Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,222 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 (12934 Views)

Real Reason I Resigned From Jonathan’s Govt As SURE-P Chairman – Christopher / Ibrahim Babangida , a.k.a. IBB - The Evil Architect Of Nigeria's Downfall / Ojukwus Pledge Of Igbos Support For Ibb- The Evil Genius A Cash Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 2:04pm On Feb 07, 2009
@mamajama
do you really want to delve into the reasons why abiola might not be trustworthy for the job?i dont think you do because there are a myriad of reasons
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 2:09pm On Feb 07, 2009
ode remo:

like something the world had not seen before.
yes,but im sure you wont hope or pray for your family or loved one to be involved or in that scenario yes?
ode remo:

stop repeating this nonsense, like what, civil war, we had that before, hunger , we have , corruption we have, not to give bakassi away , we have already done that, financial crisis, the man abiola was brilliant at accounting, so saving us from what.
and is the residue of the civil war gone?or havnt you seen the hatred displayed on here between ibos and other tribes?
the fact that abiola is good at accounting is not enough reason, iwu is a professor,yar adua was a chemistry lecturer,osunbor was a law professor
Big B1:

If you folks are so upset and crave for a change, why not return back home and fight for your rights?

thank you o,same thing i have been hammering on all these years grin grin grin
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 2:56pm On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

If you folks are so upset and crave for a change, why not return back home and fight for your rights?
All in your bid to push IBB through our necks now you're trying to force us home? No president has been able to question IBB since he withdrew drom the presidency. I'm very surprised he's still getting supports from people like you. Can you confess how much you're paid or is this really a free service from you? We're not buying no matter how well you try to sell.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2009
Funnily enough there is (partial) truth in what IBB said. Several officers WERE so opposed to MKO that they said they would overthrow him no matter what if he was sworn. The DG of military intelligence Brig Akilu was quoted as saying that "Abiola will be president over my dead body". Brig David Mark also said that he would shoot Abiola the day he was sworn in (yes - this is the same guy who is our current Senate President).

Gen Abacha also said "God forbid" the day when Abiola would be in a position to retire him.

In my opinion, this statement is not far from the truth. In his own unique way, IBB's intention was to protect Abiola and prevent the crumbling of a fragile nation.
IBB has never been a noise maker, but those who are very close to him know what was truly behind the annulment.

Again, Abiola and IBB were on the same side; what people refuse to understand is the fact that if IBB did not want Abiola to win the election in the first play, trust me, he wouldn't have won.
This is Nigeria and this is how things go down in this part of the world "98% of the time, the current president determines the destiny of the next president" It is that simple.

1 Like

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 3:51pm On Feb 07, 2009
IBB was compelled to nullify the election because of security threats to the enthronement of democratic government at the time.
It would have been a different story if IBB had annulled the election and then continued to lead this nation. He stepped down as promised.
Regardless of who was going to be the next president, the man (IBB) was done and had absolutely nothing to gain or loss if Abiola had taken over at that particular period.

Take a good look at the last presidential election in Zimbabwe.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 4:18pm On Feb 07, 2009
maxsiollun:

Funnily enough there is (partial) truth in what IBB said. Several officers WERE so opposed to MKO that they said they would overthrow him no matter what if he was sworn. The DG of military intelligence Brig Akilu was quoted as saying that "Abiola will be president over my dead body". Brig David Mark also said that he would shoot Abiola the day he was sworn in (yes - this is the same guy who is our current Senate President).

Gen Abacha also said "God forbid" the day when Abiola would be in a position to retire him.

IBB did not say anything new in this latest interview. For the past 15 odd years he has been telling all and sundry that had MKO been sworn in, he would have been overthrown in a violent coup within 6 months. He said this as far back as 1998-2000. As usual the Nigerian press missed it as they were pre-occupied with stories about ritual sacrifices, humans turning into snakes, and how "selective" Ribadu was.

