Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,074 members, 7,814,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (120882 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Phut(f): 9:43am On Jun 02, 2015
Radoillo:

The traditions that I am familiar with say that the Ugwuta people were part of the Umuezechime migration from Benin (or Agbor) through the Aniocha area of Delta to Onitsha. After the leader of the Ugwuta group lost the leadership tussle to Chimaefi, leader of the Onitsha group, the Ugwuta group decided to leave Onitsha to the present site of Ugwuta.

This, at least, is what the tradition relates. There may be other traditions that tell the story differently, but I haven't yet encountered them.

I have my reservations about this Aniocha-to-Onitsha-to-Ugwuta traditions however, especially because Ugwuta dialect doesn't sound quite like Onitsha-Aniocha, but sounds almost exactly like what you would hear in the Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni area. This suggests to me that the ancestors of the Ugwuta people probably came from that area - the Ukwuani-Aboh area. In some of my discussions with Abagworo (who I believe to be from the Ugwuta area) I said - and I think he agreed - that Ugwuta is basically an Ukwuani dialect. The same is true for Ndoni. In a sense, Ndoni and Ugwuta could be said to be 'Ndokwa' communities on the other side of the Niger River.
Now I can't wait to hear an Ukwuani or Ndoni person speak. Biko they should give us Urashi State. *sticks tongue out*

Thanks for the info, Radiollo. Much respect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Phut(f): 9:54am On Jun 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
My brother you asked a very good question, in igbo land we migrated from some areas, I am an anambra man but my grand father told me that we migrated from some part in imo state, u know why i used ndokwa is that i wanted the ukwuani to understand that they speak the same igbo dialect with some part of imo state especially uguta 1 and 2 which includes egbuoma and which is few minutes drive from owerri. I am owerri born boy married an ukwuani woman and i have uguta friend even my kid brother wife is from uguta 1

now when i talk i talk with fact...most villages that have names around places have origin from those places..take a look okuzu in ukwuani they are from awkuzu in present day anambra, but there are execption to this rule like port harchourt...that doesnt mean that they are from England but they have English influence so was Benin empire, they had many influence in some parts of igbo land, mind you noyt all. these influences is in periphereal part of igbo land so for you have umudei ..that means that the village is the children of dei and must have migrated from present day delta igbo and delta igbo havingg benin inflence must have carried some of their nuances and culture with them when migrating...never you under estimate the power of colonialism so the term iyasara came into been suh like we have ichafu for head scaff in igbo land...but ichafu is not an igbo word it is from european word meaning la chiffon a kind of material

Ukwuani and Uguta have same dialect and are kins the same way onitsha miri and asab have same dialect...just like looking into owerri migration and Agbor...you will understand that Agbor speaks the same dialect with Owerri just that a little benin inflence also

Ndoni and Ndokwa land speaks same dialect of Igbo which include uguta and that was why I categorized them same just like Ohaji, Egbema, Etche and possibly Ikwerre speaks same dialect which includes a bit of izombe and elele side....i am vast with dialects and i can categoricall speak upto 6 igbo dialects seamlessly

dalu nwanne

nice question

I am from Ugwuta 1. Amaeshi ... Obodo giro giri.

Mbona, nyirita'm. I ghotara ife'm kwuru?

BTW, I am female
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ihuomadinihu: 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:

BTW, I am female
Biko translate ya mbona.....
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Phut(f): 6:18pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Biko translate ya mbona.....

So you understand what Mbona means. Egbema people say Mbola. Same word - slightly different pronounciation.

Nyirita'm = Nwanne'm

Ugwuta people also say Nwanne'm but pronounce it as Nyanne'm. In other words, the N is pronounced the way you pronounce the N in Anara (garden egg)

Amaeshi is the nickname given to Ugwuta by its proud sons and daughters grin

Obodo giri giri = Obodo na kwu Ike

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:

So you understand what Mbona means. Egbema people say Mbola. Same word - slightly different pronounciation.

Nyirita'm = Nwanne'm

Ugwuta people also say Nwanne'm but pronounce it as Nyanne'm. In other words, the N is pronounced the way you pronounce the N in Anara (garden egg)

Amaeshi is the nickname given to Ugwuta by its proud sons and daughters grin

Obodo giri giri = Obodo na kwu Ike

I'm unfamiliar with the way they speak in Egbema, but let me make an educated guess, based on the little information I have on Ukwuani speech.

Mbona = Mbene = Thank you.

How close am I? smiley

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Phut(f): 7:17pm On Jun 02, 2015
Radoillo:

I'm unfamiliar with the way they speak in Egbema, but let me make an educated guess, based on the little information I have on Ukwuani speech.

Mbona = Mbene = Thank you.

How close am I? smiley

You're spot on. grin
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:17am On Jun 03, 2015
oboy3:
how do you know the one which is ancient and the recent one?

