but they’re little more than time-filling montages as we watch the team bulldoze through dozens of henchmen that pose zero threat, even to the guy with the boomerangs. There’s never a sense that this specialized team was truly needed for this particular mission, especially because team leader Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman) also brought along a squad of elite, obedient troopers with big machine guns.
Kinnaman’s Flag lacks the commanding presence you’d expect from someone who needs to keep a group of murderers, thieves and psychopaths in line. The romance between his character and June Moone (the human host of Enchantress) fails to inspire anything but an eyeroll.

Enchantress herself is one misfire after another. A powerful, unpredictable character in the source material, she becomes a generic spellcaster proclaiming loud mystic things in the movie. She’s also one of few female characters to have a sensible costume in the comics, only for the filmmakers turn her into a bikini-wearing witch who must kiss men to put them under her thrall. Delevingne’s talents are put to poor use as her character either acts the frail love interest as Moone or the bland sorceress as Enchantress.
Not much is made of El Diablo, who starts with the potential to be a sleeper hit character. His story beats and revelations feel crammed in, ruining their appeal. And even though we learn that El Diablo is more than he appears to be, it’s hard to truly care at that point in the movie.
So little is done for Slipknot that it’s hard to believe I’m even taking the time to write this sentence about him.

Smith’s Deadshot is the most well-rounded character, although his “I’m not so bad because I love my daughter” story arc veers to the cheesy side. That’s one example of a larger problem: the writing aims to manipulate your emotions instead of engage them. Yet Deadshot’s smugness is endearing, and it goes a long way in making Suicide Squad somewhat enjoyable despite its flaws.

Viola Davis completely owns the role of Waller. Unflinching, uncompromising, and downright mean. She reeks of preparedness and shrewd intelligence. A brazen, unstoppable woman with steely determination. She dominates everyone she shares a scene with and makes them look ten times as small. It’s when the Squad embarks on their mission and she takes a backseat that the movie noticeably loses its steam. If the DC Extended Universe wants to flourish and expand, it would do well to make Waller an integral part of it.
Robbie’s Harley Quinn is not the scene-stealer the trailers would have you believe. For as popular as the character has become since her Batman: The Animated Series debut, it’s hard to imagine anyone could do her justice, but Robbie certainly looks the part and dances the line of sincerely cheery and seriously crazy quite well. It’s when it comes to landing her numerous jokes that things fall a bit flat, her comedic energy and timing not quite right. That said, her presence among the self-serious team members is a welcome one, and even though they’re under constant threat of death, she keeps things lively with her bubbly yet deranged attitude.
Quinn’s perverse relationship with the Joker (Jared Leto) is a core element of her story. It’s never a dull moment when they share the screen together. However, we never learn why she fell in love with the Joker. From their earliest flashback, she is completely obsessed with him, leaving out the key factor of how someone could ever fall for the most psychotic and vicious of all villains.

While the Joker does get a decent bit of screen time, his subplot abruptly cuts across the movie rather than move in tandem with it, never amounting to anything of substance. His character feels forced upon the movie rather than smartly woven into it. The animated feature Batman: Assault on Arkham saw the Suicide Squad battling Batman on one side and the Joker on the other, which, looking back, seems like the smarter way to play it.
Leto’s performance as the Joker is unnerving and full of oddities. Don’t expect an explanation for all the tattoos and those teeth; he comes fully formed as the Clown Prince of Crime, this time with a prison gangster spin. He feels dangerous and off-kilter, as you’d expect, but he never gets a “Want to know how I got these scars?” sequence. Maybe that’s because this isn’t his story, as he’s more an accent to Harley Quinn’s arc, but it also feels strange to have a new movie Joker that doesn’t make a big impact. Leto’s behind-the-scenes antics involving rats and used condoms would lead you to believe we were getting a much more extreme version of the Joker.
With the Joker not being utilized as the main villain, we’re instead forced to endure some out-of-left-field antagonists that are a perfect example of everything we don’t like about comic book movie villains. Generic plan, uncompelling motive, immediately forgettable. The comic book saw the Squad being sent on black ops missions into countries “real” superheroes couldn’t touch, where they battled superpowered terrorists while trying not to cause an international incident. The threat they face in the movie feels a better fit for the talents of the Ghostbusters rather than a secret hit squad whose expertise lie with bullets and knives.
With the movie featuring a band of misfits in way over their heads, accompanied by a soundtrack of pop hits, it’s hard to not compare Suicide Squad to Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. As if to hammer home that Squad is also supposed to be a quirky good time, Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit in the Sky” is also used, although in less compelling fashion than in Guardians. In fact, all the songs in Squad are hit or miss, with only a few fitting in well.

