Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,230 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs (16158 Views)

How Do I Advertise On Nairaland Literature Section...? / Nairaland Literature Nomination Thread / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 10:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
stuff46:
This is exactly what happened the last time i tried correcting a writer.

Like D9ty7 said and i believe, the only problem with this section is the moderators.
That's interesting. What areas do you feel the mods are defaulting?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 10:52pm On Apr 22, 2015
Ishilove:

*facepalm*

Pray tell, young sir, what magic would you like the mods to perform?
Maybe he wants the mods to comment on every thread, or the mods should start stories themselves. Lol
But seriously, I think you guys are not active on the board you moderate. If we check your last 36posts, before the creation of this thread, we'll get the exact thing he is saying.
If there is a way you can improve your participation on this board, please do. Of the three moderators on this thread, you are the only one I see everyday(other sections most times) the other two are just there.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
Here's what I feel: we can't continue to let mediocrity reign in this section just because someone created a thread (because, let's face it, not everybody that posts on this board deserves to be called a writer) and feels butt-hurt at other board members' criticism and analyses of his/her work. We define the community, instead of letting the community define us. If you're not ready to listen to or accept criticism, then go to another board and post freely there. By posting a story on this board, you have opened yourself and your work up to other members who serve as critics, the purpose of which is to correct your mistakes and make you a better writer. If you feel the critiquing or analysis is unfair or wrong or that the critic doesn't get the point of your work, then you explain what you're trying to put across and move on.

It's like homeless people are occupying your house and you're telling them to leave. You won't leave them because they say no. If they don't want to move, you throw them out. It's that simple.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 10:57pm On Apr 22, 2015
D9ty7:

Maybe he wants the mods to comment on every thread, or the mods should start stories themselves. Lol
But seriously, I think you guys are not active on the board you moderate. If we check your last 36posts, before the creation of this thread, we'll get the exact thing he is saying.
If there is a way you can improve your participation on this board, please do. Of the three moderators on this thread, you are the only one I see everyday(other sections most times) the other two are just there.
That's why every hand should be on deck to move this board forward
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 10:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
Here's what I feel: we can't continue to let mediocrity reign in this section just because someone created a thread (because, let's face it, not everybody that posts on this board deserves to be called a writer) and feels butt-hurt at other board members' criticism and analyses of his/her work. We define the community, instead of letting the community define us. If you're not ready to listen to or accept criticism, then go to another board and post freely there. By posting a story on this board, you have opened yourself and your work up to other members who serve as critics, the purpose of which is to correct your mistakes and make you a better writer. If you feel the critiquing or analysis is unfair or wrong or that the critic doesn't get the point of your work, then you explain what you're trying to put across and move on.

It's like homeless people are occupying your house and you're telling them to leave. You won't leave them because they say no. If they don't want to move, you throw them out. It's that simple.
This has always been my believe about posting stories and literary works online.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
For those blaming the moderators alone; they may have some blame - but not all of it. everybody on the board shares some of the blame for what the board has become. Those of us that knew the quality this board used to boast of and allowed it to degenerate to this level take some of the blame. Readers and writers who are only here to crank out and consume have to shoulder some of the blame. Other literary/literature enthusiasts on the board who are not interested in reading or writing can come up with related threads or board games that would make the board fun and, having not done that, must accept some blame too. Everybody has to take some blame.

And because we are all to blame, we are also all to work together to correct the faults we have outlined here.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 11:03pm On Apr 22, 2015
stuff46:
like Op said, we need to hear from the site owner if he would accept his suggestions or watch it die off.

I would have liked to his reply (s) before i would make any susgestion.
Is the site owner a mod if this section? What does he have to do with this? The onus is on the writers to improve their skills. If they don't improve, there is very little the mods can do.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 11:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
And now that the problems have been identified, shall we come up with the ways of solving them?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
Ishilove:

Is the site owner a mod if this section? What does he have to do with this? The onus is on the writers to improve their skills. If they don't improve, there is very little the mods can do.

Ishi, the reason I wanted to call Seun's attention to our concerns on this thread is to find out if he is comfortable with the current state of things. I mean, who knows, the board may be attracting more hits with it's current setup than it did before and that might suit his intents and purposes so trying to change things might appear to be working against the administrator's plan for the board. I think I would like to know if Seun is also concerned with the current state of things on this board or if he is comfortable with it.

