Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

What Every Woman Should Have. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Every Woman Should Have. (1819 Views)

10 Reasons Why A Woman Should Be A Gold Digger / Types Of Friends Essential For Every Woman / What Woman Should Know About Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Every Woman Should Have. by osisi2(f): 1:47am On Feb 03, 2009
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

BY MAYA ANGELOU

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

enough money within her control to move out

and rent a place of her own,

even if she never wants to or needs to,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

something perfect to wear if the employer,

or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a youth she's content to leave behind,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to

retelling it in her old age,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

one friend who always makes her laugh,  and one who lets her cry,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems,

and a recipe for a meal,

that will make her guests feel honored,

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a feeling of control over her destiny,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to fall in love without losing herself,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to quit a job,

break up with a lover,

and confront a friend without;

ruining the friendship,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

when to try harder,  and WHEN TO WALK AWAY,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

that she can't change the length of her calves,

the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

that her childhood may not have been perfect, but its over,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

what she would and wouldn't do for love or more,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to live alone,  even if she doesn't like it,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW, .

whom she can trust,

whom she can't,

and why she shouldn't take it personally,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

where to go,

be it to her best friend's kitchen table,

or a charming inn in the woods,

when her soul needs soothing,

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

what she can and can't accomplish in a day,

a month, and a year,
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by osisi2(f): 1:51am On Feb 03, 2009
What a great poem
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sillyboy(m): 1:56am On Feb 03, 2009
Na you write poem, na u compliment am. . . .(funny).

What's the poem all about sef?. . . .guess you really missed out on whata woman should have. . . . lipsrsealed
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by hackney(m): 5:06am On Feb 03, 2009
Sillyboy u strict oo! abeg no mark my WAEC (or whatever they call it now) because you go just write am one big OFF POINT
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by cvibe: 5:28am On Feb 03, 2009
Poster

Every woman should have a book titled "How to Combat Desperation".
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by ayeesha: 7:59am On Feb 03, 2009
i luv the poem loads!!!! cheesy
cvibe:

Poster

Every woman should have a book titled "How to Combat Desperation".

really? and who said all women are desperate?
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by oziomatv(m): 10:19am On Feb 03, 2009
And every woman should have what it takes to be a woman.
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by ayeesha: 10:29am On Feb 03, 2009
oziomatv:

And every woman should have what it takes to be a woman.

like?
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 03, 2009
Maya Angelou, sebi she be one of those pple wey dey lick oprah yansh.

there's nothing in the poem that stands out for me.
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Chizzyy: 3:35pm On Feb 03, 2009
Every woman should posse the spirit of contentment
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by ogazi007(m): 4:36pm On Feb 03, 2009
u should all have the wisdom to fight indeciveness.
every woman bakar and front view must dey kampe(massive), no time
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by vodka(f): 5:12pm On Feb 03, 2009
@ hackney extremely funny profile picture grin

lovely poem, guess not so many women know this
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sistawoman: 5:26pm On Feb 03, 2009
I am sure the Nigerian men on the board will have a problem with this poem. They believe their women should be barefoot and in the kitchen, that they should not have a brain of their own and all options they have should be given to them by their husbands. Any money or things they need they should beg their husbands for and should never be independent enough to stand on their own and leave them when the Bleep up.

The poem is very true and I have been teaching my daughters this very thing. A woman can be both independent and dependant on her man. I woman can be both strong and weak. A woman can stand on her own and still lean on her husband.
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by DaPhoenix(f): 5:51pm On Feb 03, 2009
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Ben13: 6:06pm On Feb 03, 2009
are these the women tongue
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by bluespice(f): 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2009
ben wat do u mean? undecided
n i agree with the post
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by goodass(m): 6:12pm On Feb 03, 2009
sistawoman:

I am sure the Nigerian men on the board will have a problem with this poem.
et tu, sistawoman? generalizing?
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Moyola(f): 6:14pm On Feb 03, 2009
sistawoman:

A woman can be both independent and dependant on her man. I woman can be both strong and weak. A woman can stand on her own and still lean on her husband.

Yeah!!
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sistawoman: 6:16pm On Feb 03, 2009
goodass:

et tu, sistawoman? generalizing?

Ok lets change that to "I am sure MOST of the men"
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by goodass(m): 6:24pm On Feb 03, 2009
sistawoman:

Ok lets change that to "I am sure MOST of the men"
n y wld most men av problem wt wat a woman shld av? they feel threatened or wat?
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sistawoman: 6:29pm On Feb 03, 2009
goodass:

n y wld most men av problem wt wat a woman shld av? they feel threatened or wat?