Do you have a source for all you posted above? I mean we can all come on here to weave sweet tales, or we can deal in facts. I am guessing it is through the same media that you were able to get the above on IBB, so I wait to get source data from you.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2009
maxsiollun:

IBB did not say anything new in this latest interview. For the past 15 odd years he has been telling all and sundry that had MKO been sworn in, he would have been overthrown in a violent coup within 6 months. He said this as far back as 1998-2000. As usual the Nigerian press missed it as they were pre-occupied with stories about ritual sacrifices, humans turning into snakes, and how "selective" Ribadu was.
thank GOD there are still nigerians left who are prepared to look at issue objectively without clouding it with emotions and sentiments(hope you r nigerian)lol

instead of nigerians to focus on these pertinent issues above,they are castigating a single man,when the likes of david mark are still sitting in our supposed hallowed legilative halls of governance,talk about getting priorities wrong, as for evidence,you dont even ahve to sweat it as anyone asking you for evidence needs to prove he/she has direct evidence as well seeing as we all are operating under the realm of assumptions
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2009
@Lucabrasi, do you realize that you, only months ago, were arguing that Col Abubakar Umar(rtd) was correct in his statements about June 12th? I posted the same article so you can see how you cannot now claim IBB is right, and at the same time claim Col Abubakar was right some months ago?
You basically sang sweet songs of how the man is well respected and unbiased in your world, and so you believed he was right on his statements about reasons for the annulment. Now you claim IBB is right, which means Abubakar has to be wrong since on his list Abacha was against the annulment and Obasanjo was the MAIN reason for the annulment. Mind you Obasanjo would not have been able to carry out a coup since he was not part of the military even then (just in case you plan to come back with a dreamed up Obasanjo coup). Do you not see that you flipped on this issue?

Another thing is the new stance on this issue you seem to have taken on. Only some weeks ago, you mentioned June 12th as reason why you think the Nigerian people aren't coward, and how the leaders aka IBB are to blame. Now you tell us IBB made a good decision because of this new release, basically going back on the belief that June 12th was a crime against the people? If June 12th was right, then you are invariably saying that the Nigerian people are cowards for fighting a decision that according to your new stance was made in their own good. Am I the only one to notice these twists and turns in your arguments?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 5:02pm On Feb 07, 2009
No president has been able to question IBB since he withdrew from the presidency
@BOSS:
What the hell are you talking about?
Who are these presidents you're referring to? Don't you think that all these presidents have their own personal unanswered questions? Do you honestly think Shonekan, or  Abubakar, or Abacha or OBJ was in any position to question anybody?

Why do you think the probing of $17b electric power project is gradually evaporating?

Furthermore, do you think Obama administration will question Bush? If you think so, then it means you know nothing about politics.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2009
thank GOD there are still nigerians left who are prepared to look at issue objectively without clouding it with emotions and sentiments(hope you r nigerian)lol

instead of nigerians to focus on these pertinent issues above,they are castigating a single man,when the likes of david mark are still sitting in our supposed hallowed legilative halls of governance,talk about getting priorities wrong, as for evidence,you dont even ahve to sweat it as anyone asking you for evidence needs to prove he/she has direct evidence as well seeing as we all are operating under the realm of assumptions

You nailed it!
Gullible Nigerians continue to blame one man for everything, while their brothers and sisters continue to steal billions each and every day.
Our thinking process is severely despicable.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

@BOSS:
What the hell are you talking about?
Who are these presidents you're referring to? Don't you think that all these presidents have their own personal unanswered questions? Do you honestly think Shonekan, or  Abubakar, or Abacha or OBJ was in any position to question anybody?

Why do you think the probing of $17b electric power project is gradually evaporating?

Furthermore, do you think Obama administration will question Bush? If you think so, then it means you know nothing about politics.
If you think I know jack,then I must question your eyes at the same time. Is it not the same eyes that you're employing in having a partial sight at IBB? This is typical Nigerian politics I must say. People have really messed up to the core but they still have their die hard supporters in their nooks and crannies. I'm not looking out right now but looking at Nigeria. Of course most if not all,our past presidents have their unanswered questions and I hope this is not a ploy in trying to score a cheap point as to why you have your undying love for the man - IBB.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 5:13pm On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

You nailed it!
Gullible Nigerians continue to blame one man for everything, while their brothers and sisters continue to steal billions each and every day.
Our thinking process is severely despicable.

