Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,009 members, 7,810,799 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) (28251 Views)

Rituals: Ondo Police Arrest Teachers For Taking Pupils' Blood & Fingernails / Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by BOWOTO(m): 11:33am On Apr 27, 2015
Jackeeh:

It's wrong because he's not 18 yet. This should begin in secondary institutions.
18 years, by then they'l be in university
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Jackeeh(m): 11:37am On Apr 27, 2015
BOWOTO:

18 years, by then they'l be in university

It should be by selection of those who merit it. Not politically via an election. That's my point.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by joladoyin(m): 11:37am On Apr 27, 2015
Enrol Now

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Qmab: 11:49am On Apr 27, 2015
What? This isn't new. We do that in my sec sch. Even class rep na voting.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Oballer: 12:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
reasons like you is why it is good to start early. tomorrow you will come out and say you want to become a senator when you can hardly spell future or even understand what it means...we need real brains and not fried egg brains. its good to start from primary school...the earlier the better....
jamex93:
so dem don dey teach this children how to rig election from small

feature PDP members
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by jamex93(m): 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
Oballer:
reasons like you is why it is good to start early. tomorrow you will come out and say you want to become a senator when you can hardly spell future or even understand what it means...we need real brains and not fried egg brains. its good to start from primary school...the earlier the better....

i see how prefect u r na
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by peteruuu(m): 12:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
curiouses:
I think everything is wrong with this. Senior boy and other prefects are supposed to be selected based on merit not election.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Bimpe29: 12:17pm On Apr 27, 2015
This is sheer rubbish. Politics at that level is pretty nasty.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by docadams: 12:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
What the heck? This is good only if there is an electoral act for it. Such act must exclude all kids of active PDP members. Imagine the outcome of elections involving children of FFK, Okukpe, Olise Metu, and Fayose in the same school!
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by oyetunder(m): 12:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
Those kids are already voting at home when it comes to noodles, sweet and milk brands. They know which they preferred between Jam and butter. Yes, they are always voting for the best eateries, decoder channels... It is all right, as long as the schools are not using it to extort money from the parents. All we should fear in the near future is parental involvements. Soon, parents may start to exchange blows and bullets within schools premises!!! Hmmm.

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by achinaboy(m): 12:30pm On Apr 27, 2015
vote for pee pee pant,for a love-vendor

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Tcrown01(m): 12:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pebcak:

Why do you think is wrong?

C'mon bro, its wrong
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by nairalife2013(m): 12:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
Jackeeh:

I get you. As a parent, I'm obligated to teach my kids sex education. Am I also to encourage them to be sexually active from such tender age? Heck no. I teach them from birth and when they come of age, they can put to practice what they learned from me. Same logic applies to nursery politics.
then itz wrong to teach junior ones science, since they wouldnt fly aircraft at that age. This is part of africanism- the narrow mindset that brings us to our knees. Any thing worth learning is worth learning on time. Yur opinion on sex education is unacceptable pls, must they practice it before u teach them d dos and donts?
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Rick9(m): 12:59pm On Apr 27, 2015
Which political party ?
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by dabossman(m): 1:30pm On Apr 27, 2015
curiouses:

I think primary school is way too early to introduce kids to electoral system. Secondary school is reasonable enough, at least they'd have learnt about civics to guide them through the process.

I beg to differ. I learnt civics in primary school back in the 80's. Most of the basic things I know about being a responsible citizen, I learnt in primary school. Simple things like not littering the environment, queuing, using zebra crossings, traffic lights, respect for elders, the spirit of good sportsmanship, having respect for national symbols like the national flag and the coat of arms etc. Till today, most of those ideals have not deserted me. I still find it hard to do otherwise from what I learnt and I'm shocked when I see other Nigerians break rules with such impunity.

Now, teaching kids the principles of democracy at primary school level I believe will help to develop more democratically inclined adults later in life. It will help to teach them how to exercise healthy competition, sportsmanship, respecting the rights of others and most of all to understand how government works and how it affects their lives.

We tried this once when I was in secondary school, and it was fun. All of a sudden seniors who were wicked found out how important juniors were when they started canvassing for our votes. A lot of them got to discover that to win their fellow students votes they had to be sound academically, they had to treat their fellow students right irrespective of age, class or whatever. That is a valuable lesson young people need to learn. Sadly, our teachers scuttled the process after one session.

3 Likes

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by dabossman(m): 1:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
Jackeeh:

It should be by selection of those who merit it. Not politically via an election. That's my point.

And who decides who merits what? The Headmaster or Principal? Teachers? And what criteria is used to judge merit? Academics and good behaviour only? If there are 10 prefect slots and there are 30 brilliant students, say across 6 arms in SS3 (Grade12) who determines who is entitled to be a prefect and what criteria will disqualify one from the other?

We need to realize that scoring all A's while good does not necessarily bestow leadership qualities on a pupil. Besides, selection only tends to give a sense of entitlement, I'm brilliant, so I'm entitled to become a prefect. That works in primary and secondary school, then the guy gets to university and discovers that being brilliant won't make him SUG President. He now realizes that he needs social skills. He needs to know how to relate with people. The poor guy who only knows how to lock himself up in the room suddenly realizes that he has to interact and solve other peoples problems on campus.