Come on now you know that woman that thinks/acts like the above is a threat to any God fearing Nigerian male. You know that most want to keep thier women under thier thumbs so that they can cheat and run around with women knowing thier woman is at home tending to the house, children and his meal.

If all Nigerian women in Nigeria felt like/acted like the above men would would call them witches and burn them at the stake. The Nigerian men would loose thier dam minds.

**not all but most**
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by bluespice(f): 6:33pm On Feb 03, 2009
true talk sistawoman
i over heard a nigerian buffoon all but yell today it was looking for 'parolez'
the thing was laughing about its last escapade with a minor
claiming it was angry that no new 'catch' for it
mind u this almighty fool has a girlfriend
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by goodass(m): 6:44pm On Feb 03, 2009
@ blues & sista
most of d 'must-haves' av nofin 2 do wt posin any threat 2 any man. check again pls.
d 1st point abt lady avin enof money 4 hersef is cool. even in situation wia a couple operates joint purse, d lady shld av somfin 4 hersef. or na by compulsion to bring all d income? nowadays i tink ladies shld b wiser o, u can neva tell.

all 'must-haves' r personal 2d lady: decision, attitude, emotional, job, past, fashion etc
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sistawoman: 6:56pm On Feb 03, 2009
A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

enough money within her control to move out

and rent a place of her own,

even if she never wants to or needs to,

If she has this she will never put up with shit and just swallow it because she cant afford to provide for her family w/o him. Thus taking the financial hold the husband has on her off. If he knows she can step at any point he will watch what he does. Most Nigerian men cheat at will and could care less if their wife knows because he knows she cant support herself and children and would never dream of leaving.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ,

a feeling of control over her destiny,

Again if a woman feels this way she wont stay in a marriage of dishonesty and cheating. She will have enough self-esteem to step when he misbehaves.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to fall in love without losing herself,

If women remembered this they would not loose themselves in their marriages and therefore feel lost when the man cheats.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to quit a job,

break up with a lover,

and confront a friend without;

ruining the friendship,

How many women know how to do this? Again not putting up with his shit. How many women do you know that walk around on eggshells so as to not "insult" thier husbands regarding thier affairs?

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

when to try harder, and WHEN TO WALK AWAY,

Need I say more?

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

what she would and wouldn't do for love or more,

Need I say more?

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW,

how to live alone, even if she doesn't like it,

Need I say more?
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by goodass(m): 7:20pm On Feb 03, 2009
If she has this she will never put up with shit and just swallow it because she cant afford to provide for her family w/o him. Thus taking the financial hold the husband has on her off. If he knows she can step at any point he will watch what he does. Most Nigerian men cheat at will and could care less if their wife knows because he knows she cant support herself and children and would never dream of leaving.
so poverty makes ladies stomach cheatin guyz? is he takin over her job as well?
and i cant cheat on you cos u got money?
any guy whu tinks he can cheat cos of financial hold is dumb. nofin stops d lady frm walkin away.

Again if a woman feels this way she wont stay in a marriage of dishonesty and cheating. She will have enough self-esteem to step when he misbehaves
do guyz take away d lady's self-esteem or wat? if d lady has got no self esteem, itz her cup of tea and not any man's. she nids that stuff in every aspect of her life.

If women remembered this they would not loose themselves in their marriages and therefore feel lost when the man cheats.
fallin in luv must b done wisely (4 both parties) jus like any other decision one makes in life. i think datz d point of ds must-have and not because of cheating.
feelings r there yes, bt b realistic b4 fallin head-over-heels in luv

How many women know how to do this? Again not putting up with his shit. How many women do you know that walk around on eggshells so as to not "insult" thier husbands regarding thier affairs?
Need I say more?

is everyth tied to 'affairs'? not in ds age wil any man hold yu down. wen she can no longer tolerate wareva , wat stops her frm takin a walk. d court is there if she so wills. if she refuses to quit its up to her not d man. nobodi can shakara anybody again o.

datz d essence of d OP: u r responsible 4 ur life, so no xcuse 4 not been who u wanna b!
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by sistawoman: 7:29pm On Feb 03, 2009
You then belong to the not most group.

I have read countless times here that women in Nigeria are held under thier husbands thumb because of finances. That they swollow and take it all because they cant make the money he makes, they cant support thier families w/o him and that they are not worth thier weight in gold if they dont stay and fight for thier husbands after he cheats. When the catch him cheating they should look to see where they are lacking and pray.

