Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. (51945 Views)

Buhari Social Program PART II: Feasible or Laughable? / Barcanista, Buhari's Social Program; More Of A Possibility / Buhari Social Program: Laudable, Laughable Or Dead On Arrival? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jossyreal: 2:21am On Apr 20, 2015
Obi, a lot of people look up to you for direction. It is unacceptable of you to look at issues from the wrong perspective. Instead of advising the incoming soldier man on how to diversify the economy with a view to promoting the Agricultural value chain to create massive employment, you are here telling him to share money. If we continue this way, when are we going to get out of this circle of rots? You are in a better position to tell Buhari the right thing. look at the infrastructure that are in shambles? How do we fix them, if we continue this way. I am beginning to have issues with some Harvard trained Nigerians. We shall soon consider the need to add Harvard education to the myriad of the problems plaguing Nigeria .
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by faithforbetter: 2:21am On Apr 20, 2015
If corruption is eradicated it is possible.The only thing is that it may not take off immediately.You do not need rocket science to know it is very possible.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jossyreal: 2:25am On Apr 20, 2015
Jaypea98:

OP I respect your sheer will.But the truth is that your calculations were a little bit Shallow.
But there is still a lot of hope u know ,mainly because their manifesto was formulated just about last year by great Nigerian economists like Pat Utomi and i m sure these challenges were put into contemplation
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by faithforbetter: 2:32am On Apr 20, 2015
Agriculture revolution alone can cataput us to top ten richest nations in the world.Most crops survive here
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by eaglechild: 3:05am On Apr 20, 2015
Clueless APC kitchen economics.

No wonder they are unable to pay salaries in their states.

Instead of focusing on key sectors that will generate revenue they are here trying to defend the most bogus welfare scheme ever.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by frank043(m): 3:05am On Apr 20, 2015
jmoore:
I am only interested on how he can stabilize world oil price.

Me too. Keenly watching in 15D!

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 20, 2015
barcanista:
This is how things work....

Nigeria Generates revenue from Oil export...

Nigeria PAY Oil companies their own share for Operational Cost (mind you Nigeria is even owing these people).

Na wa 4 you o

Mumu, you just kept parroting the same thing. Nigeria generates blahblah, Nigeria pay(sic) blahblah. Olodo pseudoanalyst.

Park well for inside gutter!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by anonimi: 3:16am On Apr 20, 2015
trillville:

Please, I hope you are not adding the offshore crude oil to your ND figure? Try to separate onshore ND crude from offshore Nigerian crude when u are making any point.

I believe Nigeria also earns money from lng sales and customs too. Agencies such as FAAN make a killing too off taxes at our airports. So please let's calculate government revenue properly.

IF Nigeria breaks, your offshore oil will belong to the ND country that will emerge.

Your other revenue sources only yield micro peanuts compared to ND crude oil and are also derived from oil related activities. So..........
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by anonimi: 3:23am On Apr 20, 2015
gists:

Try and be objective. She also mentioned internally generated revenue.

My only concern is the premise that all the revenue generated belong to FG.

FIRS collects ALL revenue on behalf of the FGN. So her figure is almost 100% ND oil revenue still.

Why do you think our budget is ALL about benchmark crude oil PRICE that our incoming Baba One Chance Buhari has promised to STABILISE

Thanks for raising a very valid point about the 36 states & 774 LGAs also SHARING the national cake aka ND oil.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by trillville(m): 3:25am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

IF Nigeria breaks, your offshore oil will belong to the ND country that will emerge.

Your other revenue sources only yield micro peanuts compared to ND crude oil and are also derived from oil related activities. So..........

If Nigeria breaks, the land mass of the entire ND is too small to claim the deep sea oil wells according to international law so you are wrong my brother.

Secondly, if Nigeria were to have a civil war, it would only end when everybody from one side of the divide is dead, so there is no telling who will end up with the oil.

Finally, I should be sleeping right now, so good night.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by anonimi: 3:36am On Apr 20, 2015
trillville:

If Nigeria breaks, the land mass of the entire ND is too small to claim the deep sea oil wells according to international law so you are wrong my brother.