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
D9ty7, your methods?

Per the critque thingy, I've never taken it, harshly. But I get few of it sha. You're to blame, too. Since 'The 1st taste of Deliquency', you were no where to be found, anymore, regardless of the mentions I gave you. You adjudged I had become automatically good.

All thanks to Sir Larrysun, striving to make a handful of the upcoming, better.

You should start with that.

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Here's a suggestion that everyone of us can effect, moderator or not; we cannot allow poor quality to continue to thrive on thius board. As a result, we need to renew the culture of reading through and passing our honest opinions about what we read on this board, REGARDLESS of what the poster or/and other board members feel about it. This is a public forum, and as far as you critique in a civilized manner using courteous language, there shouldn't be a problem. Only a child runs crying when cautioned about mistakes made. A student that doesn't want to fail again has two choices; improve or drop out. If a writer on this board is not willing to take correction and improve, then the person should leave, instead of trying to impose mediocrity on us all.

Also, we need to stop the whole "take a bow" attitude we take towards written works on this board, saying well done when the writer hasn't exactly done well. We are as much a part of ensuring the quality of written work on this thread stays high as the writers and moderators and if a writer's work is below par or ridden with errors, it is our job to point it out.

It is important too, that when one of us critiques someone else's work and the person is swinging back at the critic, the rest of us should back the critic up - especially when the critique is apt and the criticism is well deserved. The reason some on this board have stopped expressing their opinions about people's works is because when we critique, and the poster and other members lash out, there's nobody to back us up. So we feel it's better to just shut up and let things slide as against speaking the truth - which shouldn't be the case.

The fact is that nobody here is perfect - so nobody here is above correction.

5 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nuges11(m): 1:10am On Apr 23, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
Here's a suggestion that everyone of us can effect, moderator or not; we cannot allow poor quality to continue to thrive on thius board. As a result, we need to renew the culture of reading through and passing our honest opinions about what we read on this board, REGARDLESS of what the poster or/and other board members feel about it. This is a public forum, and as far as you critique in a civilized manner using courteous language, there shouldn't be a problem. Only a child runs crying when cautioned about mistakes made. A student that doesn't want to fail again has two choices; improve or drop out. If a writer on this board is not willing to take correction and improve, then the person should leave, instead of trying to impose mediocrity on us all.
Also, we need to stop the whole "take a bow" attitude we take towards written works on this board, saying well done when the writer hasn't exactly done well. We are as much a part of ensuring the quality of written work on this thread stays high as the writers and moderators and if a writer's work is below par or ridden with errors, it is our job to point it out.
It is important too, that when one of us critiques someone else's work and the person is swinging back at the critic, the rest of us should back the critic up - especially when the critique is apt and the criticism is well deserved. The reason some on this board have stopped expressing their opinions about people's works is because when we critique, and the poster and other members lash out, there's nobody to back us up. So we feel it's better to just shut up and let things slide as against speaking the truth - which shouldn't be the case.

I am in total support of this. Firm as it may sound, it will actually go a long way in making sure our writers here sit up to the task of fine-tuning their works before uploading. So I won't just rush to drop my half-baked stories (and in some cases stories that have not even seen the insides of an oven) here just because I know the first person to comment would generously wriggle a thumbs-up in my face amidst mouthfuls of grammatical blunders and ask to be fed more, and subsequent comments would most likely thread that path. If I know my work will be tested with fire when it gets here, i'll definitely take my time to remove all traces of oil.

Besides, the beauty of criticisms is you're not only teaching and correcting the culprit (permit me to use that word), you're also preventing other intending 'culprits' from ignorantly following suit. And I still find it hard to wrap my fingers around why anyone would resent someone pointing out things in their works when the purpose of that is to make them better, coz to me it's like wanting a fine tattoo without the not-so-fine incisions.

