Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,210 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) (18438 Views)

Framework Or A CMS For An E-commerce Website? / HELP: I Need WYSIWYG INTEGRATED INTO A CMS / How To Build A CMS! Freedom From Wordpress.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 6:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
Please i nid advice on a cms that will let me code the website in html, css, jscript and jquery...
I mean the design bcomes very customizable with pure design coding.
Pcguru1, any suggestion.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by axglide(m): 7:36pm On Apr 24, 2015
I never tried or used any other CMS except Drupal. Organisation is top notch and the coding is fantastic. It has a very stable code base. I was impressed with it from the very beginning; thou the learning curve was steep; cry it helped introduced me to PHP in another dimension. All the sites i have done are currently been powered by Drupal.

Also the fastest PHP MVC Framework in town (i stand to be corrected) is Phalcon PHP. You can check it out @ http://phalconphp.com/en/
Its actually fast, you will think your browser have not refreshed during dev. grin grin
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by abubaka101: 7:44pm On Apr 24, 2015
hahn:

Wow! You're the only person who managed to use English on that thread. That op has an evil agenda to blow up dull brains like mine. Hehehe

So what you're saying is that Drupal(I'm only hearing it for the first time) is better, right? If it is, do you have ny link to an ebook I can download to understand it better.

To say I'm a newbie would be an understatement so I'd appreciate it if you can reply in plain English. I built an online store, www.theniministore.com, using wordpress but I need something more professional.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated ie if you reply in plain English grin
That website looks quite mature. Good job.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2015
Kelvin3028:
Mtweeee

Pls this is programming section you either comment to argue for or against . This is not romance section so comments like this potray your ignorance
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2015
prince3009:
So OP, what is your alternative to Wordpress because i must admit, you raised some very valid points there. i am a perfectionist and to tell you the truth, WP doesn't give me 100% satisfaction.

Am gonna lie its tricky , even with processwire I still encounter issues. To be honest the best so far is Yii framework but its not a CMS. Look at it but if you want I can write an article on using processwire for you guys.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
Dahjhi:
embarassed

Lol am sorry in my office this is even small. We are discussing about content management system but from a developer's point of view
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:

No body is saying WordPress is the worst CMS but they are bottle neck attached yo it.

I for one hate WordPress Database design. Have you tried using MongoDb? Or any of the NoSql Database, you will see designs of database system and learn to aprecistr it.

WordPress Database is crap, when you build a plugin you may end up adding a row or deleting a row in installation.

Also if you are used to programming in OOP and a string fan of framework ( I am Pro YIi2 ) then you do understand why procedural is difficult. I have used WordPress , modified it beyond recognition but truth be told you just end up spending hours over things that can be easily completed using a class in OOP.

WordPress needs a total overhaul, I hate joonla do the the JController pattern and their MVC is really not MVC but I say HMVC, the JTemplate, JView , Jcontroller, Jcomponents for front and separate Jcomponents for back end. Gosh!!!! Who does that?

With Yii I ensure admin page for a section e.g Post Blog and frontend for View Blog uses one controller.

All I do is to set up rules in router to ensure that any method starting with Admin_ can be read only through specially designed URLs. I wish joomla can address all this.
I have been reading it sadly I haven't created a project in it. I like Yii2 am seriously gonna create my own content management system since I have a food knowledge of most systems and gow thwir architecture work . But I want to know how events in Yii2 work fast. My guy yii is the best oh.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Dahjhi: 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
pcguru1:

Lol am sorry in my office this is even small. We are discussing about content management system but from a developer's point of view
lol I knew. I'm just a starter in web design
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by cobsol(m): 8:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
A friend of mine write all his scriptings in notpad from thr developing the template to database to database connection strings. You need to see how light and smooth it comes out.

Speaking of wordpress as a dummy bulder, I almost got mad with the level of sparm I receive frm robborts everyday. Moreso wordpress is so pron to easy hacks.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 24, 2015
Ymodulus:
@Pcguru1

Nice to see you still using Yii. However I don't seem to get your love for Dojikit. Lol! JavaScript Freak. I just love using Jquery and AngularJs( lazy me). I think Dojokit is hard.

Also why don't you give Yii2 a try and see things change. I am enjoying it.

Cc: Mizmycoli

I use angular ,jquery at work I still prefer my dojo because I can easily create my widgets and extend any existing widgets and use them just like directives in angular. in angular there are so many things I can't do. Like inheriting from a directive. But i love angular too very much. But not as much as dojo.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
axglide:
I never tried or used any other CMS except Drupal. Organisation is top notch and the coding is fantastic. It has a very stable code base. I was impressed with it from the very beginning; thou the learning curve was steep; cry it helped introduced me to PHP in another dimension. All the sites i have done are currently been powered by Drupal.

Also the fastest PHP MVC Framework in town (i stand to be corrected) is Phalcon PHP. You can check it out @ http://phalconphp.com/en/
Its actually fast, you will think your browser have not refreshed during dev. grin grin

Am waiting for drupal 8 though theres one i was evualting in the office. Acquia Drupal this weekend sha
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 24, 2015
If guys can give me next week I can evaluate other good cms/cmf . But right now Drupal is the best except the backward compatibility issue. I was asked to evaluate one called concrete5 it was awesome though uses Laravel which I dont know and also its quite slow.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by hahn(m): 9:36pm On Apr 24, 2015
abubaka101:

That website looks quite mature. Good job.

