Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! (58185 Views)

Xenophobia: We Should Not Be Ungrateful To Those That Helped Us ― Mbeki / The 10 Most Corrupt Countries In The World: Nigeria Not On The List! / Rare Photos: Remembering Apartheid In South Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by onatisi(m): 5:10pm On Apr 29, 2015
Honestly I have no bitterness towards sa for this ,they have the right to recognise and not to recognise anybody,it is their country. But what is annoying is the attitude of nigerians , no matter the humiliation ,rape ,destruction and damage these south africans inflict on nigerians living there ,you still find many nigerians queuing up in the hot sun in lagos wanting to get their visas , people still want to go there and clean their toilets and sweep their floors . It is these set of nigerians who are really disgusting and annoying.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Fourwinds: 5:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
BlackTechnology:
Thank God

At least our foolishness has being exposed

Only an unwise person shines outside to the detriment of his close people grin
good words from u
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by LeSudAfricaine: 5:12pm On Apr 29, 2015
vislabraye:

It's jealousy.
May be we should do awqy with South African companies.
Let us see who will lose more.
Our leaderw sef.
Sorry bro we are not jealous of your marvelous country! It's an overblown myth! You don't find"Nigeria this, Nigeria that" on South African media or forums, however here or NL it"s a different story

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by SirShymexx: 5:13pm On Apr 29, 2015
50calibre:

Lol you need to re-check your sources, Nigeria was not just a proactive supporter but a major financier of the anti-apartheid movement. It granted asylums to many black South Africans involved in the struggle, including Mandela.

The guy who mentioned the nationalisation of BP to AP, did so to highlight part of the diplomatic tit-for-tat which ensued after Nigeria pulled out of the commonwealth games in protest against the Thatcher administration's open support of the apartheid regime.

Another retaliatory move on the part of Britain was imposing visa requirements on Nigerians before they could enter Britain... Which was previously not the case. Nigerians used to be able to enter into Britain visa-free till this saga.

All these are verifiable information, they're out there.

Don't you find it ironical that Britain's name was included in that list when the British prime minister at the height of the anti-apartheid struggle (Margaret Thatcher) famously branded Mandela a terrorist?

I'm not always one to support Nigerians and their inflated sense on greatness, but this is a clear move by South Africa to spite Nigeria and re-write their own version of history.

Watch this video, you get a clearer perspective. This was Mandela's first official visit after he left prison.

Brev, I hear that. Granting asylum on the pages of newspapers is one thing - giving it out to people is another thing. I believe the names of all the important folks in ANC, Steve Bantu Biko's black consciousness group et al are out there for folks to search. How many of them were granted asylum in Nigeria? How many those who were trained in guerrilla warfare were trained in Nigeria? There's no academic sources for it, and you can provide it, if you have any. All the names I know were never granted asylum in Nigeria. I believe Mandela was being PC as possible for cordial relationship - and he wasn't even out there at the peak of the struggle. He was in prison and was privy to little or nothing.

The nationalisation of BP was made about apartheid politically - but I doubt that was actually the reason why it was nationalised. Apartheid was just an excuse for convenience. The whole thing was more complicated albeit vague Check the academic source attached to this post below (the highlighted bit).

The imposition of visa requirements on Nigeria by Margaret Thatcher had absolutely nothing to do with tit-for-tat or apartheid. The UK economy was in shambles and they needed to reduce/curb immigration, and that coincided with a period when a lot of the Nigerian middle class were leaving the country en masse to the UK. The brain drain period started then.

We as Nigerians need to look at things critically before always pointing fingers. The world doesn't revolve around Nigeria alone - neither does Africa. Let our actions judge who who are and not our vacuous and overblown sense of arrogance. That's how to maintain cordial relationship with everyone based on mutual respect.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Samirana360(m): 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
vislabraye:

It's jealousy.M
May be we should do awqy with South African companies.
Let us see who will lose more.
Our leaderw sef.
Well u ar right buh doin away wit their companies here in nigeria might not help coz of d symbiotic relationship we already hav wit them...they gain 4rm us and we gain 4rm them.....so dat will coz more conflicts

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by breakeven: 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
I am not surprised. The government we had then were not accountable so nobody took them serious. They were doing father Christmas to south Africa. In diplomacy you don't give without a guarantee that you will receive.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by BlissB(f): 5:15pm On Apr 29, 2015
I weep for Nigeria!....i hope she comes back to her senses someday...a show of JEALOUSY of the HIGHEST ORDER

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
All these talks about S.A don tire me sha,i just dey pray say Buhari go rugged in ruling naija
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 989900: 5:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
Give it time, even Liberia would do us same. sad
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Fourwinds: 5:20pm On Apr 29, 2015
Samirana360:
I knw nigeria and south africa ar draggin 4 africa power...who will rule d continent
?
South africa ar nt happy dat nigeria is called giant of africa dat's y they so hate nigeria..
Buh d truth remains dat

