Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. (51974 Views)

Buhari Social Program PART II: Feasible or Laughable? / Barcanista, Buhari's Social Program; More Of A Possibility / Buhari Social Program: Laudable, Laughable Or Dead On Arrival? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by aresa: 11:53pm On Apr 19, 2015
barcanista:
@Obiagelli: I have tried to break it to your level pls re-read my comment. The money declared by FIRS is inclusive of ALL earnings accrued to the FG. Where do you think the 4.67trn came from? Lol.. Or you expect the FG to take all 5trn? Do you you think the Oil Companies and other players are Charity organisation? Do you have an idea how much in percentage is for the government? Abeg no fall your hand jare... de

The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) said on Thursday that it generated N4.69 trillion from taxes for the federal government in 2014.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/firs-generates-n4-69tn-revenue-in-2014/200484/

Generated from taxes/IGR and not oil?

Why do you people argue blindly, ignorantly and deceptively?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by kaboninc(m): 11:54pm On Apr 19, 2015
Obiagelli:

Are you saying mining can't double our income? Of course we need to work on taxes too.

Your keyword here is double.

I hope by now you've come to realise that even what is budgeted (as expected expenditure) may or may not tally with what is received (as expected income)? I hope you do.

Let's say that our income is around 4.6trn. What mining activity can generate 4.6trn at the moment? Before you respond, please consider mining in large commercial quantities.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2015
slimmy05:
you are a dunderhead. Stop forcing your ignorance on people.
see me see wahala O, u should be the one not to force your useless and ignorance here. Mr do your analysis with facts and let's see or u keep your dirty mouth shoot.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by kaboninc(m): 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2015
aresa:

Why do [I] argue blindly, ignorantly and deceptively?

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by garrix8: 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2015
Obiagelli:

God bless you and i believe royalties goes to the FIRS?

I think so, according to the CBN website, Petroleum Profit Tax goes to FIRS.

Sources of External Reserves in Nigeria
Nigeria’s external reserves derive mainly from
the proceeds of crude oil production and
sales. Nigeria produces approximately
2,000,000 barrels per day of crude oil in
joint venture with some international oil
companies, notably Shell, Mobil and Chevron.
Out of this, Nigeria sells a predetermined
proportion directly, while the joint venture
partners sell the rest. The joint venture
partners pay Petroleum Profit Tax to the
Federal Government through the Federal
Board of Inland Revenue.

The five categories of revenue from crude oil
production and sales are:

Direct Sales (NNPC)

Petroleum Profit Tax (Oil Companies)

Royalties

Penalty for Gas Flaring

Rentals Other sources of external reserves in
Nigeria

http://www.cenbank.org/Intops/ReserveMgmt.asp
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by OAM4J: 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2015
I ordinarily didnt want to join this debate but since Obiagelli has opened a counter thread, I feel there is need to strengthen her argument.

Fact is, I believe in this old Bank-PHP statement that 'impossible is nothing' and the common saying 'where there is a will, there is a way'. I believe the likes of Dr. Fayemi and Prof Osinbajo who came up with the manifesto are not dullards and they probably have more access to true figures of things than many of us, and they have strong reasons to believe in the feasibility of these things before making it public.

That said, I know without raising new taxes or even doing anything new (and of course I expect them to bring in a lot of new innovations) I know the money expected for these social welfare program can be gotten from the following:

1. Blocking oil theft of 350,000 to 450,000 barrels per day will give us hundreds of billions

2. hundreds of billions lost to corruption from customs duties. You only need to visit any Nigeria port to know this.

3. Aggressive drive towards collecting all taxes accruable to FG as it is done in Lagos, am sure that will also give us hundreds of billions.

It might take a little while, but if there is a sincerity of purpose and a strong will to implement these social programs, it is very doable.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by kaboninc(m): 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2015
Nazeeboy:
hey man you don't have to be shouting and throwing insults to get attention. Calm down let's talk rationally as human beings.

Discuss rationally with you?

Ok then...

What's your take on the opening post?
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Firefire(m): 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2015
atlwireles:

Cutting the cost of government means sacking thousands of civil servants, there is no two ways about that. Reducing fraudulent business acts, is best imagined in this country. We refuse to restructure, so we are paying the price for inefficiency. Any form of Tax increase MUST AND WILL BE VIGOROUS OPPOSED. You will not tax hard working regions to fund loads of lazy poor people. Increasing any form of tax must be done at the state level.

Let APC take the same revenue as is today and perform their miracle, they promised Nigeria before the election.