Are you serious? Do you really have a working brain? Calling Nigerians "gullible" for blaming IBB for the woes he caused over 80million people? In fact I'm lost for words. People like you need to be shot. straight up man. I'm sorry but you don't deserve any punishment less harsher.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 5:23pm On Feb 07, 2009
If you think I know jack,then I must question your eyes at the same time. Is it not the same eyes that you're employing in having a partial sight at IBB? This is typical Nigerian politics I must say. People have really messed up to the core but they still have their die hard supporters in their nooks and crannies. I'm not looking out right now but looking at Nigeria. Of course most if not all,our past presidents have their unanswered questions and I hope this is not a ploy in trying to score a cheap point as to why you have your undying love for the man - IBB.
My man, calm yourself down, you're making too much noise.
My point is, there is no such thing as perfect president and there will never be one.
For most Nigerians to cry like a bunch of pussy cats without even understanding the root of the problem, is sad.

And you're wrong; I'm not here to support IBB or justify his record, I'm just too small to take up that task.
I'm only here to make you realize that you can not continue to follow for the rest of your life just because you live in darkness; it's time for you to get your own flashlight.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 5:26pm On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

My man, calm yourself down, you're making too much noise.
My point is, there is no such thing as perfect president and there will never be one.
For most Nigerians to cry like a bunch of pussy cats without even understanding the root of the problem, is sad.

And you're wrong; I'm not here to support IBB or justify his record, I'm just too small to take up that task.
I'm only here to make you realize that you can not continue to follow for the rest of your life just because you live in darkness; it's time for you to get your own flashlight.

In as much as you made sense here, that still doesn't justify all the kudos you're offering IBB and I don't think he deserves it. You've given him too much of your energy while he should be doing otherwise (apologies).
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 5:28pm On Feb 07, 2009
Are you serious? Do you really have a working brain? Calling Nigerians "gullible" for baming IBB for the woes he caused over 80million people? In fact I'm lost for words. People like you need to be shot. straight up man. I'm sorry but you don't deserve any punishment less harsher.

This is nothing but a discussion between brothers and sisters; you need not to cross the line, my friend.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 5:30pm On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

This is nothing but a discussion between brothers and sisters; you need not to cross the line, my friend.
Apologies for taking it too personal. I must tell you though, my paents almost became paupers as a result of some IBB's personal intervention in our business and he did cheat us in a big way (as well as so many injustices out there). This dude caused a lot of peeps heartache and I feel you're being unfair giving him all these kudos as he doesn't deserve it.

I'm very sorry though for that comment.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by annyplenty(m): 5:36pm On Feb 07, 2009
LUCABRASI

Mind you, Babangida never wanted to quit. he wanted to be a field marshall but a group within the army was against that. you could imagine that, when he used his popular phrase "STEP SIDE" to create ambiguity of meanings to nigerian where he could have used a simple and straight forward RESIGN or RETIRE. His wife was even quoted to have told him it would be better for him to die in office than for her to be reffered to as former first lady.

Babangida cancelled the presidential primary elections held across nigeria which produced Late Shehu Musa Yar;Adua as the flagbearer of SDP and Mallam Adamu Ciroma as NRC flagbearer. Not only this, he also banned the likes of Olu Falae, Bamanga Tukur, Umar Shinkafi and 26 others who contested this primary from recontesting a subsequent primary which then produced ABIOLA for SDP and TOFA for NRC.

going by these, babangida had a record of cancelling elections and banning politicians to suit his selfish plans.
Now, i am not surprised at his excuses about june12 annulment. if he knew abacha was going to topple government, why did he leave him behind when they could have retired together. If Abiola was made president and toppled after 6 months would it not be better than imposing an interim govt which was not voted and was still toppled. could he not have hinted Abiola about possible coup and made Abiola more security conscious in government?

Babangida is desperately trying to make a comeback and he knows it might not be possible without first rewriting the history of june 12.

THIS MAN IS A JUGGERNAUT!
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by cvibe: 5:46pm On Feb 07, 2009
What a lame reason IBB gave.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Jakumo(m): 5:47pm On Feb 07, 2009
The genesis of the June 12th 1993 election cancellation dated back three years earlier, during the closing chapter of Ibrahim Babangida's military dictatorship, when, in April 1990, a renegade band of disaffected middle-ranking military officers, led by Major Gideon Okar, tried to seize power by storming Dodan barracks, then the seat of power in Nigeria.  