All in all, a lot has been said about the raised issue so I wouldn't want to flog it beyond what is necessary, but the bottom line remains that this board isn't what it used to be and to revivify it requires work from not just the moderators alone but writers and readers alike. We need to bring back that thing that attracted most of us to this board in the first place; that beauty, that flair. I for one wrote for the first time after reading Mazi Omenuko's National Year of S.ex and Comfort (ok now don't give me that look grin) and I'm sure a few writers also share that testimony with other writers.

Blames have been dished out, I've accepted mine, and I have resolved to play a part in beautifying this place once more.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Infomizer(m): 5:49am On Apr 23, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

Makes sense. At this rate, sanity will definitely return and I trust that such sanity in the section is good for Seun's business. The key to 'change' (we've seen that word around a lot) here lies with the audience...Eventually.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Dygeasy(m): 7:21am On Apr 23, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

Ishi, the reason I wanted to call Seun's attention to our concerns on this thread is to find out if he is comfortable with the current state of things. I mean, who knows, the board may be attracting more hits with it's current setup than it did before and that might suit his intents and purposes so trying to change things might appear to be working against the administrator's plan for the board. I think I would like to know if Seun is also concerned with the current state of things on this board or if he is comfortable with it.
It's not up to Seun to do or say anything about the decline. He has installed capable hands to do that which you're calling him for and these hands are responsible for running, overseeing and maintaining of this part of Seun's business. Seun isn't supposed to interfere and besides, is Seun a regular visitor in this section? Talkmore of actually taking note of everything happening here. We can only help ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 7:46am On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Writers needs to improve, thats the truth. On the other hand, the mods need to improve more in their participation in the section. I know the mods try (sha, only you in particular) but the rest were can you find them now.

In as much as the admin does not participate here, he should make known his opinion about this issue.

As a matter of fact, things are changing. Yes, changing in this present generation but it should'nt be from a bad to worse, rather it should be from bad to better.

Moderators are not active and thats the truth. When was the last time you saw any of the other mods comment on a particular story?

**Good morning sha
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 8:31am On Apr 23, 2015
I think we should have a system of positive reinforcement on this board. In this context, it would be a way of rewarding those who continue to show marked improvement, whose works are up to scratch, who have not shown an aversion to criticism but have allowed it help them grow. Also to reward board members who keep the board interesting and varied with board games, literature and literary arts related topics and things like that.

For me, when I first started writing on this board, my story making the frontpage was the ultimate mark of approval. So each time I wanted to post a story here, I would be forced to look it over and ask myself if it was front page material. While the front page still remains so, we need to create our own in-house means of rewarding readers, writers and other contributing board members who have played their part in making this board the home of quality literary arts.

One way I could come up with was to have a "story of the week" thread. Or sticky the story at the top of the board. Maybe we can have a readers' choice story of the week and a moderators' picks story of the week. The readers' choice, of course, would be nominated and voted on by the general literature board public. The moderators' picks should be chosen by the moderators in conjunction with a few literature board members who have distinguished themselves on the board. The winning stories can by stickied at the top of the board for a few days - maybe over the weekend or something. that way, even stories or threads that haven't had much by way of comments but are quality can get get the exposure they deserve.

This is just a rough suggestion, and i'm sure we can modify this idea or come up with other ideas that could work equally well if not better than what i've been able to come with. But I feel we need to have a means of giving our own thumbs up to those who are making this board proud within the board.

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

That's interesting. What areas do you feel the mods are defaulting?
Well in my own cognition, I think the mods in here don't read stories. I don't expect your own personality to do that cos you already have a work of computer and I must commend your effort for that. Sometimes I even see you reading some poems in the review section, but what about the other mods, they haven't show faced on this thread talkless of commenting. I believe a literature section moderator will be vast in knowledge of art even if he/she isn't a writer.

If the readers don't have what it takes to criticize and correct grammatical blunders then a mod could help out, a mods duty shouldn't only be about banning, he could also help a writer develop. That's my 2cent ma'am.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by esere826: 1:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:
Welcome back senb.

Yeah, most of the more experienced writers don't post again because of a number of reasons which I'd rather not mention for now because of the sensitivity of my position.

