Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... (1615 Views)

Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? / Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by klark3: 9:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
The Bible is absolutely clear that we are to worship God alone. The only instances of anyone other than God receiving worship in the Bible are false gods, which are Satan and his demons. All followers of the Lord God refuse worship. Peter and the apostles refused to be worshipped (Acts 10:25-26; 14:13-14). The holy angels refuse to be worshipped (Revelation 19:10; 22:9). The response is always the same, "Worship God!"

Roman Catholics attempt to "bypass" these clear Scriptural principles by claiming they do not “worship” Mary, but rather that they only "venerate" Mary. Using a different word does not change the essence of what is being done. A definition of "venerate" is "to regard with respect or reverence." Nowhere in the Bible are we told to revere anyone but God alone.

There is nothing wrong with respecting those faithful Christians who have gone before us (see Hebrews chapter 11). There is nothing wrong with honouring Mary as the earthly mother of Jesus. The Bible describes Mary as "highly favoured" by God (Luke 1:28). At the same time, there is no instruction in the Bible to revere those whom have gone to Heaven. We are to follow their example, yes, but worship, revere, or venerate, no!

When forced to admit that they do, in fact, worship Mary, Catholics will claim that they worship God through her, by praising the wonderful creation that God has made. Mary, in their minds, is the most beautiful and wonderful creation of God, and by praising her, they are praising her Creator. For Catholics, this is analogous to directing praise to an artist by praising his sculpture or painting.

The problem with this is that God explicitly commands against worshipping Him through created things.(Deut. 5:7-9). We are not to bow down and worship anything in the form of heaven above or earth below (Exodus 20:4-5). Romans 1:25 could not be more clear, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator — who is forever praised. Amen." Yes, God has created wonderful and amazing things. Yes, Mary was a godly woman who is worthy of our respect. No, we absolutely are not to worship God "vicariously" by praising things (or people) He has created. Doing so is blatant idolatry.

Since Mary had other children, she did not remain ever-virgin. Therefore, the doctrine on her Perpetual Virginity is false, and the Catholic Church is wrong for calling her the Blessed Virgin Mary. Dear brothers and sisters, it's not too hard to see, their favourite goddess is Mary, the mother of Jesus. They try to be politically correct and say things like, "We don't pray to Mary, we just give her homage or ask her to run off and take our prayers to Jesus when He's too busy to hear them." Well, what the heck's the ding dang difference? Even if they aren't in fact praying to Mary, which they are, Jesus is very clear in Luke 4:8 when he says, "You shall do homage to the Lord your God; Him alone shall you adore." In fact, Jesus' mother just got in the way most of the time. In Mark 3:31-35, we learn, "There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he look round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother." It doesn't stop there friends. Mathew 13:55-56. When Jesus visited his home town and all his old neighbours proclaimed, "Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us?"

The terminology is not the issue. Whether the practice is described as "worship" or "veneration," or any other term, the problem is the same. Any time we ascribe something that belongs to God, to someone else, it is idolatry. The Bible nowhere instructs us to revere, pray to, rely on, or "idolize" anyone other than God. We are to worship God alone. Glory, praise, and honour belong to God alone. Only God is worthy to "...receive glory and honour and power..." (Revelation 4:11). God alone is worthy to receive our worship, adoration, and praise (Nehemiah 9:6; Revelation 15:4).

As christians, we should avoid taking part in any customs that are not in agreement with the bible.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
klark3:
The Bible is absolutely clear that we are to worship God alone. The only instances of anyone other than God receiving worship in the Bible are false gods, which are Satan and his demons. All followers of the Lord God refuse worship. Peter and the apostles refused to be worshipped (Acts 10:25-26; 14:13-14). The holy angels refuse to be worshipped (Revelation 19:10; 22:9). The response is always the same, "Worship God!"

Roman Catholics attempt to "bypass" these clear Scriptural principles by claiming they do not “worship” Mary, but rather that they only "venerate" Mary. Using a different word does not change the essence of what is being done. A definition of "venerate" is "to regard with respect or reverence." Nowhere in the Bible are we told to revere anyone but God alone.

There is nothing wrong with respecting those faithful Christians who have gone before us (see Hebrews chapter 11). There is nothing wrong with honouring Mary as the earthly mother of Jesus. The Bible describes Mary as "highly favoured" by God (Luke 1:28). At the same time, there is no instruction in the Bible to revere those whom have gone to Heaven. We are to follow their example, yes, but worship, revere, or venerate, no!

