Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? (23067 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 4:05am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

errrm mixed is mixed. be it race wise or tribe. if you are a combination or two or more groups of ppl you are mixed. even if it is 5 percent, that 5 percent determined whether or not you would be who you are or if you would have even existed therefore its worthy of mention.  tongue Some reverse psychology fo yo azz!  grin grin so in essence you too are a "mixed baztud".  tongue JUST LIKE MEEEE! 
There is no difference btween ibibio, efik and annang blood. We are the same. grin just live in different areas.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

There is no difference btween ibibio, efik and annang blood. We are the same. grin just live in different areas.

I've met Efik ppl who CANNOT stand to be mistaken for Ibibios. They said Ibibios are wicked ppl.

Anywaz sha. . . . all I know is that I'm a proud Yoruba woman.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 4:08am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I've met Efik ppl who CANNOT stand to be mistaken for Ibibios. They said Ibibios are wicked ppl.

*sounds horn*

Pleep Pleep!!! grin

you wanna counter that rebuttal? cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 4:09am On Sep 17, 2011
Aren't everyone related by blood?   undecided

I didn't know the bloods were different and varies by persons.  

If you put a black, white, asian, hispanic, and Arab person in a circle and cut all of their heads off the blood gushing out will look the same.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 4:12am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Exactly. I made a mistake of telling a Korean woman she was Vietnamese. She almost bit my head off. I think I said aren't you guys related by blood?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 4:13am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

angry wtf was that for?
anyway your right Ibibios are wicked people there is some animosity between the groups. This is Political, though we look exactly the same and the blood is the same.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 4:14am On Sep 17, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Exactly. I made a mistake of telling a Korean woman she was Vietnamese. She almost bit my head off. I think I said aren't you guys related by blood?
okay thats a huge difference. Koreans and vietnamese don't even look alike. i don't blame her for getting offended.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 4:18am On Sep 17, 2011
I still dont understand how some ppl can say Africans are not mixed. . . . please refer back to your colonial times.

pleep:

angry wtf was that for?
anyway your right Ibibios are wicked people there is some animosity between the groups. This is Political, though we look exactly the same and the blood is the same.

Really, if we're going by looks here, I wonder how you can tell apart a Yoruba man and a Bini man.

Mrs, Chima:

Exactly.  I made a mistake of telling a Korean woman she was Vietnamese.  She almost bit my head off.  I think I said aren't you guys related by blood?  

Lol Nigeria is soooo mixed thanks to intertribal marriage and trade, so yes there is a mixture of blood within some families and groups. Before colonization forced us under one roof, each group was distinct from another.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 4:24am On Sep 17, 2011
^ Right you Yoruba people think your a lost tribe of Arabia or something. keep believing that if u wish, but please don't spread the infection Abeg.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 4:39am On Sep 17, 2011
LMAO@Korean and Vietnamese don't look alike. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Where is that damn cat? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hell even ASIAN people are calling Koreans VIETNAMESE! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 4:49am On Sep 17, 2011
I'll be honest I cant tell Asians apart except for Japanese but there are differences according to Asians,

Japanese tend to be the Fairest while Chinese tend to be slightly tan, Vietnamese Laotian etc tend to be slightly darker than the other two and Indonesia and the Philippines are the tannest of the Asian groups. Then some of them divide by eye creases, they can tell like Nigerians can tell each other apart I guess,
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 4:52am On Sep 17, 2011
Yeah sure.  (curling lips upward)

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 4:52am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I still dont understand how some ppl can say Africans are not mixed. . . . please refer back to your colonial times.

Really, if we're going by looks here, I wonder how you can tell apart a Yoruba man and a Bini man.

Lol Nigeria is soooo mixed thanks to intertribal marriage and trade, so yes there is a mixture of blood within some families and groups. Before colonization forced us under one roof, each group was distinct from another.

Of course some Africans are mixed Cape Verde people most definitely are an example.
But An Igbo woman and Yoruba man are of the same race, how exactly can one mix?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

[size=18pt]I still dont understand how some ppl can say Africans are not mixed. . . . please refer back to your colonial times.
[/size]

[size=18pt]Lol Nigeria is soooo mixed thanks to intertribal marriage and trade, so yes there is a mixture of blood within some families and groups.[/size] Before colonization forced us under one roof, each group was distinct from another.