This must be a joke right? grin grin

How big is Britain, Norway, UAE, Qatar etc

Na true sey you need to sleep. Maybe when you don wake up well well you go review, apologise & amend your post accordingly.

Good night.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Gbawe: 3:43am On Apr 20, 2015
Obiagelli, with all due respect, why did you bother starting this thread? You seem to be one of the APC supporters who appear bothered by what the bitter and malevolent enemies of Nigeria's progress, parading themselves as PDP supporters, have to say. I once told you before the election to ignore them because most are bitter and twisted people who wanted GEJ to win so he could continue destroying Nigeria. You argued that their lies need to be countered lest such be construed as truth which may harm the chances of the APC. What is your excuses now? The APC has won and no APC supporter needs to get in the sewer with these PDP rats anymore. Do you think their hateful heart is open to be convinced by anything you have to say in defence of the plans of the APC? You do not owe them any explanation. Let them think and say the worst. Buhari and tne APC will only disgrace them again and again.

We have now all seen that these PDP Nairalanders are mainly bitter, uncouth, hateful and malevolent losers who only want to engage in Buhari-baiting of APC fans here. Many are irredeemable haters and you will get nothing but insults from them, as you do here, simply because you care about the opinion of losers when you do not have to anymore. Do not let them percieve you a "weak link" they can target and bully. With this thread for example, you have only given them their much desired congregation ground to fight APC here because that is what they badly need to sooth the bitter taste of defeat in their hateful mouths. I would suggest you grow a thick skin and begin ignoring or mocking them as some of us who know their game do. Silence is the best answer for a fool. Especially hateful fools who are in pain.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Mordyb: 4:02am On Apr 20, 2015
Obiagelli:

You are absolutely correct,
10 trillion x 0.52 (52%) = 5.2 trillion naira,

5.2 - 4.6 (2014 budget) = 0.6 trillion.

Remember i put crude production at 2million barrels per day even when the link says 2.5 million bpd, i have not touch other sources of income.
you know our crude apart from bonny light is not in huge demand i doubt Nigeria even sells upto your alleged figure
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by PassingShot(m): 4:37am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

I notice that ALL your revenue projection is based on Niger Delta crude oil. Nothing from groundnut oil, palm oil, coconut oil or other agricultural and industrial revenue.

Why are we only about SHARING the wealth derived from only one part of the country

Because that part of the country still belongs to the country. Whatever is gotten from any part of the country is Nigeria's. After all, the country was sustained and developed with resources from certain parts of it before oil was discovered.

It is our oyel.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by chysam: 4:37am On Apr 20, 2015
ochejoseph:

Honestly Buhari and the APC made many unrealistic promises in the lead up to the election!

Nigerians will hold him and the APC to their words as regards issues like 

1. 5000 naira social security project for the unemployed Young Nigerians

2. 24 hours power supply or 12000MW in 8 months 

3. Naira dollar parity or substantial appreciation 

4. Feeding project for pupils etc 

Oby my dear your analysis did not capture other critical components, statutory deductions and the revenue sharing formula (FG /States /LGA )
Revenue accruals is not like debit and credit. 

Whether or Not Buhari and the APC has the capacity to deliver on these promises ONLY TIME WILL TELL! 

For the sake of Nigeria I pray he succeeds 

May God Continue to Bless this great Nation! 
You are actually praying that he fails,but he won't. Only serious leaders set a lot of high targets as this will make them strive to achieve them thereby helping them in curbing corruption.Those working with him knows his targets and the consequences if he fails considering his qualities and his integrity phenomenon. Asked Libyans if such worked under Gaddafi or not for nearly 4 decades.Yet the revenue was from oil alone.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by anytaij: 5:00am On Apr 20, 2015
No be only class she don collect her own share for d money undecided undecided undecided
barcanista:
@Obiagelli:

FIRS has just told you that Nigeria generate N4.69tr, so what is your argument?
Where are you manufacturing your additional 5trn from? Do you understand economics and mathematics at all? Let me explain for you incase you don't understand how things work...

We export 2m barrel of crude oil daily. These money DoES NOT solely belong to the FG. The OICs and other players takes share from it. Nigeria get some percentage from this money. The FIRS just told you that ALL our revenue for 2014(including tax,import duties etc) stand at N4.67 trn. So where are you getting the additional 5trn? Or where do you think the 4trn came from?