My own interpretation of cutting the cost of governance is REDUCING the fraudulent pay to all Legislators both state and federal, they should earn the normal wages a civil servant earn for his duty per month and even less as we don't require them to sit every day.

On Taxes, Buhari cannot even munched the idea of tax increase at the moment until he is done addressing all cases of corruption, recovering enough money to run his deficit budget, sending the corrupted elements to jail and taken back all they have stolen.

We expect the wonder working power of APC with Mr. Buhari to begin immediately after May 29th.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by aresa: 11:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
barcanista:
This is how things work....

Nigeria Generates revenue from Oil export...

Nigeria PAY Oil companies their own share for Operational Cost (mind you Nigeria is even owing these people).

Na wa 4 you o

What's your post about oil got to do with the fact that The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) generated N4.69 trillion from taxes for the federal government in 2014 and not the the oil you keep repeating blindly?
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by dinachi(m): 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2015
Thanx @OP for teaching PDP that Buhari is a promise keeper. Many of the clowns see Buhari through their corrupt eyes. It has not yet dawned on them that equity has come to Nigeria. You are in doubt? Wait until he takes over and we will compare notes! End of discussion.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by taharqa: 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2015
aresa:

Why do you people argue blindly, ignorantly and deceptively?

Yeah!!

The loudmouthed OLODOS have started to arrive.

Welcome, Bros
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by taharqa: 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2015
dinachi:
Thanx @OP for teaching PDP that Buhari is a promise keeper. Many of the clowns see Buhari through their corrupt eyes. It has not yet dawned on them that equity has come to Nigeria. You are in doubt? Wait until he takes over and we will compare notes! End of discussion.

See another one
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by taharqa: 12:00am On Apr 20, 2015
aresa:

What's your post about oil got to do with the fact that The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) generated N4.69 trillion from taxes for the federal government in 2014 and not the the oil you keep repeating blindly?

OLODO ×2

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 20, 2015
Its a pity that even the intelligent Apc guys had to buy into the voodoo economics to help defend their own and attack the PDP. Drop the crab, we don't have to always fight. It's not APC vs PDP. It's useless promises and voodoo accounting. Nobody is perfect and GMB ain't a saint. He was wrong with the promises, accept it and move on

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by porka: 12:01am On Apr 20, 2015
This is how they will put their Imam into real trouble.

Calculating some bogus revenue figures for the Imam who is yet to pass his O'Level Mathematics (his principal only assured us he would pass) and giving him some false hopes will soon be a big trouble for the guy.

This same woman challenged an egg-head to a debate the other day, it turned out that she couldn't differentiate between Excess Crude Account and External Reserve.

And she's one of the 'chartered accountants' being relied on by Imam Buhari for guidance.

Even after posts on posts have tried to correct her on this bogus revenue claims, she's still going shamelessly on and on.

One chance indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by atlwireles: 12:02am On Apr 20, 2015
Firefire:

My own interpretation of cutting the cost of governance is REDUCING the fraudulent pay to all Legislators both state and federal, they should earn the normal wages a civil servant earn for his duty per month and even less as we don't require them to sit every day.

On Taxes, Buhari cannot even munched the idea of tax increase at the moment until he is done addressing all cases of corruption, recovering enough money to run his deficit budget, sending the corrupted elements to jail and taken back all they have stolen.

We expect the wonder working power of APC with Mr. Buhari to begin immediately after May 29th.

Let's see APC lawmakers cut their salaries and allowances grin grin grin grin that's another pipe dream, Nigerians will learn to accommodate, because it's not going to happen.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by kaboninc(m): 12:05am On Apr 20, 2015
OAM4J:
I ordinarily didnt want to join this debate but since the OP has opened a counter thread, I feel there is need to strengthen her argument.

Fact is, I believe in this old Bank-PHP statement that 'impossible is nothing' and the common saying 'where there is a will, there is a way'. I believe the likes of Dr. Fayemi and Prof Osinbajo who came up with the manifesto are not dullards and they probably have more access to true figures of things than many of us, and they have strong reasons to believe in the feasibility of these things before making it public.

That said, I know without raising new taxes or even doing anything new (and of course I expect them to bring in a lot of new innovations) I know the money expected for these social welfare program can be gotten from the following:

1. Blocking oil theft of 350,000 to 450,000 barrels per day will give us hundreds of billions

2. hundreds of billions lost to corruption from customs duties. You only need to visit any Nigeria port to know this.

3. Aggressive drive towards collecting all taxes accruable to FG as it is done in Lagos, am sure that will also give us hundreds of billions.

