Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,565 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs (16165 Views)

How Do I Advertise On Nairaland Literature Section...? / Nairaland Literature Nomination Thread / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
Obinnau:
Making a critique on a writer's work, on the same thread will ensure the writer tries to avoid making mistakes that will lead to that. In addition, creating another thread for criticism or for comments have been tried before and it didnt go down well. It also makes my job easier.

Now, I agree with you, sir. smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

For one, a critique is not only for the benefit of the writer, but other writers reading his/her work and the readers too as they may do some writing of their own someday. Sending them critiques privately would deny others the opportunity to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Besides, it's a faceless forum. I don't know why anybody would get offended over comments made in good faith and to someone's benefit just because their massive, massive ego feels hurt. I'm sorry but if the critique or criticism as the case may be, is deserved and you feel offended, you might want to reconsider the "writer" tag you attached to yourself.

I concur smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by kenwins(f): 9:06pm On Apr 30, 2015
D9ty7:

Good point bro, but readers on nairaland dnt criticize they only read and tell you how much explosive power you've got cos you are the bomb
I disagree! I aint a writer, but I spot errors and put the writers in the know. Be it typographical or grammatical error.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 9:25pm On Apr 30, 2015
kenwins:

I disagree! I aint a writer, but I spot errors and put the writers in the know. Be it typographical or grammatical error.
You are just one out of how many readers? How many stories are you following?
That's the point I am trying to make. I can't write and say with the exception of Kenwins or Kingphilip. For the sake of what is being discussed, I have to generalize. You know why? You as a critic, you are not doing enough.
You get my drift?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by kenwins(f): 3:56pm On May 01, 2015
D9ty7:

You are just one out of how many readers? How many stories are you following?
That's the point I am trying to make. I can't write and say with the exception of Kenwins or Kingphilip. For the sake of what is being discussed, I have to generalize. You know why? You as a critic, you are not doing enough.
You get my drift?
I dig
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 6:26pm On May 01, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Oh my!! I'm flattered, very flattered, Efe. Thanks for remembering me. smiley

Biko, what am I being nominated for? embarassed

To read and critique stories on here.

Time consuming I know, but darn, you are good at this, Ihe. smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 6:56pm On May 01, 2015
ihedinobi2:

smiley Senby!! How parolz, bro?

me is good o!!!! Just been here trying to get back my writing groove. where in this world have you been?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 9:00pm On May 01, 2015
EfemenaXY:

To read and critique stories on here.

Time consuming I know, but darn, you are good at this, Ihe. smiley

I am humbled to hear that, Efe. I hoped I did a worthy job for you. I'm glad you can say that after the fact. Very humbled.

I don't know if I can handle doing more on Nairaland o. I would like to say that I'll try but I really can't even guarantee that much. But I will do whatever I can at all. Thanks for sharing your confidence in me. kiss
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 9:02pm On May 01, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

me is good o!!!! Just been here trying to get back my writing groove. where in this world have you been?

Senby! Better get it back fast. That sense of humor is not stuff you should lose, you hear? I hope I see more of your work in time. smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:19pm On May 01, 2015
ihedinobi2:

I am humbled to hear that, Efe. I hoped I did a worthy job for you. I'm glad you can say that after the fact. Very humbled.

I don't know if I can handle doing more on Nairaland o. I would like to say that I'll try but I really can't even guarantee that much. But I will do whatever I can at all. Thanks for sharing your confidence in me. kiss

Are you kidding me?

You were brutal with your analysis. angry angry
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 7:24pm On May 02, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Are you kidding me?

You were brutal with your analysis. angry angry

cry I'm so sorry *wailing*

Hehehehe. I have a feeling you wanted no less than I gave. Did you feel bad very long? cheesy
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:00pm On May 02, 2015
ihedinobi2:

cry I'm so sorry *wailing*

Hehehehe. I have a feeling you wanted no less than I gave. Did you feel bad very long? cheesy

angry angry angry

The cheek! shocked shocked angry

It was heavy jor. But...as a writer, tough love can only make you get better. To be honest, it was a very indepth and fair assessment. Critiques are meant to help the writer get better and that's the spirit I took it in. smiley smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 11:06pm On May 02, 2015
EfemenaXY:

angry angry angry

The cheek! shocked shocked angry

It was heavy jor. But...as a writer, tough love can only make you get better. To be honest, it was a very indepth and fair assessment. Critiques are meant to help the writer get better and that's the spirit I took it in. smiley smiley

Lovely. I'm glad joo. I loved that story. It was a promise of true African supernatural fantasy (sup fantasies are probably my favorite favorites, lol). I was so into it. So I wanted to give you the best I thought I had.