On the area of constructive criticism, I have noticed that many writers here don't take it well. Few writers like Larrysun and Royver take it in good faith, but a lot of others like flow1759 react negatively. I remember the time I, Ihedinobi and EfemenaXY (damn, I miss that lady's stories!) critiqued one of your earliest works, sebonzakurakageyoshi, you laughed and took correction, and since then you have gotten better. Not many writers now will take it because as you well know, I don't mince words when I critique.

I am not perfect, neither do I know all, but with the little one I know, I am very confident.

I on my own part have stopped critiquing because I am tired of being called 'oversabi'.

Critiquing literal pieces is nice. It helps the writer improve and helps readers see gaps
criticizing literal pieces is bad. It seeks to put down the writer and can smoulder him/her if not strong willed.

-now, I'm not saying that you usually do the second. I am only concentrating on the part of your post which I have bolded -

critiquing and criticizing sometimes look similar, but are quite different
It's like how water can give life to a plant when applied properly, but can kill same plant if used inappropriately.

Critiquing is a science as well as an art. it's nurturing, In fact it's a gift.
One should give it properly, and the other should receive it properly

4 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 1:31pm On Apr 23, 2015
esere826:

Critiquing literal pieces is nice. It helps the writer improve and helps readers see gaps
criticizing literal pieces is bad. It seeks to put down the writer and can smoulder him/her if not strong willed.

-now, I'm not saying that you usually do the second. I am only concentrating on the part of your post which I have bolded -

critiquing and criticizing sometimes look similar, but are quite different
It's like how water can give life to a plant when applied properly, but can kill same plant if used inappropriately.

Critiquing is a science as well as an art. it's nurturing, In fact it's a gift.
One should give it properly, and the other should receive it properly

Thanks uncle smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by An0nimus: 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
Not trying to make excuses for the mods but it's not easy keeping up with Nairaland. Even as a member you know how it is when you follow some good threads/boards and log off to check back after like twelve hours. These guys have real life engagements too. I do hope they'll up their game though because the standard previously set here is pretty high.

That aside, I can relate with what has been said about stories here. There was a time I followed this section and some wonderful stories but couldn't keep up when new stories kept popping every other day with a greater number just below par (there was a time most of these stories were overladen with totally irrelevant sex scenes cry ). I thought to myself "why bother when I can read off 10,000 ebooks app or download". Also, some of the stories I followed then the writers stopped updating which I can't fault them much as they have their everyday lives to live beyond NL.

The suggestions given so far are commendable and it'll be a good thing if they can implemented. I'll love this section to be great again and will try the little I can to visit often (maybe by skipping the amebo threads on FP grin)

psst Senb how far that Nightlies story? You finished it? If you did kindly help me with zee links bruv. tenks cool
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by esere826: 4:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Thanks uncle smiley

u are welcome my daughter
oya come and sit on my laps so I can pat ur back
and sing lullaby for u
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 4:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
I kind of agree with this but it would surely be your problem (project) because the people you are trying to help seem to desert the thread.
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
I think we should have a system of positive reinforcement on this board. In this context, it would be a way of rewarding those who continue to show marked improvement, whose works are up to scratch, who have not shown an aversion to criticism but have allowed it help them grow. Also to reward board members who keep the board interesting and varied with board games, literature and literary arts related topics and things like that.

For me, when I first started writing on this board, my story making the frontpage was the ultimate mark of approval. So each time I wanted to post a story here, I would be forced to look it over and ask myself if it was front page material. While the front page still remains so, we need to create our own in-house means of rewarding readers, writers and other contributing board members who have played their part in making this board the home of quality literary arts.

One way I could come up with was to have a "story of the week" thread. Or sticky the story at the top of the board. Maybe we can have a readers' choice story of the week and a moderators' picks story of the week. The readers' choice, of course, would be nominated and voted on by the general literature board public. The moderators' picks should be chosen by the moderators in conjunction with a few literature board members who have distinguished themselves on the board. The winning stories can by stickied at the top of the board for a few days - maybe over the weekend or something. that way, even stories or threads that haven't had much by way of comments but are quality can get get the exposure they deserve.