Traditions.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 4:58am On Jun 03, 2015
Mrval20:
Umu Nsukka Asadu, unu eme aga?

A tu m ngege!!
E speaki lekwe

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 6:44am On Jun 03, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Traditions.
i dont understand,pls expanciate,,
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 12:37pm On Jun 03, 2015
ogo m

nne kedu ka idi

Phut:

BTW, I am female
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 12:52pm On Jun 03, 2015
is he on point..do they use mbene also in egbuoma and oguta 1
Phut:

You're spot on. grin
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 1:35pm On Jun 03, 2015
Its only you and bigfrancis21 can know this ..pls my area in anambra the igbo ukwu, amichi, osumenyi.ukpo and those nnewi zones have different dialects but to a non anambra they will think it is the common anambra but we from that zone (Nnewi South) have a peculiar way of speaking kind of dragging and sing song anambra dialect..it sounds like they are dragging igbo and singing it..though it is going extinct only old people can speak my village and igbo ukwu dialect fluently we the young ones speak the common anambra language

if you have heard a typical igbo ukwu, ichida, amichi and osumenyi dude speak....what dialect is that

biko tunye onu na ihea
Radoillo:

The traditions that I am familiar with say that the Ugwuta people were part of the Umuezechime migration from Benin (or Agbor) through the Aniocha area of Delta to Onitsha. After the leader of the Ugwuta group lost the leadership tussle to Chimaefi, leader of the Onitsha group, the Ugwuta group decided to leave Onitsha to the present site of Ugwuta.

This, at least, is what the tradition relates. There may be other traditions that tell the story differently, but I haven't yet encountered them.

I have my reservations about this Aniocha-to-Onitsha-to-Ugwuta traditions however, especially because Ugwuta dialect doesn't sound quite like Onitsha-Aniocha, but sounds almost exactly like what you would hear in the Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni area. This suggests to me that the ancestors of the Ugwuta people probably came from that area - the Ukwuani-Aboh area. In some of my discussions with Abagworo (who I believe to be from the Ugwuta area) I said - and I think he agreed - that Ugwuta is basically an Ukwuani dialect. The same is true for Ndoni. In a sense, Ndoni and Ugwuta could be said to be 'Ndokwa' communities on the other side of the Niger River.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
Its only you and bigfrancis21 can know this ..pls my area in anambra the igbo ukwu, amichi, osumenyi.ukpo and those nnewi zones have different dialects but to a non anambra they will think it is the common anambra but we from that zone (Nnewi South) have a peculiar way of speaking kind of dragging and sing song anambra dialect..it sounds like they are dragging igbo and singing it..though it is going extinct only old people can speak my village and igbo ukwu dialect fluently we the young ones speak the common anambra language

if you have heard a typical igbo ukwu, ichida, amichi and osumenyi dude speak....what dialect is that

biko tunye onu na ihea

I haven't heard people from any of the towns you mentioned speak their native tongue , to be honest. But based on the region you mentioned (Nnewi South), I suspect that the dialect you are referring to is probably the Orsu lect.

The Orsu 'subethnic group' are found not only in Nnewi South, but also some towns in Ihiala LGA. They also spread into the northern part of Imo, and are found in Orsu LGA, as well as some communities in Orlu LGA.

Can you type a few sentences and their meanings in this dialect?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by christopher123(m): 2:25pm On Jun 03, 2015
Radoillo:

I haven't heard people from any of the towns you mentioned speak their native tongue , to be honest. But based on the region you mentioned (Nnewi South), I suspect that the dialect you are referring to is probably the Orsu lect.

The Orsu 'subethnic group' are found not only in Nnewi South, but also some towns in Ihiala LGA. They also spread into the northern part of Imo, and are found in Orsu LGA, as well as some communities in Orlu LGA.

no

It is not orsu...I am imo born and i know orsu ...it is unique with some elements of central igbo and anambra then unique lect..i am from there and I know what i am saying

The dialect is funny but nice ..have you heard an amichi or nnewi ichi igbo ukwu speak ...u will undetstand
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by christopher123(m): 2:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
Radoillo:

Pure amichi and igbo ukwu will say
O nge .....what is it
Nwehi......now
Ome angha..how are you

I just cant speak it...this few I can speak ..wasnt born in village did grow up in imo so
This few I can say
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by MrBully: 2:51pm On Jun 03, 2015
Where do place Asaba, my mother's hometown? They speak Ibo too
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

biko tunye onu na ihea

I have a brother from another mother from Nnewi and he tells me that the original Nnewi dialect is quite thick and is commonly heard only amongst the elderly. That only the older folks can speak the original Nnewi dialect and that the younger generation speak the general anambra dialect, with some southern Igbo words here and there.