You'll write another one, right? Please say yes.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:08pm On May 02, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Lovely. I'm glad joo. I loved that story. It was a promise of true African supernatural fantasy (sup fantasies are probably my favorite favorites, lol). I was so into it. So I wanted to give you the best I thought I had.

You'll write another one, right? Please say yes.

Thanks Ihe. smiley

I really wish I could but I've got so much on my plate these days, my writing's taken a back seat. Hopefully, I'll sort something out in the nearest future...
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 11:12pm On May 02, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Thanks Ihe. smiley

I really wish I could but I've got so much on my plate these days, my writing's taken a back seat. Hopefully, I'll sort something out in the nearest future...

Oh. sad I know that place well. Well, since you women are such experts at multitasking, I'll bet you can manage one chapter every other week.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:21pm On May 02, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Oh. sad I know that place well. Well, since you women are such experts at multitasking, I'll bet you can manage one chapter every other week.

cheesy cheesy

You don't give up, do you? grin grin

It's a bit more complex than that. I have to get my mojo back. Maybe even start by writing short stories again like before and then gradually build up from there. I'm just not "feeling it" right now - if you get me.

Or maybe I'm just procrastinating? Procrastination...every writer's bane... cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by ihedinobi2: 11:49pm On May 02, 2015
EfemenaXY:

cheesy cheesy

It's a bit more complex than that. I have to get my mojo back. Maybe even start by writing short stories again like before and then gradually build up from there. I'm just not "feeling it" right now - if you get me.

Or maybe I'm just procrastinating? Procrastination...every writer's bane... cheesy

Yeah I get you. In my experience, the story tells you when it's time to tell them. Take your time.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 12:37am On May 03, 2015
Sometimes i do visit This board to read stories and also plan to post articles, but i couldn't because most readers here seems not to notice that this literature section is not only meant for stories alone, but many things, i can remember in school, my teacher never did tell me literature sub, was meant for only stories, but to my P.O.V readers here and also writers too thinks so, i can't blame the mod, because she alone can't make this change you all seek.

All my life I've wanted to be a writer, wanted to start from this literature section, but i notice some writers where no where to be found, thanks to d9ty7, you made me register in nairaland.

Just wanted to include myself in this issue, because i know not only you the writers are having this problem, and i also notice, most thread are been derailed, which means people here are above the law, something like, you will see the thronekid saying when someone commented on their post and they start asking for what the person want, like origin, whisky, dogoyaro and unnecessary things, are all this things necessary in a post.

And here stand a new law, literature section is not meant for only stories, and therefore we are all here to learn, no body is perfect, i don't believe in perfection, i believe in trying and succeeding.

So if we still thinks, this board is only meant for stories then count no post to make front page, because when a post makes front page from a board, readers do likes to check that board...

This all i have to say
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 6:57am On May 03, 2015
TheAlpha:
Sometimes i do visit This board to read stories and also plan to post articles, but i couldn't because most readers here seems not to notice that this literature section is not only meant for stories alone, but many things, i can remember in school, my teacher never did tell me literature sub, was meant for only stories, but to my P.O.V readers here and also writers too thinks so, i can't blame the mod, because she alone can't make this change you all seek.

All my life I've wanted to be a writer, wanted to start from this literature section, but i notice some writers where no where to be found, thanks to d9ty7, you made me register in nairaland.

Just wanted to include myself in this issue, because i know not only you the writers are having this problem, and i also notice, most thread are been derailed, which means people here are above the law, something like, you will see the thronekid saying when someone commented on their post and they start asking for what the person want, like origin, whisky, dogoyaro and unnecessary things, are all this things necessary in a post.

And here stand a new law, literature section is not meant for only stories, and therefore we are all here to learn, no body is perfect, i don't believe in perfection, i believe in trying and succeeding.

So if we still thinks, this board is only meant for stories then count no post to make front page, because when a post makes front page from a board, readers do likes to check that board...

This all i have to say
Ever since I commenced writing, You've never dropped a comment nor anything. The only thing you can pinpoint is my Flaw.
Keep it up!
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stonecoldcafe: 8:05am On May 03, 2015
My opinion is on the type of work being churned today. I remember the last collaboration story that was done, before then, I've never followed one. So this time I said I must follow.