Nigeria PAY Oil companies their own share for Operational Cost (mind you Nigeria is even owing these people).

Nigeria earning in 2014 from oil is $77b ie 1.5tr. Meanwhile, this money is shared between States, FG and LG with about 54% of all generated money going to the Federal(?) While the rest are shared among States and LG

Na wa 4 you o
www.punchng.com/business/energy/nigeria-earned-77bn-from-oil-export-in-2014/

Obiagelli need to enroll for some classes.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Agukagu(m): 5:19am On Apr 20, 2015
Obiagelli:
Officially, Nigeria exports 2 million barrels of crude oil
daily. At the current price of 60 US dollars per barrel, that
translates into 120 million US dollars.

120 million x 365day = 43,800,000,000

43 billion dollars @ 60% ( rumoured sharing formula between Nigeria and oil companies)

That means Nigeria makes 25.8 billion dollars annually.

$25.8 billion x 200 naira = 5.1 trillion naira.

You did not factor in cost of production in your revenue projection. Federal government shares profit from crude oil sales with the oil companies. Crude oil selling $60/barrel does not therefore translate to income of $60/barrel. This is how people like SLS came up with missing $20billion. Anyway GMB will soon be in charge. From 29 May 2015, there will still be freedom of speech but as for freedom after speech you are OYO.

Nigeria's 2014 budget was N4.6 trillion meaning we still have about 0.5 trillion naira change.
www.channelstv.com/2014/04/09/nigerian-senate-passes-4-6-trillion-naira-2014-budget/

FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE

Nigeria generated N4.69tn Revenue in 2014

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/firs-generates-n4-69tn-revenue-in-2014/200484/

Adding N4.69 trillion (firs) + 5.1 trillion (crude oil) = 9.79 trillion.

If our budget was N4.6 trillion then we have a balance of 5.1 trillion naira that nobody accounts for.

Barcanista asked where we will find 1.8 trillion to take care of our most vulnerable citizens, this balance of 5.1 trillion will be taken away from the pockets of criminals and militants.

EDIT.

I forgot the FG gets 52% of total income, even at that we have a balance of 0.6 trillion naira which is sufficient for the first stage of the social programs.
The APC government has said one of its major income earners is the mining industry.

This plans with financial discipline is very much achievable.

Please note that my analysis is based our major source of income ( oil and taxes), i have not touched other income earnings.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by deletrue: 5:20am On Apr 20, 2015
Ngasky:
Good and simple analysis.
Remember the PTF Program the economic prophets of doom both local and international wrote it off as a failed embarked policy at inception. But Nigerians knows better after the program was rounded up. Even the international doom sayers had to admit to the success of the program even without any foreign lending. And who is in charge?
With the op analysis it is possible to achieve the goals.
Even the outgoing govt has the resources to do this but the biggest undoing factor of JEG's failure is STEALING (sorry thats not corruption and cant sack becouse of stealing according to ...)
I believe with all achieved 65-75% of Nigerias income/budget was stolen, thats only 25-35% was utilised. Imaging utilising 90-95% what will be the situation on ground?
If GMB Can fight stealing/corruption Nigeria will be the best destination in Africa in 2 years time.
dust
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by deletrue: 5:29am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

I notice that ALL your revenue projection is based on Niger Delta crude oil. Nothing from groundnut oil, palm oil, coconut oil or other agricultural and industrial revenue.

Why are we only about SHARING the wealth derived from only one part of the country
They are thieves. He nor go work this time. buhari will fail if na other people oil him won rely.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 5:31am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

Because you didn't say this nonsense when the nation's wealth was invested in oil.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by ideykwum: 5:33am On Apr 20, 2015
Sadly, that's how most Nigerians think! They hear about billions of dollars and trillions of Naira, and they hate government for not giving them some! They can't even do the maths nor calm down to analyse the debit and credit considerations on our national current account! Ignorance then is fanned with the wind of prejudice and they go to town with hate, especially when opposition politicians take advantage of that ignorance to whip more sentiments!

gists:

Try and be objective. She also mentioned internally generated revenue.