It might take a little while, but if there is a sincerity of purpose and a strong will to implement these social programs, it is very doable.

Am highlighting the 1st for now. I'll get back to the others later.

We do not actually 'loose 350,000 to 450,000 barrels per day'. See what happens: when there's a leak from a pipeline, the flow station is automatically shut to forestall further theft or environmental degradation.

So the number of barrels that 'should' have been pumped is stopped and so technically you've lost that 'day's shipment'. You've also lost the income that could have accrued to you.

So you see, it's not by 'theft'.

I'll get back to the others tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by taharqa: 12:06am On Apr 20, 2015
OAM4J:
I ordinarily didnt want to join this debate but since Obiagelli has opened a counter thread, I feel there is need to strengthen her argument.

Reali??

So 450000bpd crude sales, notwithstanding the Cost of production and profit sharing bw Nigeria and the Oil Companies and bw the tiers of Govt, can generate hundreds of billions of dollars?? How deep in your Azzzzes do you guys have to go to generate this amazing figures sef??

And you too na MOD undecided

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by OAM4J: 12:08am On Apr 20, 2015
taharqa:

Reali??
So 450000bpd crude sales, notwithstanding the Cost of production and profit sharing be Nigeria and the Oil Companies and be the tiers of Govt, can generate hundreds of billions of dollars?? How deep in your Azzzzes do you guys have to go to generate this amazing figures sef??

kaboninc:

Am highlighting the 1st for now. I'll get back to the others later.

We do not actually 'loose 350,000 to 450,000 barrels per day'. See what happens: when there's a leak from a pipeline, the flow station is automatically shut to forestall further theft or environmental degradation.

So the number of barrels that 'should' have been pumped is stopped and so technically you've lost that 'day's shipment'. You've also lost the income that could have accrued to you.

So you see, it's not by 'theft'.

I'll get back to the others tomorrow.

Bro am not talking of loss due to pipeline vandalisation but loss due to oil theft. The figure I gave is the estimate Madam Iweala gave.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by nduchucks: 12:09am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

I notice that ALL your revenue projection is based on Niger Delta crude oil. Nothing from groundnut oil, palm oil, coconut oil or other agricultural and industrial revenue.

Why are we only about SHARING the wealth derived from only one part of the country

Are you a learner?

Adding other revenues from other sources will make Obiagelli's postulations more credible.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by atlwireles: 12:09am On Apr 20, 2015
taharqa:

Reali??

So 450000bpd crude sales, notwithstanding the Cost of production and profit sharing be Nigeria and the Oil Companies and be the tiers of Govt, can generate hundreds of billions of dollars?? How deep in your Azzzzes do you guys have to go to generate this amazing figures sef??

They believed their own propaganda, May 29 is knocking, we shall see them create new explanations daily. Is going to be FUN.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by kaboninc(m): 12:10am On Apr 20, 2015
OAM4J:

Bro am not talking of loss due to pipeline vandalisation but loss due to oil theft. The figure I gave is the estimate, Madam Iweala gave.

And am also telling you that it is not THEFT. But actions due to theft! Besides, if not by vandalising pipelines, how then do they steal the crude?

Then again, we produce about 2 million barrels, how then we loose a whooping 20 percent to theft?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by tola9ja: 12:13am On Apr 20, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
Nonsense

go school, you won't go... You can see how buhari certificateless brain is affecting yours.

Just as they say, show me your friend and i will tell you who you are.

I rest my case.

We are watching the miracles...

[size=18pt]MuguliciousMUGU INDEED[/size]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by blackandro: 12:13am On Apr 20, 2015
Firstly, to achieve this feat, we must as a nation begin to practice "TRUE FEDERALISM".

Every state must be able to generate what they consume and not wait till month end and run to Abuja to collect their federal allocation-FAAC!!!

It has made governors lazy and not thinking out other avenues of generating revenue and looking inwards to identify potential reasources in the state.

That is the bane of our problem and the over reliance on oil!!!

This will encourage states to map out ways they can drive their IGR!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Olaone1: 12:13am On Apr 20, 2015
Asking for a welfare state in a country without basic infrastructure is tantamount to pressing self-destruct button. Even if doable, it is not a pressing issue right now

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by tola9ja: 12:16am On Apr 20, 2015
anonimi:

I notice that ALL your revenue projection is based on Niger Delta crude oil. Nothing from groundnut oil, palm oil, coconut oil or other agricultural and industrial revenue.