With the element of surprise on their side, the rebel forces converged on Dodan Barracks from their staging point at a frozen fish depot in Ikorodu.   The President's residence in Dodan Barracks was subjected to a furious and sustained barrage of fire, which Banangida narrowly escaped, before disguising himself and fleeing into hiding, where he remained for three days, during which time he negotiated by radio with General Sanni Abacha, his Chief of Staff, and the key army officer authorized at the time to mobilize the mechanized infantry counter-attack that would be required to disloge the now fortified coupists from Dodan Barracks.

As a condition for his authorisation of a counter-attack against the Gideon Okar coup forces in Lagos, Sanni Abacha insisted on, and duly extracted, a verbal pledge from his boss, the terrified and cornered Babangida, that REGARDLESS of the outcome of the approaching June 12 1993 election, General Sanni Abacha, and NO other person, would become the next president of Nigeria.  Once Babangida issued his succession pledge to Abacha, the order went out for the counter attack, and after a few hours of tank, machinegun and RPG exchanges in the streets of Lagos, the coup attempt was crushed and its leaders rounded up in subsequent days, preparatory to a quickly executed death sentence by firing squad for most of the captives.

The June 12 1993 election was thus doomed to fail even before the first ballot was cast, unknown to M.K.O. Abiola, billionaire philanthropist and business titan, who, against all odds, emerged the winner of what turned out to be Nigeria's freest and fairest presidential election to date, after joining the race in the wake of a sweeping disqualification purge that decimated the first field of politicians to register their names as presidential contestants in that election.

When the results of the June 12 1993 election were collated, and Abiola's landslide victory became more certain by the hour,  Sanni Abacha reminded Babangida of his succession pledge that would impose Abacha as Nigeria's next president, and the election annulment process was hastily fabricated and implemented in a matter of days, followed by the imposition of a puppet "Interim Government", led by a convenient lap-poodle called Earnest Sonekan, who soon gave way for Sanni Abacha to rule and ruin Nigeria at will.

Abiola fled Nigeria one night, after receiving a frantic phone call from a Babangida insider, warning that an assassination hit squad was en-route and minutes away from his Ikeja house, but Abiola was later lured back into Nigeria with false assurances by Abacha that June 12th election result would be honored without delay.    Abacha soon jailed Abiola for declaring himself Nigeria's new president, with standing instructions that the election winner NEVER escape incarceration.  That implied death penalty was carried out on Abiola in jail shortly after Sanni Abacha's own death in the midst of an orgy with Indian hookers,  who may or may not have slipped the diminutive general a lethal dose of poison.

The above account, that I wrote down as dictated from "The Horse's Mouth",  is the only true version of what happend to Nigeria's June 12th  1993 presidential election, irrespective of what Ibrahim Babangida says today or tomorrow.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by ohaechesi(m): 5:50pm On Feb 07, 2009
mr mallam, your reason for annulling the june 12 election as barbaric. host of you are full of evil.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Uche2nna(m): 1:28am On Feb 08, 2009
Two things I dont get :

First from Jakumo's  story

IBB gave his word to Abacha under duress. After the situation was taken care of and things returned back to normal , what stopped IBB then from renegading on his word?  undecided He does that all the time.

Then from IBB's story,
     He claimed the reason why he annulled the election was as a result of some inevitable coup. However, he also submitted that he had plans to carry out another round of elections in November that same year  shocked What would he have done to protect the winner of the Nov  elections from the inevitable coup d'etat?

My own story,
     IBB is full of shit.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 3:03am On Feb 08, 2009
Just my opinion:
For some reasons, many powerful big-wigs during that period didn't care too much for MKO; these folks were ready to immediately disable MKO administration. IBB knew this fact and few other top officials were also aware of it.
IBB in his own way thought he was preventing an inevitable calamity from occurring by annulling the election.
The opposition group was ready and determined; according to the record, MKO wasn't going to be in power more than 60 days.

Again, MKO and IBB were on the same side. You must also keep in mind that the election was annulled, but IBB did not stay in power. This would have been a different case if IBB had continued to stay in power.