This is just a rough suggestion, and i'm sure we can modify this idea or come up with other ideas that could work equally well if not better than what i've been able to come with. But I feel we need to have a means of giving our own thumbs up to those who are making this board proud within the board.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Dygeasy(m): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2015
It's even more appaling that these self-acclaimed literary giants writers have avoided this thread like a plague.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 7:01pm On Apr 23, 2015
That's just the main thing bro.
Dygeasy:
It's even more appaling that these self-acclaimed literary giants writers have avoided this thread like a plague.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 7:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Dygeasy:

Well, I think the fact that at least I've seen some of the familiar faces I met on this board and others who joined later and have kept the standard or even raised the bar weigh in on this discussion. They are the ones who know what this board was like and the standards it held. Forget all those paper tigers that post thirty topics in one week and call themselves established writers. They can avoid this thread all they want but if those of us here are determined to effect necessary changes here, they'll have no choice but to shape up or ship out.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

Well, I think the fact that at least I've seen some of the familiar faces I met on this board and others who joined later and have kept the standard or even raised the bar weigh in on this discussion. They are the ones who know what this board was like and the standards it held. Forget all those paper tigers that post thirty topics in one week and call themselves established writers. They can avoid this thread all they want but if those of us here are determined to effect necessary changes here, they'll have no choice but to shape up or ship out.
Now that we know where the deck is, let's endeavour to place our hands on it. How do we wipe the board clean of the numerous jejune updates and set its standard up against the walls?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove, I'm here to report you to yourself anyway undecided
Every point raised on this thread rings true.
Are you even the only mod in this section? You moderate other sections plus supermoding and all but why haven't you assigned duties to the other mods?. I remember the first time I dabbled into story-writing... I would just pick up my pen to write whatever comes to my head and when I call on people to come critique, no one shows up.
All I get is ' Kudos', 'You are good' and others... I needed constructive criticism (not someone telling me I'm gooder undecided or even someone telling me I'm not as good as chimamanda, haba!) I needed help with grammar, syntax, plot, characterization and all that but help was not forthcoming, so I just continued to pen down whatever, without calling on anyone (eg Ishilove)

Now the thing is, what's the way forward? Thousands of extremely d*mb threads get moved to the FP per second but literature section topics rarely smell FP. Why? They say our gbagaun can kill undecided
Ishilove, if your hands are full, call on the other mods, we need CHANGE!
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
LarrySun:
Now that we know where the deck is, let's endeavour to place our hands on it. How do we wipe the board clean of the numerous jejune updates and set its standard up against the walls?

Hi smiley @bolded, are you saying you want to stop people from posting on a public forum?
How do you plan on achieving this cos I'm sure the owner of the site won't even stop people from posting, he can only hide topics that break the rules of the site.
Or you want to find ways to help them improve?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 9:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
esere826:

u are welcome my daughter
oya come and sit on my laps so I can pat ur back
and sing lullaby for u

grin
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 9:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
standd:

Hi smiley @bolded, are you saying you want to stop people from posting on a public forum?
How do you plan on achieving this cos I'm sure the owner of the site won't even stop people from posting, he can only hide topics that break the rules of the site.
Or you want to find ways to help them improve?
My questions ask your questions. And the right answer is - as you last question demands - finding ways to make us improve. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 9:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
standd:
Ishilove, I'm here to report you to yourself anyway undecided
Every point raised on this thread rings true.
Are you even the only mod in this section? You moderate other sections plus supermoding and all but why haven't you assigned duties to the other mods?. I remember the first time I dabbled into story-writing... I would just pick up my pen to write whatever comes to my head and when I call on people to come critique, no one shows up.
All I get is ' Kudos', 'You are good' and others... I needed constructive criticism (not someone telling me I'm gooder undecided or even someone telling me I'm not as good as chimamanda, haba!) I needed help with grammar, syntax, plot, characterization and all that but help was not forthcoming, so I just continued to pen down whatever, without calling on anyone (eg Ishilove)

Now the thing is, what's the way forward? Thousands of extremely d*mb threads get moved to the FP per second but literature section topics rarely smell FP. Why? They say our gbagaun can kill undecided
Ishilove, if your hands are full, call on the other mods, we need CHANGE!
Okay angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

M.A.R.Y. A Supernatural Story By Danny Walker. The best Supernatural story ever / *~Efemena-xy Voted Literature/Writing Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations / Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.