When forced to admit that they do, in fact, worship Mary, Catholics will claim that they worship God through her, by praising the wonderful creation that God has made. Mary, in their minds, is the most beautiful and wonderful creation of God, and by praising her, they are praising her Creator. For Catholics, this is analogous to directing praise to an artist by praising his sculpture or painting.

The problem with this is that God explicitly commands against worshipping Him through created things.(Deut. 5:7-9). We are not to bow down and worship anything in the form of heaven above or earth below (Exodus 20:4-5). Romans 1:25 could not be more clear, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator — who is forever praised. Amen." Yes, God has created wonderful and amazing things. Yes, Mary was a godly woman who is worthy of our respect. No, we absolutely are not to worship God "vicariously" by praising things (or people) He has created. Doing so is blatant idolatry.

Since Mary had other children, she did not remain ever-virgin. Therefore, the doctrine on her Perpetual Virginity is false, and the Catholic Church is wrong for calling her the Blessed Virgin Mary. Dear brothers and sisters, it's not too hard to see, their favourite goddess is Mary, the mother of Jesus. They try to be politically correct and say things like, "We don't pray to Mary, we just give her homage or ask her to run off and take our prayers to Jesus when He's too busy to hear them." Well, what the heck's the ding dang difference? Even if they aren't in fact praying to Mary, which they are, Jesus is very clear in Luke 4:8 when he says, "You shall do homage to the Lord your God; Him alone shall you adore." In fact, Jesus' mother just got in the way most of the time. In Mark 3:31-35, we learn, "There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he look round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother." It doesn't stop there friends. Mathew 13:55-56. When Jesus visited his home town and all his old neighbours proclaimed, "Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us?"

The terminology is not the issue. Whether the practice is described as "worship" or "veneration," or any other term, the problem is the same. Any time we ascribe something that belongs to God, to someone else, it is idolatry. The Bible nowhere instructs us to revere, pray to, rely on, or "idolize" anyone other than God. We are to worship God alone. Glory, praise, and honour belong to God alone. Only God is worthy to "...receive glory and honour and power..." (Revelation 4:11). God alone is worthy to receive our worship, adoration, and praise (Nehemiah 9:6; Revelation 15:4).

As christians, we should avoid taking part in any customs that are not in agreement with the bible.

olodo
they honour Mary not worship

anuofia
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Faremisodeeq(m): 9:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
The problem of religion in this country is that we over-do. Most people dont know most things done they only follow what the reigion leader does. On doing this you abuse it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
they always claim to be honouring Mary and not worship grin

meanwhile, I remember a person once said, 'you cannot get to the father except through me ' .
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by achinaboy(m): 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2015
just worship whom or whatever you want,me and my family is worshiping the living God
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by klark3: 9:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
princeofpeace22:

olodo
they honour Mary not worship

anuofia
Lolzzz... So u're one of them?

U can call it whatever u like.. Counting rosary beads, to bow down or lighting candles before a lifeless statue or portrayal of mary is idolatry, & that to me is worship.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by optimisticmee(m): 10:00pm On Apr 29, 2015
klark3:

ENGLISH IS YOUR PROBLEM
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by nzeobi(m): 10:35pm On Apr 29, 2015
This issue is too sensitive. But whichever I think God is only interested in the purity of our soul unlike those who will tell you their church is the best or the first.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 30, 2015
klark3:

Ah so the bible says we should only respect God? And that respect and worship are the same thing? We surely learn new things everyday! By the way, using your definition of worship, we also worship the holy apostles, matyrs, saints, angels, the holy prophets and patriarchs of the old testament. Here is one way we *worship* angels:
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by tartar9(m): 7:13am On Apr 30, 2015
why do you worship Jesus
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 30, 2015
klark3:

U can call it whatever u like.. Counting rosary beads, to bow down or lighting candles before a lifeless statue or portrayal of mary is idolatry, & that to me is worship.
Here is us Catholics again *worshipping* Mary and the Saints:

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God, the Father of heaven,
God the Son, Redeemer of the
world,
God the Holy Spirit,
Holy Trinity, one God,
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
Holy Mary,
Holy Mother of God,
Holy Virgin of virgins,
St. Michael,
St. Gabriel,
St. Raphael,
All you Holy Angels and
Archangels,
St. John the Baptist,
St. Joseph,
All you Holy Patriarchs and
Prophets,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
St. Peter,
St. Paul,
St. Andrew,
St. James,
St. John,
St. Thomas,
St. James,
St. Philip,
St. Bartholomew,
St. Matthew,
St. Simon,
St. Jude,
St. Matthias,
St. Barnabas,
St. Luke,
St. Mark,
All you holy Apostles and
Evangelists,
All you holy Disciples of the Lord,
All you holy Innocents,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
St. Stephen,
St. Lawrence,
St. Vincent,
Sts. Fabian and Sebastian,
Sts. John and Paul,
Sts. Cosmas and Damian,
All you holy Martyrs,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
St. Sylvester,
St. Gregory,
St. Ambrose,
St. Augustine,
St. Jerome,
St. Martin,
St. Nicholas,
All you holy Bishops and
Confessors,
All you holy Doctors,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
St. Anthony,
St. Benedict,
St. Bernard,
St. Dominic,
St. Francis,
All you holy Priests and Levites,
All you holy Monks and Hermits,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
St. Mary Magdalene,
St. Agatha,
St. Lucy,
St. Agnes,
St. Cecilia,
St. Anastasia,
St. Catherine,
St. Clare,
All you holy Virgins and Widows,
All you holy Saints of God,
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
pray for us.
Lord, be merciful,
From all evil,
From all sin,
From your wrath,
From a sudden and unprovided
death,
From the snares of the devil,
From anger, hatred, and all ill-will,
From the spirit of uncleanness,
From lightning and tempest,
From the scourge of earthquake,
From plague, famine, and war,
From everlasting death,
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
By the mystery of your holy
Incarnation,
By your Coming,
By your Birth,
By your Baptism and holy fasting,
By your Cross and Passion,
By your Death and Burial,
By your holy Resurrection,
By your wonderful Ascension,
By the coming of the Holy Spirit,
On the day of judgment,
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Lord, save your people.
Be merciful to us sinners,
Lord, hear our prayer.
That you will spare us,
That you will pardon us,
That it may please you to bring us
to true
penance,
Guide and protect your holy
Church,
Preserve in holy religion the Pope,
and all
those in holy Orders,
Humble the enemies of holy
Church,
Give peace and unity to the whole
Christian
people,
Bring back to the unity of the
Church all
those who are straying, and bring
all
unbelievers to the light of the
Gospel,
Strengthen and preserve us in
your holy
service,
Raise our minds to desire the
things of
heaven,
Reward all our benefactors with
eternal
blessings,
Deliver our souls from eternal
damnation,
and the souls of our brethren,
relatives,
and benefactors,
Give and preserve the fruits of the
earth,
Grant eternal rest to all the
faithful departed,
That it may please You to hear
and heed
us, Jesus, Son of the Living God,
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lord, hear our prayer.
Lamb of God, who takes away the
sins of
the world,
sins of
the world,
sins of
the world,
Spare us, O Lord!
Graciously hear us, O Lord!
Have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us,
Lord Jesus, hear our prayer.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, graciously hear us
Lord Jesus, hear our prayer.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by klark3: 8:57am On Apr 30, 2015
tartar9:
why do you worship Jesus
See what I mean, comparing jesus with mary... May God forgive u....
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 30, 2015
klark3:

And here is our litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary:

