Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER (3964 Views)

Help A Frustrated And Helpless First Class Engineering Graduate / Engineering Graduate Trainee Recruitment At CGA Consulting / Olam Engineering Graduate Trainee Dragnet Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 10:39pm On May 04, 2015
I just can understand how an electrical engineering graduate will not know how to use a simple instrument like a voltage tester.

This new guy in my office shocked all of us on the field. We were trouble shooting for a fault in a distribution panel. During the course of this job a colleague of mine told the new guy to check for voltage on a particular cable using the tester with him, he supposedly tested and replied negative, my colleague was like "pls check again" he insisted there was nothing on the cable, my colleague so sure of what he has done at the other end i.e terminating the other end of the cable to a 220v supply came to verify for himself. He told him to check again in his presence only to discover that the guy in question did not place his thumb at the base of the tester to complete the circuit. The guy collected d tester from him and tested d cable himself and immediately the bulb on d tester came on. To our astonishment, dis guy was like pls show me, how did u do it? It just got me wondering the type of graduates our universities dish out to the society.

3 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Braaad: 10:52pm On May 04, 2015
clemzo101:
I just can understand how an electrical engineering graduate will not know how to use a simple instrument like a voltage tester.

This new guy in my office shocked all of us on the field. We were trouble shooting for a fault in a distribution panel. During the course of this job a colleague of mine told the new guy to check for voltage on a particular cable using the tester with him, he supposedly tested and replied negative, my colleague was like "pls check again" he insisted there was nothing on the cable, my colleague so sure of what he has done at the other end i.e terminating the other end of the cable to a 220v supply came to verify for himself. He told him to check again in his presence only to discover that the guy in question did not place his thumb at the base of the tester to complete the circuit. The guy collected d tester from him and tested d cable himself and immediately the bulb on d tester came on. To our astonishment, dis guy was like pls show me, how did u do it? It just got me wondering the type of graduates our universities dish out to the society.

if your company ever needs better electrical engineering graduates, they sure know were to get them...on the streets.

2 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2015
I'm very sure he was brought in through "Man know man" too bad
Braaad:

if your company ever needs better electrical engineering graduates, they sure know were to get them...on the streets.

1 Like

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by AgreatMan: 11:43pm On May 04, 2015
To our astonishment, dis guy
was like pls show me, how did u do it?

at least the guy is willing to learn. give him time, put hin thru, it's never late.

9 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by MacMaster01(m): 9:03am On May 05, 2015
don't be angry oh, but he is not an electrician, Nigerians should be able to understand and specify roles for their staff undecided, before u tackle me kindly read about the difference between an Engineer, a Technologist and a Technician.

Go and tell a civil engineer that he doesn't know how to use shovel na or lay blocks grin grin *I come in peace*

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by debbie(f): 9:26am On May 05, 2015
Bros i get your point...but basic practical knowledge as an electrical engineer is needed.tell me why an engineer cant identify resistors through color coding or differentiate between capacitors,transistors and thyristors sef angry, or why he cant use the digital meter.
But the fact is that our universities bring out half baked graduates,lecturers are not ready to teach,labs are not equipped and students are not even ready to sit down and study or carry out personal research work.
Too bad,those of them we call artisan workers on the streets are practically grounded than those of us that brag as engineers. undecided
MacMaster01:
don't be angry oh, but he is not an electrician, Nigerians should be able to understand and specify roles for their staff undecided, before u tackle me kindly read about the difference between an Engineer, a Technologist and a Technician.

Go and tell a civil engineer that he doesn't know how to use shovel na or lay blocks grin grin *I come in peace*

2 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by debbie(f): 9:29am On May 05, 2015
This is exactly what is commendable.......trust me,when i started work i had to ask plenty questions.Some sounded foolish and silly.People were wondering if i actually studied engineering,but today i am grateful that those questions took me far.
Learning is continuous.
AgreatMan:

at least the guy is willing to learn. give him time, put hin thru, it's never late.

3 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by link2jude(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2015
Who interviewed the fellow in the first instance...
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by link2jude(m): 9:47am On May 05, 2015
debbie:
Bros i get your point...but basic practical knowledge as an electrical engineer is needed.tell me why an engineer cant identify resistors through color coding or differentiate between capacitors,transistors and thyristors sef angry, or why he cant use the digital meter.
But the fact is that our universities bring out half baked graduates,lecturers are not ready to teach,labs are not equipped and students are not even ready to sit down and study or carry out personal research work.
Too bad,those of them we call artisan workers on the streets are practically grounded than those of us that brag as engineers. undecided

Please, electricity is the issue here ooh...
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by debbie(f): 9:53am On May 05, 2015
Yes i know.... smiley.
link2jude:

Please, electricity is the issue here ooh...
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Nobody: 11:07am On May 05, 2015
Well...... i must say that we don't study Engineering in Nigeria. We actually read (History of Engineering).

