Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? (23013 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:38am On Sep 17, 2011
haha i didn't think u were litterally locked in your room tongue take a joke!

its 2 38 A:m over here shocked
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 7:43am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

haha i didn't think u were litterally locked in your room tongue take a joke!

its 2 38 A:m over here shocked

Lol well I took it as a joke, unless you didn't mean it as a joke. See now am getting confused.

I have to meet with my study group at the University tomorrow at seven. I took ur advice and made some friends, they might be the study group, but hey baby steps right? wink
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:47am On Sep 17, 2011
Oh, well usually when a girl says something like "don't trip" they mean: TRIP!  undecided and i'm sure u get that alot. .

Anyway, yea i bet a study group would be a great place to meet friends. whenever i meet with ppl to study and stuff we always end up talking the whole time  grin

And they will probably be better quality friends than the steriotypical binge drinker types.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by african1(f): 7:51am On Sep 17, 2011
Well from now on when I say don't trip, it usually means don't trip tongue well am already half asleep so night,
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:53am On Sep 17, 2011
I guess i read into it too much, its hard to read minds ya know. tongue anyway goodnight.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:33am On Sep 17, 2011
So now the definition of mixed has switched to African-African? I thought the premise had always been African/Foreigner? Why the switch?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 3:00pm On Sep 17, 2011
ChinenyeN:

So now the definition of mixed has switched to African-African? I thought the premise had always been African/Foreigner? Why the switch?

Moving the goal post cool
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:01pm On Sep 17, 2011
To make scoring easier, I bet.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 17, 2011
LMAO@ chima. it appears so.

@Ileke i think you are talking about chinese women grin
although mongolia is right on china's border. i was more so talking about their faces then their legs. grin grin

@ thread since when does one have to be BIRACIAL/MULTIRACIAL to be mixed? are you kidding me?

eth·nic/ˈeTHnik/
Noun: A member of an ethnic minority.
Adjective: Of or relating to a population subgroup (within a larger or dominant national or cultural group) with a common national or cultural tradition.

let's see here. I am Jamaican (mother) and African American (father) that in itself makes me bi-ethnic. if we want to be technical i am MULTI-ethnic because within both communities you have ppl who are combinations of various African tribes due to slavery. It is VERY possible to be mixed but part of one race (i am going to leave my "baztud 5 percent" out of this for one, happy pleep? tongue)
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:04am On Sep 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

To make scoring easier, I bet.
Everybody wants to get the win grin Changing the conditions in your favor cool
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 12:32am On Sep 18, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

LMAO@ chima. it appears so.

@Ileke i think you are talking about chinese women grin
although mongolia is right on china's border. i was more so talking about their faces then their legs. grin grin

@ thread since when does one have to be BIRACIAL/MULTIRACIAL to be mixed? are you kidding me?

let's see here. I am Jamaican (mother) and African American (father) that in itself makes me bi-ethnic. if we want to be technical i am MULTI-ethnic because within both communities you have ppl who are combinations of various African tribes due to slavery. It is VERY possible to be mixed but part of one race (i am going to leave my "baztud 5 percent" out of this for one, happy pleep? tongue)

I suppose. Anyway, i wanna ask u something. There is a topic on nland were a white racial scientist discovered he was 16% black, and many other white Americans are. Its normal. But i'm just wondering why black people, like yourself, make it so important? whereas other ethnic groups dont even keep track?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 18, 2011
pleep:

I suppose. Anyway, i wanna ask u something. There is a topic on nland were a white racial scientist discovered he was 16% black, and many other white Americans are. Its normal. But i'm just wondering why black people, like yourself, make it so important? whereas other ethnic groups dont even keep track?

actually they do!
if you ask a white person their lineage they will roll out nationalities AND percentages!