THANK [size=18pt][U]YOU[/U][/size]! cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 5:06am On Sep 17, 2011
Like I said I'm not an expert on Asians but that's what they say and what I heard
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:09am On Sep 17, 2011
Chima i can tell the difference btn asians, africans, west indians, latinos.

im not ALWAYS right but i am usually close.

lemme see if i can past this yer 'which type of orient' test.  tongue

1 Vietnamese (  undecided undecided)
2 Korean (  undecided undecided )
3 Vietnamese (definitely)
4 Korean (i know for sure)
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 5:12am On Sep 17, 2011
^ Yea me too, I find that the south Asians are much more attractive. But the Chinese. . . well its hard to find a hot chinese girl undecided

Korean and Japanese girls are okay too.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 17, 2011
saiyaman:

Of course some Africans are mixed Cape Verde people most definitely are an example.
But An Igbo woman and Yoruba man are of the same race, how exactly can one mix?

When two people of different origins continues to marry and bear offspring through generations, wouldnt those tho groups be mixed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, havent the Yorubas/Igbos, Hausas/Yoruba, Yorubas/Calabars been marrying for years now. oOf course, you have some people who are "pure" Yorubas (like me) and some who are "pure" Igbos with "no taint".

At the rate everybody is mixing in Nigeria, in 50 yrs from now, what would we call those generations? Or is that not the standard we used to define "mixed" carribeans, i.e Jamaicans?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 17, 2011
^^right.

chinese girls usually have larger heads  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed (*hides from ms. potato!*  grin)

and south east asians usually have that indian - asian mix look which is VERY attractive and compliments their
high cheek bones and thick hair.

The hottest Asian women to me are Filipinas, Cambodians, and Koreans. Japanese girls are cute too. Nice and petite but their heads are usually long.  undecided Mongolian women look too TOUGH  tongue

Ileke-IdI:

When two people of different origins continues to marry and bear offspring through generations, wouldnt those tho groups be mixed.   cool cool cool cool cool cool

Correct me if I'm wrong, havent the Yorubas/Igbos, Hausas/Yoruba, Yorubas/Calabars been marrying for years now. oOf course, you have some people who are "pure" Yorubas (like me) and some who are "pure" Igbos with "no taint".

At the rate everybody is mixing in Nigeria, in 50 yrs from now, what would we call those generations? Or is that not the standard we used to define "mixed" carribeans, i.e Jamaicans? (**hmmmmm interesting question)
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 5:25am On Sep 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

When two people of different origins continues to marry and bear offspring through generations, wouldnt those tho groups be mixed.

At the rate everybody is mixing in Nigeria, in 50 yrs from now, what would we call those generations? Or is that not the standard we used to define "mixed" carribeans, i.e Jamaicans?

When I think of mixed I think Black and White or Asian and White etc. most people wouldn't count a Yoruba and Igbo marriage as mixed because they are of the same race, Black  undecided That's how I look at it
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

^^right.

chinese girls usually have larger heads  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed (*hides from ms. potato!*  grin)

and south east asians usually have that indian - asian mix look which is VERY attractive and compliments their
high cheek bones and thick hair.

The hottest Asian women to me are Filipinas, Cambodians, and Koreans. Japanese girls are cute too. Nice and petite but their heads are usually long.  undecided [size=28pt]Mongolian women look too TOUGH[/size]  tongue

Are they the women with extra extra muscular thick legs? I see them around.

You try, you can tell Asians apart. They all look Chinese to me (ignorance is not bliss, I know). I cant tell the difference between my Chinese/ Vietnamese friends,  both chicks look alike.

Usually when I ask them, I always find that 9/10 times : Filipino men? Hot!!  Chinese men, ugly.

saiyaman:

When I think of mixed I think Black and White or Asian and White etc. most people wouldn't count a Yoruba and Igbo marriage as mixed because they are of the same race, Black  undecided That's how I look at it

Oh I see. Different race. Then Nigeria would not go by that standard.