For real? Thanks a lot
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CoCoLav(f): 10:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
When I was learning CMS, I found Drupal quite easy to use.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Ymodulus: 12:12am On Apr 25, 2015
rhema4u:
I guess GTBank uses Joomla....

Yes. Gtbank front end is Joomla and banking platform is not

Access bank uses Yii for its internet banking platform
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by abbccc(m): 7:38am On Apr 25, 2015
have a glimpse here www.ikeifeadika..com
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 8:54am On Apr 25, 2015
Ymodulus:

You are right and not wrong. In Zend you encounter problems and difficulties.

. No need for yaml, no need to specify every route through the site, no need to use twig or smarty, and it comes with integrated bootstrap 3 widgets, right out of the box. Yii 2 also provides an advanced template, with front-end and back-end, with working user model and password recovery, making it easier to get up and running quickly. Yii 2's event and behaviors architecture is feature-rich and intuititive. Yii 2 flows beautifully.

Ultimately, for a capable programmer, it's a matter of personal preference, which style you feel connected to... Persoanlly I prefer Yii 2 far and above the other frameworks, while still respecting the other frameworks.

However, much of this can't be said for Zend2. I must also point out that laravrl has followed this path of over bloatedness, laravel is crappy now

don't just get the laravel hype either. maybe because it's relatively new or something
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 9:32am On Apr 25, 2015
axglide:

phalcom is the fastest PHP framework but then, it's written in c++, so if you want to peek and see what's really going on, that becomes something else. I think other than phalcom, Yii2 is the fastest PHP framework
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by code7x: 11:15am On Apr 25, 2015
Hi @pcguru @ymodulus and all. pls I need serious help. I'm an old-newbie web designer. I mean I've been using php for over 5 years as an amateur. its kinda difficult starting off without a good teacher. all I know is from ebooks and ebook don't teach how to build websites. they only teach u codes! I have built several websites with static templates lol but some with little php content. I later resorted to using cms and found Wordpress to be quite easy. I use premium (sometimes stolen) themes and my clients have been happy but I am hardly satisfied. I'm not a full time developer but I wish I could get better and probably one stand before gurus like u guys. I wouldn't mind leads on how to get real in this programming business, but practically this time. I'm tired of just reading ebooks that talk about variables, functions and all.
thanks
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 25, 2015
code7x:
Hi @pcguru @ymodulus and all. pls I need serious help. I'm an old-newbie web designer. I mean I've been using php for over 5 years as an amateur. its kinda difficult starting off without a good teacher. all I know is from ebooks and ebook don't teach how to build websites. they only teach u codes! I have built several websites with static templates lol but some with little php content. I later resorted to using cms and found Wordpress to be quite easy. I use premium (sometimes stolen) themes and my clients have been happy but I am hardly satisfied. I'm not a full time developer but I wish I could get better and probably one stand before gurus like u guys. I wouldn't mind leads on how to get real in this programming business, but practically this time. I'm tired of just reading ebooks that talk about variables, functions and all.
thanks

lo stolen themes , lol let me provide some guides.

1. OOP is very important if you know it, you won't have any issues
2. take up a very simple CMS and start with it, you will grow and take up advance stuff as you progress you can try ImpressPages am an author there it's quite easy to use and it's drag and drop I wrote a tutorial for the community.

email me anytime you need assistance i can guide you smiley
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by code7x: 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2015
pcguru1:

lo stolen themes , lol let me provide some guides.

1. OOP is very important if you know it, you won't have any issues
2. take up a very simple CMS and start with it, you will grow and take up advance stuff as you progress you can try ImpressPages am an author there it's quite easy to use and it's drag and drop I wrote a tutorial for the community.

email me anytime you need assistance i can guide you smiley
thanks a lot bro. just sent you a pm. I desire to do one or two things with u
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2015
replied
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by inihood(m): 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2015
I do I install proceewire cms
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Urine: 5:25pm On Apr 28, 2015
CoCoLav:
When I was learning CMS, I found Drupal quite easy to use.

Errand girls dey use drupal?
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
Urine:

Chai haba this username dey unique
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CoCoLav(f): 7:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
Urine:

Stalker embarassed
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Urine: 9:41pm On Apr 28, 2015
CoCoLav:

Stalker embarassed
You wish
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CoCoLav(f): 9:42pm On Apr 28, 2015
Urine:

You wish

Liar!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 28, 2015
am thinking of posting different CMS and their use scenario but i am afraid i might be mistaken for a bot and be banned. @Seun is this alright.
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by CoCoLav(f): 10:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
Urine:

You wish

BTW don't you ever give up? Like WTF!
Re: Why I Dumped Wordpress As A CMS (my Experience) by Urine: 10:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
CoCoLav:

BTW don't you ever give up? Like WTF!
Please don't derail this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coding Looks Cool. / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.