"well im irish mostly, Scandinavian on my moms side and also 1/3rd  french too and on my dad's side im irish, italian and got a little cherokee indian in me. . . im like 1/8th, cherokee i think. . ." CLASSIC!  grin

i havent met a white person YET who didnt claim to have native american blood or being "1/8th black".  tongue

for them it's PRIDE! when we do it? it's self hate. I don't get that.
esp. when it comes to Africans. seriously. my boyfriend who i love dearly is from cameroon and even HE has this complex.

if i say i am so and so, he gets annoyed but if i say i am african he'd ask "where in africa is jamaica or black america?" trying to be sarcastic. i dont get it pleep. what do you all want from us??  undecided ARE WE OR ARE WE NOT ALLOWED TO REP AFRICA? i feel so foolish asking but i need to know oo cause this run around is turning my brain into silly puddy!  undecided undecided (sharrup there!! to anyone even THINKING about cracking a joke!  grin)

but seriously, its bad enough we have to pay nearly 600 dollars just to find out a PORTION of our past via dna testing and THEN when trying to rep our blackness/africa we are told NOT to but if we claim other groups we are also hated on. whats up with that?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:16pm On Sep 18, 2011
Well, yea its common for white people to list the European nationalities there from and even native American. Because its 'cool' to be Cherokee or Irish or German. In the case of Native Americans, they have become fetishized and made into something almost mythical; but, you would be hard pressed to find any that say they are part black.

I never considered people like Tiger Woods black, but its evident that his emphasis on his mixture exposed some of his racial issues. Now just imagine someone who is as black as you or I emphasizing their mixture. That person would definately have issues.
MsDarkSkin:

if i say i am so and so, he gets annoyed but if i say i am African he'd ask "where in africa is jamaica or black america?" trying to be sarcastic. i dont get it pleep. what do you all want from us??  undecided ARE WE OR ARE WE NOT ALLOWED TO REP AFRICA? i feel so foolish asking but i need to know oo cause this run around is turning my brain into silly puddy!  undecided undecided (sharrup there!! to anyone even THINKING about cracking a joke!  grin)

Your putting words in my mouth. Anyway, i think its very rare for Africans to say that Afro Americans , south of the U.S, "cant rep Africa" because those areas still have strong African cultural traits. you even see these igbo ppl tryin to claim that every Afro-American is from igboland lol.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:41pm On Sep 18, 2011
Unfortunately this is what happened: the Caribbean and south America were organized on a color caste system with Pure black being on the bottom and pure white being at the top. In the french colony Saint Dominique, modern Haiti, there were 80 gradations of color. These color gradations determined a persons place in society, and people who had some sort of mixture felt that it gave them approval and respect from other castes.

The legacy of this system continues today, were despite the abolishment of the caste system, people still feel like mixture is a good thing. They value it much more than what would be seen as normal by other human beings.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 18, 2011
pleep:

Unfortunately this is what happened: the Caribbean and south America were organized on a color caste system with Pure black being on the bottom and pure white being at the top. In the french colony Saint Dominique, modern Haiti, there were 80 gradations of color. These color gradations determined a persons place in society, and people who had some sort of mixture felt that it gave them approval and respect from other castes.

The legacy of this system continues today, were despite the abolishment of the caste system, people still feel like mixture is a good thing. They value it much more than what would be seen as normal by other human beings.

okay so if you know that slavery occurred, that whites separated us based on color then you would know the answer to your question. no need to ask questions when you know the answer. in the past it was about trying to be "somebody" now its acceptance. why should i be ashamed of having native american/coolie ancestry to appease africans who btw refer to my ppl as impure? it makes no sense.

as for the igbos claiming western blacks they are right to acknowledge that SOME of our ancestry is from eastern nigeria although we all know NOT all. however even with their wanting to claim us, we still are not viewed as being "pure" hence the name 'akata'.

tiger woods IS right to call himself multiracial because he is. why would he or sean paul who like T.W. is black, white and asian claim to be JUST black? if they claimed ONLY black wouldn't they be denying their other roots?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 18, 2011
also you said someone as "black" as you or i claiming mixed ancestry means there's an issue. how is that?

you think being mixed means light skin and long hair??!  shocked shocked

my friend if you actually visited the caribbean and latin america you'd know, there are folks who look 100 percent african is features and dark tone but their hair is the texture of an asian or indian! not one negroid KINK in their hair texture. we look almost like the aborigines of the pacific islands!!!

look at caribbean coolies such as melanie fiona, tatiana ali, super cat (jamaican dj), the cast of "City of God"; etc.

caribbean "coolie" woman.

