Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,397 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (46663 Views)

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One / What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by kentozybee(m): 6:01pm On May 04, 2015
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17
But I Hear People Say That Both D Emergency Brake And Foot Brake Fail Together
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Dcaliphate(m): 6:14pm On May 04, 2015
drnairalov:

lol ur comment made my day
grin u r welcome
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Tongsman(m): 6:34pm On May 04, 2015
xynerise:
If only the woman on the passenger's seat will stop yelling "Chineke, Oluwa, Allah!" and let me concentrate

if U are a man, You dont need to tell the woman beside U that there is brake failure, just keep calm until everything is under control
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Edusouls(m): 7:35pm On May 04, 2015
hahahaha well its a good tips, but i have experienced brake failure, it happens so fast leaving u with sudden confusion and split seconds time to make decisions, so is really hard...

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by SenJoe(m): 7:56pm On May 04, 2015
Dcaliphate:
5. Be shouting at the top of ur voice 'no brake ooo',... 'no brake ooo',...
Now I know why they refused you certificate in Driving school. grin
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by ggiz: 8:03pm On May 04, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
No pic of the emergency brake and all?

How do I downshift my auto gear when I need to tap my brake to change gear(s)?...and the brake is obviously not responding'

Anyway, I always say any day it happens(I never pray to experience it though) I would just find one gutter and settle myself.
U don't need to tap ur break b4 u downshift, once it's on Drive mode u can shift to D3, D2 n D1 as d case may be without tapping d break.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by wtfCode: 8:28pm On May 04, 2015
i need a car to pratice this. Can anybody on NL borrow me a car to learn this stuff?
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 04, 2015
Nice and very educating..thank you very much! I don't have a car am just learning. God pls bless me with one some day.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by donem: 9:20pm On May 04, 2015
Dcaliphate:
5. Be shouting at the top of ur voice 'no brake ooo',... 'no brake ooo',...

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Omotayo7(m): 9:20pm On May 04, 2015
dridowu:
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL RECOMMENDS
THE FOLLOWING MEASURES FOR DRIVERS.
1. Downshift immediately
Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine
to slow the car, and may give you enough time
to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're
driving an automatic or a manual, try to
downshift smoothly through the gears. If you
downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not
shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your
power steering, and do not put the car in neutral
or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on
it to stop you
If you're driving a car with a good, strong
emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars
with manual transmissions, the emergency brake
is often operated via a hand-activated lever
located behind the shifter, while in many
automatics you use a small pedal located on the
far left of the driver. It helps to try your
emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how
much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon
as you can
Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if
possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to
change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully,
watching your mirrors and the traffic around you
closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal
Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not
touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to
slow down, pull over and safely stop.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152940504332017&id=141944577016&refid=17
By the way what kind of gear is advisable to put the car and using hand brake is too dangerous at that particular moment if care is not taken pls elaborate more
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 04, 2015
ggiz:

U don't need to tap ur break b4 u downshift, once it's on Drive mode u can shift to D3, D2 n D1 as d case may be without tapping d break.

ahhh.
I just don't feel comfy switching gears without tapping the brake, I have this feeling it would spoil my gear box.
That's my personal driving/automobile myth though. I'm sure some people share same fear with me.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by tolaxin(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

spin ke?
You meant tumble....hahahahahaha

I thought there was an emergency brake somewhere, now I know/think it's the same hand brake. I would be a fool to pull it in such circumstance.
pull it small small ni
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by HARDDON: 10:54pm On May 04, 2015
How can this tips be used to measure d speed @which d careless soul darting across d road wud depart early walk?

How does this apply to d indiat in front of me that just suddenly applies his breaks for a spiritual rodent he saw on road?

Wondering wor d heck I'm on about? Well these tips r for drunken men who, on starting off want to mk sure d breaks r there b4 they sell their souls n start diving gullies... 9 lives things

They r not for real life breaking moments when break really fails!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by balash(m): 1:20am On May 05, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

ahhh.
I just don't feel comfy switching gears without tapping the brake, I have this feeling it would spoil my gear box.
That's my personal driving/automobile myth though. I'm sure some people share same fear with me.

How Many People share same fear with you.. Madam You are on your own on that oo Lol, You no want spoil your gear box when u already have brake failure?

You funny O.. Lol
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by remmer56(m): 3:52am On May 05, 2015
Etizz:

In an automatic car u will see D2, D3, move d gear to any of dem especially D3 den D2 in an interval of 4seconds respectively.

and this reduces the speed swiftly in such an emergency? shocked
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by mrkings84(m): 6:27am On May 05, 2015
What's all these?? Let's join those buhari trekkers most especially now that fuel is scarce, that will even reduce break failure.
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by cardoso111(m): 6:39am On May 05, 2015
Instructor!the first reflex thi g to do is to PUT ON THE HAZARD LIGHT!then otner things follow pls!!!
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by Emekasmart(m): 8:14am On May 05, 2015
Nicepoker:
Don't try to downshift the transmission on automatic when vehicle is on motion. U will end up damaging the gear train. Don't even think of the emergency brake. Applying the rear brakes without the front brakes will skid ur vehicle over.
So wat do u suggest?
Re: Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? by daamazing(m): 10:04am On May 05, 2015
=opens page. .but i aint qat a car. .any possible way to try it on my bicycle*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Conversion RHD To LHD 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Sport / Kenyans Mock Lagos Danfo (PHOTOS) / 12 People Die In Delta Accident (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.