Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) (18440 Views)

Framework Or A CMS For An E-commerce Website? / HELP: I Need WYSIWYG INTEGRATED INTO A CMS / How To Build A CMS! Freedom From Wordpress.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by AwesomeRomeo: 4:41pm On Apr 24, 2015
tongue
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Clementor(m): 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
nepa don bring light!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by doreenvee(f): 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
Thumb up although,I didn't read all.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Kelvin3028(m): 4:47pm On Apr 24, 2015
Mtweeee
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 24, 2015
So OP, what is your alternative to Wordpress because i must admit, you raised some very valid points there. i am a perfectionist and to tell you the truth, WP doesn't give me 100% satisfaction.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by niyyie(m): 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2015
WordPress is the best CMS. Period.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Dahjhi: 4:56pm On Apr 24, 2015
embarassed

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by MKO4ever(m): 4:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
What are you guys talking about?
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 24, 2015
pcguru1:
For more information here is a link
http://processwire.com/about/why/

However Processwire doesn't support namespacing yet and stuff however it's something am willing to live with as the framework is flexible

ONCE AGAIN: This is not to bash WordPress wordpress is awesome when used as a blog but when it goes beyond that trust me you will go through hell. Anyone who has tried to extend Wordpress to do more than blogging will tell you the pain, those who do Woocommerce extensions and the rest do it because Wordpress is profitable and truly it is, I get paid to fix Wordpress issues or write plugins. But for personal complicated projects I don't use it at all. Ciao

Feel free to comment.

Hunger dey catch me cry

Someone feels my pain. I moved to html and pure .php last year November. I still love Wordpress but not for my bulk jobs. I remember spending 10hours to upload Wordpress files because I designed offline and I ended up with broken images and links. My first pure .php site didn't take an hour to upload. Also the woo-commerce themes and plugins ....urrrgggghhhh no ways, .php gave me a fast route.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by GodMode: 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
$.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
I haven't used Joomla much, I have been in love with WordPress from the first time I stumbled upon it but it is too heavy. Imagine spending hours making your own theme and customizing it and it looks beautiful only for it to take ages to upload. I still include WordPress into my .php works as the blog or just hyperlink the blog script to a WordPress blog. Wordpress is like a babe you love but she just doesn't want to watch her weight. Now her lovers are leaving her. I'd forever remember WordPress for saving me from Blogger.com and leading me to pure script coding.

1 Like

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
niyyie:
niyyie:

No body is saying WordPress is the worst CMS but they are bottle neck attached yo it.

I for one hate WordPress Database design. Have you tried using MongoDb? Or any of the NoSql Database, you will see designs of database system and learn to aprecistr it.

WordPress Database is crap, when you build a plugin you may end up adding a row or deleting a row in installation.

Also if you are used to programming in OOP and a string fan of framework ( I am Pro YIi2 ) then you do understand why procedural is difficult. I have used WordPress , modified it beyond recognition but truth be told you just end up spending hours over things that can be easily completed using a class in OOP.

WordPress needs a total overhaul, I hate joonla do the the JController pattern and their MVC is really not MVC but I say HMVC, the JTemplate, JView , Jcontroller, Jcomponents for front and separate Jcomponents for back end. Gosh!!!! Who does that?

With Yii I ensure admin page for a section e.g Post Blog and frontend for View Blog uses one controller.

All I do is to set up rules in router to ensure that any method starting with Admin_ can be read only through specially designed URLs. I wish joomla can address all this.

1 Like

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 24, 2015
GodMode:

Become proficient in another CMS (joomla or drupal).. but program using php..

Someone told me about Drupal one time, but I haven't considered it yet.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 24, 2015
In pure .php, except it is needed, I don't need to carry database around and start renaming and un-naming databases. I still love WordPress though.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:19pm On Apr 24, 2015
@Pcguru1

Nice to see you still using Yii. However I don't seem to get your love for Dojikit. Lol! JavaScript Freak. I just love using Jquery and AngularJs( lazy me). I think Dojokit is hard.

Also why don't you give Yii2 a try and see things change. I am enjoying it.

Cc: Mizmycoli
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:21pm On Apr 24, 2015
rhema4u:

Someone told me about Drupal one time, but I haven't considered it yet.

Drupal is nice , especially Drupal 8 I love drupal and it's rooting system. But I still think drupal needs to learn a lot if things
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by MizMyColi(f): 5:22pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:
@Pcguru1

Nice to see you still using Yii. However I don't seem to get your love for Dojikit. Lol! JavaScript Freak. I just love using Jquery and AngularJs( lazy me). I think Dojokit is hard.

embarassed
Confused...
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
MizMyColi:

embarassed
Confused...

Just speak HTML.