And we wonder why very few intellectuals run for public office in Nigeria? Education must be balanced.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by dabossman(m): 2:14pm On Apr 27, 2015
Diplenty:
I think Primary school is way too early.I clearly remember that we had this in secondary school btw (1991-93, JOGS) & it had its own consequences. People who were thought to be natural leaders lost out to popularity contests. I remember a particular year when a tough guy we all thought was ideal for labour prefect lost at the polls because his opponent was a jovial bow-legged guy , who all considered to be malleable. Eventually the school had to annul the election results & impose prefects from the contestants

From following year, you will pick a nomination form & the teachers do the voting

UP JOGS. I was in the school at that time, but in my opinion it was a good step in the right direction. Definitely, the process can't be perfect, but that is also part of the learning process. Eventually, as students we would have learnt not to vote based on sentiments or just mere popularity. Rather than scrap the process the school could have introduced us to things like referendums and impeachment processes to remove a prefect who isn't performing. We would have learnt a lot about democratic principles in the process. You will agree that there were also prefects selected or voted in by teachers who were incompetent.

It is sad that today in Nigeria, most adults don't even know simple things about how government works in a democracy. That's why you will see people who think the President or Governor has absolute power. Even legislators don't know what they are doing. We need to teach the next generation right.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2015
Jackeeh:

It's wrong because he's not 18 yet. This should begin in secondary institutions.

he's not 18 sure but the election process is for people in his age range so I believe age should not be a factor
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

God bless you. A whole lot of people with closed mentality. How do we train the younger ones if we don't imbibe it in them? I over support am sef!

people should be more open minded to things like this my opinion
If my kid want to contest for an election in school i will surely support him/her

1 Like

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
gragraboy:

Oyibo system and our own different o....their minds are more enlightened than ours. I sugest the schools should appoint these post let the children learn responsibility first.

But bro the system we use is oyinbo system
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
adenine02:

A class or school president is different from prefectship post
Wen I was in secondary school many year back we once did election for student representative buh prefects were selected based on merit only
So student rep is ok buh prefectship post to me wrong

school president and head boy/girl is the same thing i believe its just use or words

just like and american mayor is the same post as a nigerian governor
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tcrown01:

C'mon bro, its wrong

if its wrong there should be a reason now
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by gragraboy: 2:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pebcak:

But bro the system we use is oyinbo system
That is why we are having challenges till today.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 2:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
gragraboy:

That is why we are having challenges till today.

the challenges we are having is because our system is a modified oyinbo system i will give you few examples here

an elected official commits a crime but he will play the immunity card and will not be made to face the law it is only in Nigeria that we have that
you keep your money safely in the bank one idi0t steals it and the bank is aware and will not refund your money its only in nigeria
you ll pay for service you will not get value for your money and service provider will still be disrespecting you
bro the list is endless

definitely these are oyinbo system we are using but we have modified it to suit or selfish need and thats why we are facing challenges

if we copy a know working system in nigeria tit-for-tat no modification no exception i bet there wont be challenges
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Sattors(m): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2015
How much did that MD school pay for the advert
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by domido(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2015
Even primary school pupils want Change.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by ibrocool(m): 10:38pm On Apr 27, 2015
This is not right. Children are meant to play and love one another. Having election can make them develop hatred and will affect their reasoning.
Remember, when children are not in happy mood, they are less likely to learn in classroom when the teacher is teaching them.
Having election in senior secondary school is fairly ok.
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by nairalife2013(m): 10:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
anonimi:

Where did you get the highlighted from
I wonder o!

1 Like

Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Tcrown01(m): 11:32pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pebcak:

if its wrong there should be a reason now

What do you think those children will be exposed to at their age? I'm sure those kids will have no spirit of sportsmanship, exposing such kids to rivalry at their age will cause nothing but hatred
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Ichiebullion(m): 11:49pm On Apr 27, 2015
My primary sch....
Re: Primary School Set To Hold Election Among Pupils (Photo) by Pebcak: 1:15am On Apr 28, 2015
Tcrown01:

What do you think those children will be exposed to at their age? I'm sure those kids will have no spirit of sportsmanship, exposing such kids to rivalry at their age will cause nothing but hatred

that is what they are supposed to learn at that age that politics is a call to serve and not do or die affair and that will stop GODFATHERISM i can be a nice kid in school to be a prefect i can work my way up with teachers be the perfect guy and will end up being the Head boy but an election will have the kids vote who they like they must have seen how the kid interact oh hes nice hes not proud he is always neat..... Not just the principal will be the GODFATHER which is what we suffer in todays politics.

I believe the kid will be exposed to a lot we started learning social studies in school now, learn the 3 arms of govt so why can they put it in practice at that age if its in the syllabus/curriculum then it means they are expected to have a knowledge of it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help Lost My Gce Examination Number / Baby Delivered In Moremi Hall Toilet, OAU Clocks Four Today / Adènipèkun Harmony Lies On The Ground For His Mother, As He's Called To Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.