Granted it was mostly by new writers (which in itself is a great thing) but the quality by some of the writers were not good. At some point after I read an update, I paused and began to laugh. I couldn't believe it. It seemed the organizers were more interested in getting the schedule working than helping some of the budding writers.

I took time to point out the glaring errors on a particular post but NOT one person said a thing. I believe if I had not spoken it would have gone on because there was another weak submission before his though not too bad. Corrections were not done and that particular writer didn't say a word! Instead people kept commenting 'that was hot! Thank you' {When a writer is corrected and he says 'yeah, you have a point thanks. He is not only improving himself but helping his readers}

The next update was even worse, it was then I quietly unfollowed the thread. Perhaps they had a meeting place (whatApp) where they chose to correct theirselves, I don't know. What am I saying? We all need to help the writers and writers should be open to correction. That's what the organizers of 'the collaboration work' may want to learn from other competition organizers e.g white mosquito's flash contest. I know the collaboration is not a contest but I bet the aim is to bring out the best in writers.

Perhaps that way, we can help the new crop of writers get better and improve the work we see today. This is not a shot at anyone - thanks.

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 8:46am On May 03, 2015
thronekid:

Ever since I commenced writing, You've never dropped a comment nor anything. The only thing you can pinpoint is my Flaw.
Keep it up!

hey don't get me wrong, haven't been active for days that's why i haven't commented on this okay...
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 9:01am On May 03, 2015
TheAlpha:

hey don't get me wrong, haven't been active for days that's why i haven't commented on this okay...
It's your choice to say whatever.
Enjoy!
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:22am On May 03, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Yeah I get you. In my experience, the story tells you when it's time to tell them. Take your time.

smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by avicky(f): 11:29am On May 03, 2015
ihedinobi2:

She should still take her time? Do you know how long Efemenaxy has gone off the radar?
Babes, it's high time you pick your writing pad. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by avicky(f): 11:30am On May 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

cheesy cheesy

Yeah, you are right. But your own procrastination no be here.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 11:38am On May 03, 2015
avicky:

She should still take her time? Do you know how long Efemenaxy has gone off the radar?
Babes, it's high time you pick your writing pad. Thanks.

cheesy cheesy

avicky:

Yeah, you are right. But your own procrastination no be here.

Lmao!!

Babes, pity me small. Can't you see how understanding Ihe is? smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 11:53am On May 03, 2015
stonecoldcafe:
My opinion is on the type of work being churned today. I remember the last collaboration story that was done, before then, I've never followed one. So this time I said I must follow.

Granted it was mostly by new writers (which in itself is a great thing) but the quality by some of the writers were not good. At some point after I read an update, I paused and began to laugh. I couldn't believe it. It seemed the organizers were more interested in getting the schedule working than helping some of the budding writers.

I took time to point out the glaring errors on a particular post but NOT one person said a thing. I believe if I had not spoken it would have gone on because there was another weak submission before his though not too bad. Corrections were not done and that particular writer didn't say a word! Instead people kept commenting 'that was hot! Thank you' {When a writer is corrected and he says 'yeah, you have a point thanks. He is not only improving himself but helping his readers}

The next update was even worse, it was then I quietly unfollowed the thread. Perhaps they had a meeting place (whatApp) where they chose to correct theirselves, I don't know. What am I saying? We all need to help the writers and writers should be open to correction. That's what the organizers of 'the collaboration work' may want to learn from other competition organizers e.g white mosquito's flash contest. I know the collaboration is not a contest but I bet the aim is to bring out the best in writers.

Perhaps that way, we can help the new crop of writers get better and improve the work we see today. This is not a shot at anyone - thanks.
The Pre-Collaboration collaboration was organised with the sole aim of finding nice writers who are not very known in the Literature board. Some are good, and some, not so good. That was the kind of thing that was expected in stuffs like that. Even from there, I was dazzled with brilliance by people like Ruffhandu, Theorbiters, Kinwayne, Stuff46, Thronekid, Simonhabby and some others. Readers who read collaboration works should know that it's not easy; the writers would have to journey down to the depth of their wits to connect likely loose ends and also weave new plots in the process.

All writers are equal, we all have voices within us that want to be heard. The only difference is the way we speak out the words. Truly, and evidently, some writers have more potential than others. But I've come across some faulty posts and I knew that I used to write like that, but I got better with time. In like manners, I've come across some other writers' works and I always wished I could write as brilliantly; still, I know I could with time. Most of these writers only need encouragement to get better, but telling them they are the best when they are not is only deception.