My only concern is the premise that all the revenue generated belong to FG.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 5:40am On Apr 20, 2015
Flets:
OP like many Nigerians are shallow economists. So many holes can be easily picked from the quack calculations

1a. Where is the 13% derivation to the oil producing states? Or you assumed the FG takes the full 60% of crude sales revenue? .....
and even after 13% deduction, only 54% of the residual 47% (excluding 13% for producing states and 40% for the IOCs) of total crude sales revenue goes to the FG.

1b. FG budget is for FG expenditure alone. FG does not budget for states...... so where are the state allocations funded from since they are not captured in the FG budget?.... for your education, 46% of the residual revenue is meant for states and LGs.

2. Where do you think the capital cost of oil and gas projects come from for which the FG pays its 60% share? Or you think the oil flows on its own without spending money?

3. 2.65trillion of the 4.69trillion IGR you quoted on FIRS is already petroleum profit. Go back check the details and confirm you have double dipped same funds on both sources.

4. Your assumption that FG takes all the IGR generated by FIRS is wrong. Discount the amount accruable to the states first in your calculations.

5. What funds the external reserves or all revenues must be spent on recurrent expenditure?

Our revenue economics is not as simple as you lot think. Now that political campaigns are over, its time to educate Nigerians that our revenues are not limitless and some campaign points are not achievable albeit sustainable.

Assuming, Buhari miracously finds some fraction of the funds required for the welfare programs, how do you identify the poorest of the poor Nigerians deserving of the 5K?, What database is available to identify the welfare recipients? We even struggle to identify bonafide Nigerians much more low income earners.

Every effort to defend economic impossibilties reveals the shallowness of the incoming government.

I agree with most of the things you wrote but number 2, is pre 2004, the ingenuity of the Obasanjo's administration.
Post 2004 operate a PSC, you can read it up.
Nigeria doesn't need to pay up front for oil and gas exploration.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 5:51am On Apr 20, 2015
Truckpusher:
Very funny thread and yet people are commenting and churning out values from their asss.

I hope that they are aware that Nigeria has not been able to pay their own share of the operational cost to these companies which has forced companies like Shell to abandon some of their fields onshore though oil theft and insecurity played a role too.

Make una dey argue I dey come. grin

Doesn't happen anymore
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 5:53am On Apr 20, 2015
Obiagelli:

Since when did FIRS start collecting crude oil revenue?

Btw using words like breaking it down to my level does not make you any smart. Go and read the FIRS link.

A part of crude oil receipt goes to the FIRS.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by ideykwum: 5:55am On Apr 20, 2015
See, my dear, I actually admire your bravery! Any right thinking Nairalander ought to llaud you for this thread, but...

You obviously do not understand finance or economics! Debt and equity mixes are part of the intricacies of managing any financial portfolio, and their ratio mixes are used to stimulate growth! Only a stupid economic manager would advocate for an eradication of borrowing (debt), because it helps manage growth and capital projections!

Please let's not give the impression that debt is bad for the economy! It's poor management of debt that is the challenge, and this management starts from the acquisition of the debt to closing out!

Nne, you try...but try harder!

Obiagelli:

If politicians still less, we have no business borrowing. Are you saying oil companies gets more than 40%? I have reliable information but i can't find a link for it due to secrecy.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by omokab: 5:57am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

oga hope you see FIRS revenue there?And don't forget that Ondo is also part of oil revenue state.Meanwhile,Lagos will join oil producing state this year that will also increase our revenue.If oil bunkery and theft is also curb Nigeria revenue will also increase.Another angle you can still look at to generate revenue which op silent on it were many such as Nigeria port authority,Nigeria airways,Mining industries as well as agric sector.Revenue generated by Nigeria custom have not been added.Our government only concentrated on oil money and tax forget other sources of revenue to the country.If you know what many ministries departmets and agencies generate you fear,Such as Nafdac,ministry of mines,Nesrea,SON,revenue generated from electricity and many more.If attention is shifted to all this places Nigeria go better.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Flets: 5:57am On Apr 20, 2015
jpphilips:

I agree with most of the things you wrote but number 2, is pre 2004, the ingenuity of the Obasanjo's administration.
Post 2004 operate a PSC, you can read it up.
Nigeria doesn't need to pay up front for oil and gas exploration.