I remember one Nnewi word 'fondua', but I don't remember again what it means. grin
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 3:03pm On Jun 03, 2015
christopher123:

no

It is not orsu...I am imo born and i know orsu ...[b]it is unique with some elements of central igbo and anambra then unique lec[/b]t..i am from there and I know what i am saying

The dialect is funny but nice ..have you heard an amichi or nnewi ichi igbo ukwu speak ...u will undetstand

@bold...which dialect are you referring to? The Orsu or Nnewi dialect?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
EXACTLY ...my brother

Nnewi Axis have this dialect that people dont know...it is thick and it is spoken from Igbo ukwu Amichi, Awka Etiti, Ichida, Orsumeanyi and Utuh ..If you are from anambra you will know this axis

I know that it is going extinct and to be honest I cant speak it, not that i dont want but i dont know how to and most old folks are dying and they know how to spaek it...we just speak the ordinary anambra igbo but that is pathetic

but mind you we speak almost like orlu/orsu region not same

we used to say

o nge for ogine
nwehi for ugbua

etc

bigfrancis21:

I have a brother from another mother from Nnewi and he tells me that the original Nnewi dialect is quite thick and is commonly heard only amongst the elderly. That only the older folks can speak the original Nnewi dialect and that the younger generation speak the general anambra dialect, with some southern Igbo words here and there.

I remember one Nnewi word 'fondua', but I don't remember again what it means. grin
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:16pm On Jun 03, 2015
Asaba , onitsha, obosi speaks alike....so that is not debateable
MrBully:
Where do place Asaba, my mother's hometown? They speak Ibo too
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by MrBully: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
Asaba , onitsha, obosi speaks alike....so that is not debateable
Ok
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2015
are you from there

MrBully:

Ok
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by MrBully: 4:20pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
are you from there

My father is Ijaw, my mom Asaba
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:20pm On Jun 03, 2015
I am thinking that the bonny and those island igbo speak unevolved igbo... you know igbo is becoming eveloved and where do you think speak the unevolved igbo

maybe the rquitorial guinea igbo migrants

what is your take

bigfrancis21:

@bold...which dialect are you referring to? The Orsu or Nnewi dialect?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:22pm On Jun 03, 2015
ok..that is nice..is it ijaw delta or rivers or bayelsa
MrBully:

My father is Ijaw, my mom Asaba
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by MrBully: 4:29pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
ok..that is nice..is it ijaw delta or rivers or bayelsa
Ijaw Bayelsa, Kalabari
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 03, 2015
christopher123:

Pure amichi and igbo ukwu will say
O nge .....what is it
Nwehi......now
Ome angha..how are you

I just cant speak it...this few I can speak ..wasnt born in village did grow up in imo so
This few I can say

Hmm. Interesting.

Well, I wouldn't want to speak too firmly about something that I don't know too much about. But I know that in the Orsu tongue, ngee is also gini. You know in the Orsu area of Imo State, many people are no longer able to converse in their original tongue, and now speak what we may now loosely refer to as 'Central Igbo'. Maybe that's why you haven't observed the similarity between the dialect of Nnewi South and Orsu in Imo.

What parts of Imo did you used to live in?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 5:09pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

biko tunye onu na ihea
your part of nnewi drag word like my ekwulobia guy does,even igbo-nkwo(igbo ukwu) too,word like shop he pronounces as shooopu as if he is singing it,,lol
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 5:33pm On Jun 03, 2015
lol your so correct ...like bread ...we drag it like breeeeedi and that dialect is unique to us...it sounds as if we are singing

lol..but it is going extinct or it has gone extinct

oboy3:
your part of nnewi drag word like my ekwulobia guy does,even igbo-nkwo(igbo ukwu) too,word like shop he pronounces as shooopu as if he is singing it,,lol
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 5:34pm On Jun 03, 2015
[quote author=Radoillo post=34389760]

Hmm. Interesting.

Well, I wouldn't want to speak too firmly about something that I don't know too much about. But I know that in the Orsu tongue, ngee is also gini. You know in the Orsu area of Imo State, many people are no longer able to converse in their original tongue, and now speak what we may now loosely refer to as 'Central Igbo'. Maybe that's why you haven't observed the similarity between the dialect of Nnewi South and Orsu in Imo.

What parts of Imo did you used to live in?[/quote owerri bro
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 5:36pm On Jun 03, 2015
do u have dilacects in bayelsa and is it true that goodluck aint ijaw
MrBully:

Ijaw Bayelsa, Kalabari

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 6:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
lol your so correct ...like bread ...we drag it like breeeeedi and that dialect is unique to us...it sounds as if we are singing

lol..but it is going extinct or it has gone extinct

yes,i havent seen any younger person speaking that way,only people in their 40s and 50s ftom there that speak that wAy ,its sad really

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) / Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.