Let the accomplished writers and critics know that the young writers are humans, too. And all writers should be open to honest criticisms. As far as I'm concerned, we are ALL still learners in this craft.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by avicky(f): 12:02pm On May 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

cheesy cheesy

Lmao!!

Babes, pity me small. Can't you see how understanding Ihe is? smiley

If only Ihe knows where we are both coming from. He won't have had any nice words for you.

And I won't pat you on the back either sad. Efe, please nau, get back on track mbok. winkI have missed your writings. grin
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by kayemjay(m): 12:15pm On May 03, 2015
Pass me a bottle of dongoyaro please..

Make I book space...

Cos this kind of thing rarely happens in France.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stonecoldcafe: 12:32pm On May 03, 2015
LarrySun:
The Pre-Collaboration collaboration was organised with the sole aim of finding nice writers who are not very known in the Literature board. Some are good, and some, not so good. That was the kind of thing that was expected in stuffs like that. Even from there, I was dazzled with brilliance by people like Ruffhandu, Theorbiters, Kinwayne, Stuff46, Thronekid, Simonhabby and some others. Readers who read collaboration works should know that it's not easy; the writers would have to journey down to the depth of their wits to connect likely loose ends and also weave new plots in the process.

All writers are equal, we all have voices within us that want to be heard. The only difference is the way we speak out the words. Truly, and evidently, some writers have more potential than others. But I've come across some faulty posts and I knew that I used to write like that, but I got better with time. In like manners, I've come across some other writers' works and I always wished I could write as brilliantly; still, I know I could with time. Most of these writers only need encouragement to get better, but telling them they are the best when they are not is only deception.

Let the accomplished writers and critics know that the young writers are humans, too. And all writers should be open to honest criticisms. As far as I'm concerned, we are ALL still learners in this craft.

I understand your point but I can only advise (for future editions) it will be great if someone glosses over the submission before it is allowed to go up.

By the way I was not talking about 'uninteresting' writing; I was referring to some updates I struggled to understand. I am talking about words that don't exist or sentences that didn't add up. I understand the challenges of picking up from where another writer left off and I don't take their work for granted. At the end of the day, I'm just writing about decent work and the need for change like others have been clamoring for here. Sorry that I picked your initiative but that was one example I vividly recall.

PS: I didn't say every update I read was bad - I said some. Besides I appreciate writers (whether they are new or not) whose work we don't see quite often. I still remember the dude who wrote 'Clarity' in the flash contest. That was brilliant work for me and that is not a writer I really knew.

I think this will be my last on this issue.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 3:04pm On May 03, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

I understand your point but I can only advise (for future editions) it will be great if someone glosses over the submission before it is allowed to go up.

By the way I was not talking about 'uninteresting' writing; I was referring to some updates I struggled to understand. I am talking about words that don't exist or sentences that didn't add up. I understand the challenges of picking up from where another writer left off and I don't take their work for granted. At the end of the day, I'm just writing about decent work and the need for change like others have been clamoring for here. Sorry that I picked your initiative but that was one example I vividly recall.

PS: I didn't say every update I read was bad - I said some. Besides I appreciate writers (whether they are new or not) whose work we don't see quite often. I still remember the dude who wrote 'Clarity' in the flash contest. That was brilliant work for me and that is not a writer I really knew.

I think this will be my last on this issue.

No, don't please. You made some very valid points and we need more honest feedback from folks like you. Feedback that doesn't necessarily have to be liked, but is essential to writers' improvements and progress.

@Larrysun: Which of the collaboration threads is he referring to? Is it your first one? Because I remember the quality of that one with the likes of Ishilove gracing it was overall, quite high...
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 3:07pm On May 03, 2015
avicky:

If only Ihe knows where we are both coming from. He won't have had any nice words for you.

And I won't pat you on the back either sad. Efe, please nau, get back on track mbok. winkI have missed your writings. grin

grin grin cheesy

Ihe is a nice guy. But professionally very strict (which I like).

Avicky, I'm just not having any writing vibes na...if I put pen to paper now-now, you'll think it's someone else's writing. But out of interest, was there anything in particular you wanted me to write afresh / continue with?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

M.A.R.Y. A Supernatural Story By Danny Walker. The best Supernatural story ever / *~Efemena-xy Voted Literature/Writing Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations / Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.