Lord, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven,
Have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the
world,
Have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost,
Have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God,
Have mercy on us.
Holy Mary,
pray for us.
Holy Mother of God,
pray for us.
Holy Virgin of virgins,
pray for us.
Mother of Christ,
pray for us.
Mother of divine grace,
pray for us.
Mother most pure,
pray for us.
Mother most chaste,
pray for us.
Mother inviolate,
pray for us.
Mother undefiled,
pray for us.
Mother most amiable,
pray for us.
Mother most admirable,
pray for us.
Mother of good counsel,
pray for us.
Mother of our Creator,
pray for us.
Mother of our Savior,
pray for us.
Virgin most prudent,
pray for us.
Virgin most venerable,
pray for us.
Virgin most renowned,
pray for us.
Virgin most powerful,
pray for us.
Virgin most merciful,
pray for us.
Virgin most faithful,
pray for us.
Mirror of justice,
pray for us.
Seat of wisdom,
pray for us.
Cause of our joy,
pray for us.
Spiritual vessel,
pray for us.
Vessel of honor,
pray for us.
Singular vessel of devotion,
pray for us.
Mystical rose,
pray for us.
Tower of David,
pray for us.
Tower of ivory,
pray for us.
House of gold,
pray for us.
Ark of the Covenant,
pray for us.
Gate of Heaven,
pray for us.
Morning star,
pray for us.
Health of the sick,
pray for us.
Refuge of sinners,
pray for us.
Comforter of the afflicted,
pray for us.
Help of Christians,
pray for us.
Queen of angels,
pray for us.
Queen of patriarchs,
pray for us.
Queen of prophets,
pray for us.
Queen of apostles,
pray for us.
Queen of martyrs,
pray for us.
Queen of confessors,
pray for us.
Queen of virgins,
pray for us.
Queen of all saints,
pray for us.
Queen conceived without Original
Sin,
pray for us.
Queen assumed into Heaven,
pray for us.
Queen of the most holy Rosary,
pray for us.
Queen of peace,
pray for us.
sins of the world,
Spare us, O Lord.
sins of the world,
Graciously hear us, O Lord.
sins of the world,
Have mercy on us.
Pray for us, O Holy Mother of
God,
That we may be made worthy of
the promises of Christ.
Grant, we beseech Thee, O Lord
God, that we Thy Servants may
enjoy perpetual health of mind
and body and by the glorious
intercession of the Blessed Mary,
ever Virgin, be delivered from
present sorrow and unjoy enternal
happiness. Through Christ Our
Lord. Amen.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by RapLawd(m): 11:00am On Apr 30, 2015
klark3:

I can't read all this balderdash you put down but,I know it's arrant bullshit!!!

I ain't worshipping Mary... say whatever you wanna say... but always ask the right questions before talking trash!!!...

Catholic doctrine is the most revealing and transparent one in the whole world, we have our catechism classes all around the globe, attend one, ask questions, get the answers you want, and believe me, you won't talk this bragadash any more!.

don't you know that most protesters venerates and honours their so called MoG more than Catholics to Mary?

do you know that it's this type of talk that makes some gullible Muslims thinking that Mary is the third in the doctrine of Triun God?.

please stop pushing false assumption against any church of God -say what you know with fact and prove aligned with evidence, not this them say them say... Bros, na them who say sef huh, or is it your hatred aground m against the Catholics that brings about all this agitation and arbagadash.

may Christ through his infinite mercy forgive us all our misdeeds: IN JESUS CHRIST NAME -AMEN.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by RapLawd(m): 11:17am On Apr 30, 2015
klark3:

ask anyone,anybody, anywhere and everywhere,why is always more important than how!

do you quit worshipping God cus pagans do? no because their intentions, focus and aim differs from yours and mine...

you're the giving the worship sense to the obligation -not we Catholic and you will be the one held responsible for having false assumption against the Catholics...

you've asked questioned and we've answered it all giving instances and verses, but you say no to them... believe me...among Catholics, is not all that even pray the rosary... we that do, do so on our own free will... asking for intervention...is their anything different with your pastor giving you lines of prayers with unnecessary fasting?... all we do is ask for help not salvation... your own mother prays to God on your behalf... and if chance be... she dies and made heaven won't quit to ask God's favor on you as a mother...

:the reason we honour her is far greater than how we do it... take it or leave it... im not worshipping Mary and you will be judged for accusing me of such act.
Re: Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong... by optimisticmee(m): 7:13am On May 01, 2015
RapLawd:

ask anyone,anybody, anywhere and everywhere,why is always more important than how!

do you quit worshipping God cus pagans do? no because their intentions, focus and aim differs from yours and mine...

you're the giving the worship sense to the obligation -not we Catholic and you will be the one held responsible for having false assumption against the Catholics...

you've asked questioned and we've answered it all giving instances and verses, but you say no to them... believe me...among Catholics, is not all that even pray the rosary... we that do, do so on our own free will... asking for intervention...is their anything different with your pastor giving you lines of prayers with unnecessary fasting?... all we do is ask for help not salvation... your own mother prays to God on your behalf... and if chance be... she dies and made heaven won't quit to ask God's favor on you as a mother...

:the reason we honour her is far greater than how we do it... take it or leave it... im not worshipping Mary and you will be judged for accusing me of such act.
leave them let th think what they want @ d end heavenly race is a personal race.... I guess they forgot not to judge others. holier than thou idiots.....

(1) (Reply)

Deliverance From Spirit Spouses / Bible Scholars Solve This Riddle For Me / God Does Not Need Jesus To Forgive SIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.