We ar giant of africa. Our only problem is corruption
are u not aahame to call Nigeria giant of Africa.?? what can Nigeria do to other Africa countries. take USA., Britain etc dey imposed saction on Russia. if America cough China doesn't catch cold. dat word GIANT should be use elsewhere
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by tunnary(m): 5:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
Our foolish leaders pretending to be good outside and are bad inside. God punishe them all
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by bigtt76(f): 5:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
What's the big deal naaa ....the category Nigeria supported them in is not listed ....Talk Talk Little or No Action grin and maybe 'Corrupt Embezzlement of Funds' ...we all know during that period we were still running military government of no control in spending grin. Sometimes its good to be truthful to ourselves naaa than for people to tell us the truth.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by edi287: 5:25pm On Apr 29, 2015
onatisi:
Honestly I have no bitterness towards sa for this ,they have the right to recognise and not to recognise anybody,it is their country. But what is annoying is the attitude of nigerians , no matter the humiliation ,rape ,destruction and damage these south africans inflict on nigerians living there ,you still find many nigerians queuing up in the hot sun in lagos wanting to get their visas , people still want to go there and clean their toilets and sweep their floors . It is these set of nigerians who are really disgusting and annoying.
Exactly bro...it's the dumb misinformed ones that got lied to that "you kick gold on the streets of Johannesburg" that go and disgrace themselves there. Then again, you can't blame them...blame our past leaders for putting naija in the state that its in at the moment.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by JiggamanGh: 5:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
Kenai:
The final nail on the coffin of Nigeria's Sense of entitlement?
Twitter user @Mokhathi recently paid a visit to his native Freedom Park in South Africa, a park/museum created in honor of the Black Liberation struggle and the eventual abolishment of Apartheid. And inside the museum rests a board/Plaque recognizing and appreciating the various countries that came to their aid in numerous fields during those trying times.

But what I found most interesting is the fact that Nigeria wasn't for once mentioned on that list.
Take a look and examine the list yourselves:

When you juxtapose this with the numerous stories we've heard about how Nigerian leaders spent billions helping South Africa as well as arm-twisting the Brits by indigenizing their companies, it's even more weird. Even Ghana, Tanzania, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Lesotho were recognized, but not the self-proclaimed Giant of Africa with its "Big Daddy" complex.

Isn't it funny that, during the decade Nigerian military officers were spending those billions of dollars "helping" far away South Africa, Bayelsa wasn't even on the national grid?
Isn't it funny that, during the decade our "leaders" were spending those billions, numerous towns and villages in the Niger Delta had its locals drinking, washing, bathing, swimmig, DEFECATING, cooking and EATING from the same water source?

Isn't it funny that the same country "spending billions" to "liberate" another couldn't even boast of reliable electricity or a functional steel mill to aid its industrial sector?

This is when you begin to ask if the so-called 'Black Emancipation' spree, embarked on by our leaders at that period, was really an honest fight for justice or one big, overbloated ego trip meant to serve their interests and line their pockets. From the oil boom of the 70's which only translated to flashy, nonsensical Jamborees like FESTAC77 and ECOMOG noise, were the 70's and 80's really about exemplary Leadership or just self-serving idiocy?

As a final shot, I'd advise my fellow Nigerians (especially our leaders) to shun this "pan African" foolishines and FOCUS on just serving the people who elected them, not some strangers hundreds of miles away!

Pan-Africanism is a FARCE. Has always been so; will always be so.

PS: E really pain this my guy! grin

Seems nigeria and South Africa are heading towards political standoff. This is not good news for africa with it's no biggest economies fighting.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by simplemach(m): 5:29pm On Apr 29, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Well, the way you spell "Ingrates" it's clear you don't even know the meaning, just join the chorus hey!
sanu..., fault finder, professor of english language.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 989900: 5:31pm On Apr 29, 2015
From the horse's mouth:
“You know I am not very happy with Nigeria. I have made that very clear on many occasions.
Yes, Nigeria stood by us more than any nation, but you let yourselves down, and Africa and the black race very badly. Your leaders have no respect for their people. They believe that their personal interests are the interests of the people. They take people’s resources and turn it into personal wealth. There is a level of poverty in Nigeria that should be unacceptable. I cannot understand why Nigerians are not more angry than they are.

“What do young Nigerians think about your leaders and their country and Africa? Do you teach them history? Do you have lessons on how your past leaders stood by us and gave us large amounts of money? You know I hear from Angolans and Mozambicans and Zimbabweans how your people opened their hearts and their homes to them. I was in prison then, but we know how your leaders punished western companies who supported apartheid.