The guy in question may just be a brilliant fellow who probably never had the opportunity or platform to practice what he learnt(obviously the ill-existent state of our Engineering workshops and Laboratories in our varsities). From experience, most graduate Engineers who are technically handy and sound actually went out of their way( via trainings even with mainstream road side technicians, seminars/workshops, exhibitions) so as to equip themselves to handle real life challenges when they come. Imagine "GRADUATE TRAINEE ENGINEER'' so commonly used, because the truth is that graduate engineers know little or nothing.

Please, OP don't be so fast to judge the guy. Am impressed with the fact that he is ready to learn.

2 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by engrachile4ree: 11:08am On May 05, 2015
piint of currection mr "too know" that tool does not test for voltage but current. you more ignorant than the poor graduate in question.
try research on who an artisan, technician, technologist, engineer and a consultant engineer/ their roles are.
that graduate does not knw who he realy is he shouldnt hv accepted to do the job of a technician in the first place.
and for the graduate, it is espected of him that he should know how to use simple electrical tool like current tester but if he does not knw it its not the fault if Nigerian university.

3 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by ukeme200(m): 12:26pm On May 05, 2015
Don't blame the young man. Our university/polytechnic do not have platform for students to be practically grounded. After my ND(E/E), I had to join a training programe for 2yrs to be well grounded in this noble field, before going bk to skul to become a graduate Technologist. Today I am better of.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Neyozak: 1:09pm On May 05, 2015
clemzo101:

I think ur sense of judgement on dis guy is too harsh. Firstly u need to be questioned where u got ur experience? Am sure u never got dis experience as an undergraduate or fresh graduate. We-we know now, what will do during practicals in school days. It is either no consumables or d lab is congested with practical theory discussion ongoing.And all we do is get ur graph drawn, submit and u are done. Don't be surprised many graduate of engineering can not even fix ceiling fan perfectly or resolve simple wiring faults in der individual residents. D question is were d thought? We were just too busy with HISTORY OF ENGINEERING just like somebody said and not d koko in school. Almighty Laplace Transform, Fourier Series, Jacoby, Op -amps, circuit Theory, etc were d order of d days when we were in school. All applications learnt were just theories and no practical supports. How many engineering graduates can boldly affirmed dat he/she did final year project in school. All we do is, go to library or find out from outgone graduates to get ready made project topics. Get one or two and summit for approval. D good 4 nothing supervisors who suppose to go through d processes of d project work with a student only collect project pay from d student and mark paper reports. D stress on d part of student is re-writing of chapters in d paper report. PLS DONT BLAME D GUY. U CAN BE SURPRISED HE CAN EVEN BE BETTER THAN U WHEN PUT THROUGH OVER TIME. D PROBLEM IS FROM OUR INSTITUTIONS.

2 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by DaEngineernet: 1:18pm On May 05, 2015
Don't miss this opportunity!!!

Free Scholarship Training with CADD CENTRE Nigeria for Engineers http://go.engineer-ng.net/forum/topics/free-scholarship-training-with-cadd-centre-nigeria-for-engineers

Airtel Graduate Trainee Program (2015/16) http://go.engineer-ng.net/forum/topics/airtel-graduate-trainee-program-2015-16
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Nature129(m): 3:10pm On May 05, 2015
MacMaster01:

Go and sit. You don't have a point. Some people are so concious of "differentating x and y" and they forget they are meant to be engineers NOT x and y differentiors.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by jpphilips(m): 3:39pm On May 05, 2015
clemzo101:

Must be a Madonna graduate
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by jpphilips(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2015
Neyozak:

I think ur sense of judgement on dis guy is too harsh. [b]Firstly u need to be questioned where u got ur experience? Am sure u never got dis experience as an undergraduate or fresh graduate. [/b]We-we know now, what will do during practicals in school days. It is either no consumables or d lab is congested with practical theory discussion ongoing.And all we do is get ur graph drawn, submit and u are done. Don't be surprised many graduate of engineering can not even fix ceiling fan perfectly or resolve simple wiring faults in der individual residents. D question is were d thought? We were just too busy with HISTORY OF ENGINEERING just like somebody said and not d koko in school. Almighty Laplace Transform, Fourier Series, Jacoby, Op -amps, circuit Theory, etc were d order of d days when we were in school. All applications learnt were just theories and no practical supports. How many engineering graduates can boldly affirmed dat he/she did final year project in school. All we do is, go to library or find out from outgone graduates to get ready made project topics. Get one or two and summit for approval. D good 4 nothing supervisors who suppose to go through d processes of d project work with a student only collect project pay from d student and mark paper reports. D stress on d part of student is re-writing of chapters in d paper report. PLS DONT BLAME D GUY. U CAN BE SURPRISED HE CAN EVEN BE BETTER THAN U WHEN PUT THROUGH OVER TIME. D PROBLEM IS FROM OUR INSTITUTIONS.

So an undergraduate shouldn't get knowledge outside the confine of the classroom? How do you guys reason?
the other bingo said, differentiate between an Engineer and a technician, can you Imagine?
As an electrical graduate, do you know the kinda complex designs that await you out there and we are talking of ordinary tester? when Scientists can use multimeter testers?
Reminds me of someone who was a computer scientist but cannot use Excel spreadsheet, by the time she opened the second programme running on the system and saw "SAP".
She apologised to her new employers for wasting their time. As a student, you have time but you spend it typing nonsense on nairaland romance section, when you graduate, you blame your school for not teaching you Excel, funny enough, she must have owned a laptop for years as a student using it to watch p0rn!

2 Likes

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by goldfish80(m): 6:35pm On May 05, 2015
I can't think of am excuse why an electrical electronics engineer cannot handle a common tester. As an EE student, a student is supposed to design complex circuits first with software simulators then with V/board. If after 5years of training, a student cannot handle a simple tester, then it's safe to class such a person is unemployable because it's only a matter of time before he kills himself or his colleague.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by alotofgrace(m): 9:40pm On May 05, 2015
clemzo101:

Who told u they showed us How to use tester? I can remember when doing Electrical ELA, the supervisor would say "assuming the speed is 400rev/min,then the Vout will be... "

We did a bunch of old theories and had A.... Every practical thing I know was as a result of my being the technical director in fellowship.

Na this wan we go see...we nor dey see accountant wey nor saving balance or English graduate that speaks missiles sad
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 1:22am On May 06, 2015
Sure we are teaching him. We were just surprised
AgreatMan:

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 1:30am On May 06, 2015
U cannot supervise what u don't know Oga, an engineer is d head of the group of the engineering family I believe u can recall. If u don't know what a technician is doing den how den do u supervise him. Pls don't say dis again jare. What makes u an engineer is d ability to know the theory behind whatever practical or further still why it is bin done, not sitting in d office forming engineer, u better have a rethink. U made mention of a civil engineer if a civil engineer does not know how to use civil engineering instruments den he's not worthy of one. Atleast I have worked in a construction company b4, u will see d project manager showing d brick layers exactly what he wants and how he wants d job to be done, he will collect d handy instrument from dem and show dem.
MacMaster01:

1 Like

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 1:52am On May 06, 2015
I xpected people like u bro. U are free to say whatever u want. I won't argue with u.
engrachile4ree:
piint of currection mr "too know" that tool does not test for voltage but current. you more ignorant than the poor graduate in question.
try research on who an artisan, technician, technologist, engineer and a consultant engineer/ their roles are.
that graduate does not knw who he realy is he shouldnt hv accepted to do the job of a technician in the first place.
and for the graduate, it is espected of him that he should know how to use simple electrical tool like current tester but if he does not knw it its not the fault if Nigerian university.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:00am On May 06, 2015
This is exactly what I'm saying, people keep blaming Nigerian Universities for their woes. Fine d skools haven't been fair but must u den relax and say it's because dey didn't teach me in skool. U need to ground urself in whatever field u find urself. Good job man, keep doing what u are doing u will hit it real big soon.
ukeme200:
Don't blame the young man. Our university/polytechnic do not have platform for students to be practically grounded. After my ND(E/E), I had to join a training programe for 2yrs to be well grounded in this noble field, before going bk to skul to become a graduate Technologist. Today I am better of.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:04am On May 06, 2015
God bless u my broda.
jpphilips:

So an undergraduate shouldn't get knowledge outside the confine of the classroom? How do you guys reason?
the other bingo said, differentiate between an Engineer and a technician, can you Imagine?
As an electrical graduate, do you know the kinda complex designs that await you out there and we are talking of ordinary tester? when Scientists can use multimeter testers?
Reminds me of someone who was a computer scientist but cannot use Excel spreadsheet, by the time she opened the second programme running on the system and saw "SAP".
She apologised to her new employers for wasting their time. As a student, you have time but you spend it typing nonsense on nairaland romance section, when you graduate, you blame your school for not teaching you Excel, funny enough, she must have owned a laptop for years as a student using it to watch p0rn!
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:07am On May 06, 2015
Thank u my broda. I really can't phantom that. It still shocks me till today.
goldfish80:
I can't think of am excuse why an electrical electronics engineer cannot handle a common tester. As an EE student, a student is supposed to design complex circuits first with software simulators then with V/board. If after 5years of training, a student cannot handle a simple tester, then it's safe to class such a person is unemployable because it's only a matter of time before he kills himself or his colleague.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:22am On May 06, 2015
Despite the fact that our universities haven't actually being fair to us must we now sit down doing nothing about our predicament? I still know engineers who are graduates from d so called universities and are doing very well for demselves. I have 3 mentors and none of dem ever traveled out to study but today dey are great engineers I look up to. I think part of the blame shld go to our students too. What stops an Electrical/ Electronic student from following an electrician or technical in his free periods at home. I still say it's a thing of interest. If u are not interested in studying a particular course pls just stay away from it. Just like a poster has said u will end up killing someone or even killing urself, electrical engineering is too sensitive not to know what u are doing. As for those dat think an engineer's job is only to sit and be ordering technicians about, I will say it without mincing words that u are very wrong, in as much as u are suppose to be d head of that group, it's ur duty to know what dey are doing b4 u even think of supervising or controlling dem, and if the technicians know u are not grounded they will put u to test and wen u fail den u will loose ur respect. Moreover when there is a problem dat d technicians cannot solve dey run to u for assistance and expect u to atleast do something since u are in anoda level will u not follow dem to d place? Will u remain in d office? I ve worked under great engineers and all of dem are practically grounded. Pls don't be deceived dat u don't need practical u need it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Nobody: 6:06am On May 06, 2015
MacMaster01:

SHUT UR MOUTH UP! An electrical engineer cant use basic tools and instruments and u are saying rubbish! what is d essence of rigorous instrumentation and testing method he did in school. assuming an engineer is to design, wouldn't he no verify or commission his designs! simple truth! the guy is a disgrace. to the power family! i am technologist and proud of it
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Nobody: 6:09am On May 06, 2015
clemzo101:
Despite the fact that our universities haven't actually being fair to us must we now sit down doing nothing about our predicament? I still know engineers who are graduates from d so called universities and are doing very well for demselves. I have 3 mentors and none of dem ever traveled out to study but today dey are great engineers I look up to. I think part of the blame shld go to our students too. What stops an Electrical/ Electronic student from following an electrician or technical in his free periods at home. I still say it's a thing of interest. If u are not interested in studying a particular course pls just stay away from it. Just like a poster has said u will end up killing someone or even killing urself, electrical engineering is too sensitive not to know what u are doing. As for those dat think an engineer's job is only to sit and be ordering technicians about, I will say it without mincing words that u are very wrong, in as much as u are suppose to be d head of that group, it's ur duty to know what dey are doing b4 u even think of supervising or controlling dem, and if the technicians know u are not grounded they will put u to test and wen u fail den u will loose ur respect. Moreover when there is a problem dat d technicians cannot solve dey run to u for assistance and expect u to atleast do something since u are in anoda level will u not follow dem to d place? Will u remain in d office? I ve worked under great engineers and all of dem are practically grounded. Pls don't be deceived dat u don't need practical u need it.

WISE TALK! And that's what i did back in school and made my first million naira @ 27yrs old via private electrical practice
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by Lero15(m): 7:35am On May 06, 2015
debbie:
Too bad,those of them we call artisan workers on the streets are practically grounded than those of us that brag as engine ers. undecided
So on point!!

1000 likes
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:21pm On May 06, 2015
Like seriously I don't xpect some people to come here and be supporting mediocrity Xcept may be u are like him too. Let's not support something that is bad. What is bad is bad and what is good is good.
Re: An Electrical Engineering Graduate Doesnt Know How To Use TESTER by clemzo101(m): 2:22pm On May 06, 2015
10000000 likes, atleast it paid off and u are reaping it. Nice one my broda
ngskylark:

WISE TALK! And that's what i did back in school and made my first million naira @ 27yrs old via private electrical practice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Janchine Nig Ltd, Real Or Scam? / JOIN CONNECT SOCIAL MEDIA FOR FREE AND SHARE IN THE COMPANY REVENUE / Finally Landed A Very Good Job Even In This Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.