That my dear is utter bullshit. No daughter of mine will ever be taught that her self-esteem is to be sacroficed to please/keep her man. No daughter of mine will be kept in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant unless that is her choice. No daughter of mine will not learn the lesson of having your own cash that hubby knows nothing about stashed away.

So when I say "most men" here would be offended if thier woman lived by the above I mean those men w/o morals or at least a different set of morals then they want thier wives to live by. It is almost as if Nigerian men have this seperate book of laws for thier behavior vs thier wifes behavior.

JMO
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by goodass(m): 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
abt d finances stuff. itz true 4 those women who mayb marryd d guy cos of greed n neva bother 2 get a source of living. evn among d older generation whu are not so privilege 2 earn fat salaries, women who know their worth wil choose 2 leave d guy, fend 4 themselves n their kids. bt fear of d unknown or low self-esteem make others stay put.

Mr Sistawoman wil tel u more, i'm sure.
ows he and my firneds? n ows work too? smiley
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by hotstuff06(f): 8:52pm On Feb 03, 2009
sistawoman:

You then belong to the not most group.

I[b] have read countless times here that women in Nigeria are held under thier husbands thumb because of finances. That they swollow and take it all because they cant make the money he makes, they cant support thier families w/o him and that they are not worth thier weight in gold if they dont stay and fight for thier husbands after he cheats. When the catch him cheating they should look to see where they are lacking and pray.[/b]
That my dear is utter bullshit. No daughter of mine will ever be taught that her self-esteem is to be sacroficed to please/keep her man. No daughter of mine will be kept in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant unless that is her choice. No daughter of mine will not learn the lesson of having your own cash that hubby knows nothing about stashed away.

So when I say "most men" here would be offended if thier woman lived by the above I mean those men w/o morals or at least a different set of morals then they want thier wives to live by. It is almost as if Nigerian men have this seperate book of laws for thier behavior vs thier wifes behavior.

JMO

Sistawoman, you heard right,

I hate to say this but my dad and maternal grandfather were two of those men. I always wondered why my mum never left my dad while I was young. My mum explained to me a later on how she had to endure the mental, physical and emotional abuse and cheating mainly because of financial reasons. She said she did not even know where to begin to work cos she never even worked with her degree ever. She stayed because she did not have any family support and could not raise 5 children on her own, I vowed never ever to put myself in that position ever. I told my hubby this WHILE we were dating and reminded him again when he proposed to me. I intend to work until i decide to retire. All 3 of my sisters have also followed my path and even though we pray that divorce never comes up in our marriage, we are all ready just in case. Abuse is a no tolerance area and infedelity is not an option either. We abosulutely refuse to die or languish over any man. We all trully respect our husbands but we also hold our own.

I know my hubby is not like my father but I did make my intentions, dreams and goals to him JUST IN CASE HE DECIDED TO CHANGE HIS MIND. We are in the US but plan to settle back in Nigeria soon, he knows for sure that regardless of how much money I make, I still respect him as the head of the household but I have to have mine too. Marriage is not a certainty that he cannot pack his bags one day and leave or start the abuse crap hence why we also agreed that we have ONLY 3 CHILDREN, cos I know if anything happens, with the help of God and my own money, i CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM. I am not going to stand around and let another generation of my family be abused my men , Never. I plan to keep the line of strong women as I will also advice by own daughter (If God blesses me with one).
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by osisi2(f): 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2009
Na you write poem, na u compliment am. . . .(funny).

What's the poem all about sef?. . . .guess you really missed out on whata woman should have. . . .

sillyboy.
my name's not maya angelou
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Busybody2(f): 9:34pm On Feb 03, 2009
Sistawoman, I am with goodass on this one, the Naija women you are talking about are our parent's generation, those in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

No one puts up with BS any longer, divorce/seperation amongst Nigerians in diaspora is equally as rife nowadays.[b][/b] The reason the wives in Nigeria tend to stick around for longer is because families are usually called to come and mediate at the slightest hiccup.
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 03, 2009
I love this lil piece of poetry.

A woman should have her own mind, and should be the nucleus of it at all times
Re: What Every Woman Should Have. by Busybody2(f): 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2009
HeatFusion:

I love this lil piece of poetry.

A woman should have her own mind, and should be the nucleus of it at all times

I have to agree with you on this too, [size=1pt]most importantly because you have NL men eating out of the palm of your hands[/size] wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Consider Romantic? / Help Me ! / Stubborn Spouse Can U Marry Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.