Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (46679 Views)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One / What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by KingTom(m): 3:46pm On May 04, 2015
Etizz:

In an automatic car u will see D2, D3, move d gear to any of dem especially D3 den D2 in an interval of 4seconds respectively.
No D2 and co. Only D. sad

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by frisky2good(m): 3:48pm On May 04, 2015
If you are on high speed and you apply the emergency brake you are in for the spin of your life. I swear down.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by madjune(m): 3:52pm On May 04, 2015
Which one be. " Move towards the right shoulder of the road" kwanu?

If person dey 3rd mainland bridge, that means dem wan make you near ocean o.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by unite4real: 3:55pm On May 04, 2015
good
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by bastien: 3:59pm On May 04, 2015
I think there is indicator light on the dash board warning you of low brake oil and so...

Well best thing to do is to reduce your speed or if at all remove your leg from the gas pedal... .. .. Hint the nearest car in front of you to stop
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by erico2k2(m): 4:08pm On May 04, 2015
dejii01:
Whenever I speed, the thought of my brakes failing keeps me in check. The thought of it scares the hell out of me. I don't wish it for anyone.

I have seen a horrible brake failure related accident. It was an eyesore.

*pukes*
Always check your brake system regularly, this will help
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Houseofglam7(f): 4:15pm On May 04, 2015
amiskurie:

hi sweetie! smiley
Hello darl
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by nwadiuko1(m): 4:16pm On May 04, 2015
Abeg wia the hand brake dy for mercedes 230E? Make my old man no go Bleep em self up one day
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by amiskurie(m): 4:21pm On May 04, 2015
Houseofglam7:

Hello darl

My runaway princess smiley

LIFE!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by anigold(m): 4:22pm On May 04, 2015
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17

good one these are topics that should be making front pages...
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by just4fun(m): 4:26pm On May 04, 2015
Nice topic OP. Learnt something .

I think one shud also put on the hAzard light to warn other road users.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:29pm On May 04, 2015
Why do all that when you can simply do this..

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 04, 2015
frisky2good:
If you are on high speed and you apply the emergency brake you are in for the spin of your life. I swear down.

spin ke?
You meant tumble....hahahahahaha

I thought there was an emergency brake somewhere, now I know/think it's the same hand brake. I would be a fool to pull it in such circumstance.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by divinelove(m): 4:47pm On May 04, 2015
remmer56:
grin an in an automatic car, how do you downshift?

yes u can shift from D TO D1, D2 OR L

guess u have been taught today tongue
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Defcon1(m): 4:49pm On May 04, 2015
Nicepoker:
Don't try to downshift the transmission on automatic when vehicle is on motion. U will end up damaging the gear train. Don't even think of the emergency brake. Applying the rear brakes without the front brakes will skid ur vehicle over.
So what do you do, then?
Say your last prayer??
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by rrhostomy(m): 5:11pm On May 04, 2015
I wish i had read it a week ago. I was bashing cars....Gbese re ooo
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by sixtus3606(m): 5:18pm On May 04, 2015
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17

make i drain my brake fluid, come practicalise this awesome lecture!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 04, 2015
Dcaliphate:
5. Be shouting at the top of ur voice 'no brake ooo',... 'no brake ooo',...
hahaha!!!!in Lagos?
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Houseofglam7(f): 5:21pm On May 04, 2015
amiskurie:

My runaway princess smiley

LIFE!

Lol

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by ogundeleai(m): 5:23pm On May 04, 2015
My own experience is that changing from D to N on high speed do reduce velocity of a vehicle.. But that's my personal experience anyway... Another useful point I wish to add is that every driver should shift from D to N in a stand still traffic rather that matching brake pedal while the gear selector is in D. By doing so less tension, reduction in heat will be created between the drum and caliper .

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by austinesteve(m): 5:25pm On May 04, 2015
Dcaliphate:
5. Be shouting at the top of ur voice 'no brake ooo',... 'no brake ooo',...

LMAO!!!!.....
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 04, 2015
madjune:
Which one be. " Move towards the right shoulder of the road" kwanu?

If person dey 3rd mainland bridge, that means dem wan make you near ocean o.
grin

ona funny scara!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 04, 2015
rrhostomy:
I wish i had read it a week ago. I was bashing cars....Gbese re ooo
LOLcheesy
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Rubis(m): 5:37pm On May 04, 2015
Always check your car
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by repogirl(f): 5:38pm On May 04, 2015
Abeg how does one downshift on automatic?
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 04, 2015
Reading and assimilating all these goes down well in the comfort of your home in front of your laptop and your phone!

Drive at 160km/hr and when your brakes fail...see if you can remember any of these.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture Of Bugatti Veyron In Abuja. / Kenyans Mock Lagos Danfo (PHOTOS) / 12 People Die In Delta Accident (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.