Question for you guys: What exactly do you think IBB had to lose if the election wasn't annulled?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Jakumo(m): 6:04am On Feb 08, 2009
Uche2nna:

Two things I dont get :

First from Jakumo's  story

IBB gave his word to Abacha under duress. After the situation was taken care of and things returned back to normal , what stopped IBB then from renegading on his word?  undecided He does that all the time.

Babangida was forced to accept Abacha's Interim Government ploy under similar duress to that which pressured him to accept Abacha's succession plan during the chaotic and perilous aftermath of the 1990 Gideon Okar coup, three years earlier.

When it became apparent that Abiola would emerge as the winner of the June 12th election, Abacha loyalists threatened to KILL Babangida if the promise to hand over power to Abacha was not honored immediately. Babangida ultimately caved in under that threat, and complied with their orders by concocting an excuse to nullify the election.

And yes, as Big Bee pointed out, MKO and IBB were very close friends indeed, which made the June 12th election result annulment so devastating to both men.

Bottom line :  What is done is done, for better or worse.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2009
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12
« #135 on: Yesterday at 05:01:41 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Lucabrasi, do you realize that you, only months ago, were arguing that Col Abubakar Umar(rtd) was correct in his statements about June 12th? I posted the same article so you can see how you cannot now claim IBB is right, and at the same time claim Col Abubakar was right some months ago?
You basically sang sweet songs of how the man is well respected and unbiased in your world, and so you believed he was right on his statements about reasons for the annulment. Now you claim IBB is right, which means Abubakar has to be wrong since on his list Abacha was against the annulment and Obasanjo was the MAIN reason for the annulment. Mind you Obasanjo would not have been able to carry out a coup since he was not part of the military even then (just in case you plan to come back with a dreamed up Obasanjo coup). Do you not see that you flipped on this issue?

Another thing is the new stance on this issue you seem to have taken on. Only some weeks ago, you mentioned June 12th as reason why you think the Nigerian people aren't coward, and how the leaders aka IBB are to blame. Now you tell us IBB made a good decision because of this new release, basically going back on the belief that June 12th was a crime against the people?  If June 12th was right, then you are invariably saying that the Nigerian people are cowards for fighting a decision that according to your new stance was made in their own good. Am I the only one to notice these twists and turns in your arguments?
@kobojunkie
yes i admit i did say that,what you should ask is what has changed fr4om that time to now?
the fact that ibb has come outto give his own version albeit not a detailed one for now,i said colonel umar was right and yes he was that obasanjo was a pirme reason for the annulment,but that was not the only reason,im sure you realise that there will be dialogues going on that even coloel umar will not be privy to seeing as most of them will have known his stance on many issues,they will have had many meetings on these issues and sounded him out to know what side he belonged to and if not theirs,shut him out of their sensitive plans.

as for abubakar saying abacha was against the annullment,i never said that neither did i ever agree to that,however you can oblige me by showing me and everyone on here where i ever agreed to that salient point, to recap,i still stand on my points that colonel umar is unbiased and morally upstanding,i stand on my point that i believe him when he said obasanjo was a prime reason for the annullment,but i also believe ibb is right that abacha andhis co horts ALSO threatened not to allow abiola to ascend the throne as it was, it was popular knowledge that obasanjo totally opposed it as they were enemies.

i never said june12 wasnt a crime against the people neither am i justifying it to whitewash ibb,im just saying that in a pecliar country like ours,judging my all the funny stuffs that has happened and is still happening,nothing is impossible,and also if we juxtapose ibb's accounts with the comments credited to the likes of david mark and other a.f.r.c. members then,then it sounds credible so the case is ibb between the devil and the deep blue sea, he has to make a call and he did rightly or wrongly, its not peculiar to nigeria where presidents of head of states make deisions that people disagree with.did jimmy carter make the right or wrong decision to rescue american hostages when the iranians captured the american embassy??
some americans today believe he didnt  and it lost him the re-election,some believe he did, so its the same thing
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by mimohmi(m): 12:27pm On Feb 08, 2009

Hi All, to be candid IBB did made history with June 12, be good or bad. The whole affair then was like
a movie, where power play was at its best and got too complex for the players to handle. Abiola (May His soul rest in peace)
himself could not be exornorated from the play likewise Abacha (Soul Also rest in peace). It is a very long story that only
prosperity can judge.