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 7:53pm On Sep 18, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

why should i be ashamed of having native American/coolie ancestry to appease Africans who btw refer to my ppl as impure? it makes no sense.

Were did you get this idea of trying to "appease" Africans? Most Africans aren't bothered by the fact that you guys are mixed, because you are. The problem arose when you called us mixed. Anyway, how much native American ancestry do u have?

MsDarkSkin:

tiger woods IS right to call himself multiracial because he is. why would he or Sean Paul who like T.W. is black, white and Asian claim to be JUST black? if they claimed ONLY black wouldn't they be denying their other roots?  
Of course! tiger woods is not African in any sense of the word. I've seen pure S.E Asians who look exactly like him. i only brought him up to draw a parallel between people who actually are substantially mixed and those who are barely mixed.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 18, 2011
pleep:

Were did you get this idea of trying to "appease" Africans? Most Africans aren't bothered by the fact that you guys are mixed, because you are. The problem arose when you called us mixed. Anyway, how much native American ancestry do u have?

i am PROUDLY 1/4th.

my grand mother on my mother's side belongs to the maroon people of st. catherine jamaica.
they like a lot of maroon jamaicans are the descendants of arawak/taino indians and africans
and in recent years those descendants mixed with east indian "slaves" who were brought to the
caribbean during the 1800s.

if africans did not care then why would there be countless threads and forums of some of you complaining about us repping our other sides, not to mention your complaint two or three posts above this one?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 8:09pm On Sep 18, 2011
Post my 'complaints' so i can explain them, Because that's not my purpose in this discussion. My issue was when u said most Africans are mixed

Anyway, 25% is substantial mixture i guess assuming your grandmother was 100% Indian of course. . .
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 18, 2011
lol i said i am 1/4th how would she be full? grin

that would mean i am 1/3rd! grin grin

anyway i dont need to post your complaints pleep. we are discussing why blacks claim other races
BECAUSE you "asked me why" after having complained about our wish to be non black so many times. tongue

anyway the taino indians have done more for my ancestors than their own african brethren lipsrsealed so i def. won't
deny them to appease any one. smiley

a little education for anyone who says other wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quet918aoMM
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 8:31pm On Sep 18, 2011
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

lol i said i am 1/4th how would she be full?  grin

that would mean i am 1/3rd!  grin grin

No it doesn't, you have four grandparents. 2 grandparents on you mothers side and 2 on your fathers side. If one of these individuals is pure Indian you would be 1/4 because 2 plus 2 is equal to 4.  You already know this, and i am trying to figure out why you are pretending not to.

In actuallity u are probably 13% Indian or less.

MsDarkSkin:

anyway i dont need to post your complaints pleep. we are discussing why blacks claim other races
BECAUSE you "asked me why" after having complained about our wish to be non black so many times.  tongue

That is a lie. I have made it blatantly clear i don't care if you guys are mixed or not, that my main concern is that you don't pull Africa into that mentality also.

I admit i did got a little sidetracked, trying to say that exulting and exaggerating mixture is self hatred. But you know more about the mentality of the Carribean than I. So ill let that go.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2011
pleep:

No it doesn't, you have four grandparents. 2 grandparents on you mothers side and 2 on your fathers side. If one of these individuals is pure Indian you would be 1/4 because 2 plus 2 is equal to 4.  You already know this, and i am trying to figure out why you are pretending not to.

In actuallity u are probably 13% Indian or less.
 That is a lie. I have made it blatantly clear i don't care if you guys are mixed or not, that my main concern is that you don't pull Africa into that mentality also.

