Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,761 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (46678 Views)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One / What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by jamex93(m): 3:13pm On May 04, 2015
ok
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by murphy02(m): 3:13pm On May 04, 2015
remmer56:
grin an in an automatic car, how do you downshift?

for automatic, you downshift to D2, then D1
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by wahalababe(f): 3:14pm On May 04, 2015
ok tnx. this is what we r supposed to be readin not all those celebrity photos.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by murphy02(m): 3:15pm On May 04, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
No pic of the emergency brake and all?

How do I downshift my auto gear when I need to tap my brake to change gear(s)?...and the brake is obviously not responding'

Anyway, I always say any day it happens(I never pray to experience it though) I would just find one gutter and settle myself.

you dont need to tap your break, just move the gear to D2, then D1.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by enthusiastica: 3:15pm On May 04, 2015
Thanks for the enlightenment. Where do i locate the emergency in Camry 2002 automatic
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by xynerise: 3:16pm On May 04, 2015
If only the woman on the passenger's seat will stop yelling "Chineke, Oluwa, Allah!" and let me concentrate

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by ideaz: 3:16pm On May 04, 2015
very informative!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by musulumi(m): 3:16pm On May 04, 2015
What about jumping off the car in time on motion before hitting d long vehicle in the front?

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 04, 2015
Uchehot:
Let me go and try it lol

Are u sick?
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by TopsyKrete: 3:19pm On May 04, 2015
Tru talk boss, thanks
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by lonelydora: 3:21pm On May 04, 2015
Do car brake still fail these days? Poor maintenance culture I must say. I thought it's only in trucks because of loss in air pressure due to leak anywhere in the system.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by pak: 3:21pm On May 04, 2015
proxitaly:
The first step for me is

DO NOT PANIC

Once you panic or go hysterical be sure to expect thumping on the gas pedal thinking its break.

Stay calm and take control of the situation

Thanks OP

Thanks
That's the first and most important advice in any emergency crisis situation
Panic shuts of the brain and makes the situation worse.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 04, 2015
ok.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by eleko1: 3:23pm On May 04, 2015
Saklekplus:
The guy after the lady above me just returned from yaba, but I don't know how he confused them that they allow him to leave the bed,all this can only happen during GEJ administration, where mentally ill people burst into the street..
u dey mind Ore MUMU.He kept shouting transformation while he luk pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by apholaryn: 3:27pm On May 04, 2015
scream blood of chisos!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nicepoker(m): 3:28pm On May 04, 2015
Etizz:

In an automatic car u will see D2, D3, move d gear to any of dem especially D3 den D2 in an interval of 4seconds respectively.
in some cars its more than four seconds. It depends on how the pcm is programmed to select gears.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by justi4jesu(f): 3:28pm On May 04, 2015
musulumi:
What about jumping off the car in time on motion before hitting d long vehicle in the front?

Don't ever try the James Bond stunt, too much of Fast & Furious 7 abi cheesy, My dear you are safer in the car.

The average person simply cannot cope with that kind of emergency intellectually and these armchair heroics just don't pan out in real life. So whatever reaction you take is going to have to be an ingrained automatic response as you'll only have a second to decide what to do. smiley

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by shamecurls(m): 3:29pm On May 04, 2015
Uchehot:
Let me go and try it lol

roflmao!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nicepoker(m): 3:29pm On May 04, 2015
LordCenturion:
Wetin concern me, we are talking about fuel, they are talking about break, does that relates?
of cos they do.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by galadima77(m): 3:29pm On May 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I love transformation I hate "change"
wait for 2023...
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nicepoker(m): 3:32pm On May 04, 2015
lonelydora:
Do car brake still fail these days? Poor maintenance culture I must say. I thought it's only in trucks because of loss in air pressure due to leak anywhere in the system.
of cos they do. Mechanical parts powered by fluids do fails easily.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by drnairalov: 3:34pm On May 04, 2015
Dcaliphate:
5. Be shouting at the top of ur voice 'no brake ooo',... 'no brake ooo',...

lol ur comment made my day

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Donpizzle(m): 3:34pm On May 04, 2015
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17
LOL at no.3
if u loose break for high speed ehn, d kind fear wey go grip u ehn,dis tins wey u write hear no go evn cross ur mind..prevention is better dan cure...check ur car very wel b4 drivin.God saves
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by grandstar(m): 3:34pm On May 04, 2015
You forgot to add pray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by dejii01(m): 3:38pm On May 04, 2015
Whenever I speed, the thought of my brakes failing keeps me in check. The thought of it scares the hell out of me. I don't wish it for anyone.

I have seen a horrible brake failure related accident. It was an eyesore.

*pukes*
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by amiskurie(m): 3:38pm On May 04, 2015
Houseofglam7:
Front page worthy!

Tired of em pics!!!
hi sweetie! smiley
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by dragnet: 3:40pm On May 04, 2015
All these are useful if you noticed the failure earlier, not when you're cruising on 180 and one vehicle suddenly makes a u-turn ahead of you from the opposite lanes.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by alienvirus: 3:41pm On May 04, 2015
ReneeNuttall:
Tnx fr d info,i will apply d info wen d time comes.......continues sipping hollandia
Pray it doesn't come because you may not remember the whole rhyme.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by erico2k2(m): 3:45pm On May 04, 2015
Nicepoker:
Don't try to downshift the transmission on automatic when vehicle is on motion. U will end up damaging the gear train. Don't even think of the emergency brake. Applying the rear brakes without the front brakes will skid ur vehicle over.
My exact thought,Plz guy never touch you hand brake, thats is flip in motion, those stunts pulled on you tube with hand brakes goes with front brakes being applied

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture Of Bugatti Veyron In Abuja. / Kenyans Mock Lagos Danfo (PHOTOS) / 12 People Die In Delta Accident (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.