This isn’t to say that Squad is trying to be Guardians, far from it, but where Guardians shined is where Squad missed: making its cast of peculiar characters relatable and entertaining. At least one Squad member is used as nothing but cannon fodder. Others, like Katana and Croc, only exist to kill things, with any attempt to service their characters coming off as awkward. There’s a lack of cohesion, purpose and meaning behind the team. There’s a moment of unity at the end, as you’d expect, but it doesn’t feel earned.
The Suicide Squad, by design, isn’t supposed to inspire a feeling of rallying heroism like when the Avengers assemble, but the team members should make us feel something . The movie beats us over the head with the idea that these folks are truly despicable, and then it goes out of its way to show us they’re not so bad, and that’s normally when a movie like this hooks you, but instead it lands in an uninteresting middle ground. There’s tragedy and dramatic irony to their story, but the movie glosses over it instead of sinking its teeth in.
The movie's costume designer did a bang-up job translating a group of DC's wackier characters into the real world. The designs both embrace each original concept and give everyone some unexpected flair. They look like a cool group of bad people. But the inspired clothing choices aren't enough to make up for the movie's lack of ingenuity, especially in the latter two-thirds. Every “twist” that comes, if you can even call them that, can be seen a mile away, and none seismically affect the trajectory of the plot or the emotions of the characters. For a movie called Suicide Squad, it feels strange for it to play everything so safe.

The movie makes blatant yet fun ties to the rest of the DCEU, and not just the appearance of Batman glimpsed in the trailers. There’s also a post-credits scene that won’t exactly get you pumped for what’s next as much as remind you there are still more movies to come. As a chapter in a larger story of interconnected movies, it’s hard to say how Suicide Squad fits in. It doesn’t bend over backwards to set up other movies, one of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s biggest sins, which is a relief. And it gifts us a few standout characters that could show up as anti-heroes or villains in upcoming DC flicks, or even spin off into their own feature. Ultimately, Suicide Squad never amounts to much as a film, and so what looked to be a much-needed course correction for the DCEU has instead become the third strike against it.
is a decidedly different flavor than Batman v Superman. It goes for subversive, funny and stylish, and it succeeds wildly during the first act. But then the movie turns into something predictable and unexciting. It plods on, checking off boxes on a list of cliched moments and meaningless plot points, making you wonder where all the razzle-dazzle went. The movie feels thin, and with such little meat on the bone, it almost makes you appreciate how overstuffed Batman v Superman was (despite that being its downfall). Amanda Waller and Deadshot nail their roles, and Harley Quinn makes a fine cinematic debut, but there’s not much to be said about the rest of the ensemble cast -- and as disappointing as it is to say, that includes the Joker. Suicide Squad is more like writer-director David Ayer’s flat-footed Fury than his razor-sharp Training Day (which he wrote), making for another unsatisfying entry in the DCEU.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by MJBOLT: 9:57pm On Aug 02, 2016
Wonder Woman is gonna be DC big break
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by waywardpikin: 10:04pm On Aug 02, 2016
MJBOLT:
Wonder Woman is gonna be DC big break

I hope so bro cos frankly they're ruining these characters for us. Can you just imagine? If you have watched the animated Batman: Assault On Arkham, you will appreciate the potentials that Suicide Squad has. The whole animated feature film was balanced in terms of story telling, acting, action, etc. The people in charge are not doing a good.enough job. Simple.

But I go still watch am for cinema sha. My only point is that IG something is truly good, it speaks for itself. So anyone saying that hating on DC movies is the new cool thing to do is only consoling himself. In every joke there is an element of truth.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 1:17am On Aug 03, 2016
Guys check out my take on The CW Flashpoint. www.yeyepikin.com/2016/08/flashpoint-the-good-the-great-the-flash/
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by seribroo56(m): 8:22am On Aug 03, 2016
This is bad, just too bad. Man of steel came out critics said it was the worst CBM ever (RT ), fast-forward bvs then critics said BVS is actually the worst cbm(RT 27) now Suicide squad comes up and they have passed the baton(34%). I refuse to believe that BVS was so bad it deserved 27%., but Thor the dark world was so good it had 66%. OK ooo
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 8:26am On Aug 03, 2016
Can't think of the m0st embarassed fandom than the DC fandom.
"3 movies in the dceu, we've seen what promises are. How many good reviews are left? How many stay that way?"
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 8:39am On Aug 03, 2016
Minemrys:
Can't think of the m0st embarassed fandom than the DC fandom.
"3 movies in the dceu, we've seen what promises are. How many good reviews are left? How many stay that way?"

I will see Suicide Squad myself to form my own opinion. At this point, I won't rule out conspiracies or intentional sabotage. I suspect that WB studio is also interfering in these movies forcefully. Because most of these complaints are pacing and editing, same with BvS.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by friendlyadvice: 8:43am On Aug 03, 2016
#SuicideSquad 2 days to go
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by forreelinc(m): 9:29am On Aug 03, 2016
1.Cancel the DCEU or they will keep comparing it with the MCU

2. Stop over hyping/spoiling your movies
in the trailers So it won't be so predictable

Gosh! it's like dc never learns
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by scaramenga: 9:35am On Aug 03, 2016

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 9:38am On Aug 03, 2016
Am Pro cancel the DCEU. Its the best. Just keep making superman and batman films. Or WB should forget it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (1543) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.