IBB reasons are quit ok by me, if it is true that NATIONAL SECURITY was his reasons.

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Muza(m): 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2009
we shall know everything on the day of reckoning
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by mimohmi(m): 12:37pm On Feb 08, 2009

@Lucabrasi,
Just to clear your point about Obansajo been unable to plan coup cos he
no longer in the military. From my experience, planning a coup require
lots of finances. All coups in Nigeria were never financed by military men,
in fact they are just the executioners. To add, Abiola was one of the major
coup financier in Nigeria. Have forgotten the Obansanjo,Adisa and co story
against Abacha.

Let us just thank God that those thing happened in our history.

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2009
annyplenty:

LUCABRASI

Mind you, Babangida never wanted to quit. he wanted to be a field marshall but a group within the army was against that. you could imagine that, when he used his popular phrase "STEP SIDE" to create ambiguity of meanings to nigerian where he could have used a simple and straight forward RESIGN or RETIRE. His wife was even quoted to have told him it would be better for him to die in office than for her to be reffered to as former first lady.

Babangida cancelled the presidential primary elections held across nigeria which produced Late Shehu Musa Yar;Adua as the flagbearer of SDP and Mallam Adamu Ciroma as NRC flagbearer. Not only this, he also banned the likes of Olu Falae, Bamanga Tukur, Umar Shinkafi and 26 others who contested this primary from recontesting a subsequent primary which then produced ABIOLA for SDP and TOFA for NRC.

going by these, babangida had a record of cancelling elections and banning politicians to suit his selfish plans.
Now, i am not surprised at his excuses about june12 annulment. if he knew abacha was going to topple government, why did he leave him behind when they could have retired together. If Abiola was made president and toppled after 6 months would it not be better than imposing an interim govt which was not voted and was still toppled. could he not have hinted Abiola about possible coup and made Abiola more security conscious in government?

Babangida is desperately trying to make a comeback and he knows it might not be possible without first rewriting the history of june 12.

THIS MAN IS A JUGGERNAUT!
irrespective of his personal views,either he wanted to stay or not,at least he stepped aside,you think if he wanted to be a dictator he wouldnt have tried?the worst that ll happen is a kenya,congo,rwanda situation as long as he was still head of state,he could still marshall more millitary support than abacha and would get the popular support as well between the two, he has an amiable personality as opposed to abacha's foreboding and dark personality,where abacha is abrasive in nature,ibb is a smooth talker.

i dont want to speak ill of the dead,but do you realise abiola was privy to all these bannings?ask yourself why abiola didnt contest in all these elections?abiola admitted that he asked babangida IF HE SHOULD CONTEST THIS TIME AROUND, that tells you that ibb wasnt operating in a vacum but with the advise and support of some people including abiola, im sure you realise abiola's tribe and their ambition wasnt the only reason they were against him.

yes he had a record but advised by people close to him,politicians,yorubas,hausas,ibos e.t.cyou really think the atmosphere that time in the millitary would have allowed him to retire abacha?if he dared maybe he would be six feet under by now, look at the treatment meted out to shonekan who wasnt even a millitary man, reports alledge that a gun was put to his head to resign.
the point is that if abiola was president,it wouldnt have been that bloodless to topple,we all know that,more people would have died and the country would have gone up in flames,abiola with his connections would have gotten the internationalcommunity involved and we might still be at it till today, who knows

have you ever wondered why the americans,british didnt take a decisive stance after the whole thing before abiola died?
im sure he will want to re write the june 12 accounts,but there are some things that ll show through as a fraud,i see the stiory as credible after checking it against other accounts and its connection to them.
1.we know abacha was ambitions, check it against what he did to shonekan,then you ll know he wasnt going to retire without having a go at the presidency
2.we have heard from other accounts that the likes of david mark and co all vowed that they will never allow abiola,checkit against ibb's account
3.colonel umar has said it and others that obasanjo was also a prime factor,same as other yoruba politicians urging the millitary not to allow abiola to rule, im sure you remember the people that betrayed abiola from the yorubas,hausas,ibos, you remember the 1 million march in abuja,nzeribe e.t.c
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 12:45pm On Feb 08, 2009
mimoh_mi:

@Lucabrasi,
against Abacha.

exactly my point,irrespective of what we think about ibb as a person,that particular time in the history of nigeria was very decisive, we dont seem to realise that the ethnic tensions were still simmering even till now,coupled with the yorubas now ready to fight, imagine first the ibos then the yorubas joining in against their perceived enemies the hausas going against the hausas and millitary the bloodshed that ll ensue
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by mimohmi(m): 1:29pm On Feb 08, 2009

OK, guys here are more details on the guys and the June 12 saga.

The plot.

IBB was in charge until he annulled the election.
on the day of announcement, Abacha was at the airport on his
way to Lagos. He condemned the action openly and promised
to stand on June 12.

Nigerians protested and confusion within the military hierarchy, IBB not knowing
who to trust again and with pressure, he had two options, handover to abacha or
resign. AFRC came up with the option of interim national government. Next question
was who was to head it ? Since Abiola was from the West, Shonekan was recommended
and appointed to head it. His task was clear, organise another election with 6months or
max one year. Abiola and all the aggrieved parties were ok with the arrangement. End of
part 2.

Shonekan, president and Abacha Chief Of Defence Staff(CDS). Abiola, at this time still believed that June was
now a reality, since Abacha, his main man was the CDS. He then approach Abacha to pressure Shonikan to
resign. Things soon became too uncomfortable for Shonekan to handle, his fellow people from the West did not
help issue, as he was left alone. He got scared and resigned. You need to see him as the reviewing officer at
the Nigeria Defence Academy Passing Out Parade, faded face with expression of FEAR  End of part 3.

Then came Abacha, Head of State. The script was for him to take over from Shonekan, and handover
to Abiola (that was the only way without Election). REMEMBER "ABIOLA WAS THE FIRST PERSON
TO CONGRATULATE ABACHA AND EVEN PAID HIM A VISIT IN ASO ROCK". Both men were filled with smile.
End of part 4.

The next phase of the Abiola/Abacha's project was the handing over. Abacha told Abiola to relax for a while
to enable put some structure in place that will facilitate the handing over. But, after the guy testes that
hot sit, it was to precious to give away. Time was ruining out, Abiola felt betrayed and started mobilising
to pressure Abacha out of Office, the guy kept his fit down. Abiola had no choice that to go and declare
himself as the  Elected President Of Nigeria. The rest is history. Some of the so called pro June 12 started
seeking asylum in Britain and America collecting funds for themselves in the name of June 12.

I beg jare, all these guys come to public and think they are fooling Nigerians, at the back the sit together
with their daughters age mate, dining and wining together.

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Feb 08, 2009
@Lucabrasi, well, now I know how you think and function when it comes to issues such as these. If those words of yours make sense to you, then that is fine.

That only some weeks ago Col Abubakr was an honest man according to you, and today he is a liar, tells me more than I need to know. So, again, if that explanation is what you want to run with now, I say good for you.

mimoh_mi:

@Lucabrasi,
against Abacha.

I understand what you are trying to say but financing a coup is not same as taking over via a coup. Obasanjo could never have made it back as president or any leadership seat if he had financed a coup to get Abiola out. He knew, even any dumb slowpoke in that country knows that the millitary was never going to share power with anyone. IBB and Abiola were close friends ( at least that is the picture we got) but the very fact that after all the support IBB got from abiola, he turned around and stabbed the man in the back speaks volumes to the likes of Obasanjo, should he have been planning to engage in the same sort of relationship with anyone else. So, regardless of what we thought of the Obasanjo-Adisa story, unless we have solid proof of a planned coup by the man, why go on about him being the reason when the only person who mentioned Obasanjo never alluded to him planning a coup?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Nemeziz9ja: 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2009
All these nonsense speech Babangida is busy giving around is efforts to regain relevance!
His real reason for annulling June 12 was because he was insane in the brain!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cameroonian Army Kills Over 100 Boko Haram Militants / NNPC Averts $125 Million Fraud Targeted At FG / NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.