1 Like

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:
in zf2, you spend a lot of time writing unnecessary codes which defeats the essence of using a framework. But on the other hand, I love the extensions — especially the web service extensions that comes with it

Zend has just been too bogus right from Zend1, so I didn't even look into Zend 2. Thetthing with Zend attracting developers is that it is backed by big dogs.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:
@Pcguru1

Have you tried designing and developing yourself from the scratch? #bliss!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:

Drupal is nice , especially Drupal 8 I love drupal and it's rooting system. But I still think drupal needs to learn a lot if things

I'd look into it
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 24, 2015
I do backend php editing on Wordpress.the sight of .html and .php scripts turn me on!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:36pm On Apr 24, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:

my emphasis is on the word unnecessary . for example just compare the routing management in zf2 and Yii2. Me think that companies that make use of zf2 are rather more concerned with the name and possible prestige than productivity — I may be wrong though

You are right and not wrong. In Zend you encounter problems and difficulties.

. No need for yaml, no need to specify every route through the site, no need to use twig or smarty, and it comes with integrated bootstrap 3 widgets, right out of the box. Yii 2 also provides an advanced template, with front-end and back-end, with working user model and password recovery, making it easier to get up and running quickly. Yii 2's event and behaviors architecture is feature-rich and intuititive. Yii 2 flows beautifully.

Ultimately, for a capable programmer, it's a matter of personal preference, which style you feel connected to... Persoanlly I prefer Yii 2 far and above the other frameworks, while still respecting the other frameworks.

However, much of this can't be said for Zend2. I must also point out that laravrl has followed this path of over bloatedness, laravel is crappy now
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
rhema4u:

Have you tried designing and developing yourself from the scratch? #bliss!

Lol. Its difficult. I get. I did those days. However today I just buy templates and give it a few touches.
rhema4u:
I do backend php editing on Wordpress.the sight of .html and .php scripts turn me on!
But you know WordPress is meant to be worked on using plugins. Not really Php editing of raw filed
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:

Lol. Its difficult. I get. I did those days. However today I just buy templates and give it a few touches.
But you know WordPress is meant to be worked on using plugins. Not really Php editing of raw filed

There are changes I need to make in the theme I just back up the script, edit it and run mine. Most times I find plugins after I have finished my .php work.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 5:46pm On Apr 24, 2015
rhema4u:

There are changes I need to make in the theme I just back up the script, edit it and run mine. Most times I find plugins after I have finished my .php work.

Lol @ finding plugins after work done. WordPress can be a nightmare. That's if you are so used to the OOP way of life as used on frameworks. However if am to use a CMS for a heavy customized Job I will go for Drupal
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:

Lol @ finding plugins after work done. WordPress can be a nightmare. That's if you are so used to the OOP way of life as used on frameworks. However if am to use a CMS for a heavy customized Job I will go for Drupal

This Drupal needs my attention sha. Someone would come and tell me, there's a plugin for so and so but who cares about updating plugins when you know where .php is.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 24, 2015
I guess GTBank uses Joomla....
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:
What are you guys talking about?

Just read carefully and you would understand. I believe in you!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
Absolutely love it when geeks write. I used wordpress in 2012 after trying to develop a news aggregation site(google has done that already, why will you want to do that) Using php, php gave me a a lot of problem so i switched to CMS. It might be simple for you guyz anyway. i discovered a plugin in wordpress that was able to acheive that, i modified the code and it worked fine, before my site was destroyed with spam. Its been a while that i have done any web Development project. Infact its like i am a novice now.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by hahn(m): 6:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
talk2hb1:
I learn not use WordPress for complex application in 2012 when I decided to build a Bulk SMS portal with, although it works fine but I spent 90% of my useful time working on the project. At the end of the day here is my conclusion about WordPress:
#) See WordPress as a plane that could fly and will take you for a smooth ride. with capability to fly within your country zone.
#) Joomla as a Beautiful Plane that could take you on a ride with enough effizy. This plane could take you from one continent to another without any hitch.
#) Drupal as a super Jumbo Multipurpose engine plane that allow you to add Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, Hotel, Football field, etc to it. The plane will not only take you on intercontinental flight but on inter Galactic flight.
In conclusion trying to build a Complex Project like online store with WordPress is like trying to kill an elephant with a kitchen Knife, while building a simple Blogging website with Drupal is like killing a Fly with Bazooka grin grin grin.
http://www.qlickas.com/2015/04/21/wordpress-versus-joomlah-versus-drupal/
Regards Habeeb Salami

Wow! You're the only person who managed to use English on that thread. That op has an evil agenda to blow up dull brains like mine. Hehehe

So what you're saying is that Drupal(I'm only hearing it for the first time) is better, right? If it is, do you have ny link to an ebook I can download to understand it better.

To say I'm a newbie would be an understatement so I'd appreciate it if you can reply in plain English. I built an online store, www.theniministore.com, using wordpress but I need something more professional.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated ie if you reply in plain English grin
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by hahn(m): 6:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
buzquet:
Pls am confused here ooo! But I thought Ajax is a football club?

It is. They're actually referring to the Ajax football club in Ghana

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coding Looks Cool. / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.