I admit i did got a little sidetracked, trying to say that exulting and exaggerating mixture is self hatred. But you know more about the mentality of the Carribean than I. So ill let that go.

if i were desperate i'd post pictures of my grand mother and her father to prove a point but i am not and i respect my privacy. 13 percent or 1/4th it is what it is and my point is it's in me. you are the one who said we are exhibiting self hatred by claiming other ancestry other than african. the whole discussion about the light skin igbos was over two days ago. tongue
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 9:25pm On Sep 18, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

if africans did not care then why would there be countless threads and forums of some of you complaining about us repping our other sides, not to mention your complaint two or three posts above this one?

With all the "education" Pleep claimed Africans have then why too many of them are obsessed with whether those who live in America is mixed or not?  Someone who doesn't care wouldn't make a big fuss about it.  Real talk. 

Why not use the given "education" on improving water systems. stabilizing electricity, increasing employment rate with excellent benefits, and open Mayo health clinics for the poor without using OUTSIDE resources?

I have noticed SOME Africans are jealous of those who are biracial or multiracial while suffering from inferior complexity. 

Biracial and Multiracial Africans are already flourishing in America.   cheesyPlease proofread my post of any grammatical and spelling errors. I am standing on the grounds of the brightest people in the world.  lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nayah(f): 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2011
Having a light skin is not an Igbo label, there are first human beings and then Nigerians, their skin colour should not be a sign of tribe, this is not the most important, I prefer people see the Igbo like a key for economy or education for example. This light skin thing is not really important.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2011
^^
Exactly it seems like more people non-Igbo want to know the reason than the people themselves,

Mrs, Chima:

With all the "education" Pleep claimed Africans have then why too many of them are obsessed with whether those who live in America is mixed or not?  Someone who doesn't care wouldn't make a big fuss about it.  Real talk. 

Why not use the given "education" on improving water systems. stabilizing electricity, increasing employment rate with excellent benefits, and open Mayo health clinics for the poor without using OUTSIDE resources?

I have noticed SOME Africans are jealous of those who are biracial or multiracial while suffering from inferior complexity. 

Biracial and Multiracial Africans are already flourishing in America.   cheesyPlease proofread my post of any grammatical and spelling errors. I am standing on the grounds of the brightest people in the world.  lipsrsealed

Your buddy was the Grammar Nazi  grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 9:59pm On Sep 18, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Every African knows that Afro-Americans are mixed, and we don't care. If you would read before commenting for once you would notice that the problem started when she called all light skinned Africans mixed.

Biracial and Multiracial Africans are already flourishing in America.
Yea, many are. You will see them comming on this thread soon, claiming that white people raped them during colonial times. lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 1:36am On Sep 19, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Biracial and Multiracial Africans are already flourishing in America.   cheesyPlease proofread my post of any grammatical and spelling errors. I am standing on the grounds of the brightest people in the worldlipsrsealed

grin  grin 

@ blue: That's what's up tho. TRUE TALK!!!  cool

anyway. . . tongue check these videos out!  grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRcMtOGTzs LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFb0ze_7JyM <<< LMAO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcYeF6aEN0  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin

[size=28pt]HIL-A-RIOUS!!!!![/size]
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by MrsChima1(f): 1:57am On Sep 19, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

grin  grin 

@ blue: That's what's up tho. TRUE TALK!!!  cool

anyway. . . tongue check these videos out!  grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRcMtOGTzs LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFb0ze_7JyM <<< LMAO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcYeF6aEN0  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin

[size=28pt]HIL-A-RIOUS!!!!![/size]

You got issues! grin grin grin I was laughing when the nukka said look at that boy hairline!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 19, 2011
grin grin grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 19, 2011
deleted! angry
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Obiagu1(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2011
This MsDarkSkin is really a nutjob!

Tribal mixture in Nigeria is not up to 2% not to talk of European mixture or some other imaginary mixture.
So could that explain the near equal proportion of light and dark skinned Igbos

Some goons have to get it into their dull brains that being African does not mean being as dark as South Sudanese. Just like some ethnic groups are darker than others, some are lighter than others and Igbos happen to be among those with the highest proportion of light skinned people in sub-Saharan Africa.

I wonder how someone that's not Igbo will come here and tell us we are mixed. Mixed with who?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / Names Of Past And Present Attah Igala / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.