Why are we only about SHARING the wealth derived from only one part of the country

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Nazeeboy(m): 12:17am On Apr 20, 2015
kaboninc:

Discuss rationally with you?

Ok then...

What's your take on the opening post?
all I have to say on that post is that the Op really tried in trying to point out the kind of money nigeria generate from our 2 major sources of income. The money generated from other sources when add altogether can't measure up to those two sources. But if you comapare the figures there put down by the OP with other money that is being looted in this administration that we received news of everyday, you will be wondering where the hell those kind of money is coming from? So what I believe is that there is more to Nigerian treasury that we seems to know about and only God knows. So instead of wishing failure for the incoming government based on our mere analyses here, we should put our differences aside for the interst of the nation and be hoping for the best from them and those to come after them.
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by mashnino(m): 12:17am On Apr 20, 2015
Some people are not yet to argue ooo

they are just here to discredit buhari b4 he even enters office..

GOD pass una.. forget abt d 5K for youths talk

wetin jonathan no talk for 2011.. how many him do? nufing

All we want na electricity and balanced economy...

den just sit down watch how everything go fall in place

all dese trillions wey una dey call..like say na d real figures...

if them show una d real figures..una go kidnap ngozi,alison and jonathan..

nonsense...

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by naso2(m): 12:19am On Apr 20, 2015
Obiagelli:
Officially, Nigeria exports 2 million barrels of crude oil
daily. At the current price of 60 US dollars per barrel, that
translates into 120 million US dollars.

120 million x 365day = 43,800,000,000

43 billion dollars @ 60% ( rumoured sharing formula between Nigeria and oil companies)

That means Nigeria makes 25.8 billion dollars annually.

$25.8 billion x 200 naira = 5.1 trillion naira.

Nigeria's 2014 budget was N4.6 trillion meaning we still have about 0.5 trillion naira change.
www.channelstv.com/2014/04/09/nigerian-senate-passes-4-6-trillion-naira-2014-budget/

FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE

Nigeria generated N4.69tn Revenue in 2014

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/firs-generates-n4-69tn-revenue-in-2014/200484/

Adding N4.69 trillion (firs) + 5.1 trillion (crude oil) = 9.79 trillion.

If our budget was N4.6 trillion then we have a balance of 5.1 trillion naira that nobody accounts for.

Barcanista asked where we will find 1.8 trillion to take care of our most vulnerable citizens, this balance of 5.1 trillion will be taken away from the pockets of criminals and militants.

EDIT.

I forgot the FG gets 52% of total income, even at that we have a balance of 0.6 trillion naira which is sufficient for the first stage of the social programs.
The APC government has said one of its major income earners is the mining industry.

This plans with financial discipline is very much achievable.

Please note that my analysis is based our major source of income ( oil and taxes), i have not touched other income earnings.

see how these cut-and-sew "economist" have started misleading GMB. I now see why they feared the debates more than the certificate calll
Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by taharqa: 12:20am On Apr 20, 2015
OAM4J:

Bro am not talking of loss due to pipeline vandalisation but loss due to oil theft. The figure I gave is the estimate, Madam Iweala gave.

1st, that figure you gave is mostly crude lost due to productions shutdown, not actual theft (only around 60,000bpd is actually stolen). But even if we were able to bring all these 450,000bpd to full production, there is NO WAY in helll we would be able to get 'hundreds of billions of dollars' like you claimed, talk less of the FG making that kind of money. The whole of Nigeria( And I mean d FG, states, LGA, 13% derivation, Excess crude, etc) does not even get more than bw $60-$80billion per annum from sales of the over 2million bpd crude that we currently make even at over $100pb talk less of these days when crude sell at less than $60 in the international market.

You were wrong, guy

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by Olaone1: 12:20am On Apr 20, 2015
The problem of the country is hydra-headed. The whole structure is weak. Maybe I should say there is no structure at all. From the bogus civil service to the juggernaut called corruption. To be honest, it appears insurmountable.
The workforce as it is right now should be halved. And not just at the Federal level. Imagine my state - Oyo state, having a workforce of over 38,000. Doing what, exactly? It is really sad how we got to this level as a people.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Social Program: Very Possible. by trillville(m): 12:21am On Apr 20, 2015
kaboninc:

Only if you know that there's no free meal even in Freetown!

U just supported my point. The cost of not feeding the children today is the children becoming terrorist tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

See The Seized Helicopters Handed By Customs To The Nigerian Air Force. Photos / Obasanjo Receives Sule Lamido & Kwankwaso In Abeokuta (Photos) / FG Receives Stolen Ile-ife Artifact From Mexico

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.