“What about the corruption and the crimes? Your elections are like wars. Now, we hear that you cannot be president in Nigeria unless you are Muslim or Christian. Some people tell me your country may break up. Please don’t let it happen.
“Let me tell you what I think you need to do. You should encourage leaders to emerge who will not confuse public office with sources of making personal wealth. Corrupt people do not make good leaders. Then you have to spend a lot of your resources for education.
“Educate children of the poor, so that they can get out of poverty. Poverty does not breed confidence. Only confident people can bring changes. Poor, uneducated people can also bring change, but it will be hijacked by the educated and the wealthy…give young Nigerians good education. Teach them the value of hard work and sacrifice, and discourage them from crimes which are destroying your image as a good people.”

--Mandela.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 989900: 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Brev, I hear that. Granting asylum on the pages of newspapers is one thing - giving it out to people is another thing. I believe the names of all the important folks in ANC, Steve Bantu Biko's black consciousness group et al are out there for folks to search. How many of them were granted asylum in Nigeria? How many those who were trained in guerrilla warfare were trained in Nigeria? There's no academic sources for it, and you can provide it, if you have any. All the names I know were never granted asylum in Nigeria. I believe Mandela was being PC as possible for cordial relationship - and he wasn't even out there at the peak of the struggle. He was in prison and was privy to little or nothing.

The nationalisation of BP was made about apartheid politically - but I doubt that was actually the reason why it was nationalised. Apartheid was just an excuse for convenience. The whole thing was more complicated albeit vague Check the academic source attached to this post below (the highlighted bit).

The imposition of visa requirements on Nigeria by Margaret Thatcher had absolutely nothing to do with tit-for-tat or apartheid. The UK economy was in shambles and they needed to reduce/curb immigration, and that coincided with a period when a lot of the Nigerian middle class were leaving the country en masse to the UK. The brain drain period started then.

We as Nigerians need to look at things critically before always pointing fingers. The world doesn't revolve around Nigeria alone - neither does Africa. Let our actions judge who who are and not our vacuous and overblown sense of arrogance. That's how to maintain cordial relationship with everyone based on mutual respect.

Sit down.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Samirana360(m): 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
Fourwinds:
are u not aahame to call Nigeria giant of Africa.?? what can Nigeria do to other Africa countries. take USA., Britain etc dey imposed saction on Russia. if America cough China doesn't catch cold. dat word GIANT should be use elsewhere
am not ashame 2 call nigeria d giant of africa coz dat's what we ar....d fact dat corruption is everywhere does nt mean we ar nt giant of africa....check our economy and judge rightly...

Or if u ar nt a nigeria, go and fall inside lagoon

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by ooshinibos: 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ungrateful south Africans ...
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by SirShymexx: 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
989900:
From the horse's mouth:
“You know I am not very happy with Nigeria. I have made that very clear on many occasions.
Yes, Nigeria stood by us more than any nation, but you let yourselves down, and Africa and the black race very badly. Your leaders have no respect for their people. They believe that their personal interests are the interests of the people. They take people’s resources and turn it into personal wealth. There is a level of poverty in Nigeria that should be unacceptable. I cannot understand why Nigerians are not more angry than they are.

“What do young Nigerians think about your leaders and their country and Africa? Do you teach them history? Do you have lessons on how your past leaders stood by us and gave us large amounts of money? You know I hear from Angolans and Mozambicans and Zimbabweans how your people opened their hearts and their homes to them. I was in prison then, but we know how your leaders punished western companies who supported apartheid.

“What about the corruption and the crimes? Your elections are like wars. Now, we hear that you cannot be president in Nigeria unless you are Muslim or Christian. Some people tell me your country may break up. Please don’t let it happen.
“Let me tell you what I think you need to do. You should encourage leaders to emerge who will not confuse public office with sources of making personal wealth. Corrupt people do not make good leaders. Then you have to spend a lot of your resources for education.
“Educate children of the poor, so that they can get out of poverty. Poverty does not breed confidence. Only confident people can bring changes. Poor, uneducated people can also bring change, but it will be hijacked by the educated and the wealthy…give young Nigerians good education. Teach them the value of hard work and sacrifice, and discourage them from crimes which are destroying your image as a good people.”

--Mandela.

If you had the whole sentence - you'd understand that Mandela was just being PC, with the first phrase - while chastising Nigeria in the rest. He was in prison, locked away from everything on an Island. So he didn't know much about what happened at the peak of it.