But then I thought Igbos were from the lost tribe of Israel. So technically, wouldnt "mixed" be the right term?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 6:11am On Sep 17, 2011
I once asked a Liberian guy if he was Nigerian and he nearly bit my head off. True story, So what is considered mixed? I know its somewhat rhetorical, but do your parents have to be different races for you to be a a "proper" biracial?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 6:42am On Sep 17, 2011
^ liberians smh.  angry haha, well i personally think that u have to be 2 different races. Cuz if it was by tribe or ethnic groups everyone would be biracial.
Are they  the women with extra extra muscular thick legs? I see them around.
Asian girls have the worst legs in general.
MsDarkSkin:

undecided Mongolian women look too TOUGH  tongue

Sexy.  grin u don't like the ridiculously high cheekbones? very dignified. Hmm . .  I remember when i accidentally saw up that Kazakhstani exchange students skirt. lol
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 6:46am On Sep 17, 2011
Yeah! he was Liberian, Politics/race stuff confuse me. I don't even know my own history, well I am minoring in African history that might help. tongue
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 6:51am On Sep 17, 2011
Only Mz. Darkskin tough enough to take the Orient test? lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

Chima i can tell the difference btn asians, africans, west indians, latinos.

im not ALWAYS right but i am usually close.

lemme see if i can past this yer 'which type of orient' test.  tongue

1 Vietnamese (  undecided undecided)
2 Korean (  undecided undecided )
3 Vietnamese (definitely)
4 Korean (i know for sure)

Your answers are noted.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 6:54am On Sep 17, 2011
african1:

Yeah! he was Liberian,  Politics/race stuff confuse me. I don't even know my own history, well I am minoring in African history that might help.  tongue
You don't like talking about racism? i'm obsessed with it. So what kind of stuff do u like to talk about?

ive never heard of anyone minoring in african history shocked
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 7:02am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

You don't like talking about racism? i'm obsessed with it. So what kind of stuff do u like to talk about?

ive never heard of anyone minoring in african history shocked
I do like talking about it, but its confusing. I am currently taking this social problems class where all we talk about is race, it a bit annoying. People ask me question that I don't know how to answer. I like sports: football, baseball, basketball you mention it.

I love English, so its abviously gonna be my number one choice, well its history, but I will maily take African history courses.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:10am On Sep 17, 2011
Thats unusual, haha it just seems unexpected that a Somali girl would be into baseball

I like English too, well i guess i don't like it but i'm kinda good at it. So your majoring in English? see that would be too much for me, haha cant imagine. 

There is so much African history out there that no one knows about. kudos for exploring it!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 7:20am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

Thats unusual, haha it just seems unexpected that a Somali girl would be into baseball

I like English too, well i guess i don't like it but i'm kinda good at it. So your majoring in English? see that would be too much for me, haha cant imagine.

There is so much African history out there that no one knows about. kudos for exploring it!

Ouch!! Wat did you expect? That I would be locked up in my home, covered from head to toe, waiting for my father to find me a husband. tongue tongue tongue Lol Thats just hurtful man.

Yeah! Journalism, Hopefully it works out for the best. smiley What do you wanna study?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:27am On Sep 17, 2011
african1:

Ouch!! Wat did you expect? That I would be locked up in my home, covered from head to toe, waiting for my father to find me a husband. tongue tongue tongue Lol Thats just hurtful man.

Actually. . . yea embarassed that is kinda what i thought lol. I feel ignorant now. grin
african1:

Yeah! Journalism, Hopefully it works out for the best. smiley What do you wanna study?
Now that would be an awesome job! you get to travel the world and stuff. Great choice, I was thinking u were going to become an English teacher tongue

The only thing i want to do is business business business. Maybe major in business management and minor in economics or something. Hey, im actually going on my first business trip in December! wish me luck.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 7:35am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

Actually. . . yea embarassed that is kinda what i thought lol. I feel ignorant now. ;DNow that would be an awesome job! you get to travel the world and stuff. Great choice, I was thinking u were going to become an English teacher tongue

The only thing i want to do is business business business. Maybe major in business management and minor in economics or something. Hey, im actually going on my first business trip in December! wish me luck.

Ha ha ha well I didn't expect that! Dont trip tho, its cool. smiley
Business is blah, blah. Lol But I do wish u best of luck. Well I am gonna head to bed, so good night.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others / Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) / NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.