Your comment in its generic form does not stand true.
Post 2004 after FG failed to meet up with their own side of the JV bargain, they got into all forms of funding. Including but not limited production sharing contracts, modified carry agreements (where the IOCS bear 100% cost and recover FG share through volume recovery) and many forms of external funding.

However this form of funding is limited to capital intensive project. JV funding is still used for funding general operations, brownfield projects and small/ medium scale projects.

Besides, in all these forms of funding the IOCs and lenders recover through crude volumes whoch is not directly into FG pocket. Further shows the quack calculation by the OP.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 6:02am On Apr 20, 2015
doctokwus:
You failed to add 2 other potential sources of revenue:
(1) A more rigorous tax policy.D new govt may borrow a leaf from d way Lagos state government tanked its revenue from tax alone. Conservatively when more income generating streams come on line and many tax dodging individuals and companies are brought on stream nationwide,that could add another N500b- N1t.
(2) When loopholes from customs at d ports, and land borders are plugged another conservative N500-N1t cud be brought on line annually.
There is also d proposal to increase VAT. Even if its increased from 5% presently to 7.5%,annual revenue could see another N1t jump.
So conservatively you are looking at N2trillion additional income from untapped sources.
The social programs are doable.We should not also forgot that the 'a meal a day' school feeding policy would also create secondary employment opportunities:the food vendor contracted for each school or group of schools has to employ at least an assistant if not 2;he/she has to regularly go to the market to buy food ingredients,this increases d revenue of that seller,she has to transport her items to the school etc.These may look simplistic and menial in outlook but its these little streams of steady employment and income that gets economies moving because they create a chain.All these people also have to pay tax in one way or the other, no matter how little.
At the end of d day,d government may not even be spending as much as budgeted for d feeding policy and other social needs.
Its only those who don't know GMB that can doubt d workability of his policies or his sincerity of purpose.Even if at d end of d day,some of these social programs are not fully implemented, GMB himself would come out to say why and believe me,his forthrightness on whatever issue,would douse any doubters, except those so used to being mischievous and still bearing a deep seated hate for having lost out in stealing and corrupting this nation under previous governments, particularly that of d monster that will handover May 28 or 29.
GMB needs prayers, support and belief in d Nigerian project he is about to undertake, not hateful,spiteful,mischievous writeups from those whose hearts and souls are as bile filled as that of d devil himself.

please if you are close to GMB, pull his ear and ask him not to touch that VAT, Fuel subsidy removal will be child's play.

Secondly, I didn't vote Buhari for 5k social programme but if I were him, I will pay that to only post NYSC guys using the NYSC template.
It will encourage more Nigerians to be educated.
Social programmes encourage Laziness especially if done on the streets.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by ojochidem(m): 6:04am On Apr 20, 2015
Was the 4.69 trillion naira generated by FIRS only from CRUDE OIL toooo

anonimi:

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 6:06am On Apr 20, 2015
barcanista:

Na wa 4 you o

It is the same as Royalty, she used a tentative 60% to make room for royalties.

I didn't see her 13% either, overall she is definitely not a Nigerian.
Ridiculous analysis.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 6:07am On Apr 20, 2015
barcanista:

Nigeria earning in 2014 from oil is $77b. ALl these money does not go to the government. Don't forget "Operational Cost". If Nigeria makes as much as $77b as its own share, we won't be crying for loan. Pls do your research and stop misleading people.

Na wa 4 you o
www.punchng.com/business/energy/nigeria-earned-77bn-from-oil-export-in-2014/

You have serious comprehension problems
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by jpphilips(m): 6:13am On Apr 20, 2015
trillville:

Offshore comprises of continental shelves and deep sea oil fields. The ND cannot claim water bodies as part of ND land.

With onshore-offshore dichotomy it is difficult to draw the lines.
Now that we have a northern president, it is time to review that policy.
Offshore oil doesn't belong to the Niger delta, to believe we pay them 13% for oil as far as the gulf of guinea is superfulous.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Man Trekking To Otuoke For GEJ Gets Female Partner [photo] / Osinbajo Gets New Chopper From Caverton Helicopters / Photo Of Kwankwaso And Peter Obi Having A Good Laugh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.