As a Nigerian, you ought to feel ashamed, when you start opening every book - and you keep seeing Nigeria's name omitted from the real players, despite having resources needed to have done a lot. Hence anything folks ask me who I think was the best Nigerian leader ever - I'll always tout Murtala Muhammed for the speech he gave at the OAU before he was assassinated.

Nigeria let everyone down during that era, and that's the honest truth.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 29, 2015
Nigerians should learn to start turning our backs on most of these so called fellow African countries, it's apparent they're mostly usually filled with ungrateful imbeciles. Smh
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by OXYGEN011: 5:44pm On Apr 29, 2015
nigerians like celebrating mediocrity. Your leaders are always lying to you folks yet you will hear /see nigerians celebrating it.SOO FUNNY

6 Likes

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by SirShymexx: 5:44pm On Apr 29, 2015
milychocs:

The very best and first thing to have done would have been to port to ANY other network
I cannot believe you had to wait till now...to break your sim....just port
It may not amount to much, it may even be foolhardy..but you would have protested, somewhat

That is how other countries were fighting Indonesia for their now executed drug criminals -nationals
...next to nothing from our end
And yes...they were guilty, but so were the others from other countries.
We need to learn to stand up for what we feel is better, or right

I am getting preachy, will stop here
Sorry for climbing all over you

You have what it takes to be astute and really knowledgeable, with a mind that can decipher a lot of things. But you're just too emotional and that obfuscate what should have been an enviable potential. Perhaps, it has to do with ultra-nationalism - who knows?

Campaigning to deny yourself something, which might be the best value you can get, and that also contributes to the well-being of those you're trying to protest for/with, is always counter-productive. It's synonymous with how we black folks in diaspora always burn down our neighbourhoods in protest against the racist white establishment. What happens when the smoke clears? We go back to the same burnt down neighbourhood. The joke is on you.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2015
989900:

Sit down.

While should he sit down when he is making a valid point?

We really do love to catch feelings over things that are non-issue.

Financial support, arms, etc It is not in record that Nigeria provided any for South Africa during its apartheid so why should Nigeria be mentioned in the plaque?

You want them to include Nigeria falsely in the list or what?
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by bakynes(m): 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2015
989900:
From the horse's mouth:

--Mandela.
Sir Shymexx and the South African this is proof for you that Nigeria contributed immensely to the freedom of Black South Africans during the Aparthied regime. This confirms the hate South Africans have towards us Case closed

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by OXYGEN011: 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2015
One thing you folks should know is,NO COUNTRY IN AFRICA recognize nigeria to be '"giant". That self proclaimed "GIANT "is only recognized by nigerians.You people should keep on deluding yourselves. Funny people, funny country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by bakynes(m): 5:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

If you had the whole sentence - you'd understand that Mandela was just being PC, with the first phrase - while chastising Nigeria in the rest. He was in prison, locked away from everything on an Island. So he didn't know much about what happened at the peak of it.

As a Nigerian, you ought to feel ashamed, when you start opening every book - and you keep seeing Nigeria's name omitted from the real players, despite having resources needed to have done a lot. Hence anything folks ask me who I think was the best Nigerian leader ever - I'll always tout Murtala Muhammed for the speech he gave at the OAU before he was assassinated.

Nigeria let everyone down during that era, and that's the honest truth.
My friend what is your problem? can't u read and comprehend Mandela said it himself he heard from his people outside after he left prison about the contributions of Nigeria to the struggle of his people during the Aparthied regime. Don't let me insult you pls.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by iamord(m): 5:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

so true. While we all know Nigeria deserves to be in that list. The above point is one of the things Nigerians don't seem to understand.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
evegran:
Nigerians should learn to start turning our backs on most of these so called fellow African countries, it's apparent they're mostly usually filled with ungrateful imbeciles. Smh

Turn your back on your corrupt leaders and you would be better off in 10 years. Thats the more appropraite bargain. Then with transparency you would know what is what and which is which.

The role you did not play for South Africa cannot be included in that plaque just because you are Nigeria and filled with 150 million emotional people.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by LeSudAfricaine: 5:55pm On Apr 29, 2015
kodded:

if you are a nigerian you better act like one and quite acting like a cunt !...........but if you are from south africa then am telling you to stay the fvck out of this forum........you ugly hiv and aids xenophobic are not welcome here......because this forum belong to nigeria and not yee ugly cunt...... So stay clear..... angry angry angry angry angry

......Thanks smiley
Firstly, you reason like a child, secondly, if it's in the internet, it ceases to be Nigerian, INTER +NETWORK =INTERNET, get it dumbo? And Oh, you don't this forum, so you can go to hell!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Americans Blast Zelensky For Rejecting Elon Musk's Peace Deal With Russia (Pics) / Russia’s New Mega-missile Stuns The Globe / Putin Places Sergey Beseda Under House Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.